Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Do any of you bother with RF Baluns? Trying to figure out exactly when they are necessary.

Also, is there a good way to find the impedance of some black-box component? I have no idea about the impedance of my rtl-sdr or how to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

The Scientist posted:

Do any of you bother with RF Baluns? Trying to figure out exactly when they are necessary.

Also, is there a good way to find the impedance of some black-box component? I have no idea about the impedance of my rtl-sdr or how to find it.

Baluns can do many things, one common type is a 1:1 balun (or just a "choke"). They can be either common-mode chokes (with a DC connection) or a transformer.

Transformers are also used for impedance matching, i.e. with a 50/100 ohm transformer you can match a 50 ohm line to a 100 ohm load without reflections.

A 1:1 balun will, within its ability to do so, force the current flowing through the center conductor of a coax to return through the same coax shield. This reduces the effects of ground loops.
It's probably the most useful where your antennas are grounded together with other stuff, if there's a reasonable return path through the literal ground, a PE bonding connection or another coax running back to the radio then some current will flow. This can (among other forms) act as a loop antenna.
This is sometimes referred to as the cable shield radiating or other weird terms describing the same concept, it typically manifests itself as a lot of noise and RFI.

Here's a picture from a Wurth common-mode choke data sheet (not usually used for RF, but this one would be ok for LW/MW reception). A current-balun is the same thing.

The coupled inductors act as a massive inductor for signals running in common mode (or unbalanced current), when all the current flowing in the top inductor is equal to the current going through the bottom but in opposite directions, the inductance is very low (ideally it's zero).
If you put a current balun in series with your coax near the antenna then you avoid any current going back through other paths than the coax shield since any current attempting to do so would cause an imbalance and would have to go through the big inductor. Current returning through the cable shield and balun would have a much easier time since it's balanced and the magnetic fields inside the balun will cancel out.

Same sort of thing applies when using an RF transformer.
Sticking some ferrite cores on the outside of the coax also works, but ferrite cores are optimized for different frequency ranges so using them requires at least knowing the core material.
Twisted pair gets a similar effect wrt. current balance as well.
--
To measure the input impedance of an RF device you need something like a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA), unless your device has a literal resistor across the inputs the input impedance will be variable over frequency as well.
With a fast pulse generator, a scope, and some coax connectors you can also do an approximate measurement using TDR.
For the RTL-SDR I'd just look up the R820T (or whatever tuner your dongle had) data sheet and see what it says for input impedance there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Scientist posted:

I've used a 9:1 with an rtl-sdr when direct sampling hf.

I've never used a balun with the rtl for its normal frequency range.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, baluns are extremely important for sure. i have at least one choke balun on every single one of my antennas, and the HF ones have a lot more than one core.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
This makes sense, thanks for the info.

I was starting to hatch a plan to use a Raspberry Pi as an arbitrary waveform generator so that I could calculate the impedance of my rtl-sdr's receiver, or just take it to one of the Electronics labs at school and do it there, but from what I read it started to sound like impedance matching was of most importance when maximizing tx power and less so when receiving. I'm sure I will get to this stage at some point. I was considering building a custom antenna tuner circuit, but all the ones I have seen for sale are specific to HF and VHF, and less UHF, where all the interesting signals I am messing with are.

As for the balun, it will be worth it for me to invest in at some point. For now, the dipole antenna T-connector that came with my SDR has a ferrite core on the lovely "coax" cable (and the UHF monopole I have has an inductive winding built right in to the mast, which I assume is for this purpose), so I think that will be good enough for now.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have started ordering parts for ES HAIL 2 U satellite use and i was wondering if anybody have used a transverter that goes from 144ish to 2.4 ghz and can tell me if there is something i should know before i try to buy on.

(mods change thread name to ES'HAIL 2 U, u know u want 2)

edit: while checking for airspy firmware at https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/ i did a double take at the title

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 27, 2019

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
I suspect that my connection from balanced ladder line to unbalanced coax should have had a proper balun on it, but so far I've just had some ferrites on the coax to dampen the common mode. I've worked only lower power, so I haven't had to consider the safety implications yet.

I just got an MFJ antenna analyzer and feel ready to try building a vertical.

