Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hien has the line about Seiryuu's Wall being a cooler name so he's good

Also it's blowing my mind that people are saying Stormblood had bad villains when it gave us sexy thespian and fellow psychogamer Zenos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hien is charming and cute. That is all he needs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think I really disliked any of the characters in SB, although I'm on the fence about Lyse. The biggest problem just comes from the overall rushed feeling I got from the whole MSQ.

I came around with Yotsusu. While levelling I didn't like her, then I thought her surviving was dumb, but by the end I liked her character and arc.

Fordola was pretty great the whole time, if a bit underutilized in the 4.x series. Hien was good the entire time, but is probably too good. As a big FF6 fan he had an amazing introduction though.

Hancock was the NPC of the expansion though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Clarste posted:

They like/hate you because you are the sort of person who punches your fist into your palm, nods, and casually goes off to kill god(s). It's pretty clear that you're being characterized by your past actions at this point.

"I'll kill your god if I have to, probably even if I don't."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

go

pick up

the drat

rocks

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Hien has the line about Seiryuu's Wall being a cooler name so he's good

"Seiryu's Aegis" and yes I agree. Also, his buildup and introduction in the 4.0 quests was pretty great. I think people might be forgetting about all that since it's been 2 years.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I owned ARR and got HW for free, then preordered Shadowbringers since Stormblood was included...but not unlocked till the patch hits.

I just hit 60 last night and realized that all my completed and pending quests will just have to wait. Will any XP gained on that job just get shunted to the void? I guess I was meaning to level up another class anyway but I don't think I even finished HW. Quest log's gonna be reeeeeeeeeal crowded, can I safely abandon all those post-ARR primal quests that award like 1500 gil?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You'll lose any XP you would have gained if you had SB, but you make so little XP from 3.x quests than x.0 quests you're not losing out on much IMO.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Everyone likes the WoL because they're tempered.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Stormblood is better than Heavensward because it doesn’t spend 80% of its time with Fictional Catholicism: The Country.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ouhei posted:

Stormblood is better than Heavensward because it doesn’t spend 80% of its time with Fictional Catholicism: The Country.

But popedad is a cooler fight than anything in Stormblood. :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ishgard is good

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I liked how bleak Foundation was but did dislike most of the HW zones. In general I think it's disappointing how little use the zones see after you have completed the MSQ.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hobbesmaster posted:

I can’t argue against that. That fight is dope. I still think SB is better overall, even if I’m a little disappointed in some of the gear designs we got given the theme.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ouhei posted:

I can’t argue against that. That fight is dope. I still think SB is better overall, even if I’m a little disappointed in some of the gear designs we got given the theme.

The biggest injustice of SB is that we didn't get craftable/dyeable version of the Filibuster gear.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

hobbesmaster posted:

To each their own but I'd put Partydad, Snakemom, Moonmom, Omega, Kefka, Chaos Savage, Ultima, and Final Hildibrand Fight up there. Popedad rules but I really liked the encounter design and aesthetics in SB.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinryu EX is probably my favorite fight in the game

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ouhei posted:

Definitely part of it for me. Fantasy politics don't do it for me. I could have done without a dull gray city where everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

isk posted:

To each their own but I'd put Partydad, Snakemom, Moonmom, Omega, Kefka, Chaos Savage, Ultima, and Final Hildibrand Fight up there. Popedad rules but I really liked the encounter design and aesthetics in SB.

They're up there but none beat it.

Leofish posted:

The biggest injustice of SB is that we didn't get craftable/dyeable version of the Filibuster gear.

If the same pattern is followed SHB crafted leveling gear will the be the level 70 dungeon drops.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

ishgard is good

:hai:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

ImpAtom posted:

Shinryu EX is probably my favorite fight in the game

I like Shinryu ex as much as I hate Shinryu normal, which is a lot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When I first got to the phase transition in Shinryu normal (he blows up the platform and you plummet down to the next one), the server poo poo the bed and we all fell for like 2 minutes before getting mass disconnected.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When I first got to the phase transition in Shinryu normal (he blows up the platform and you plummet down to the next one), the server poo poo the bed and we all fell for like 2 minutes before getting mass disconnected.

