Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

man I'm not even touching y'alls extremely furious positions on toddlerwear I just liked the attempt to make it somehow less weird by bringing dog bikinis into the mix, and the general "when you think about it words are just noises, man, it's society that gives them meaning" take

It is just an example of how clothes matter in some contexts and not others and we are capable as a society of changing the meaning we attribute to clothes, if we want to. That is why we do not swim in full clothes anymore in the US. It is not at all analogous to just throwing your hands up and saying “why do words mean things?” It is providing an example of thinking in a way that is neutral and non sexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MasBrillante posted:

Listen, I’m just saying that parents dressing their babies at cute stuff they find at the store is fine. They are not creepy or sexualizing their children, even if other adults can’t seem to separate the contexts.

The context IS different because these are babies. I’m saying instead of trying to make people feel bad for dressing their babies in funny cute things, lets make people feel bad for sexualizing clothing when it is put on babies.
I don't think the parents are messing up, fwiw, I just think it's weird that apparently it's tricky to find one-piece bathing suits for little kids these days. Two-piece suits are fine but it's nice to have a range of options.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Name-erasing girlfriend is a possessive rear end; it’d be different it was just exes or something but it sounds like it’s everyone.

Drunk sister OP is NTA. I’m super glad they didn’t just say “no I’m not coming” and not call the parents, that could have been dangerous.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

irrespective of whether baby nipple pasties are socially acceptable bordering on mandatory, if someone dresses their dog up in a bikini they are 110% loving that dog

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenocides posted:

There are some mentally damaged parents out there overtly and consciously sexualizing their children. I do not think it is always pedophilia. Sometimes it is just living vicariously through their kids to recapture youth and sexual attention. I had a friend growing up and she had a mom who was basically trying to shove her into relationships at 14 and 15 and you could tell if was all mom wanting to relive her teenage years and young love stuff through her daughter. Weird as hell. I suspect child pageants come from a similar derangement.

True. I just don’t think that’s the entire explanation and I think there’s room to push people to think in ways that are less harmful to the welfare autonomy of children at the end of the day.

PetraCore posted:

I don't think the parents are messing up, fwiw, I just think it's weird that apparently it's tricky to find one-piece bathing suits for little kids these days. Two-piece suits are fine but it's nice to have a range of options.

That’s real as gently caress. I remember when I was little, I had two pieces that met in the middle because they are easier for parents I guess? Are those not a thing anymore?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not picking up my drunk little sister from a house party?

My sister is 16 and I’m 24. We have conservative parents who discouraged us from drinking or doing anything that would “shame the family”, etc.

I moved out as soon as I could and have done a decent job of distancing myself relatively from my parents.

My job requires me to work long days so my sleep is really important to me and my sister knows this.

Last night, around 2am, I get a call from my sister and she says that she snuck out of the house and she’s really drunk and at a party with a bunch of older people and she needs me to come pick her up and she gave me the address (which was about 45 minutes away).

I worked this morning at 5am so there was no way I was getting up and picking her up and losing sleep. I told her that she should take responsibility and call our parents to come pick her up. She started pleading with me and crying and begging me to come get her but I told her to call either mom or dad.

She kept yelling so I just hung up on her. I called my parents and told them where she was and she needed them to come get her. I didn’t think about it again and I fell back asleep.

On my break this morning I get a call from my parents saying that my sister is grounded and had her phone taken away from her. They thanked me for calling them.

I was talking to my coworker and she said that I was being a little harsh and that I should’ve gone to get her just this once to make sure she was safe. I responded that I called my parents to pick her up and it wasn’t my responsibility to bail her out of a party.

I’ve gotten other opinions that have kind of made it seem as though I was the rear end in a top hat but I think I did the right thing.

That said, AITA?

Did this happen in like 2009, before Uber existed?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

it's probably not reasonable to assume that drunks in 2019 are using Uber unless that's how they got to the party, either

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

gotta have a credit card for uber, which she probably does, but her parents probably check it if they're conservative assholes and i'm betting "coming home from a party at 2 AM" is probably still a strike in their book

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MasBrillante posted:

That’s real as gently caress. I remember when I was little, I had two pieces that met in the middle because they are easier for parents I guess? Are those not a thing anymore?

They are difficult to find and I'm not googling "child bikinis" to show you because I don't need Google giving me creepy YouTube recommendations forever.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MasBrillante posted:

Yeah I remember those, easier for bathrooms too. And there were a lot of kid two-piece swimsuits that just, like, had a strip of belly or whatever. Tankinis I think they were called?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MasBrillante posted:

True. I just don’t think that’s the entire explanation and I think there’s room to push people to think in ways that are less harmful to the welfare autonomy of children at the end of the day.

Yeah, those are a thing. It makes it easier when it comes time for using the toilet. You just have to wade through rack after rack of cutesy poo poo before you find one of those.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Hellblazer187 posted:

Not all 16 year olds have a credit card or cash for an Uber on them at all times.

