Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tonton Macoute posted:

It turns out that she no longer wants to eat from a bottle or knows how to, she would not tell. We'll try one of her water bottles next, as well as trying to get her used to drinking formula during the day from her cups, but right now it seems like a yet another struggle. My question is - how do we get her to drink formula or, failing that, convince her to eat more solids during the day?

We recently had to re-introduce the bottle for daytime feedings since I (the dad) went on parental leave. Kid is 6 months now, and had clearly forgotten how bottles work over 5 months of breastfeeding. We started a few weeks before the transition date with feeding her small amounts by bottle as a test balloon. No luck for the first few days with: Standard bottle (too-small hole in nipple), standard bottle (appropriate size hole in nipple), sippy cup (too free-flowing), fancy Medela bottle which mimic function of a breast. After a few days of persisting, had luck with "standard bottle (appropriate size hole in nipple)", she just figured it out. It took some patience and a fair bit of wrestling/whining.

I'm sure it will be a different kind of struggle with an older kid but I would say, try what used to work and give it some time.

Also, shouldn't a 14 month old be on solids, too? Will he eat porridge/oatmeal before bedtime if he gets the chance, for instance? Maybe try that and then top up with breast milk?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Also, shouldn't a 14 month old be on solids, too? Will he eat porridge/oatmeal before bedtime if he gets the chance, for instance? Maybe try that and then top up with breast milk?

That is exactly what we have been doing since introducing solids. Porridge before bedtime and breastmilk before sleep. Her waking up multiple times per night to ask for nursing has been an issue, but until now not a concern.

Tonight went marginally better. It is kind of hard to remain as frustrated for long when, instead of eating from the bottle, she grabs the bottle and starts to feed me, her mom or her plushie.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
My son's tantrums don't start until I pick him up to change his diaper. If his aim were better I'd be getting kicked in the balls every two hours.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My bub took a bottle like a champ when I first went back to work and she was 7 months. Then we had a long break from day care (6 weeks), and solids became better established.

Once I returned to work, she completely refused the bottle. She was about 11 months old. We persevered for weeks and then just gave up. She still nursed at home, but would just eat and have water while at day care.

She’s slowly dropped feeds since then, I’ve let her guide it. She is 15 months now and just nurses first thing in the morning after her big sleep.

We offer three substantial meals and two snacks a day, mirroring what they do at day care, and that seems to keep her satisfied.

She goes without eating nursing from 6pm to 6am. That’s not to say there’s no waking or settling, because there is, but I haven’t had to nurse overnight in months.

I have heard of older babies refusing to take the bottle during the day and then cluster feeding with mum in the evening/overnight. It’s not always a nutrition thing, it’s also comfort and attachment.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I have come to realize that "for sale: baby shoes, never worn" is not a sad story at all; it's just a frank description of what it's like to clothe a growing infant.

Got many hand-me-downs and gifts before birth, which we sorted into age-appropriate bins for later. Now as we open them at the appointed age, she's already grown out of some things.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

wizzardstaff posted:

I have come to realize that "for sale: baby shoes, never worn" is not a sad story at all; it's just a frank description of what it's like to clothe a growing infant.

Got many hand-me-downs and gifts before birth, which we sorted into age-appropriate bins for later. Now as we open them at the appointed age, she's already grown out of some things.

I've discovered that baby clothes sizes are not uniform: we've got some 'newborn' which are huge on my son, and others which fit pretty well. I'm expecting a lot of the other clothes we've got will also not get worn.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lobsterpillar posted:

I've discovered that baby clothes sizes are not uniform: we've got some 'newborn' which are huge on my son, and others which fit pretty well. I'm expecting a lot of the other clothes we've got will also not get worn.

Yeah it's a real pain. Consignment sales are your friend.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Lobsterpillar posted:

Oh yeah, my five month old is currently wearing some stuff labeled 3 months and some labeled 6-12 months. It doesn't help that she is absurdly tall/long for her age but not particularly heavy, so some things just fit weird.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My four-month-old is 17 pounds and 27” long, he’s busting out of some 9-12mo stuff. We got so many cute small things that he just never fit. :sigh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Big Taint posted:

My four-month-old is 17 pounds and 27” long, he’s busting out of some 9-12mo stuff. We got so many cute small things that he just never fit. :sigh:

At least there are so many cute slightly larger things that he totally will fit in.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
My 16 month old is currently wearing clothes ranging from 6 to 24 mos. All depends-Carters seems to mis-cut a lot of clothes-I've got 12 and 18 month stuff that I swear are the same size. Also, I have found that the clothes my sister-in-law buys in Alabama (she buys in store brands that I can't get here in the PNW without ordering online) run really big compared to things like Carters.

