Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Warmachine posted:

The entire realm hates this fucker.

Pfft. In one of my empire games I found someone so unpopular that the plot to kill him instantly went over 2000% plot power and would have gone over 4000% from stragglers still trailing in if it hadn't popped.

And of course someone blabbed in the week or two before this happened, giving me the Dishonourable malus with my entire empire of people who practically to a man had been falling over themselves to offer up snakes, turdbombs and dodgy carpenters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
So I'm looking to shift my capitol from Connacht to Dublin... the only problem is Dublin is still a crappy tribal holding. From reading, it seems like I've got to up my technology spread so I can build the Tier IV stone hillfort - how best can I speed this up?

(The extra holding spot isn't the be all end all, I'm just trying to RP the seat of power for my potato empire properly)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If you're feudal, you can use your steward to spread tech. Or you could move your capital to Dublin and spend tech points on increasing the local tech level immediately.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jedit posted:

snakes, turdbombs and dodgy carpenters.

Thread title

RE Capital change to Dublin: If you've already got Ireland pretty much nailed down, have a couple decades left on your current ruler, and your vassals aren't all trying to revolt/murder you then I'd say just make the switch and pump points into castle tech and start upgrading the hillfort or whatever to convert the county to feudal. May as well rip the bandaid off early so you can build it into a proper capital asap.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 9, 2019

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah it really is different. Basically the army chooses the next Basileus. All councilors, family members, and commanders are eligible candidates. And all commanders, leader of the Scholae Palatinae, and the Marshal are electors. And commanders can't be random schmuck courtiers with a penchant for war. They have to be landed to be elegible for commander selection. Also a buncha different things dictate the weight of their votes like various stat scores and honorary titles (which the Byzantines literally have 50+ of now, there's like 3-5 different titles that have 10-20 slots each, some of which may or may not be allowed for dynasty members).

My current strategy is raising all my males as soldiers and landing them. Then I make them commanders and such to stack the electorate with my own dynasty to ensure that my dynasty remains in control of the empire, even if they decide to elect the absolute worst of the family. Those few electors that aren't family but are favorable to your candidate nomination you stack with every honorary title you can to give their votes more weight. Naturally you do this with your familial electors too. Not all honorary titles can be given to family and not all can be given to non-family.

Is that a permanent Adair then or is there a way to strip the council of that power so your son's just inherit without some random guy having a say?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This reminds me, can I change the thread title? By editing the OP or something like that? Because I don't see the option anywhere, the special thing I can do is to close the thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
No, you have to bug a mod to have it changed

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
I found it, the best event chain.

I got a pet cat, and then my friend gave me a pet dog. They started fighting :(

But then they became best of friends :3:

https://imgur.com/a/fPt0CBT

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

spacebard posted:

Interesting choice of event art in that first event window.

Recently I had an event where I could either risk duel and get wounded to save my pet owl or let it be killed by enemies. Of course I chose to save it.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

the decisions to have your dog take a killing blow for you, to "silently discard" of the puppy, to kill your owl,

these should all be stealth game-overs :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

juche avocado posted:

the decisions to have your dog take a killing blow for you, to "silently discard" of the puppy, to kill your owl,

these should all be stealth game-overs :colbert:

It is, all of your descendants will have cancer

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ethics_Gradient posted:

So I'm looking to shift my capitol from Connacht to Dublin... the only problem is Dublin is still a crappy tribal holding. From reading, it seems like I've got to up my technology spread so I can build the Tier IV stone hillfort - how best can I speed this up?

(The extra holding spot isn't the be all end all, I'm just trying to RP the seat of power for my potato empire properly)

Any county you personally hold gets a big tech boost, so you should be holding Dublin already. Beyond that, not much other than just biting the bullet and making the move. Once it's your capital, it'll do much better tech-wise.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Thrasophius posted:

Is that a permanent Adair then or is there a way to strip the council of that power so your son's just inherit without some random guy having a say?

Only way for that to change afaik I know is a successful government change faction. There's nothing random about it tho. You have full control over who gets a say, since it's you that appoints the marshal/your commanders.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Azhais posted:

It is, all of your descendants will have cancer

they do already though??? what am i supposed to do build ziggurats to Faithful The Dog in literally every province i own

i mean I'll do it

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Volkerball posted:

Any county you personally hold gets a big tech boost, so you should be holding Dublin already. Beyond that, not much other than just biting the bullet and making the move. Once it's your capital, it'll do much better tech-wise.

