Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

Also worth noting a tiny little cameo on the right edge, behind the Arachnotron...

Haha there’s the big canon reveal we’ve all been waiting for. The Doom Slayer is just Doomguy after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Gonna need a some tips from the pros to figure out how to kill this guy, I'm not sure what to do.

My (huge) guts tell me that you need to Shoot at it until it dies

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Also worth noting a tiny little cameo on the right edge, behind the Arachnotron...

what uh...what am i looking for?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

what uh...what am i looking for?

🐇

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

fishmech posted:

That's the exactly the kind of thing Tom Hall wanted Commander Keen to be 30 years back.

https://twitter.com/ThatTomHall/status/1137907336750567424

wrong again

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Tom Hall makes F2P mobile Diner Dash games nowadays, so odds are it's more true than he'd perhaps like to admit.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

If you suffer from a lack of graphics jargon in your life, Digital Foundry has a new video on Quake 2 RTX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9vXz9-C-AY
This is clearly intended to be a tech demo and not a definitive version of the game. In nearly all the comparison shots I thought the classic renderer was easily the best aesthetically. It does look like you can tweak a bunch of stuff to make it look closer to how it’s supposed to, but the textures always end up looking either too flat or too showy. Occasionally there are happy accidents where the level geometry & light combinations produce something super dramatic but most of the time the effects are really subtle. The light effect from underwater flares was super cool though.

Still think Quake 2 was not that good for showing off raytracing but maybe there will be more techdemo games?
The render might transfer to other quake 2 engine games so raytraced heretic 2? I'd definitely be interested if they raytrace something like Serious Sam or Halflife or another cinematic shooter from that era with more color and interesting/moving evironments.
Ground Zero expansion has some levels that would probably be better at showing off the RTX too, big lava rooms with moving bits.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 10, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If we're going to have mobile games based on a long dead id Software series, I'd rather see a new Rescue Rover.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6rINH2e96g

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If we're going to have mobile games based on a long dead id Software series, I'd rather see a new Rescue Rover.
I don't think Id ever owned Rescue Rover, since it was developed to fulfil contractual obligations to Softdisk, and I think the stuff they owned has kinda scattered around a bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I swear, iD, im going to get a job at you just to release your RPGs on modern systems.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

Tom Hall makes F2P mobile Diner Dash games nowadays, so odds are it's more true than he'd perhaps like to admit.

Yep. Also a little bitter he's not making the money.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well I'm glad that a lot of his poo poo got cut from Doom because it would have ended being a lovely FMV sci-fi game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fishmech posted:

Yep. Also a little bitter he's not making the money.
I suspect the new Diner Dash is probably gonna be more successful than this new Keen thing due to the different target demographic and oh god it hurts so much aaAAAAUGH (INSERT IMAGE OF A MARKETER CLIMBING ITS WAY OUT OF MY MOUTH AND EXPLODING ME ALA THAT ONE MK11 FATALITY HERE)

Barudak posted:

I swear, iD, im going to get a job at you just to release your RPGs on modern systems.
It is kind of odd that those iOS apps never got recompiled for 64-bit, isn't it? I think someone got the Doom Classic source code working again without a huge amount of effort.

Only thing I can really think of is that the Id Mobile efforts were headed up by John Carmack and his wife, and given how acrimonious the split between Id and Carmack was, there's probably a lot of Zenimax internal politics in the way. Pity, because the Id Mobile games were generally pretty good, with the exception of that Doom 3 lightgun shooter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

fishmech posted:

That's the exactly the kind of thing Tom Hall wanted Commander Keen to be 30 years back.

He wanted to be a badly controlled mobile game? :P

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

november 22nd for doom: eternal

yeah you can even pick from TWO women. between that and the deathloop game by the dishonored devs starring two black people there's a lot of super goddamn mad nerd chuds out there right now if twitch chats are any clue.

The Dishonored 2 DLC had you playing a disabled gay black woman which must have been fun for all the nazi gamers out there :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I must be really simple since as long as a game looks fun to me I don't care the colour, age, sex, sexual orientation, number of tits/legs/eyes on the characters... But it seems that people out there get mad for that stuff. Like with early Battlefield V trailers showing a prostetic arm woman jumping off a window and some getting angry for that.

Jesus, relax and enjoy the games or just look for something else to play. I know it's true for all youtube comments in general but they are more toxic than ever in videogames.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Quake 2 RTX sounded like the goofiest thing even as a 2080haver but I gave it a shot and it's pretty loving awesome. I understood how raytracing/path tracing could be important but only by seeing it in motion did I really "get" it.

It's not about looking super realistic or anything, it's how the lighting and shadows is so much more natural and how you can dynamically adjust the lighting position and time of day and no matter what it always looks natural. Quake 2 at nighttime is badass and seeing reflective surfaces and accurately cast shadows without all the light sources being placed by hand is crazy.