It is weird to me that he is not willing to do this. I have two little sisters and would be out of bed and driving quickly if I thought they were in any danger. I am wondering if this is an ongoing problem and he is burned out helping her. If it is one time thing YTA. If this is an ongoing thing she keeps doing NTA.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
This whole dumb convo about kid bikinis is moot since most of you all aren't allowed within 100 yards anyways.

More content and less blowhards wrestling their inner pedophile

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My 4 year old is a water bug, and wearing a two piece means she can pee without having to take off her life jacket and struggle in the bathroom. I'm weirded out by the people saying it is inherently sexual to wear a two piece.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Chichevache posted:

That's a good dog. Pet it for me.

She's the best dog and I adore her. :kimchi:

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenocides posted:

Not all 16 year olds have a credit card or cash for an Uber on them at all times.

It is weird to me that he is not willing to do this. I have two little sisters and would be out of bed and driving quickly if I thought they were in any danger. I am wondering if this is an ongoing problem.

To be fair, they called their parents to pick them up. So it’s not as if they left them in danger. It’s not how I would have done it, but I can see why the need to check if they are the rear end in a top hat, I guess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I moved out as soon as I could and have done a decent job of distancing myself relatively from my parents.

Sounds like the lovely apple didn't fall far from the lovely tree.

And, good work on making sure your little sister will never trust you with anything ever again.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Djeser posted:

it's fair to say that you find bikinis on little kids weird but it's weird in the same dimension as like, "i love suckin titty" shirts for babies
"i love suckin titty" shirts for babies are sexualization of children, though. If someone is making a one off verbal joke about titty sucking then it's just a kind of gross joke, but whatever. But if someone is constantly making that joke or finds it so hilarious that they put that on a shirt for their child then they are absolutely giving their child a sexual dimension. You can say "but babies do love sucking titties, if you're reading that sexually that's your problem it's just a factual statement" all you want, but the only reason that's on a shirt is the double entendre.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

On the one hand I like to think that I'd be willing to go and help someone I care about get home from a party no matter what, but on the other hand I also have to get up at 5 AM for work and if someone woke me up at 2 in the morning asking me for anything at all on the phone, I would make a series of inarticulate noises and pass back out, so this guy actually has one up on me

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I remember those, easier for bathrooms too. And there were a lot of kid two-piece swimsuits that just, like, had a strip of belly or whatever. Tankinis I think they were called?

Tankinis are really cool and cute and they've been coming back into style over the past couple years or so. My girlfriend was looking at a few that were very pretty recently. Even Target has some great stuff these days.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 10, 2019

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sounds like the lovely apple didn't fall far from the lovely tree.

And, good work on making sure your little sister will never trust you with anything ever again.

Have you ever heard of the crab who got out of the bucket just standing on the outside poking the little crab with a stick?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for erasing my boyfriend's ex girlfriend's names from his wall?
"I can't believe he called me possessive just because I want him to forget his entire life before we started dating! How dare he not change his house's decor to fulfill my whims!"

Yeah she seems like a real winner.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There's a wide range of what falls under two piece, please just dont put your baby or small child in a thong I dont know if those exist and I am not gonna try to find out

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I hope OP's little sister never speaks to them again because they are literal garbage. Picking up your drunk younger sibling discreetly without judgment is like Decent Family 101.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for erasing my boyfriend's ex girlfriend's names from his wall?

When he got home, my boyfriend noticed and asked me about it. I told him the truth and that it wasn't healthy to hold onto the past like that. I told him I didnt want to live in a museum of his past sexual history. He got really upset and told me I was being possessive and overreacting. He then said I was going to make it awkward the next time his exes came over (they are still friends and are dating other people in his friend group) because they will notice their names are gone and will think my boyfriend did it.

Love this paragraph. The people who melt down the hardest are always the first to pull the “health” card in a conflict. And lol that the exes are still coming over anyway.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AITA for telling my 16 y/o sister that if she needs someone to buy her Plan B, don’t come to me?

quote:

So this is going to require some backstory, and I apologize in advance.

I'm 20M for reference. 8 months ago she texts me she had to tell me something. When I saw her next I asked what it was, she cried and said she couldn't tell me. I eventually guessed it, and told her to get in my car and I'll take her to get her Plan B. She had the money but I guess she was too scared to go buy it herself.

Afterwards I continued talking for awhile (into ~4am) to make sure she was okay before I went to bed. I told her that my gf and I have needed it, she's not alone, she's not a bad person, etc. A couple days later, my gf approached my sister in private to tell her nice things and comfort her. My girlfriend asked for my permission to do this, but it was completely unprompted and just a super nice thing to do, since they had never spoken much before. After this we were both on really good terms with my sister.

So 1 month ago, I tell my parents the date I'm leaving college (5 hours away) for summer break. My sister texts me asking me to leave ~5 hours earlier so that I can drive her to visit our mom who may be visiting. I said I already have established plans and I'm not changing them. She says i’m selfish, inconsiderate, not willing to put family first, etc. I stand my ground and she tells me to "gently caress off" and blocks me on all social media. She does this whenever she's mad at me, which is usually when I can't/won't do her a favor. A couple hours later my girlfriend realizes she's blocked too, not sure why.

