Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Boom Boom doesn’t use various sports equipment to attack or whistling so he’s not as good as Chucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not really. Boom boom can't shoot or throw ball, or act as a stationary jumping guard

Yeah that's why I said not much point to Chargin Chuck. The other Chucks do different things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah that's why I said not much point to Chargin Chuck. The other Chucks do different things.

They are all charging chucks. They revert to charging mode after being hit

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Not really. Boom boom can't shoot or throw ball, or act as a stationary jumping guard

Not anymore he can’t. Thankfully he won his lawsuit, and that’s why chucks have better safety equipment.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

They are all charging chucks. They revert to charging mode after being hit

Not the loving dicks. You know the ones who are just loving the worst. They keep being shitheads

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Not anymore he can’t. Thankfully he won his lawsuit, and that’s why chucks have better safety equipment.

Boom Boom is just a Chuck with CTE, this is canon

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I doubt Boom Booms can smash through brick blocks like Chargin Chucks either

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's a good chance they can.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

multijoe posted:

I doubt Boom Booms can smash through brick blocks like Chargin Chucks either

It’s a missed opportunity if they can’t. I’m sure at least larger ones will be able to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

While checking out the invitational, the first round is in SMB3D World, and... wow, it actually looks pretty goddamned fun. The thing that REALLY sold me on it, though is that it looks like using the car will effectively allow people to make levels very much like classic Sonic the Hedgehog.

I am all over that.

Skip to around 32 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQh6oYH7mk

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Introducing the hot new character Chagrin Cuck, who just looks on forlornly as Mario bangs his wife

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While checking out the invitational, the first round is in SMB3D World, and... wow, it actually looks pretty goddamned fun. The thing that REALLY sold me on it, though is that it looks like using the car will effectively allow people to make levels very much like classic Sonic the Hedgehog.

I am all over that.

Skip to around 32 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQh6oYH7mk

3D World levels look really fun.

And those 2 player levels look... really fun. Dang. :)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Good news, friends.

https://twitter.com/MichaelStenberg/status/1138525538316763136

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That No Jumping stage they just showed off at the treehouse looked amazing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Did we know you could mix night and day in a course? They're showing off one now that uses pipes to switch between upside down and right side up and it's awesome

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Did we know you could mix night and day in a course? They're showing off one now that uses pipes to switch between upside down and right side up and it's awesome

I hadnt been shown until now but dang that's amazing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if you can put a moon or sun in a question block to switch mid level without going down a pipe

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1138532590384701440

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Night and Day are still basically just different themes and you could always mix themes between the main area and sub area.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There is a god

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It sounds like there's a help mode where you can place your own blocks and powerups into other people's courses while playing them. That's a cute idea.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DalaranJ posted:

It sounds like there's a help mode where you can place your own blocks and powerups into other people's courses while playing them. That's a cute idea.

Yeah it's this game's version of the Super Guide with a good twist fitting this game. I like it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

from the footage it looks like 3d world mario has his complete 3d moveset so i'm happy about that. was worried theyd take some stuff out since its 2d only

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

Interesting. I missed the stream but I'm guessing this will be something that is available when just casually browsing levels but disabled in endless mode? I'm sure people are throwing a fit that people can cheat in their precious troll levels.

Edit: Watching it now, I'm not clear on if that feature is story mode only or not.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 11, 2019

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I had a feeling this was going to happen after people started freaking out

As much as I hate DLC, it's nice that we can get games altered for the better after launch now

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm liking the look of the maker lessons. I dare say that it probably should have been used to unlock course parts this time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I'm liking the look of the maker lessons. I dare say that it probably should have been used to unlock course parts this time.

Is there more footage of them out?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m happy they listened to feedback and added online with friends. Did they show anything new on the Treehouse stream?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Where's the overworld option? :argh:

Let me chain levels together! Cmon, now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there more footage of them out?

It was in the Treehouse segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxmq3bhSuw

Skip to about the 8 minute mark. They show off some of the topics available and briefly go into one of them.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m happy they listened to feedback and added online with friends. Did they show anything new on the Treehouse stream?
Nothing much we didn't already know about apart from that assist mode thing. They do preview some story mode levels and they look great.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

J-Spot posted:

Skip to about the 8 minute mark. They show off some of the topics available and briefly go into one of them.

Specifically they show a pigeon explaining why off screen thwomps are bad

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

Specifically they show a pigeon explaining why off screen thwomps are bad

Sounds like this game is perfect then

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realize there was any Mario Maker interest on SA (never really looked or asked around for whatever reason) but I'm a huge fan of watching streamers play Mario Maker levels. My favorites to watch are CarlSagan42 and Grand POObear, but I'll also occasionally watch some Ryukhar, Juz, Barb, or a few others that run in that same circle.

I love Mario Maker the most when it's being used to create puzzles. It reminds me of The Incredible Machine or Lemmings and the level of ingenuity in the community is mindblowing. If anyone hasn't checked out any of SeanHip2's one-screen puzzle levels, do yourself a favor and either get to playing or watch CarlSagan42 (an irl scientist with a doctorate) try to puzzle through them. It's insanely entertaining, to me.

And yeah I'm obviously totally jazzed for SMM2!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

timp posted:

I didn't realize there was any Mario Maker interest on SA (never really looked or asked around for whatever reason) but I'm a huge fan of watching streamers play Mario Maker levels. My favorites to watch are CarlSagan42 and Grand POObear, but I'll also occasionally watch some Ryukhar, Juz, Barb, or a few others that run in that same circle.

I love Mario Maker the most when it's being used to create puzzles. It reminds me of The Incredible Machine or Lemmings and the level of ingenuity in the community is mindblowing. If anyone hasn't checked out any of SeanHip2's one-screen puzzle levels, do yourself a favor and either get to playing or watch CarlSagan42 (an irl scientist with a doctorate) try to puzzle through them. It's insanely entertaining, to me.

And yeah I'm obviously totally jazzed for SMM2!!

You should watch witwix, the level beater

or don't, maybe he's not your style. I like him though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watch DGR

Hate him and his stupid exaggerated reactions but my kid eats it up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I enjoyed the 136 (or 138?) video-long Game Grumps series on the original SMM, and can't wait to see what bullshittery Ross cooks up for them this time.

I love these puzzle recommendations, too. Thanks!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My girlfriend got me onto watching Carl. While i'm certain it's not unique to him, I get a real kick out of how there's terms for his play quirks ("carlbox") and how people will make levels to abuse those. I'm excited to see what people make for him in MM2.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’ve never watched Carl but I guess my one super expert course must have come up in a 100 Mario run for him once because he has the record on it. He didn’t star it so he’s dead to me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I wanted to see the Invitational Saturday night so I searched YouTube for "super Mario maker invitational" and while the original video was nowhere to be found the first forty hits were reaction videos. Every last ones' thumbnail was the Youtuber making an exaggerated baboon face in front of a screenshot.

That's when I learned that that I have aged out of popular culture and I'm honestly a bit salty up over it.

E: Carl's vids are pretty bad in this regard too but he's fun to watch at GDQ events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

carlsagan42 is great, he's a great combination of knowing a lot about the game and actually being good at it and also still being completely susceptible to falling for the dumbest tricks, also he isn't a terrible person like a lot of streamers. he puts together great levels and now romhacks of his own as well