Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

Alright I need help. I really want to level a Brute (or Scrapper) next and I'm torn between Fire/Shield and Titan Weapons/Electric. I've played them both to 10 and I've really enjoyed them both so far and I like the concepts. After leveling a controller that I love grouping with I'd like a strong solo character for when I can't find groups for stuff I want to do.

Titan/Elec will make you a walking orgy of destruction, go for it. Titan does suck at low levels, try to get a pl to at least 22.

Fire Melee is mediocre, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

gimmicks are generally worth doing, with the apparent exception of DB, where I assume it's always better to use whatever's off CD instead of waiting for a combo to open up

SJ feels pretty good to me, the combo system is just fine. melee cones are always kind of lovely, regardless

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Psykmoe posted:

So I've seen people talk about how dual blades is good if you ignore the combo system.

What about Street Justice? Is the combo system worth my time?

I never really played with dual blades back in the day and so I have no experience with the more gimmicky attack power sets with combos or spreadable secondary effects like rad melee and beam rifle.

The Street Justice Combo system is as easy as the Staff combo system. It just sort of happens organically. Or it least it feels that way for me.

OgNar posted:

I havent really watch it but Leandro did this video.
Skip about 4:40 in or so.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/427246330

I'm watching now to see what its like.

e:poo poo its over 2 hours long. I cant handle his voice for that long.

Thanks, it already looks better than what other crap I found.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

for science purposes i need to know what the tankiest possible stalker secondary is

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Turtle Sandbox posted:

How important is having "good" powersets for the endgame, have a few chars id like to take to 50 and do some endgame stuff but im always worried im shooting myself in the foot and cant find good info on game balance.

Shoot Tyrant with a freaking bow and arrow. Amaze everyone with your audacity when you kill a god with a sharpened stick. Cultivate the Hawkeye that lives in your heart.

Just play whatever, basically.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Gynovore posted:

Titan/Elec will make you a walking orgy of destruction

Sold, thanks. Ele armor question: Is Power Surge essential/worth slotting? I hate those "you're super powerful then you crash and die" powers. I actually did get a SS/Bio Brute to 50 but Rage crashes are intolerable to me so I stopped playing him

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Did enhancement Sets come out before or at the same time as ED?
It seemed to me that they made it like you only had to put a few enhancements in your power now, but if you wanted all the cool buffs from the Set, then you still had to 5-6 slot it.
Which confused me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Made this yesterday and am still more amused with myself than I should be.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

OgNar posted:

It seemed to me that they made it like you only had to put a few enhancements in your power now, but if you wanted all the cool buffs from the Set, then you still had to 5-6 slot it.
Which confused me.

After.

If you want maximum resist on a defensive set, that's four slots. Three resists or defenses, one endurance. Two more slots lets you also get the full six set bonus.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hakarne posted:

Sold, thanks. Ele armor question: Is Power Surge essential/worth slotting? I hate those "you're super powerful then you crash and die" powers. I actually did get a SS/Bio Brute to 50 but Rage crashes are intolerable to me so I stopped playing him
Rage is a damage booster, while Power Surge is for if you want an "Oh gently caress, hope this all blows over in three minutes" emergency lever. All the slots in the world won't keep it from having a bonkers as gently caress recharge length even if it didn't have a crash.

It kept my older live builds stalker alive through a lot of cluster fucks way back when in live, so I was very glad I took it for that alt even if I skipped it on my casual tank. But my friends would just hammer it given the least excuse resulting in it being a near guarantee they would die when everything shut down during a later fight :v:

Speaking of stalkers. I was highly amused by my claws/elec classy frankenstein's butler stalker way back when, and that was before they made fitness inherent :shepicide: I'm considering a "generic IO's" Street/Elec armor instead for later. But half the fun of Claws was firing knockback hadokens. Bowling for rikti with Shockwave let me cope with all the drones, knock knives of Artemis out of their caltrops spam, etc etc and was hilarious as gently caress.

...Hilarious electric Butler will probably win out again in the end.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 10, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

OgNar posted:

Which confused me.

