Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

City council is neither Parliament nor a legislative assembly and could be dissolved entirely if the province wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

^^That explains it. But voting in secret by closed ballot.... a form of "expression"? If it isn't, would that mean it's legal to compel people to vote a certain way in a city council race?

Old and busted: Lower ATM fees

New and great: Lower cell phone bills

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 10, 2019

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
NDP has also come out proposing a mixed member proportional electoral system. Seems to be getting less publicity than cutting cell phone bills.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If I were NDP leader my telecoms proposal would be to establish a crown corporation national telecomms company to ruthlessly drive prices down through competition, thus also proving that the public sector can be far more efficient than private businesses because it can be designed from top to bottom to maximize benefit for the customer instead of maximizing profit.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Why is this bad? Canada has one of the most oligopolistic telecom sectors in the world, and whoever runs the government absolutely should be pushing to increase competition and protect consumers from anticompetitive behavior by incumbents. Maybe talking about lowering cell phone bills sounds like facile appeal to low-info voters, but Canada sorely needs a big push to increase competition across its economy, and anyone looking to get your vote should be saying these kinds of things.

Edit: And yes, Canada's financial sector is also extraordinarily oligopolistic.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kraftwerk posted:

That’s not what I said and you know it.

UBI is good and we should have it. But it doesn’t just magic away all our problems.
We still need to provide opportunities for people to work and do things that does better than UBI. Or we need to make it so UBI pays everyone at least 60k per year which we know is never going to happen due to a mix of political culture and social matters that will take years of social engineering to change.

We have a responsibility to ensure everyone in our society is taken care of.
But throwing 1/4th the sum required for a traditional middle class existence at the problem isn’t enough.
There needs to be opportunities. I’m talking about using StatsCan to figure out which industries pay the most and coming up with job training programs so that anyone who wants to do better than UBI has the opportunity to do so.

Humans will still need to work in this automated UBI future and it’s my hope that this work pays more than UBI and gives you a chance to do better than it if you should want it. We also have to find a way to keep landlords from charging predatory rents that negate the entire reason UBI exists in the first place. There’s just so many opportunities for abuse where you could coral the poor away from major cities into out of sight out of mind neglected communities.

UBI isn’t enough it’s the bare minimum. It’s just one of many things that needs to be done so people can live with dignity and respect in the globalized automated future.

If you’ve ever read or seen “the expanse” science fiction series, the people on Earth live miserable existences on basic income and only a select few are even allowed to go to school for job apprenticeships. We should try to avoid such a future and still keep a pipeline of opportunity to those who are on the program.

Let me preface this with saying I think the minimum wage should be something like 25 an hour.

Is it even possible in the modern government/political system the free world runs on today to have a guaranteed income that tops everyone up to atleast 60k a year? I mean it sounds amazing on paper but I am pretty sure if you did the math on that it, the single program would be more than our entire government budget. Unless you believe in our lifetime you will see some kind of super-rich, super-high tax that hasn't been done since pre-war days ( ie 75%-90% of all income earned above 1 or 10 million per year)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

The conservatives are running “He’s just not ready 2.0” anti-Trudeau ads. I just saw one and it had the same people, including the “but he’s got nice hair” guy. Same idea of looking though his resume and at the end a voice over says, with text overlay, “he’s still not ready”.

Turns out it's not "the conservatives" but an ~independent~ third-party group (not subject to any restrictions on fundraising or spending until June 30th) named "shaping Canada's future"
https://twitter.com/shapingcanada/status/1137814941069484032

(the unions also have a group running attack ads on Scheer)
https://twitter.com/EngageCanada/status/1132983675178459139

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 10, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

If I were NDP leader my telecoms proposal would be to establish a crown corporation national telecomms company to ruthlessly drive prices down through competition, thus also proving that the public sector can be far more efficient than private businesses because it can be designed from top to bottom to maximize benefit for the customer instead of maximizing profit.

Although our former crown corporation telecom companies were even more broadly hated than their private successors...

I think the root of telecom rage is basically tax rage, but for people who don't pay taxes yet. $10/mo of excess profits... Save us Jagmeet!

James Baud fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 10, 2019

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

"Because women spend more time cleaning their kids" :wtc:

What about all us daddy daycare types who shoulder 50%+1 of the household chores? Why does he slight us so :qq:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There were some people collecting donations to help fund long-term blockades and pipeline protests by my place, they were getting a lot of donations and support from people. What they also told me, when the conversation turned a little radical, is that they've also gotten tons of "joking" offers to hook them up with explosives, thermite, spike strips, and all manners or supplies needed for direct action against pipeline construction.