Vir fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 27, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

199 for an sdr.. seems Pricy.. but also probably seems like it'll have less noise maybe than the hubk o poo poo I was using before.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I have a regular airspy as well as an hf+. Despite the much smaller bandwidth I prefer the hf+ since it doesn't need a transverter to see hf.

I also have the airspy branded transverter but somehow haven't ever gotten it to work properly outside of sdr#. It might also just be broken, I had previously turned one of the washers holding a connector to the housing too tight and the connector popped loose. Mashed it back on and seemed fine but could still have busted something via that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey all, a friend wants a 20m band radio to radio home. Any suggestions?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Any HF radio could work. A lot depends on how much they want to spend, and whether they plan to use it at a desk or on the go.

In my opinion an IC-7300 is great value for money (among new radios) but not everybody wants to spend that much up-front.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pwguru65/status/1133254042174590976

The old site of Hamvention (Hara Arena in Dayton) was hit by a Tornado this evening.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/pwguru65/status/1133254042174590976

The old site of Hamvention (Hara Arena in Dayton) was hit by a Tornado this evening.

Wasn't it already collapsing in on itself before? I imagine the owner is cashing the insurance checks as we speak.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I was wondering about this place. RIP Hara Arena.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone just flew a drone over it:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/hara-arena-roof-blown-off-trotwood-schools-closed-after-tornadoes/5W7NpDohYwDBNwu9fp59bK/

It's hosed

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Vir posted:

I suspect that my connection from balanced ladder line to unbalanced coax should have had a proper balun on it...

That would be the exact use case for a balun. For ladder line, you will probably want a manual tuner anyway, which usually has a 4:1 balun inside.

FYI, balun is a portmanteau of balanced-unbalanced. You can have an unun too, an unbalanced input and output.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Today i got an 80 cm dish for SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS! SPACE! SCIENCE!

I hope calibrating the dish against eshail 2 wont be a long and tedious job.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Big Mackson posted:

Today i got an 80 cm dish for SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS! SPACE! SCIENCE!

I hope calibrating the dish against eshail 2 wont be a long and tedious job.

from what twitters i follow es'hail is incredibly easy to work and i think you'll have a pretty straightforward job. What are you using for a feed?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

from what twitters i follow es'hail is incredibly easy to work and i think you'll have a pretty straightforward job. What are you using for a feed?

I think i will use rg214 with Goobay universal twin lnb.
I wonder if i can supply 12v in one port and get signal from the other, so i dont have to biastee.
edit: Here you see how i done it (u also see HF and VHF/UHF solutions)

edit2: I have an F male to N Female adapter so if you know of a more suitable coax that commonly use N connectors then i must know.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 7, 2019

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

we used LMR400 for uhf to low micro when doing WiFi dish work. When I dealt with Ku satellite there was a block convertor so RG6 worked - not like there’s a suitable transverter to use with RG8.

You can get Times LMR 400 or equivalent in preterminated lengths N-N for sure , I have a belkin version I think in 100’ in storage

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Partycat posted:

we used LMR400 for uhf to low micro when doing WiFi dish work. When I dealt with Ku satellite there was a block convertor so RG6 worked - not like there’s a suitable transverter to use with RG8.

You can get Times LMR 400 or equivalent in preterminated lengths N-N for sure , I have a belkin version I think in 100’ in storage

[Google results]
Attenuation (dB per 100 feet)
MHz:         30 50 100 146 150 440 450 1000 2400
RG-214    1.2 1.6 1.9 2.8   2.8   5.1  5.1   8.0   13.7
LMR-400 0.7 0.9       1.5   1.5    2.7 2.7             6.6

Hmmm, i am gonna use about 26 feet of cable so lets say 1/4 of 100 feet.
If i use LMR-400 for uplink 2.4 ghz i will get 1.65 db loss compared to 3.425.
If i use Yagi grid antenna thus getting 3db loss due to vertikal/horizontal polarization instead of circular i will have a total of
4.65 db loss for LMR-400
6.425 db loss for RG-214.

LNB downconvert to about 700ish mhz so i i guess LMR-400 have half the loss of RG-214 on the RX side.

edit: we live in modern times so 0 loss cable when?

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 8, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Big Mackson posted:

edit: we live in modern times so 0 loss cable when?