Most sets will spread their bonuses out so you're getting full ADER without going too far overboard.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I AM THE MOON posted:

for science purposes i need to know what the tankiest possible stalker secondary is

the answer is I just need to loving take power surge on my Kin/EM stalker I'm pretty sure, but I don't wanna and have no idea what to drop for it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Titan/Elec will make you a walking orgy of destruction, go for it.

Oh, good. I wanted a combo that was OP-ish, just so I can play it badly and still be pretty okay. I got a TW/Electric brute up to around 14 and was thinking it kind of sucked, glad that it picks up before long.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

boxen posted:

Oh, good. I wanted a combo that was OP-ish, just so I can play it badly and still be pretty okay. I got a TW/Electric brute up to around 14 and was thinking it kind of sucked, glad that it picks up before long.

TW is all about stringing together big loving combos that feel great and sound huuuuge so the more you lower cooldowns and endurance costs to keep your sword/axe/whatever moving the more badass it gets

EA is just one of the coolest defensive sets period IMO. you get great immunities and infinite END, and I guess a PBAOE damage field since you're not a stalker but I am The Stalker Guy so I only know how much I love it on Stalkers bc it keeps the assassin strikes rolling

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I AM THE MOON posted:

the answer is I just need to loving take power surge on my Kin/EM stalker I'm pretty sure, but I don't wanna and have no idea what to drop for it.

That's kind of how I feel about it. An oh poo poo button is kind of nice but gently caress there are so many other good and useful things to take.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Hakarne posted:

That's kind of how I feel about it. An oh poo poo button is kind of nice but gently caress there are so many other good and useful things to take.

If I could get the uptime better I'd be happier with it, like Rage which is 100% uptime minus the ten second crash. I don't need 100%, I'm a loving stalker I have ninja poo poo, but 3 minutes is more than I need at once + the cooldown is mega long. If it was one minute or 90 seconds of power with higher overall uptime I think it'd be more useful.

I might just drop placate for it since I don't really use it since I got my archetype enhancements maxed and purpled and it seems like more of a solo skill. If I could skip the quick strike/body blow choice I would, since I don't really use QS and skip BB already

edit: then again with it's crash being "lol ur ded kid" maybe it lasting for loving ever is what it needs to do. hell if I know, I'll play around with it tonight.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I seem to recall attack chain simulators once being a thing, are they still around? My psi / bio brute has a whole bunch of quick recharge attack options and I'm not really sure which way to go with it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OgNar posted:

Which confused me.

ED came with I6, on 10/27/05. Inventions came with I9, on 5/1/07. So, just over 2½ years between them.

I missed out on the whole anger over it because I didn't start until just before I7 went on the Test Server, and I didn't pay any attention to the forum posts about it.

I AM THE MOON posted:

EA is just one of the coolest defensive sets period IMO. you get great immunities and infinite END, and I guess a PBAOE damage field since you're not a stalker but I am The Stalker Guy so I only know how much I love it on Stalkers bc it keeps the assassin strikes rolling

I think you mean Elec? EA is Energy Aura…

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

ED came with I6, on 10/27/05. Inventions came with I9, on 5/1/07. So, just over 2½ years between them.

I missed out on the whole anger over it because I didn't start until just before I7 went on the Test Server, and I didn't pay any attention to the forum posts about it.

I think you mean Elec? EA is Energy Aura…

they have the same initials and I've never seen anyone take energy defense so i forgot it exists lol

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Energy aura is also rad as gently caress though. ENA and ELA are both really good sets.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

Energy aura is also rad as gently caress though. ENA and ELA are both really good sets.

Good to know. I've wanted to do Energy, but I can never decide what to pair it with, so I don't have any experience with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made a robot with a katana scrapper who looks pretty rad but I can't decide between katana/elec or katana/energy for him. Both look pretty sweet and fit the theme.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

You're unkillable for three minutes, but if the fight isn't over by then, you lose. Since most builds nowadays have loads of picks but are short on slots, I always just take it and leave it at one slot.

It's worth mentioning that Power Surge plugs the Toxic hole that the other powers have. You won't encounter Toxic often, but it happens.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Power surge also looks cooler than most armor T9s!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Harrow posted:

I made a robot with a katana scrapper who looks pretty rad but I can't decide between katana/elec or katana/energy for him. Both look pretty sweet and fit the theme.