That was his diabolical plan all along!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm level ... 42? and trying to tunnel through ARR MSQ on a non-preferred world. Doing potd and the daily routine. Here's my question: when I get to 50, can I immediately jump into Heavensward stuff, or do I have to do all the ARR level 50 only quests that came out in all those patches? I kind of want to get to 50, unlock Samurai, and go tear up Heavensward.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I'm level ... 42? and trying to tunnel through ARR MSQ on a non-preferred world. Doing potd and the daily routine. Here's my question: when I get to 50, can I immediately jump into Heavensward stuff, or do I have to do all the ARR level 50 only quests that came out in all those patches? I kind of want to get to 50, unlock Samurai, and go tear up Heavensward.

I got sour news for ya, jack

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

World War Mammories posted:

I got sour news for ya, jack

That seems real dumb, thanks. I threw up everywhere and now my tum hurts. I hate this. Thanks!
How much were those cash shop items to skip all this horseshit again? Sounding real nice.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't skip, you have zero reason to rush to cap and HW follows on directly from what you're doing now

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that it's dumb as hell and you don't get much Immersion out of perfuming chocobos and poo poo. in my secret dreams there's a cata-style expansion in the future that streamlines those doldrums, but given that the story skip potions exist, that probably won't happen. plot starts to improve when shiva is introduced, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If I own Stormblood, could I at least do that content as Sam? Or do I have to wait?

The ARR MSQ so far has been pretty serviceable, I was just hoping it gets better. Where I'm at, too, the level caps are really pushing in. It's frustrating to have to be level 41 or whatever to be worthy enough to deliver a cracked mason jar or find a letter in the woods. Then run into another big red "GO GRIND" symbol.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
My take on SB:

Death is better character development than Amnesia.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I recently went through the post-ARR 50 content, and I had initially thought about using a skip since it sounded awful but I played through it and it really wasn't all that bad. It's a lot of running around and talking to people, which isn't particularly interesting until the end, which is actually really cool and worth playing, but if you're watching something on another monitor or whatever then it's really not so bad, and doesn't take as long as you'd think.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can unlock sam as soon as you hit 50, quest is in uldah

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Firstborn posted:

If I own Stormblood, could I at least do that content as Sam? Or do I have to wait?

You can unlock Samurai as soon as you hit level 50.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks guys. Will do.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Final Fantasy xiv good

https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/1138140969331765248?s=09

Also, apparently the moogles and dragons just kinda hanging out dancing up there. l never noticed

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Emalde posted:

My take on SB:

Death is better character development than Amnesia.

Why not both.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oxyclean posted:

I wish my War could have that giant frying pan.

Knowing the devs? THEY'LL GIVE IT TO THE loving DRKS, THE BASTARDS.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

World War Mammories posted:

if it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that it's dumb as hell and you don't get much Immersion out of perfuming chocobos and poo poo. in my secret dreams there's a cata-style expansion in the future that streamlines those doldrums, but given that the story skip potions exist, that probably won't happen. plot starts to improve when shiva is introduced, though.

Perfuming Chocobos was hilarious and the best part of the pre-Shiva patches.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Regular popedad at i145 is a great pop quiz fight while still making it clear that you are here to lay a merciless beatdown on a dude who desperately needs one (at current just-hit-60 ilvl you end up skipping the best part). Popedad Ex is such an amazing fight in terms of mechanics and fanservice (that transition to Heroes as the screen shatters following Ultimate End :allears:) that a WoW dev wrote an unironic article singing it's praises.

They've still continued to improve since patch 3.1 though and there's several fights that are straight up better that have been added since then. For my money O11S is the best combination of challenge, spectacle, and fun in the game so far but it's just one of several SB fights that I'd put over Singularity Reactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
I stared a lot at zenos butte