Should have done this - it took forever - don't think it actually converted until they adopted Irish culture (was Norwegian when I took it over), not sure if coincidence or it needed that to fire. By that point I'd already build a new holding in my old capitol, and was halfway through one of the Great Works so decided stuff it - will move my capitol to London if/when I get it but leave it in West Potatoshire for now.

I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to scoop up all of Scotland through a strong claim I had thanks to marrying a sister off to the king way back when. May be the first time I've really managed that before - was usually just nibbling away county by county and sometimes getting lucky with a duchy (currently working on this in Wales, England is pretty strong and unified so biding my time). It's gratifying to see everyone bug out when your threat level goes up suddenly like that.

Beyond pacts and alliances, is there a way to tell what potential allies someone might be able to call in? Before Scotland I went to roll a two-county duke in Wales and all of a sudden the King of Spain shows up and stomps me. (May have forgotten to check pacts/alliances before, tbf)

Questions about crusading

I like but am not sure how best to use the new crusade mechanics. Considering the name of the actual game I think crusading was a little too much in the background before - I remember being able to effectively ignore it with no penalty when I used to play. I usually couldn't be bothered because I didn't like being away from home with my armies (vassals starting trouble), plus the costs of ships and iffy payoff, and not being interested in a bunch of distant real-estate.

Anyways, the new pop up lets you know the Pope actually means business about participating, and I was in a slow period waiting for some truces to expire, so I figured what the heck and joined the mob of Catholic fire ants swarming the fat juicy caterpillar that was Muslim-held Egypt.

To my surprise I was reasonably successful: I got a decent relic and more or less enough gold to offset my costs, plus some prestige/piety and Crusader trait. Had no idea what I was doing and just tried to glom on to a bigger Catholic doomstack. 8/10 would crusade again.

The second one, against pagans in Lithuania I am pretty sure I got absolutely nothing for, despite doing pretty much the same thing?

Then I did one in Arabia and got smoked - I kept running into stacks of 10-15k Muslims with my army of maybe 5,000 before I could join up with anyone bigger, and finished up with like 750 dudes surviving at the end. Not sure I really even seiged anything effectively... but apparently I "won" and was given like 14k gold and a similar amount of prestige? Needless to say I was pretty chuffed but not really sure how/why it happened... did I get the "tryhard award" or something?

Also not sure about how best to use the beneficiary thing - what sort of person is good to give it to? I gave the bits of land I got in Egypt to a 38 year old spinster sister (who surprised me by getting knocked up right after), whose dynasty is still kicking it there. The Arabian holdings from the runaway success crusade I gave to my twin brother since I figured it'd make him happy and also get him out of the picture, but now I've got a Twin Brother for King faction at home. Doesn't have much plot power and I'm not too worried, but now that he's got his own fief he feels like more of a potential threat.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 10, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Dublin is a better capital for a British empire than London. It's much more central to the rest of the isles. London as a capital only really makes sense if you're working with important holdings on continental Europe.

There's the weird meta considerations of the "best" capital duchy, but if you've started conquering the continent anyways, Flanders is theoretically one of the top duchies anyways, and it's right there. Although then you get into the question of exposing your capital to continental invasion and whether you'll need to ferry your personal troops across the channel.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like Dublin is a better capital for a British empire than London. It's much more central to the rest of the isles. London as a capital only really makes sense if you're working with important holdings on continental Europe.

There's the weird meta considerations of the "best" capital duchy, but if you've started conquering the continent anyways, Flanders is theoretically one of the top duchies anyways, and it's right there. Although then you get into the question of exposing your capital to continental invasion and whether you'll need to ferry your personal troops across the channel.

I like one of the two coastal duchies in Wales best as my capital. You can walk your troops easily to your English interior holdings if some peasants or heretics put up a fuss, but you can also just use ships to ferry your troops anywhere you like. And you don't have one inland country like you do with the duchy of Dublin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Various Meat Products posted:

ctrl+left click, just the same as in-game

I finally got around to playing again and what the gently caress is this witchcraft

why would they make this feature and never mention it anywhere

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Coolguye posted:

1) the stoic intelligentsia is not even close to as good as the society of saint benedict - the benedictans will proc virtues for you for free just for existing in the society, the stoics will not.
All monastic orders do that, including the stoic intelligentsia. Unless I am both misremembering and misreading code here.

It's not exactly "just for existing," though; it's from completing missions, most dramatically through the seclusion mission. Which you actually get more often through the stoics, since they don't qualify for the donation or "build a church" missions.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strudel Man posted:

All monastic orders do that, including the stoic intelligentsia. Unless I am both misremembering and misreading code here.

