Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shocked that the guy who wrote two Scary Movies and two Hangover movies would get details wrong in his prestige HBO show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
though hilariously everyone is going on about how accurate it is in like weird ways.

like people raving it gets Georgians right which uh is a thing I guess

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

though hilariously everyone is going on about how accurate it is in like weird ways.

like people raving it gets Georgians right which uh is a thing I guess

Georgians in Ukraine have an interesting history even today!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

i say swears online posted:

Georgians in Ukraine have an interesting history even today!

no I meant the fact that they get how they sound an act right which seems like a weird thing to say as a positive for a group of people

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Georgians die of radiation poisoning like this
Ukrainians die of radiation poisoning like this

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Cultural differences do add some flare. Didn't watch, so could have been completely unnecessary, or it could have been crucial to a plot point like a spy's cover being blown by counting on their fingers incorrectly.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

They should really do a movie about what a massive fuckup Saakashvili was.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Crazycryodude posted:

They used graphite tips to give the control rods greater authority though, not because its cheap :argh:

soviets had woman scientists, gave rods higher authority, but americans can't wrap their brains around that so

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
good trustworthy media

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomgara/status/1137735058423521281

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

They used graphite tips to give the control rods greater authority though, not because its cheap :argh:

Also they completely ignored the emergency water supply that was going to cover the majority of the diesel generator gap. The turbines only had to work for 15ish seconds, which honestly seems to carry more emphasis on Dyatlov's utterly stunning level of arrogance and incompetence. It didn't work for 15 seconds at 700MW, why the gently caress would it do so at 200MW. Or did he know the test would go south, figured he'd just hit the shutdown button, and say "tried the test boss, it didn't work!" because that was better than "didn't do the test, boss!"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Cultural differences do add some flare. Didn't watch, so could have been completely unnecessary, or it could have been crucial to a plot point like a spy's cover being blown by counting on their fingers incorrectly.

That is what Russians today say about Navalny.

Btw the timing about the Chernobyl series is pretty on point, I think they also have a series about Catherine the Great.

I wonder if there is a Tiananmen square series in the pipeline somewhere?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Jun 10, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Chernobyl was strategically timed so that you'd have to buy another month of HBO after GoT ended, it's very lol

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

zegermans posted:

Also they completely ignored the emergency water supply that was going to cover the majority of the diesel generator gap. The turbines only had to work for 15ish seconds, which honestly seems to carry more emphasis on Dyatlov's utterly stunning level of arrogance and incompetence. It didn't work for 15 seconds at 700MW, why the gently caress would it do so at 200MW. Or did he know the test would go south, figured he'd just hit the shutdown button, and say "tried the test boss, it didn't work!" because that was better than "didn't do the test, boss!"

I think the test was already overdue and the reactor was going to be shut down for maintenance and an overhaul just a few days later so it was either do the test then or don't do it for even longer and he decided they couldn't wait any longer? I Am Not Dyatlov tho.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i didnt watch chernobyl because i assume its just propaganda against the glorious soviet union

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It's like 95% actually good and just the occasional scene that reminds you it's definitely made by and for Americans, like there's just a handful here and there where people are cowering in fear of the KGB agents listening to every word or of getting sent to Siberia in 1986, at points they act like it's still 1952 to... make the USSR look bad, I guess (or I guess a more charitable interpretation is to fit what the audience expects of the USSR but it's still lovely).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

It's like 95% actually good and just the occasional scene that reminds you it's definitely made by and for Americans, like there's just a handful here and there where people are cowering in fear of the KGB agents listening to every word or of getting sent to Siberia in 1986, at points they act like it's still 1952 to... make the USSR look bad, I guess (or I guess a more charitable interpretation is to fit what the audience expects of the USSR but it's still lovely).

I thought it was made by Brits?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah and it doesn't work because it also portrays life in the Soviet Union as remarkably "normal." Like, the big threat against Legasov and other nuclear scientists for trying to tell the truth is that they'll be fired and can't be scientists anymore. The scene where they put him in a room with a drain and the KGB guy yells at him just seems cliche.

So it's remarkably balanced up to the point the writers remember that this is a show about why the Soviet Union is bad.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I would like Chernobyl more if the lead scientist would talk about a minor plot point in Mighty Mouse for 15 minutes at some point

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

brugroffil posted:

I thought it was made by Brits?