I absolutely do not think it will be possible for Justin to build his pipeline without violence. The entire construction site will need to be militarized, people will die fighting it. I imagine the people taking the brunt of state violence and murder will be first nation's protesters, like usual. We're going to see mass arrests and violation of rights on a scale that makes g20 look like due-process was followed.

Imagine a canada in a few years where Albertan volunteer militia's backed up by PMC's hired by the pipeline patrol BC in up-armoured F150's detaining or shooting suspected "economic terrorists".

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Nationalize the telcos you coward! :argh:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

IMO concerns about UBI are valid but shouldn't be taken as arguments against it, merely that if the establishment starts looking really eager about UBI you know they're going to strings attached that make it open for exploitation and poo poo. UBI good but when wealthy businessmen start saying UBI good, you know that they're going to try to implement it in a lovely way.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Argas posted:

IMO concerns about UBI are valid but shouldn't be taken as arguments against it, merely that if the establishment starts looking really eager about UBI you know they're going to strings attached that make it open for exploitation and poo poo. UBI good but when wealthy businessmen start saying UBI good, you know that they're going to try to implement it in a lovely way.

Yes. 100% this.
My posts about the topic are more an examination and criticism of the framework and expectations.
It’s too easy to just throw a Means tested UBI at the public and piss everyone off including the people it’s supposed to help.

The liberal party in particular is famous for bungling these kinds of proposals and ruining the reputation of the policy so that no sane implementation becomes politically popular in a lifetime.

So with rising demand for UBI, how do you get the government to implement it properly?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In case it wasn't obvious, there has been an uptick in rich people going "UBI...good?" in recent years.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

ARACHTION posted:

Thanks for that post, for what it’s worth, I emailed my mla after reading your post. Really looks like we’re going to have to strike in Sept?
If you want to be optimistic, Horgan has made some statements recently that indicate the NDP is starting to move in the right direction, and I've heard through the grapevine that negotiations have been redoubled to try to get a contract by the end of the month. On the other hand, I really don't foresee the BCTF backing down on any employer language that would roll back the SCC win. We may end up swallowing a 2/2/2 pay package with zero changes to the salary grid, but I think conceding on class size & composition would break the BCTF's back. We'll know which way it's going to go by the end of the month.

Even if we move in to job action, it'll start small before ramping up. Work-to-rule and rotating strikes.

What stood out to me when I met my MLA was how oblivious they were to the BCTFs concerns, despite all the noise we've been making online. To their credit, once our message started getting through, they kept us behind to ask more in-depth questions and have an informal discussion. I didn't get the impression that we were merely being humored. This was a very good reminder that Twitter isn't real life, and that conflating social media signal boosting with "real" political action is distorting if not self-defeating. Retweets and likes are no substitute for meeting and conversing in the flesh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just fuckin' raise taxes on the rich and pay the teachers what they need. Raise the empty home tax to 50% and pay for affordable housing. Just tax your problems to death.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Baronjutter posted:

Just fuckin' raise taxes on the rich and pay the teachers what they need. Raise the empty home tax to 50% and pay for affordable housing. Just tax your problems to death.

But the JOB CREATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

I'm not aware of a finding by any court (other than the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in this very case) that voting is an expressive act covered by 2(b). It's far from clear that freedom of expression even comes into play here.

And yet the Province's counsel chose to make that argument.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

K-12 is conspicuously absent as one of the predefined options on the BC NDP's annual survey asking supporters what we want the government to prioritize. I used the "other" and comment boxes to say they should implement teachers' recommendations on class size and composition. I have also contacted my MLA for whatever good that does.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

THC posted:

K-12 is conspicuously absent as one of the predefined options on the BC NDP's annual survey asking supporters what we want the government to prioritize. I used the "other" and comment boxes to say they should implement teachers' recommendations on class size and composition. I have also contacted my MLA for whatever good that does.

Thank you for reminding me.

BC Goons, please complete this: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5053...WwNZEB9A4ujjvnk

Feel free to write in education as a concern.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

There were some people collecting donations to help fund long-term blockades and pipeline protests by my place, they were getting a lot of donations and support from people. What they also told me, when the conversation turned a little radical, is that they've also gotten tons of "joking" offers to hook them up with explosives, thermite, spike strips, and all manners or supplies needed for direct action against pipeline construction.

I absolutely do not think it will be possible for Justin to build his pipeline without violence. The entire construction site will need to be militarized, people will die fighting it. I imagine the people taking the brunt of state violence and murder will be first nation's protesters, like usual. We're going to see mass arrests and violation of rights on a scale that makes g20 look like due-process was followed.

Imagine a canada in a few years where Albertan volunteer militia's backed up by PMC's hired by the pipeline patrol BC in up-armoured F150's detaining or shooting suspected "economic terrorists".