Also, if you use cloth diapers, you can expect to need larger sizes anyway; we have some clothes that only fit when he wears a disposable!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Pinus Porcus posted:

Also, if you use cloth diapers, you can expect to need larger sizes anyway; we have some clothes that only fit when he wears a disposable!

This is the biggest pain. Our 1yo is in 18mo shirts but usually has to be in 3T shorts because of the bulkiness of his double-stuffed cloth diapers.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The nice thing is that you can size back down after they're potty trained, though, at least for a while.

ApostrophePolice
Feb 17, 2011

Nice.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I feel you're overthinking this. It feels to me that you would be emphasizing how odd your kid's birthdays are, and at a younger age they might not understand what a "half birthday" is and think she was born in June.

VorpalBunny posted:

You are overthinking it. Do something small on the actual day, do something combined to make it easy for friends and family to celebrate after the Holidays.

Thanks guys, good to know. The combined birthday parties are going to be inevitable, but at least it sounds like that's a pretty normal thing to do.

The best part of all this is going to be the mounting horror on their faces when they count back 9 months and realise their dad's birthday is in March :allears: (Totally a coincidence I swear)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

ApostrophePolice posted:

Thanks guys, good to know. The combined birthday parties are going to be inevitable, but at least it sounds like that's a pretty normal thing to do.

The best part of all this is going to be the mounting horror on their faces when they count back 9 months and realise their dad's birthday is in March :allears: (Totally a coincidence I swear)

Well, I mean, if either of my already-born kids counted back nine months they'd end up with the wrong month entirely, so you could always just handwavily point out that due dates are a median, not an actual in-utero calendar alert. :v:

(People keep asking me when I'm due and I say "probably not in August or October" but the kind of person who asks a casual acquaintance when she's due is mysteriously not satisfied with that answer.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ApostrophePolice posted:

My husband's birthday is February 23rd and my son's is November 23rd. I know its sheer coincidence but I can't wait for him to make the correlation.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I was due November 14th. I knew right away by people’s facial expressions they were doing the math. Then their face would light up like a light bulb went off.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
At my old work 25% of staff were born in November so we used to have the Valentines Day Birthday Party for everyone in November instead of individual events. I didn't have the heart to rain on parades about the due date being calculated from the date of the period for that cycle, not the date of banging.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 10, 2019

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Has anyone machine washed a pregnancy body pillow? I’m still using mine post pregnancy because it’s comfy AF, but my boobs leak all over at night. Even wearing bras and breast pads and nursing every 2-4 hours, I get wet spots all over. The case zips off but milk is in the pillow itself and I want to wash it but not ruin it.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
I haven't (my washing machine is very small), but I've washed a big nursing pillow by putting it in the bathtub with some water and detergent (the kind you use for hand washing) and stomping on it for a bit and that worked better than expected. I guess this wouldn't work if you have that microbead type filling.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tamarillo posted:

At my old work 25% of staff were born in November so we used to have the Valentines Day Birthday Party for everyone in November instead of individual events. I didn't have the heart to rain on parades about the due date being calculated from the date of the period for that cycle, not the date of banging.

I know A LOT of people (including myself) born in September.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
baby clothes talk:

We have a pair of pants that he still fits in that are 0-3, but we also put all of our 3-6 in storage and we're fully in 6 month clothes now, at 4 months old.

Everyone talks about diapers and formula being money sinks but clothes are where the real financial black hole is. Everyone's all happy to give you newborn and 0-3 stuff for the shower but we didn't have nearly enough after that, and nobody thinks to gift plain white onesies or pajamas. And just like mommy and daddy, if we're not going out today we like to lounge around in our comfy pajamas. Thank god my MIL is a shopaholic. All it takes is one mention of, oh we don't have enough 6 months clothes, and she shows up at our apartment the next day with an entire wardrobe until we're begging her to stop.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Walmart has some pretty cheap baby clothes that always go on clearance. I also hit up the baby consignment shot here that always have sales.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Last time we went to Walmart, they had nothing in 3-6. Not a drat thing.