Was going to say ladder line but from playing with this calculator it might actually be worse than good coax in 2.4ghz territory

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
G-line to the rescue!

single wire that uses cone launchers at either end to impedance transform and set up a traveling wave

Downside: gotta be more or less a straight tensioned line.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If you have tons of money to throw at the problem, you could always go with some hardline.

https://www.commscope.com/catalog/cables/product_details.aspx?id=14710

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

G-line to the rescue!

single wire that uses cone launchers at either end to impedance transform and set up a traveling wave

Downside: gotta be more or less a straight tensioned line.

I'm calling it a G-string and none of you can stop me

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'm calling it a G-string and none of you can stop me

Only g-string a ham is likely to get.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mashed_penguin posted:

Prostitutes are much less expensive than radios.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

mashed_penguin posted:

That's why we have SSTV.

:gizz:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I should send two low resolution melons over SSTV.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Partycat posted:

I should send two low resolution melons over SSTV.

SSTV is fascinating but I don't know if I could resist the temptation to build a pirate radio rig to blast :goatsecx: at 6.995 for 10 minutes at a time on random Saturday nights

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

I get a strong signal with rg213 i had lying around but the drift is insane lol

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Earlier my comment was that I need to just have long wires and cases I guess. A slipmap mount for my iPhone or iPad and some loomed power distro.

The rig runner with the USB looks good but no source switching so I’d need a diode arrangement or something. There are other manufacturers of similar parts that may be suitable.

A small not annoying or shiftable speaker would be great with remoting the radio. But it’s still rough to put it into a pickup truck crew cab and have passengers and that for a drop and go operation.

I have been using APRSPro on my iOS devices and it works great to see the map, doesn’t seem to support picking a point to Nav to which would be perfect.

I’ll have to browse the new rigs and see if there’s any new hotness.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Got some work to do still, plugged a few frequencies in to the scanner, but here’s twitch plays 80meters. RSP1A and a long wire along the fence line.

turned it off

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 13, 2019

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I found this mod for my goobay so now i think i will be able to actually hear people instead of garbled wobble speak.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I destroyed my goobay with bad soldering skills, so i ordered an octagon twin lnb. https://www.passion-radio.com/lnb-pll/octagon-lnb-pll-759.html#/lnb-twin_2_outputs
I got it now but there are no schematics for it :negative:

I have no idea where i am gonna put external reference signal in.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I think they just closed up for the evening, but since there's a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico, the Hurricane Watch Net is active for anyone who's interested.
I don't have a 20m or 40m rig (for day and night, respectively) but you can pick it up via websdr, which is pretty neat.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Finally messing around with radio's again after getting my general ticket early this year and then getting busy with life. Ordered an antenna and mount to try and get mobile in the Raptor for off roading. Still waffling about whether I should get a fancy dual bander or just a no frills 2m for the task.

Also I need to get my HF antenna up before the weather turns again. I bought a Comet CHA-250B quite a while back and it is still in the box. It is a compromise antenna for sure but I got it before I really knew anything. Should I even bother setting it up or try for some sort of dipole?

Denver hams, what some good repeaters/nets to check out? I programmed a handful in my ft-60r but activity seems to be slim to none.

Since there are plenty of ways to Dox me here already my call sign is KE0UBP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*wave* denver crew here. 145.145 is the big ragchew repeater here; 145.310 is also very popular.

You can goof with the cha-250 but something tells me you'll be stringing a wire up a couple weeks later.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

*wave* denver crew here. 145.145 is the big ragchew repeater here; 145.310 is also very popular.

You can goof with the cha-250 but something tells me you'll be stringing a wire up a couple weeks later.

Those two do seem a bit more active!

Installed a mobile Kenwood TM-V71a and talked to someone briefly on the 310 repeater to make sure all is good and well.

Also strung up a 10m dipole on the side of my house just to mess with HF a bit. Of Course 10m is the only band I haven't heard any activity on since I put it up. Messing around with FT8 and WSPR is pretty neat 20m and 40m are pretty packed. Of course I can only transmit on 10m which is dead so no contacts yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
watch dxmaps.com for openings. You can sign up for email alerts when sporadic-e propagation comes within a couple hundred miles of us. Also listen 28.200-28.300 for CW beacons. The only one you will hear when there's no prop is going to be 28.236; i want to say it's down in Parker. If you hear them on any other frequencies, the band is open to somewhere. https://www.qsl.net/wj5o/bcn.htm is a relatively current list of who's on what freq in 10m beacon land.