Here's the AITA part

A week later I’m home and one of the first things she says (in a casual, laughing, not mad tone) is "how did (gf) react to me blocking her?". I tell her that it was rude, that my girlfriend was hurt, and she needs to learn better conflict-resolving skills instead of cutting people off at the slightest provocation. She crosses the line by telling me "well maybe you should't date a freaking twelve year old" (because my girlfriend is really short and my sister thinks she looks really young) before heading to her room. Keep in mind that my girlfriend has been NOTHING but incredibly nice to my sister. A couple minutes later I text her:

The next time you have something to say about me or (gf), remember who you came crying to asking for Plan B at 16 years old. Because the next time it happens, it won't be me.

She expectedly told me to gently caress myself and said she's "never associating with me again". On one hand what I said was harsh, but I'm so done with her taking advantage of me (or my girlfriend) for favors, and completely throwing people away when they can't do them. Furthermore, she's sixteen years old. IMO that's old enough to face consequences of your own words.

TL;DR: Girlfriend and I are nothing but supportive to my sister, who acts entitled to favors at her disposal. Made a personal attack about my girlfriend, told her to not come crying to me anymore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Willfrey posted:

This whole dumb convo about kid bikinis is moot since most of you all aren't allowed within 100 yards anyways.

More content and less blowhards wrestling their inner pedophile

I think that’s just you projecting, mate.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So glad I don't have a younger sister to be inexplicably terrible to because ~principles ~

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

So glad I don't have a younger sister to be inexplicably terrible to because ~principles ~

If you’re talking about the Plan B one, read the post because that’s not it at all.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

DreamingofRoses posted:

If you’re talking about the Plan B one, read the post because that’s not it at all.

I am totally open to discuss that with my limited understanding.
I understand Plan B to be birth control of some kind, the OP having a girlfriend and presumably a regular need for said birth control and that the sister is 16 (!)
Why isn't he being a good older brother and just doing the thing before sister gets irreversibly pregnant or worse

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sjs00 posted:

I understand Plan B to be birth control of some kind, the OP having a girlfriend and presumably a regular need for said birth control and that the sister is 16 (!)
Why isn't he being a good older brother and just doing the thing before sister gets irreversibly pregnant or worse

He already did it once, he saying he's not going to do it again (if the need pops up) because his sister is a royal pain in the rear end.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

On the one hand I like to think that I'd be willing to go and help someone I care about get home from a party no matter what, but on the other hand I also have to get up at 5 AM for work and if someone woke me up at 2 in the morning asking me for anything at all on the phone, I would make a series of inarticulate noises and pass back out, so this guy actually has one up on me

realistically same

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

can't believe my sixteen year old sister acts irrational and over-dramatic

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

tactlessbastard posted:

He already did it once, he saying he's not going to do it again (if the need pops up) because his sister is a royal pain in the rear end.

The sister asked for him leave somewhere early to drive her to visit the mother. At 16 maybe she is too young or too impoverished to have a car or Uber. Not really an unreasonable request?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sjs00 posted:

Plan B is a form of emergency contraception. It is not meant to be a replacement for birth control used during sex.

So essentially he said “next time you have an emergency, don’t come crying to me.” Which is probably not the best thing to tell a 16 year old, or a sibling.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Djeser posted:

can't believe my sixteen year old sister acts irrational and over-dramatic

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

The sister asked for him leave somewhere early to drive her to visit the mother. At 16 maybe she is too young or too impoverished to have a car or Uber. Not really an unreasonable request?

After being called “selfish” and “never putting family first “ for not breaking plans to drive 5 hours, and being blocked on all social media and then coming home to the sister laughing at hurting the girlfriends feelings, I think it might be a little understandable. Especially after he and his girlfriend already helped her through a bad time.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sjs00 posted:

I'm talking about the petulant blocking and the poo poo taking his gf

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

It's not unreasonable, but neither is "No, sorry, I have other stuff I need to do." an unreasonable response to someone asking you to leave 5 hours earlier than you'd planned to, and "gently caress you" followed by cutting off communications with you for a week is a very unreasonable response to that

The sister is 16, she's still a child but she's old enough that she doesn't get to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone around her for no reason and nobody can really be expected to put up with someone treating them like loving garbage and saying a bunch of hurtful poo poo about them and their loved ones just because they're young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

DreamingofRoses posted:

After being called “selfish” and “never putting family first “ for not breaking plans to drive 5 hours, and being blocked on all social media and then coming home to the sister laughing at hurting the girlfriends feelings, I think it might be a little understandable. Especially after he and his girlfriend already helped her through a bad time.

I suppose. The problem (as with all unreliable narrators) is that if taken at face value the next update would be
"So my sister is now an unplanned pregnancy I could have prevented/ she went to visit the mother with a sketchy friend of hers and we haven't heard from her for 3 days" followed up with the OP having a smug "I told you so"