It's not exactly "just for existing," though; it's from completing missions, most dramatically through the seclusion mission. Which you actually get more often through the stoics, since they don't qualify for the donation or "build a church" missions.

You get diligent for free when you get rank 4 of the Benedictine Order, but other than that, you're right that every monastic order procs missions to give you virtues.

I also think that having the ability to instantly convert a province to your culture is worth more than to convert a province to your religion. You and your vassals can send out your court chaplain to do the latter, while you have to wait for culture conversion events to pop for the former.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the intelligentsia does not specifically because the very catholic-centered seven virtues are not always a good thing for pagans. wroth, for example, is considered a positive trait to warlike religions, while patient is considered 'bad'. due to reforms it's entirely possible hellenism is warlike. having a fellow stoic delete your in-character 'good' trait and replace it with a 'bad' one is therefore inappropriate and therefore the stoics don't do it.

all the abrahamic monastics will have brothers and sisters show up out of nowhere to make you randomly temperate or something though. mechanically, of course, virtues almost always are better than their vice counterparts (and at the very least, both virtue and vice are pretty much always preferable to nothing at all) so i maintain this is a strike against the stoics and in favor of the abrahamic monastics.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 10, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just edited the history files in my 867 HIP start so that the last scions of extinct bloodlines are still kicking at 110+ :kheldragar:
(Narsieh Sassanid is 191, Pulcheria Theodosia is 430!!)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Coolguye posted:

the intelligentsia does not specifically because the very catholic-centered seven virtues are not always a good thing for pagans. wroth, for example, is considered a positive trait to warlike religions, while patient is considered 'bad'. due to reforms it's entirely possible hellenism is warlike. having a fellow stoic delete your in-character 'good' trait and replace it with a 'bad' one is therefore inappropriate and therefore the stoics don't do it.
...but they do.

Odd, though. It's missing the string for the appropriate sort of religious person they're talking about. (That is, wish to become a better what?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
In all my years of playing CK2 I never actually got to play in Ireland. Just tried it, earliest start dates, one of 2 province dudes - Dublin de jure duchy, I think. I previously played Easter European tribals, but those were Pagan and much more dynamic.

So what's the path to glory for a Christian Tribal Irish guy? I will want to take tanistry because why else play Irish, but it's 10 years into the future. At the moment I see no easy way of expansion. I can't even make others tributary because it requires Majesty 4 tech now. I have claims on another 2 province tribe but they can beat me. I've antagonized some weaker neighbour until we became rivals and fought a rivalry war which mostly meant prestige for me. I also looted some other neighbors. It looks like I have to build powerbase with prestige and gold I get from raiding and non-conquest wars. I can declare border conflict wars but those cost 100 gold and prestige which is pricey for a poor tribal lord. And of course there's claim generation with a chancellor but it's unreliable and it also makes me paranoid: I'm not sure how much money will I need when it fires so I'm afraid of getting in debt.

Do I miss anything?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finally got around to playing again and what the gently caress is this witchcraft

why would they make this feature and never mention it anywhere

Oh god, I remember reading about it in some devdiary. Why is this not on all the time?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You still can make people pay tribute to them. Making it a permanent state of affairs is the new, tech-locked option.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_Belli#Establish_Tributary_State
Requires Majesty 4 in Europe (region) and Majesty 2 elsewhere. Can be used against realms that border a tributary of the same type, even if they are not otherwise in range.

Huh. I remember doing this as Eastern Europe with ease. Maybe it wasn't considered Europe and they start with Majesty 2?..

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As for the earlier question on the Crusades, the Pope seems to heavily factor in how many dudes you got killed when it comes time to handing out rewards. So running your decently sized army into a giant sized meat grinder would be a Good Thing as far as that goes.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

Only way for that to change afaik I know is a successful government change faction. There's nothing random about it tho. You have full control over who gets a say, since it's you that appoints the marshal/your commanders.

Ah OK so it can be kind of reliable then. I guess I'll carouse a bunch, make friends and stick them in the positions. I like your idea of a military dynasty, no matter who ends up emperor at least they'll be good at kicking rear end, hopefully.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So far it's been going well for me. Plus you still get kids who just don't end up suitable for a military education so they end up doing other things like being chancellor (which pushes out some rando from being eligible for election).

But the long and short is any councillor, dynasty member, or commander is eligible to be elected Basileus. Only the Marshall and commanders get to vote, and the weight of their vote depends on stats, traits, prestige, honorary titles and so on.