For boys, at least. Plenty of girls 3-6, because girls get fun clothes. Boys get Dinosaurs and...not much else. And that's why we dress my son in dinosaurs all day every day. Dinosaurs are cool. Long live Dinosaurs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Consignment stores and sales are a great source of cheap clothes. In the DC area there is a bi-annual consignment sale called the Wee Sale which has a LOT of good stuff for cheap.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
If you are in a decent sized town, try joining the Buy Nothing Project on Facebook. Its all done in local chapters, and when I lived in a larger town (like 100,000 ish), I got a ton of baby clothes (and other baby stuff like bottles, Boppy, etc) whenever I asked. Everything has to be given for free, so I think a lot of parents join up in the hopes of lowering kiddo costs. Just ask a little before you need them. Also, great way to get rid of clothes that your kid outgrew and you don't want to keep.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In the DC area there is a bi-annual consignment sale called the Wee Sale which has a LOT of good stuff for cheap.

Also, seconding looking for once/twice a year multi vendor sale events. There was a big one in Eugene, OR that I think was biannual at a local camp. It was a great place to stock up on clothes and other items you might neet

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Garage sales are also great for baby clothes. The only new clothes I have were gifts, everything else I’ve bought at garage sales. I also went to a kid’s thrift store when they had a bag sale on their onesies and got 40 onesies for 10 bucks.

My 8 week old (how is she 8 weeks already?!) is busting at the seams in many of her 0-3 month clothes. It broke my heart to go from newborn to 0-3, and from size 1 to size 2 diapers, and when her hat with the bear ears didn’t fit on her head any more... I assume the heartbreak of them getting bigger never stops.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koivunen posted:

Garage sales are also great for baby clothes. The only new clothes I have were gifts, everything else I’ve bought at garage sales. I also went to a kid’s thrift store when they had a bag sale on their onesies and got 40 onesies for 10 bucks.

My 8 week old (how is she 8 weeks already?!) is busting at the seams in many of her 0-3 month clothes. It broke my heart to go from newborn to 0-3, and from size 1 to size 2 diapers, and when her hat with the bear ears didn’t fit on her head any more... I assume the heartbreak of them getting bigger never stops.

It never stops. It doesn't even slow down. When we finally bit the bullet and went from 0-3 to 3, we found the 3s were already getting tight around the legs. So we rushed to 3-6 and, although they were a bit baggy, we figured at least they'll last us for a bit.

That lasted about a month, now we're already in 6 months.

The worst is when you're saving a specific outfit for just the right occasion, then suddenly you missed your window and they no longer fit.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Consignment stores and sales are a great source of cheap clothes. In the DC area there is a bi-annual consignment sale called the Wee Sale which has a LOT of good stuff for cheap.

This is great-we just moved to
Northern Virginia with our 7 month old.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My wife trolls facebook buy/sell groups. There is always someone looking to unload batches of clothes their kiddo just grew out of.

e: the fishing definition, to eliminate ambiguity

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Pinus Porcus posted:

My 16 month old is currently wearing clothes ranging from 6 to 24 mos. All depends-Carters seems to mis-cut a lot of clothes-I've got 12 and 18 month stuff that I swear are the same size. Also, I have found that the clothes my sister-in-law buys in Alabama (she buys in store brands that I can't get here in the PNW without ordering online) run really big compared to things like Carters.

We found with our first that some Carters ran smaller than others based on where they were made. I want to say Cambodia was smaller than other places, but it's been a couple years.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In Dallas area it's Divine Consign and it's awesome. Just so many clothes. And other stuff. The bulk of our kids gifts and clothes comes from their every year.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Kids Everywear for Raleigh/Durham. Huuuge sale twice a year, but it's only really worth it if you volunteer a bunch of hours and get first pick at the stuff in good shape. We got all our large nursery items (changing table, rocker), the beginnings of our diaper stash, and tons of random items there.

Kohls is really good for stacking discounts, especially if you use the store card. A couple of times a year they'll have a baby sale and I'll stock up on clearance PJs and onesies for the upcoming sizes for dirt cheap.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

2DEG posted:

Kids Everywear for Raleigh/Durham. Huuuge sale twice a year, but it's only really worth it if you volunteer a bunch of hours and get first pick at the stuff in good shape. We got all our large nursery items (changing table, rocker), the beginnings of our diaper stash, and tons of random items there.

Kohls is really good for stacking discounts, especially if you use the store card. A couple of times a year they'll have a baby sale and I'll stock up on clearance PJs and onesies for the upcoming sizes for dirt cheap.