I don't know about energy, but I have a Katana/elec robot and the elec toggles run electricity all through/over your model, so that's neat.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The Street Justice Combo system is as easy as the Staff combo system. It just sort of happens organically. Or it least it feels that way for me.

Thanks, it already looks better than what other crap I found.

Also check the Base Building channel of Homecoming discord for pins like Example Gifs.
https://imgur.com/a/y4X1fbQ

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

A good bio

EDIT: gently caress it's tiny, I need to fix that

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if I ever get admin powers on indom the first thing I'm gonna do is find the guy who rolled a Teferi with no time powers and delete his loving account

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just can't decide between Street Justice and Staff scrapper or brute.

It's for a Master Roshi style character and I can't do both!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Staff has a breakdance AOE. You know what must be done. If only you could add custom sound effects to your powers, so you could do the Roshi laugh every time. I'd say you want to emphasize speed to sell the concept, with the obvious costume change macro that turns you into Buff Roshi.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I would like to play a Tank to play with my friends, mainly because I just want to herd and stand there and let my buddies who have less experience with the game have fun beating up baddies without me dominating each fight. What's the current thinking on the tankiest powerset that just stands there and holds aggro? I have already done the whole Stone Armour thing back on live - is that still the most lazy tank set?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Coward posted:

I would like to play a Tank to play with my friends, mainly because I just want to herd and stand there and let my buddies who have less experience with the game have fun beating up baddies without me dominating each fight. What's the current thinking on the tankiest powerset that just stands there and holds aggro? I have already done the whole Stone Armour thing back on live - is that still the most lazy tank set?

stone armor has severe mobility problems. you can mitigate those by using teleport, but maybe you'd rather not?

I think elec armor has a damage aura (for maintaining aggro) and is also pretty solid, c/d?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Willpower's auto-taunt aura gives you +Regen, so the more trouble you're in the more you heal.

The one that's going to steal the show is Shield, as it gets a damage buff and a teleport and you can pick up another teleport attack in Fighting and never walk, just instapunch from group to group.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Relentless posted:

Willpower's auto-taunt aura gives you +Regen, so the more trouble you're in the more you heal.

The one that's going to steal the show is Shield, as it gets a damage buff and a teleport and you can pick up another teleport attack in Fighting and never walk, just instapunch from group to group.

I'm finding Willpower to kinda have trouble holding aggro with just its aura compared to other sets, so it might not be the "laziest" in terms of stickiness; something with a damage aura and AoE attacks (like Shield) would have an easier time of it, I think.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Merilan posted:

I'm finding Willpower to kinda have trouble holding aggro with just its aura compared to other sets, so it might not be the "laziest" in terms of stickiness; something with a damage aura and AoE attacks (like Shield) would have an easier time of it, I think.

Wait, Shield has a damage aura now?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Coward posted:

Wait, Shield has a damage aura now?

No, I misspoke; Shield has the AoE charge which is real effective at grabbing aggro, plus the standard taunt aura (Against All Odds), so it's a bit better than a set that only has a passive taunt aura.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

are damage auras more effective at aggroing mobs than non-damage negative auras?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Speaking of shield is it really better on a scrapper (or tanker) as opposed to a Brute? I saw a thread on reddit I think that said Shield Charge is wonky and actually uses an invisible pseudopet to do damage and therefore doesn't benefit from Fury or damage modifiers as well on Brute.

I have no idea if that's total bullshit or not though :shrug:

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

are damage auras more effective at aggroing mobs than non-damage negative auras?

In my experience it's the opposite because it seems damage auras have to tic and hit to aggro which can take a few seconds but debuff auras are autohit and don't have individual tics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Hakarne posted:

Speaking of shield is it really better on a scrapper (or tanker) as opposed to a Brute? I saw a thread on reddit I think that said Shield Charge is wonky and actually uses an invisible pseudopet to do damage and therefore doesn't benefit from Fury or damage modifiers as well on Brute.

I have no idea if that's total bullshit or not though :shrug:

It potentially doesn't benefit from all of your damage buffs. Brutes have a huge max damage cap (775%?), but IIRC pseudopets have something like 400%. It's not going to come up all the time.