Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

shame on an IGA posted:

John Landis directs the making-of documentary where we follow Microsoft all over chicagoland on a mission from god to get the band back together and avenge meigs field

Keep John Landis away from anything related to aviation kthx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

How the flying hell (no pun intended) did we end up with 755 of these things?

It appears that they were dirt cheap and let ships that weren't built for helicopter hangars pretend they had helicopters.

They're apparently still being used White Plains as target drones. I'm going to assume they're mechanically quite simple if they've been around that long.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Went to a D-Day 75 event over the weekend at the former naval air station HMS Daedalus on the south coast of England. During D-Day this was the busiest Allied airfield in the world, being the centre of the ground-support operations. Spitfires, Seafires, P-51s and Typhoons flew over 400 individual sorties across the Channel in 24 hours.

The weather was, unfortunately, very similar to the actual D-Day - F5 winds (18knots gusting 25+) at 45 degrees to the runway and heavy rain showers sweeping over the field every 15-20 minutes. So virtually all the flying displays/fly-pasts were cancelled. There were some aircraft on the ground to see, though, either airfield residents or visitors, some of which reflected Daedalus post-war history.

Cirrus Vision

SA/BAe Bulldog

DHC-1 Chipmunk

C182 amphibian - not that interesting in itself but we don't get many floatplanes here!

Auster AOP6

Inevitably, the only warbird that could cope with the weather was a C-47! That's All, Brother was the lead-ship of an 800-aircraft formation which delivered the initial paratroop drop over Normandy. It's recently been restored by the CAF and is over here for a European tour.

A B47, a C-47 and a guy's bald head.

Apologies for the terrible digital-zoom pic

Crowds gather to worship at the altar of the Gooney Bird...

Later, a P-51D, Tall in the Saddle, managed to drop in in a gap in the weather. She's a 'Red Tail' but rather late for D-Day, not arriving in Europe until February 1945 and operating in Italy rather than France.

Daedalus is now 'Solent Airport' and is home to Britten-Norman's production facility, so there were a few Islanders of various specs around.

B-N Defender-4000 with Seamaster marine surveillance radar. What a schnoz!

Fleet Air Arm public relations team were there with a Westland Lynx and the front half of a Sea Harrier.

Of course on the following day, when I wasn't there, it was perfect flying conditions so there were Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, Gazelles, Lynxs, WW1 replicas and all sorts flying about!

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 10, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BalloonFish posted:

Inevitably, the only warbird that could cope with the weather was a C-47! That's All, Brother was the lead-ship of an 800-aircraft formation which delivered the initial paratroop drop over Normandy. It's recently been restored by the CAF and is over here for a European tour.

Oh hey, I donated to the restoration of this plane a few years back. They finished sometime last year and had it at Wings Over Houston.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love the DC3 / C47. They're gonna be flying even when we're all worm food.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Another helo went down in Manhattan, pilot confirmed dead.

Hard landing onto an office tower. :stare:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Amazon needs a private heliport, they just can't land anywhere.

but seriously isn't helo traffic super locked down in NYC?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

wargames posted:

Not sure on the official policies, but I'd think so. I honestly have no idea what a small helo was doing loving about in quite literally the middle of the city in pretty much zero-visibility weather. Good thing it didn't slam into someone's apartment/office, at least?

E: For reference, 787 7th is the brown building peeking out on the left-center just in front of the under construction orange+blue one. Today the top of it was in fog/clouds.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 10, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Wow those new super high rise apartments are ugly.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yyyep. There's some interesting buildings that have come up and I'm probably commiting a cardinal sin of some sort but I actually like the crystalline ones like the BofA building/WTC, but those blank needledick towers are just obnoxious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adiabatic posted:

Wow those new super high rise apartments are ugly.

It’s got that mediæval Bologna look.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Naturally Selected posted:

the BofA building/WTC

What's BofA

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Phy posted:

What's BofA

Bank of America tower. The crystalline one just behind the salesforce building bottom left of that shot. Thing is gorgeous when it's lit up or catches light.

E: VVV Pretty sure after the citicorp thing NYC requires damping on all new ones. But I'm not an engineer or an inspector so who knows.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 10, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder how much sway those really thin looking ones get, or if they have the active systems in the top to cancel it out (big pendulums or a mass on an oil covered slab etc)

Or are they skinny enough the wind doesn’t shove em around as much.

I would like a Nova PBS episode on this!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Naturally Selected posted:

Bank of America tower. The crystalline one just behind the salesforce building bottom left of that shot. Thing is gorgeous when it's lit up or catches light.

I believe you mean “BofA DEEZ NUTZ!”

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

wargames posted:

There are special flight rules for traveling up and down the river, the city has restrictions for tour operators, and there's a TFR over Trump Tower. But the southern tip of Manhattan is under class B up to 1400', and I don't see any restrictions other than for touring flights

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

priznat posted:

I wonder how much sway those really thin looking ones get, or if they have the active systems in the top to cancel it out (big pendulums or a mass on an oil covered slab etc)

Or are they skinny enough the wind doesn’t shove em around as much.