I dare say we'll look back on it and it'll be as quaint as when dynamic lighting/coloured lighting was introduced for the first time. It's just super cool.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Holy poo poo, Commander Keen is back?! :freakout:

Holy poo poo, Commander Keen looks like a mid-high-rated Flash games from Newgrounds' heyday. :geno:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just in case anyone was still looking for the cameo

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1138056191714533377?s=09

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The spirit of Daisy guides and protects the Slayer! :black101: :swoon:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
This game better end with the Doom Slayer murdering all of hell and sitting down on a rock covered with gore and slime. He strips off his gauntless and beckons to a nearby bunny rabbit, who hops in his lap for ear scratches. Maybe he feeds it a kale leaf or something, too, whatever Daisy wants.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ugh, watched the trailer for Youngblood again and the weapons still all sound like popguns. Come one Machine Games, hire a sound guy!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lovely planet 2 exists and its coming out in 8 days https://store.steampowered.com/app/1019590/Lovely_Planet_2_April_Skies/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm so glad that I bought the first one for only two bucks because that game did absolutely nothing for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

I'm so glad that I bought the first one for only two bucks because that game did absolutely nothing for me.

the music is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzT73XKYAgA

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Ugh, watched the trailer for Youngblood again and the weapons still all sound like popguns. Come one Machine Games, hire a sound guy!

Is it just me or do all modern games have this issue? Just absolute poo poo sounding weaponry. I don't get it. We had this in the bag already. I'm playing Call of Duty 4 for this one because why not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so going back to the chaingun sound discussion from a few days ago, i had made a sndinfo file and threw it in a wad to change the firing sound to the shotgun to give it some more punch, and it works fine in gzdoom...but only in gz, it doesn't work when i load it into glboom to play demos. looking at doomwiki it looks like modifying sounds like that may only be a zdoom/derivative feature? is there any way to do the same thing using a dehacked patch so i can make it glboom compatible, or is that just a no-go?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is it just me or do all modern games have this issue? Just absolute poo poo sounding weaponry. I don't get it. We had this in the bag already. I'm playing Call of Duty 4 for this one because why not.

Nu-Doom sounds good if we're talking comparable games. And Battlefield's sound design has been amazing since at least Bad Company 2. That game and Battlefield 1 being the most cacophonous, I'd say.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is this Lovely Planet thing? Is this a Doom wad/mod?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

site posted:

so going back to the chaingun sound discussion from a few days ago, i had made a sndinfo file and threw it in a wad to change the firing sound to the shotgun to give it some more punch, and it works fine in gzdoom...but only in gz, it doesn't work when i load it into glboom to play demos. looking at doomwiki it looks like modifying sounds like that may only be a zdoom/derivative feature? is there any way to do the same thing using a dehacked patch so i can make it glboom compatible, or is that just a no-go?

Yeah you need to make a deh or Bex patch and change the chainguns associated sound in there. What you were doing before requires DECORATE type stuff so would only work in zdoom based ports.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fishmech posted:

Yeah you need to make a deh or Bex patch and change the chainguns associated sound in there. What you were doing before requires DECORATE type stuff so would only work in zdoom based ports.
From what I remember of DeHackEd you can’t alter the sound effect that the FireCGun method uses. The only way I remember of getting the chaingun to sound like a shotgun is, well, to use FireShotgun instead (which, while awesome, obviously changes gameplay a tad).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i tried to find something in whacked that would let me change the sound but couldnt, was wondering if i missed something. im very babbys first modding level

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

About the previous Halo talk, which ones are the ones with a good campaign? I only played Halo 1 years ago.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Turin Turambar posted:

About the previous Halo talk, which ones are the ones with a good campaign? I only played Halo 1 years ago.

1-3 are all at least half good I would say. ODST is pretty but kind of boring. Reach has a great ending but is mostly pretty bland. 4-5 are crap.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Reach is widely considered the best campaign of the series

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Turin Turambar posted:

1: Good and groundbreaking but high levels of repetition. Probably still the best overall just due to simplicity, gameplay focus, and place in FPS history.

2: Divisive, breaks the plot open but has lower lows than Halo 1. Weapons and balance aren't as good and there are a lot more of them. One of the most notorious crash-stop sequel bait endings in gaming, now blunted thanks to the sequel being already available.

3: Good, but assumes a higher degree of interest in the story than a lot of players have. Has one level near the end that looks like a 30 minute trip up someone's rear end in a top hat.

ODST: Very unconventional structure for an FPS- you sneak around a bombed out city dodging patrols and periodically playing separate levels where you flash back to a different member of your squad. Lovely music, though.

Reach: Second best campaign largely due to it being structured as a sort of greatest-hits collection but also including some new ideas. And yeah, killer ending.

4: New enemies aren't fun, story is suddenly based on the books so it takes a hard left into weird poo poo nobody cares about, general shift towards being a cinematic military game is a mistake.

5: Never bought an Xbox One, lol

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 10, 2019

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

david_a posted:

If you suffer from a lack of graphics jargon in your life, Digital Foundry has a new video on Quake 2 RTX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9vXz9-C-AY
This is clearly intended to be a tech demo and not a definitive version of the game. In nearly all the comparison shots I thought the classic renderer was easily the best aesthetically. It does look like you can tweak a bunch of stuff to make it look closer to how it’s supposed to, but the textures always end up looking either too flat or too showy. Occasionally there are happy accidents where the level geometry & light combinations produce something super dramatic but most of the time the effects are really subtle. The light effect from underwater flares was super cool though.

Yah this is a good video, and he does address the "it changes the look and feel" elephant in the room partway through. If I had one of the latest beast cards I would have a bit of good fun messing around with this.

(BTW GLQuake certainly changed the look of Quake back in the day, so this Q2 thing is kind of following a precedent!)

e: could do without some of the janky new weapon models though. I assume those are easy enough to bin.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
soooo, sunder got an update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

soooo, sunder got an update
Yup. Four new maps to die in.

Here's some other news that's crossed my path, I haven't done a little collation post in a hot minute...