Once Upon a Child (especially the Cary store) is great.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I'm the clothes horse that now gets a kick buying clothes for my kid instead of myself. Any sadness from not fitting stuff anymore is generally balanced by excitement about the new stuff he fits because I've always got a couple of really cute things things stashed away for the next size up. Hes blimmin 98th %ile for length though and at 6 months almost doesn't fit 6-12mth clothes anymore so some of his winter clothes are already getting snugger than expected.

All that said he's not drowning in too many clothes but the stuff I do buy is good quality, often merino, and I know its OTT but it makes me happy and once I'm done with kids I'm going to be passing it all on to my extremely catholic newlywed in-laws who will probably have 10 kids so they will definitely get worn. I went as cheap as possible on everything else and got his cot and various child receptacles (bouncers etc) second hand

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Renegret posted:

baby clothes talk:

We have a pair of pants that he still fits in that are 0-3, but we also put all of our 3-6 in storage and we're fully in 6 month clothes now, at 4 months old.

Everyone talks about diapers and formula being money sinks but clothes are where the real financial black hole is. Everyone's all happy to give you newborn and 0-3 stuff for the shower but we didn't have nearly enough after that, and nobody thinks to gift plain white onesies or pajamas. And just like mommy and daddy, if we're not going out today we like to lounge around in our comfy pajamas. Thank god my MIL is a shopaholic. All it takes is one mention of, oh we don't have enough 6 months clothes, and she shows up at our apartment the next day with an entire wardrobe until we're begging her to stop.

This is my mom. We fortunately didn't have to spend much on baby clothes because my mom would buy tons of them. Really the only gripe we have is she never accounts for how fast toddlers grow; if you get clothes for a baby /toddler its always a safe bet to err on getting something they can grow into.

I never realized that Simpsons bit with Maggie exploding out of her old onesie could be so true.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I'm.on baby #2 and live far away, so the novelty of buying clothes has worn off for the extended family. Facebook sales groups, Once Upon A Child, and clearance racks keep my lil dude clothed.

Little boy clothes honestly suck rear end for the most part. We also do a poo poo ton of dinosaur stuff with a healthy mix of space and robots. He basically matches with his older sister because those are her favorite things too.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We got a ton of free clothes for the firstborn. Lots of hand-me-downs and packages of onesies. All those freebies and hand-me-downs kind of dried up around 4t, though we have the occasional people who blurt out they have extra clothes and I never say no to free. We just passed everything down to all the other kids, throwing out anything that got formula or pee/poop stained along the way. We still have WAY too many baby clothes, and my youngest is now 2. I will soon have to spend an emotional day sorting through the baby clothes and either donate them or have a yard sale (keeping just a few as keepsakes, of course). I am not looking forward to that day, so many cute onesies. So many memories!

But I have become obsessed with the Goodwill in the ritzier part of town. It always has Levis jeans and Ralph Lauren dresses and lots of interesting fancy clothes and shoes for a few bucks each. I find myself there almost every Saturday in between kids' activities, rooting through the kid rack and cackling at the stuff I find. I am such a suburban mom.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Yesterday was Day 1 of daycare for my two year old. Both of us went with her to drop off. She was happy going in, had a little bit of anxiety on getting there, but eventually settled. Unfortunately they called at around 2 pm to say she was having a meltdown and we needed to pick her up ASAP. As soon as I arrived, all was right with the world again.

I hear Day 2 is the worst, as they now realize daycare will be A Thing.

This morning she had a meltdown when I left first (as I have an early morning meeting, plus my husband will normally do drop off so I didn't want to form a pattern of being there at drop off).

I have heard that I should not prolong the goodbye routine. So I reassured her I would see her after work, gave her one of her favorite toys and left with my daughter's wails and screams echoing around me as she frantically kicks my husband adamantly insisting "go with Mommy" over and over.

Now I'm on the bus on the verge of tears and argh have I just inflicted irreparable damage to her sense of self worth and love and oh heavens what have I done and how am I going to get through today.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Leng posted:

Now I'm on the bus on the verge of tears and argh have I just inflicted irreparable damage to her sense of self worth and love and oh heavens what have I done and how am I going to get through today.

Your kid will 100% be OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Leng posted:

Yesterday was Day 1 of daycare for my two year old. Both of us went with her to drop off. She was happy going in, had a little bit of anxiety on getting there, but eventually settled. Unfortunately they called at around 2 pm to say she was having a meltdown and we needed to pick her up ASAP. As soon as I arrived, all was right with the world again.

This strikes me as a little odd....daycares should be used to dealing with big feelings and meltdowns in kids. Why are they calling you?