Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Just offset your labor footprint by buying Crunch Credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

Does how a games made not have an influence on its good or badness?

in the end, not really, because its just a game, which is one of the more inconsequential purchases somebody can make in the grand scheme of things.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Oops I mean wait until the game is like 1-3 years old and scoop it up for cheap so you don't directly contribute to the immediate sales numbers that are relevant to the publisher and get all the DLC and patches included for like 10 bucks at most

There absolutely is going to be DLC for any game you feel like doing this for on moral grounds

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol so apparently a fully digitized version of Keanu Reeves is in Cyberpunk 2077, aren't celebrity tie-ins almost always a kiss of death for video games?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

signalnoise posted:

Oops I mean wait until the game is like 1-3 years old and scoop it up for cheap so you don't directly contribute to the immediate sales numbers that are relevant to the publisher and get all the DLC and patches included for like 10 bucks at most

There absolutely is going to be DLC for any game you feel like doing this for on moral grounds

This is just a good idea in general, you dodge SO MUCH overhyped dreck.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

QuarkJets posted:

lol so apparently a fully digitized version of Keanu Reeves is in Cyberpunk 2077, aren't celebrity tie-ins almost always a kiss of death for video games?

Maybe 20 years ago.

People today slurp that poo poo up.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Clancy Brown and Lance Henriksen fuckin owned in Detroit, but then they own in literally everything they do.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

"Treating employees badly" has a different meaning across industries, CDPR folk are still highly paid (adjusting for the cost of living in EE) computer touchers with high job satisfaction despite the numerous crunch periods. I know this is making light of serious work-life balance problems people have reported, but Amazon warehouse staffers would kill to have problems like this. Maybe get the preorder with Prime delivery to offset the crime.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol at the goons tripping over themselves to denounce the game of the year of 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Clancy Brown and Lance Henriksen fuckin owned in Detroit, but then they own in literally everything they do.

Woah, I was not aware of this

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

poverty goat posted:

lol at the goons tripping over themselves to denounce the game of the year of 2020

I think you hallucinated that?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

My unpopular opinion is that you should buy video games you think are good and not buy video games you think are bad. It's a much better system than futile attempts to save the world through Woke Purchasing Techniques (sponsored by Amazon Prime).

I like when people use "being woke" as an insult, it really makes it easy to ID who is a lovely person. Like they've figured out using "SJW" is too obvious and so have moved on. No one here is trying to save the world, we just don't pretend our purchases are completely divorced from how companies behave to make ourselves feel better about being selfish.

As far as the Witcher game goes I like my games less talky more stabby. In fact I'm so sick of games that drag their games out with anything but game play. Travel, lovely UIs, "setup" time etc. Just let me play your loving game and stop trying to pad your time played metric.

I also don't appreciate the two emailed ads I got for Cyberpunk from Steam and GOG.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

No one here is trying to save the world, we just don't pretend our purchases are completely divorced from how companies behave to make ourselves feel better about being selfish.

Honestly I agree that this is a good thing to do. But when people make their stands in the dumbest places possible I'm gonna mock them. Dumping products like Dungeons & Dragons because one designer was bad on twitter, or CD Projekt Red because the Polish computer touchers are working too many hours is ok. But if you dump them for those slights while still believing your Amazon Prime is just too cool and good to get rid of then you're a loving tool and deserve mockery (not directed at you, but someone in this thread recently).

Like it's one thing to go for Activism in Purchasing. But getting up in arms over random entertainment products while completely abiding the gross damage being cause by mega corps like Amazon is peak slactivism and it's lame as hell.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Chomp8645 posted:

Honestly I agree that this is a good thing to do. But when people make their stands in the dumbest places possible I'm gonna mock them. Dumping products like Dungeons & Dragons because one designer was bad on twitter, or CD Projekt Red because the Polish computer touchers are working too many hours is ok. But if you dump them for those slights while still believing your Amazon Prime is just too cool and good to get rid of then you're a loving tool and deserve mockery (not directed at you, but someone in this thread recently).

Like it's one thing to go for Activism in Purchasing. But getting up in arms over random entertainment products while completely abiding the gross damage being cause by mega corps like Amazon is peak slactivism and it's lame as hell.