It would be cool if anyone cared that much about such politics but when is the last time a Canadian died protesting a pipeline or similar environmental action?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Baronjutter posted:

We're going to see mass arrests and violation of rights on a scale that makes g20 look like due-process was followed.

I appreciate the hyperbole, but G20 saw over 1000 people arrested and shoved in makeshift cages over the course of a weekend. I think it's unlikely a pipeline protest is going to top that

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In today's edition of poo poo I didn't know until today:

Kiefer Sutherland is Tommy Douglas' grandson.

How about that.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
When people voted for Trudeau in 2015 they voted for Social Democracy, and look where we are now.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I would argue for ending public cash for private schools. A recent Tyee poll said 4/5 BC residents approved of it. Yeah, I know the Tyee is biased, but those are some pretty strong numbers.

It was one of Québec Solidaire’s promises during the provincial election. They proposed a 2 year phase out period where schools could choose to fold into existing public districts or decide to go at it alone.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

ARACHTION posted:

I would argue for ending public cash for private schools. A recent Tyee poll said 4/5 BC residents approved of it. Yeah, I know the Tyee is biased, but those are some pretty strong numbers.

It was one of Québec Solidaire’s promises during the provincial election. They proposed a 2 year phase out period where schools could choose to fold into existing public districts or decide to go at it alone.

lol I had no idea this was a thing. Yeah that bullshit should end.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Gotta love the some former Liberal MMP arguing "move right, move right"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-mpp-liberal-party-centre-1.5168781

quote:

"The party moved too far to the left," said Pupatello about the Liberal party. "That's what people rejected. People started becoming quite annoyed."

yeah... that's gotta be the reason.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

zapplez posted:

It would be cool if anyone cared that much about such politics but when is the last time a Canadian died protesting a pipeline or similar environmental action?

Nobody died in Clayquot Sounds War in the Woods, but over 11,000 people were there for three months. I was there, although I barely remember it. Almost 1000 people were convicted on various trumped up charges in the aftermath. Also nearly 5000 opponents came in to counter-protest, but the social climate was different in '93 so tensions did not escalate.

I have equal parts optimism that the pipeline would spark a similarly sized response, and pessimism because the population now is thoroughly castrated against acts of civil disobedience and the pipeline is both distributed in locations as well as largely remote from population centers. Clayquot was easy, there was one road in and out and you could get there from Vancouver in like 5 hours tops. The pipeline presents serious organizational challenges.

In the current social climate of increasing radicalization on both sides, fueled by very short attention spans and tempers limiting discourse, driven by social media memes of nebulous purpose, I agree with BJ's analysis. If the pipeline goes ahead, people are going to get shot.

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 10, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Syfe posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-mpp-liberal-party-centre-1.5168781

the government being left wing is when my hydro bills are too high. the higher my hydro bills, the more left wing the government is

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Syfe posted:

Fun fact: Pupatello was the party insiders' favored candidate to take over following Dalton McGuinty and probably the only reason she lost is because of entryism by the Ontario Teachers unions, who were able to sway the convention in favour of their preferred candidate, Kathleen Wynne.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

In today's edition of poo poo I didn't know until today:

Kiefer Sutherland is Tommy Douglas' grandson.

How about that.

He even intro'd a video about Douglas' Mouseland speech for the United Food and Commercial Workers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqgOvzUeiAA

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

I have equal parts optimism that the pipeline would spark a similarly sized response, and pessimism because the population now is thoroughly castrated against acts of civil disobedience and the pipeline is both distributed in locations as well as largely remote from population centers. Clayquot was easy, there was one road in and out and you could get there from Vancouver in like 5 hours tops. The pipeline presents serious organizational challenges.

Never fear, the RCMP is still the police force in BC so there will definitely be pipeline bombings.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

vyelkin posted:

Something like this?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

sTop oBsTRuCTINg THE pipELinE HorgaN :bahgawd: metro vancouver gas prices fall more than 40 cents from record-breaking may highs

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Self censorship of indirect doxxing material. ;)

James Baud fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 11, 2019

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that that hardcore conservative Trump loving Ford voting dipshit I work with was all for the plastic ban.

Its making me feel like I overlooked some evil stipulation that they hid inside it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

From a few pages ago, but I heard a rumour that the province is going to award the contract to Perimeter Aviation which is a subsidiary of Income Exchange Corp which is headed and owned in large part by former Manitoba Premier Gary Filmon

Ahahahahah, it always comes back to that motherfucker, doesn't it.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Loving this elite-stoked secessionism in the west. Confederation is a lot weaker than most think.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
who's stoking what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dreylad posted:

who's stoking what now

Albexit and Cascadia.

Basically dumb idiots being whiny babies and thinking they can create their own resource extraction based conservative utopia.