Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I love that the serious martial arts hobbyist game dev used a sound sample from Shenmue this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s really depressing that the project ended up like this. It seems extremely ambitious and what I saw of it was absolutely hilarious. I really feel for the devs that poured their heart and soul into the game. Every one of them is amazing and talented and I really hope one day I can see their work. I look forward to supporting their projects and I’d love to see them all (well maybe minus bhroom) collaborate again once they’re done with their current games.
Out of curiosity, since you guys seem to have access to the current build of Barkley 2, is there anything stopping one of you from uploading it as a demo? Aside from upsetting bhroom I mean

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

TheNamedSavior posted:

Translation: "I've only played Final Fantasy so therefore I am knowledgable about an entire genre to state my uninformed opinion about it as fact."

I'm not even very much of a JRPG fan but this is literally "how not to make an argument" 101. Imagine if you saw someone hating on Western RPGs because of Fallout 4, or Mass Effect 3, or Invisible War, or loving Wizardry 4 (not a bad game, but a lot of people just STRAIGHT UP can't get out of the first loving room, and that's not good game design). This is literally it.

Dark Souls is a loving jrpg and it barely resembles FF at all. But you'd think it was a western game if you listened to forums like something awful's causally Orientalist nonsense towards literally anything made by Asians.

Cool, casual ableism. Totally isn't gross or immature at all~!

Jeez, that's funny, saying japanese media is totally more pedophilic than the west you guys is literally one of THE oldest way for racists to depict Asia as being awful monsters when literally half of Hollywood is run by pedophiles. Love that the post doesn't even give out any examples of "average classic jrpgs" being transphobic pedo rape fantasies. As we all know, the best way to frame an argument is to not give examples at all.

Someone needs to power down the truck pump.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Re: Barkley being problematic or not, not everyone is an alt-right edgelord or hyper-woke carelord. It’s ok to admit some things in the game are kinda problematic and/or wouldn’t fly nowadays and it’s okay to still enjoy them. I don’t think any of Barkley 1’s jokes were malicious and were all tongue in cheek. Aspergers being a JRPG status effect that’s cured by alcohol is funny to me. The joke is not “hey people with aspergers SUCK,” it’s that it’s a ridiculous status effect like glaucoma is and alcohol being the “antidote” for social awkwardness. But if it’s not funny to you that’s fine and understandable. I think if those jokes all really offend you though SA is ultimately probably not the site you want to be posting on.

Dabir posted:

Come on, don't be obtuse. They were born as one thing, always felt in their hearts that they were really something else, they were persecuted because of it, they desperately seek out surgery to make their outer selves resemble their inner selves... Remind you of anything?

E: That said, looking at your rap sheet, your brand seems to be lazy trolling, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

The (unintentional) coding’s there of course, but it should be noted that the sewer-furries are parodying otherkin. There are legitimately people that claim they’re magic kitsune dragons, angels or even Sephiroth on the inside and if making fun of teens that tell everybody they’re secretly the reincarnation of Naruto is wrong then drat it I don’t want to be right. ...But yeah, in the end I can completely understand why someone who is trans might feel uncomfortable playing it. It’s one of those parts like the neo shekels where it’s innocuous but couldn’t/shouldn’t be added nowadays.

But anyway enough of all of that, it’s making GBS threads up the thread. I want to hear more dev stories or drama!

As a palette cleanser watch this vaguely related video my friend (who also burned out and I hope will one day make stuff again) made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an4_IPffyL0

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think alot of people talking about the furry section seem to forget just how WEIRD furry culture was before and during the time that Barkley 1 released. The whole Totem Animal and wishing to BE the animal was in full swing, and you had alot of particularly crazy folks doing that sort of stuff. They were also REALLY LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS, basically defining their whole existence and communications around it and forcing it on everyone. it was unbelievably difficult to get away from in early internet, and it's no wonder jokes and ridicule were flung at them constantly (much like Bronies are now if you want to grasp how bad it was.)
These days those kinds of people are much fewer and far between, or at the very least aren't loud as hell. The codifying was really JUST "furries are loving weird and some of them would actually do this haha".

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd like to say that I appreciate the BALLRE tactics guy adding detail to that part of the mystery. Really hope to play it one day.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Star Guarded posted:

Hey folks. My close friend who was the coder on bball tactics wanted to chime in with his own story about development, after reading through the thread. I'm posting it for him because he doesn't have an SA account. Note that I am not the coder of bball tactics.

This is cool as h*ck. I’d like to purchase TTX please and thank you

Love,
Basketball
🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, why not rebrand TTX a little and release it as your own app?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I think alot of people talking about the furry section seem to forget just how WEIRD furry culture was before and during the time that Barkley 1 released. The whole Totem Animal and wishing to BE the animal was in full swing, and you had alot of particularly crazy folks doing that sort of stuff. They were also REALLY LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS, basically defining their whole existence and communications around it and forcing it on everyone. it was unbelievably difficult to get away from in early internet, and it's no wonder jokes and ridicule were flung at them constantly (much like Bronies are now if you want to grasp how bad it was.)
These days those kinds of people are much fewer and far between, or at the very least aren't loud as hell. The codifying was really JUST "furries are loving weird and some of them would actually do this haha".