Lol no it was him who said that about Amazon

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sid Vicious posted:

Lol no it was him who said that about Amazon

lol I didn't even check, I just assumed it had been someone else because who would stick their flag on that hill.

Duck and Cover you're lame as hell lol.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I like when people use "being woke" as an insult, it really makes it easy to ID who is a lovely person. Like they've figured out using "SJW" is too obvious and so have moved on. No one here is trying to save the world, we just don't pretend our purchases are completely divorced from how companies behave to make ourselves feel better about being selfish.

As far as the Witcher game goes I like my games less talky more stabby. In fact I'm so sick of games that drag their games out with anything but game play. Travel, lovely UIs, "setup" time etc. Just let me play your loving game and stop trying to pad your time played metric.

I also don't appreciate the two emailed ads I got for Cyberpunk from Steam and GOG.

:ironicat:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Duck and Cover posted:

:ssh: the conversations are the gameplay

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Anyone have actual links to the dnd nerd being a neo nazi? That's a serious accusation to throw around with no proof

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I am generally a gameplay above all else guy but the writing and presentation in Witcher 3 are top class.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Things aren't generally all or nothing and people who perpetuate that are doing harm.

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I didn't even check, I just assumed it had been someone else because who would stick their flag on that hill.

Duck and Cover you're lame as hell lol.

I think you should try reading the the discussion before jumping in to call people lame, or up in arms. Like how is that productive at all? I'm guilty of it too from time to time, but at least I feel foolish when my skimming misinterpreted something. Oh poo poo guess being a hypocrite makes what's being said wrong! I should just pretend to be perfect.

Ruffian Price posted:

:ssh: the conversations are the gameplay

That's fair. Like a game can do that and not be for me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 10, 2019

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Duck and Cover posted:

Things aren't generally all or nothing and people who perpetuate that are doing harm.

I think you should try reading the the discussion before jumping in to call people lame, or up in arms. Like how is that productive at all? I'm guilty of it too from time to time, but at least I feel foolish when my skimming misinterpreted something. Oh poo poo guess being a hypocrite makes what's being said wrong! I should just pretend to be perfect.

No but you should probably not support the worst loving company on the planet and then complain about computer programmers having to work too many hours lmao

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

No but you should probably not support the worst loving company on the planet and then complain about computer programmers having to work too many hours lmao

I can and I did. Bad thing x does not make bad thing y not bad.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Duck and Cover posted:

I can and I did.

And it is why people are calling you a loving idiot hth

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

And it is why people are calling you a loving idiot hth

Oh I don't have to feel bad about my bad actions cause the guy telling me also does bad things. I mean surely we can't both be doing things that are bad. Give me a break. I'm not perfect, I don't expect people to be. I'm going to bow out here, it's gotten too off topic and I have somewhere to be. (I know it's rare but I do sometimes leave the house).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You should absolutely never pay full price for a game that can afford to advertise itself on television

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I support BDS and that's why I don't buy Sabra hummus a company 50% owned by Pepsi/Frito-Lay

-posted from my Macbook Pro running on an Israeli-designed processor

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh I don't have to feel bad about my bad actions cause the guy telling me also does bad things. I mean surely we can't both be doing things that are bad. Give me a break. I'm not perfect, I don't expect people to be. I'm going to bow out here, it's gotten too off topic and I have somewhere to be. (I know it's rare but I do sometimes leave the house).

You're retarded lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sid Vicious posted:

But not buying a video game (one he didn't sound interested in in the first place) is Activism Without Sacrifice. Not using Amazon would entail some small amount of personal inconvenience or extra expense. That just won't do!

Like honestly it annoys me that this bozo thinks I'm a cynical, selfish consumer because I don't write off entertainment products over twitter controversies. I'm actually a fairly conscientious consumer. I don't shop Amazon. I knowingly and willingly spend more money for the same products elsewhere because I know Amazon is bad for society as a whole. When I go to a physical store and find something I want, I buy it there. I don't use them as a showroom and then turn around to find it cheaper online like so many people because I know this destroys local business. I could go on.