So I fill as many of those positions as possible with dynasty members and stack them with the numerous honorary titles the Byzantines now have to beef up the weight of their vote. Those that aren't family I either beef up with titles or try to undermine them somehow depending on if they're going along with my nomination for the next Basileus.

It's a very controllable system though.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

ilitarist posted:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_Belli#Establish_Tributary_State
Requires Majesty 4 in Europe (region) and Majesty 2 elsewhere. Can be used against realms that border a tributary of the same type, even if they are not otherwise in range.

Huh. I remember doing this as Eastern Europe with ease. Maybe it wasn't considered Europe and they start with Majesty 2?..

"Extort tribute" is the CB you'll want to use

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

...but they do.

Odd, though. It's missing the string for the appropriate sort of religious person they're talking about. (That is, wish to become a better what?)

That must have gotten changed or fixed in a recent patch, then - that was explicitly not happening in my ongoing stream through and it’s the primary reason I stopped using the stoics after founding them. Glad that changed though, that was loving obnoxious.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Had a hell of a run in my latest game. The Kingdom of Arles seemed like the good option to fool around with the new start date, but after Germany quickly absorbed Lotharingia, I found myself surrounded by powers that could double my 3k troops, so no good avenue of expansion. I barely managed to take a single province on Sardinia, but Italy took the entire rest of the island out from under me. I also managed to snag Mallorca.

I thought I had a good thing going by marrying my heir to the duchess of Swabia, but she died after a year, and my idiot son married a commoner instead of accepting a new arranged marriage since I had landed him. My last visible avenue of expansion was that my mother still had a claim on Swabia that I could try pressing to bring it into Arles. I rounded up all the alliances I could, and declared war on Germany, starting a long, long hellwar that lasted over a decade. I kept having to invite new commanders to court to replace the last generation dying in battle, and I tried to spread my alliance web as far as possible. I even assassinated the king of germany halfway through to weaken things or try capturing the regent in the capital.

Halfway through the war, the Umayyads declared holy war on me for Mallorca, which I didn't do a drat thing about. It was going to be Swabia or bust for me. France and Italy out of the blue offered to fight that war for me, and I never sent a single troop south. I thought I had something when the doux of Sicily who I married my daughter to became Byzantine emperor, but he kept marching his 10k stack up to the tip of Germany and then not fighting the 7k troops or sieging anything. Disappointing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Coolguye posted:

That must have gotten changed or fixed in a recent patch, then - that was explicitly not happening in my ongoing stream through and it’s the primary reason I stopped using the stoics after founding them. Glad that changed though, that was loving obnoxious.
Actually, I bet I know what your problem was. Like I mentioned earlier, the purification doesn't happen randomly over time, but when you do missions. And the event to hand out a mission for monastic societies requires that you not be the grandmaster - this is why the regular monastic societies give a massive bonus to theocratic leaders for selecting the next grandmaster, so that the player won't get it and can still be assigned missions. But if you found the Stoics, you get appointed grandmaster, and will therefore never get any missions for them. To get that screenshot, I had to found them, leave the society, and then rejoin.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 10, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i was getting missions (i joined with my empress's daughter afterward), but i found the problem. i have an old copy of the txt files back from before the wonders update (i always do searching on non-live code so i don't accidentally gently caress up my game) and what happened was that the stoics weren't considered a proper monastic society for the purposes of these follow-up procs until recently - so it looks like it's just one of a few dozen other bugs and oversights that got fixed in the last few patches. the fact that the stoics lack a worshipper-name in the event proc you screenshotted is probably a bang on of this.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I think this game might have ruined other strategy games for me

I tried to play Shogun 2: Total War, and I was bored after like 1 hour. What's the point? Just blob on the map, that's it? It just feels stupid and pointless after a game like CK2.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

I think this game might have ruined other strategy games for me

I tried to play Shogun 2: Total War, and I was bored after like 1 hour. What's the point? Just blob on the map, that's it? It just feels stupid and pointless after a game like CK2.
Combat?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

It's only fun if you are outnumbered, otherwise it's paint by numbers.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

ElGroucho posted:

I think this game might have ruined other strategy games for me.

It has for me. Ill realized it (and had mentioned) earlier in the thread but my actual wife was wondering if I was upset as I kept muttering under my breath "who the gently caress are you" and "gently caress off" during a trying time in a African game I was playing. Everyone wanted a piece of the 4 year old child during a hell regency and hellish early reign. Ended up reforming the faith, though I didn't get to forge an empire due to cash problems.

Edit: I know I sound like a crazy person/goons.txt,but I never had a game absorb my attention and time that much.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

spacebard posted:

Sometimes this ends poorly. I've only had it once though.