Also iirc this was the cesspool X stuff? A lot of the harsher stuff around that point in the game iirc was ripping on some rpg maker dev group that started posting on gaming w to really obnoxiously advertise their own game that was a really pretentious ripoff of Coheed and Cambria concept album stuff. They flipped out after they got relentlessly mocked a bunch, then decided GW was garbage and started angrily calling the place "cesspool x" on their own community's forum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Re: Cesspool X.

If I recall, Chef went on an actual furry forum and went in an art thread and passionately asked if someone could draw his fursona, Zalatar the humanoid Turkey. Someone did, and that's the artwork used for Zalatar's mugshot in-game.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

If I recall, Chef went on an actual furry forum and went in an art thread and passionately asked if someone could draw his fursona, Zalatar the humanoid Turkey. Someone did, and that's the artwork used for Zalatar's mugshot in-game.

Lmao

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rhopunzel posted:

shut up retard

Please can we use better and more creative words than this.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I also fondly remember the poetry forum thread that gave the "left me feeling smashing" line.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

VideoGames posted:

ToGster.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I like this a lot! :D

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VideoGames posted:

tardburglar

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
forums poster

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IronicDongz posted:

forums poster

too far man

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

forums poster

Kickstarter backer or, "KB"

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I just call big idiots "dunderdinks"

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

VideoGames posted:

b*ka

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Dark Bakas

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Diabetes Forecast posted:

otherkin were never really a thing and was always just a few weird but harmless teenagers roleplaying online being signal boosted and taken very seriously by the guys who thought South Park doing an episode about how being trans and turning yourself into a dolphin were literally the same thing was The Good poo poo

it's ok to move on

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

otherkin were never really a thing and was always just a few weird but harmless teenagers roleplaying online being signal boosted and taken very seriously by the guys who thought South Park doing an episode about how being trans and turning yourself into a dolphin were literally the same thing was The Good poo poo

it's ok to move on

We get it, you weren’t around on net in the early 2000s, can you just move on

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

weird 2 think that context can change and stuff that had an intended meaning 10 years ago can be read with a different meaning now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think it would be funnier if the sewer people were in exile for being passionate soccer fans or something instead of the punching down

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

then they have a sympathetic tie to barkley but you can also hate them because soccer sucks

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

oddium posted:

i think it would be funnier if the sewer people were in exile for being passionate soccer fans or something instead of the punching down

Why are you even on these forums if making fun of weirdos on the internet is too much for you. I literally found out about something awful because someone from here was making fun of me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nobody cares

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
actually the correct terminology is subhuman, you fake rubbernecker fans.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Why are you even on these forums if making fun of weirdos on the internet is too much for you. I literally found out about something awful because someone from here was making fun of me.

Similarly, I learned about it because someone complained their friend was being made fun of and I looked and laughed and they were all "WTF?"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

rodbeard posted:

That was 15 years ago, most of us have grown up a bit in that time

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Thanks TTX guy for answering my stupid throwaway z-height question (unironically, the mountain pass is a good reason)

Also that post made me just want to play some B-Ball Tactics :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheNamedSavior posted:

Dark Souls is a loving jrpg and it barely resembles FF at all. But you'd think it was a western game if you listened to forums like something awful's causally Orientalist nonsense towards literally anything made by Asians.

jrpg doesn't just mean "an rpg type game from japan".

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I genuinely like the idea of replacing the combat with BBall tactics...hell, use the gun'sbreeding system to generate ballers instead ..

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I like this, and it reminds me that the slam jam remixes were the original guile's theme goes with everything.

Turn based basketball sounds awesome, someone give us that!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wanna meet up with the regular men who say stuff like This Is The Site That Gave Us Swap Dot Avi And Tribute Dot File Extension and hold their adorable hands and make soothing noises at them about how it's pretty ok, generally, that things aren't extremely 2004 anymore

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chas McGill posted:

I genuinely like the idea of replacing the combat with BBall tactics...hell, use the gun'sbreeding system to generate ballers instead ..

it really is bizarre that the guy comes up with this tactics thing and doesn't think hmmm let's make this the rpg's combat.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really is bizarre that the guy comes up with this tactics thing and doesn't think hmmm let's make this the rpg's combat.

probably because they wanted the game to be based around quests and exploration and that doesnt really jive with tactical gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

babypolis posted:

probably because they wanted the game to be based around quests and exploration and that doesnt really jive with tactical gameplay.

that's... not really the case. Original Sin etc