I would like a Nova PBS episode on this!

The pencil towers are really pretty amazing engineering wise. Also their design was purely the result of real estate availability, pricing, and greed.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dupersaurus posted:

There are special flight rules for traveling up and down the river, the city has restrictions for tour operators, and there's a TFR over Trump Tower. But the southern tip of Manhattan is under class B up to 1400', and I don't see any restrictions other than for touring flights

The crash happened ~5 blocks from Trump Tower, actually (51st and 7th). If I'm looking at the FAA map correctly, that'd actually be right in the trump tower TFR.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The pencil towers are really pretty amazing engineering wise. Also their design was purely the result of real estate availability, pricing, and greed.

No doubt! Skyscrapers have always fascinated me. I got hooked when watching a documentary on the Citicorp building fuckup : http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/04/17/the_citicorp_tower_design_flaw_that_could_have_wiped_out_the_skyscraper.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

"One of the most complex aircraft engines ever built" sounds like a good thing until you realize it's a very bad thing.
And it all get replaced with a turbine with like 5 moving parts.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BalloonFish posted:

Fleet Air Arm public relations team were there the front half of a Sea Harrier.
the most MoD thing ever

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Thank you.

For a terminally online idiot like me, seeing a hanging bofa or ligma is like tapping out "Shave and a haircut" in front of Roger Rabbit

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

evil_bunnY posted:

the most MoD thing ever

The only fixed wing aircraft in the inventory doesn’t have wings.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

:suicide: Welp, I'm so used to the name I totally missed it.

Also, apparently pilot didn't have an IFR rating. While flying through Manhattan with total cloud cover starting below average building height. :downs: Not sudden weather, either. Those clouds were around since Sunday.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Jerry clown show at it again. This guy needs to be slapped with 91.13 and grounded, because I mean, holy poo poo.

Skip to 20:15

e:
Now with altitudes https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8134Q/history/20190524/1746Z/KOAK/KOAK/tracklog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbgJ3GffGMk

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 11, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't he too close to the bridge? No judgement call there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jerry Wagner is too close to the controls.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't he too close to the bridge? No judgement call there.

Very likely, 1000ft above the highest obstacle within 2000ft in a congested area, which if the Bay Area isn’t a congested area I don’t know what is.

Even if he is, the catchall of 91.13 should absolutely apply here. You don’t gently caress with critical infrastructure like this for your own sight seeing pleasure. A 414 could absolutely cause enough damage to close a suspension bridge for weeks if not months.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 11, 2019

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
How does he get away with this when its posted on Youtube?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Zhanism posted:

How does he get away with this when its posted on Youtube?

That’s the big question.

This guy is actually local to me, if he wasn’t such a macho boneheaded idiot I’d reach out and instruct him for free because drat, he’s a loving awful pilot and I hate to see someone be that bad at flying and need instructing so badly. But his attitude is not the type to receive instruction well, he doesn’t even realize or care about what he’s doing wrong. Plus there’s no way in hell I want my signature anywhere near his logbook.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 11, 2019

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Picked through this and found this data point.

code:
Time (EDT)      Latitude   Longitude Course kts mph feet Rate Reporting Facility
Fri 02:03:39 PM  37.7971  -122.3797  44°    140 161 575  -353 FlightAware ADS-B (KSJC)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That correlates well with the video.

Bay bridge is 526ft according to Wikipedia.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
In other words, way too loving close. Using Google map's built-in tools, that point is roughly 200ft (being generous) lateral distance from the bridge.

quote:

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a)Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

xergm fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 11, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How the gently caress did they not scramble jets to intercept him.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jealous Cow posted:

Sounds like he was on flight following with NorCal listening to the video.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

e.pilot posted:

That’s the big question.

This guy is actually local to me, if he wasn’t such a macho boneheaded idiot I’d reach out and instruct him for free because drat, he’s a loving awful pilot and I hate to see someone be that bad at flying and need instructing so badly. But his attitude is not the type to receive instruction well, he doesn’t even realize or care about what he’s doing wrong. Plus there’s no way in hell I want my signature anywhere near his logbook.

Don't get yourself McGeehan'ed trying to look after a guy who clearly is a textbook case for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jealous Cow posted:

They don’t want to scare the public.

I’m only sort of kidding.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.80693090272591,-122.23104776036931&chart=127&zoom=3

Looks like the SFO class B starts at around 3000 feet there and the OAK class C is at 1500?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 11, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jealous Cow posted:

Because then there'd be even more aircraft too drat close to the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.80693090272591,-122.23104776036931&chart=127&zoom=3

Looks like the SFO class B starts at around 3000 feet there and the OAK class C is at 1500?

I really thought there was only a narrow VFR corridor through there. I can’t believe flying a few hundred feet over golden gate park is legal.