What I don't do is arbitrarily write off random products when anyone associated with it says something bad. Not only is it ridiculous, but it's pointless. Every large company has poo poo heads or racists working for it somewhere. If it's the official company position or least some head honcho doing it then ok, that's a problem (and no, one member of a large design team is not a key position). But otherwise it's just background noise. Every time you go out and buy a burger there is a probably a racist, a sex offender, or some other poo poo head involved in that process, you just didn't see them post on twitter about it. Switching from Burger Place A to Burger Place B because you know about the douchebag at A but not about the one at B doesn't do anything but make you feel good without actually sacrificing anything. Just the same as switching from D&D to Pathfinder because you saw one rear end in a top hat out of hundreds of employees at Wizards of the Coast make bad posts on twitter.

And to be clear I don't think my Minor Good Shopping Practices make me some hero of the proletariat or something. I don't expect praise for it, I just do it because it seems right.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 10, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When Steam games go on sale, do the developers get a smaller cut proportional to the discount? I do sometimes feel bad when an indie game I was on the fence about buying goes on some crazy sale and I end up paying $10 for a $40 game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When Steam games go on sale, do the developers get a smaller cut proportional to the discount? I do sometimes feel bad when an indie game I was on the fence about buying goes on some crazy sale and I end up paying $10 for a $40 game.

They get a percentage rate.

Sales are an important way to generate revenue and how most games get attention and make money.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scolding people about what games they should and shouldn't buy is for sad hangers on that wish they were part of the industry and feel important/involved by being annoying about it on Twitter and the internet. Tbh I'd love to see how many actually even follow through with their boycotts.

Game devs deserve a good work/life balance as much as everyone else and they should probably unionize (which looks like it will likely happen sooner than later) but of all the things to rail over ethical consumption about, this seems extremely low on the list. And if it's something that bothers you that much, just don't buy it. But don't bother other people about it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

veni veni veni posted:

Scolding people about what games they should and shouldn't buy is for sad hangers on that wish they were part of the industry and feel important/involved by being annoying about it on Twitter and the internet. Tbh I'd love to see how many actually even follow through with their boycotts.

Game devs deserve a good work/life balance as much as everyone else and they should probably unionize (which looks like it will likely happen sooner than later) but of all the things to rail over ethical consumption about, this seems extremely low on the list. And if it's something that bothers you that much, just don't buy it. But don't bother other people about it.

Omg I agree with you on something what the gently caress!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
video game programmers don't deserve any special consideration. if they wanted a better work/life balance they could get into coding corporate banking software. they made their bed, let them lie in it :colbert:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A pal of mine has a game on Steam and when it goes on sale he makes like a quarter of the money but sells 10 times more copies, so he's pretty chill about it, I wouldn't feel bad

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Going to boycott Boy-Cot brand cots, the cots made for boys.

Are you a boy? Need someplace uncomfortable to sleep? Then try a cot from Boy-Cots. The only cot that's boy approved.

(Attempted use of boy-cots by girls may result in injury, death, or birth defects. Use at own risk)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They get a percentage rate.

Sales are an important way to generate revenue and how most games get attention and make money.

Pricing a game so that the actual price you want is somewhere between 50-75% off seems like a pretty good strategy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The new Battletoads look like poo poo. And it looks like a bad game.

The old Battletoads looked awesome. It may have been the best looking NES game. And it was a great game. It was just hard as balls.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

A pal of mine has a game on Steam and when it goes on sale he makes like a quarter of the money but sells 10 times more copies, so he's pretty chill about it, I wouldn't feel bad

if thats the case he put the wrong price on his game. if you can make more profit by lowing your price and getting more customers you should do that, its economics 101. especially with something like software, where there is no manufacturing/shipping costs.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Rutibex posted:

if thats the case he put the wrong price on his game. if you can make more profit by lowing your price and getting more customers you should do that, its economics 101. especially with something like software, where there is no manufacturing/shipping costs.

Not necessarily, more people will buy it if its temporarily at that price than if that was just the normal price. I mean, aren't half of steam purchases people buying something because its on a crazy deal and then never playing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rutibex posted:

He's my pal, so I can't say this to him, but it is a niche game that isn't exactly amazing, so I think that's why, he's not unaware of this I think as it is his first game, and he's done a great job considering that, but yeah.
Once it dips into impulse buy pricing he benefits