The creator is from Staten Island and was Ted Cruz's roommate in college

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

kinda neat how documentaries are just straight up doing the whole thriller thing now instead of trying to do some sort of 'objective' view of history

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

THS posted:

i didnt watch chernobyl because i assume its just propaganda against the glorious soviet union

The first 4.5 episodes are great and then it pontificates about the extremely unique situation in the Soviet Union of higher up bureaucrats ignoring the warnings of scientists and engineers and covering up their concerns coupled with stunning arrogance and pressure from the government causing a disaster, which definitely didn't happen in the US in the same year on January 28th

e:I just realized the drain was for blood

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zegermans posted:

lmao

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

using the blood drain rooms as a kgb officer long after the executions stopped seems like a p good way to gently caress with people. russians are very skilled at trolling

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rated PG-34 posted:

kinda neat how documentaries are just straight up doing the whole thriller thing now instead of trying to do some sort of 'objective' view of history

It's not a documentary

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Jose posted:

It's not a documentary

my bad i didnt watch it. still a general trend tho

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

zegermans posted:

Blood is sticky and doesn't flow well. The drain is for the water they use to hose all the blood off the floor

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Goon Danton posted:

The lead crisis in Pittsburgh from that chemical switcheroo happened right after we contracted out the water treatment duties to a private company :iiam:

There's also the fact lead pipes were still used for new construction in the US decades after they were banned in Europe. Some states still mandated the use of lead pipes in the 80s, up to the federal ban.

Just lol.

And in 2019, the US is a country that still uses asbestos, even though it has been outlawed in most of the rest of the "developed" world (including Canada!).

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013
Funny thing about Chernobyl is the idea of it being anti Soviet/Russian polemic being treated as cuckoo, when the writer has explicitly said that's what it is:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/chernobyl-finale-hbo-miniseries-craig-mazin-interview.html

quote:

For a million reasons, this was not an anti-nuclear polemic. It’s anti­–Soviet government, and it is anti-lie, and it is pro–human being

He connects it up to the Russiagate stuff:

quote:

I don’t mean to say that narrative is toxin. I think that narrative has become weaponized. Narrative is a beautiful thing. It’s how you understand the world, it’s how we relate to each other, and it’s how we organize our own memories. It’s how we organize our understanding of the past of our species …

The problem is when we weaponize it. I see it in politics now: Nobody can run for president without having a story. The Soviets were masters of weaponized narration. And interestingly, they appear to have continued that tradition. The KGB is gone, but the FSB is here.

The dissident scientists are characterised very similar to how he describes Hillary Clinton here:

quote:

And that’s where I just went, “Uh-oh.” Because that’s not correct. We’re now selling a story. I’m a politically moderate guy. I’ve voted for Republicans, I’ve voted for Democrats, and, lately, I’m struggling, because of the amount of narrative that’s poured on things. One of the reasons I think Hillary Clinton struggled—and I supported Hillary Clinton—was that she didn’t have this narrative that apparently everybody needs. She was just smart and wanted to do things. This is what I worry about, this need for narrative uber alles.

The "you didn't see graphite!!" etc. stuff comes across as if it's supposed to be proto fake-news/post truth. It's a good disaster thriller but I think the other aspects of it could date badly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Craig Mazin (born April 8, 1971) is an American screenwriter and film director best known for writing Identity Thief, The Hangover Part II, The Hangover Part III, and The Huntsman: Winter's War.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

He wrote and directed this lmao.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Encolpio posted:

The dissident scientists are characterised very similar to how he describes Hillary Clinton here:

Seems pretty loving wild to complain about Hillary not being able to win without a "good story," while he's pointing a finger of blame at faceless Soviet bureaucrats who were all vetted by the state's institutions and didn't really need compelling narratives to further their careers as functionaries.

The last episode after they're done relaying the events preceding the explosion is the worst, because it's nothing but narrative cliches piled on top of each other. The absolute worst is when Legasov tells Scherbina that of all the bureaucrats they could've sent to clean up Chernobyl they sent "the one good man." My dude, when you met Scherbina he was ready to throw you out of a helicopter just for being annoying, and he almost got everyone immediately killed by demanding to fly over the exposed core while threatening to shoot the pilot. Are we really supposed to believe that out of all the career party guys they could've sent, only Scherbina could handle the crisis? Give me a loving break.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Jun 10, 2019

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is narrative what liberals call ideology now?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i don't know if there's a south america/brazil/etc thread so ill just put this here.

it's so infuriating living in a super villain country that's hellbent on destroying the world, a country that's terminally corrupt and has completely succumbed to the greed of the richest people on the planet. a country that has no problem with this (and likely was involved in it)

https://twitter.com/LulaOficial/status/1137868175402524673
https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/1135947456175255553

but spends decades waging war on cuba and venezuela for not playing along

Fast Luck has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Jun 10, 2019

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
My favorite part is how they tried to portray the kgb as terrifying because they fired Legasov for whistle blowing. Yet the writer supports Clinton who "jokingly" wanted to assassinate Julian Assange for helping leak documents

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its a good tv show and not hugely accurate why are we discussing it in the venezuela thread of all places

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jose posted:

its a good tv show and not hugely accurate why are we discussing it in the venezuela thread of all places

wtf should we be discussing? venezula?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sorry, sorry, I'm still reading the OP before I make an informed post but still felt the need to contribute

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

wtf should we be discussing? venezula?

at this point nothing is really happening and there are only so many Jeb jokes one can make

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

has anything happened worth noting lately? I keep seeing Bolton throwing passive aggressive tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CharlestheHammer posted:

at this point nothing is really happening and there are only so many Jeb jokes one can make

incorrect, there are infinite jeb! jokes

just keep adding an exclamation point to the existing ones