Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Star Guarded posted:

Okay, one last cool thing, from the bball tactics guy (click here for his thoughts on all this).

Here's his development journal for bball tactics. Just to set expectations, this isn't a super professional design document done in powerpoint. It's just his scratch paper while he was working out problems, basically. Like anyone's personal notes, some of it is a bit impenetrable, but some of you might find it pretty cool like I did.

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GxNNYQhMckDvBxIQGQTBhOr_eyUvlhpS/view?usp=sharing

Notes are cool and it would be criminal NOT to release source/standalone.

quote:

It's also a solid game with a great ruleset and is very enjoyable to play. As an attempt to translate basketball pickup games into a parody of tactical RPGs, it does a really good job.
Are there sprites animation stuff attached or is it all placeholder?

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Man, I love the contrast between that notebook with pages upon pages of details, information and illustrations and poo poo, and then this gem:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Is that a place called coulombe, an npc called coulombe, Frankie Coulombe, or all of the above??

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Scarodactyl posted:

Is that a place called coulombe, an npc called coulombe, Frankie Coulombe, or all of the above??

I think it's an npc. Vancleef is also an npc so I don't know why he is circled like that when all circled items are locations.

EDIT: No, wait. If you use a microscope you can see that "warden" is also circled.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 10, 2019

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Sleeveless posted:

otherkin were never really a thing and was always just a few weird but harmless teenagers roleplaying online being signal boosted and taken very seriously by the guys who thought South Park doing an episode about how being trans and turning yourself into a dolphin were literally the same thing was The Good poo poo

it's ok to move on

I really, really don't think you experienced the same thing as everyone else did, then. Or just weren't around when it was happening. unless you're too young to have seen it then idk HOW you dodged it for what was basically a decade.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 10, 2019

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Gortarius posted:

Man, I love the contrast between that notebook with pages upon pages of details, information and illustrations and poo poo, and then this gem:

I wish I had a picture, but this reminded me of my buddies old heavy prog band that had a whiteboard for their songs progression when writing. Was basically a flowchart of "diggity chank chank doodle doodle squeee" and it was awesome

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Star Guarded posted:

Okay, one last cool thing, from the bball tactics guy (click here for his thoughts on all this).

Here's his development journal for bball tactics. Just to set expectations, this isn't a super professional design document done in powerpoint. It's just his scratch paper while he was working out problems, basically. Like anyone's personal notes, some of it is a bit impenetrable, but some of you might find it pretty cool like I did.

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GxNNYQhMckDvBxIQGQTBhOr_eyUvlhpS/view?usp=sharing

Oh man, this is amazing! The notebook is pretty awesome too. Kinda want it.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I really, really don't think you experienced the same thing as everyone else did, then. Or just weren't around when it was happening. unless you're too young to have seen it then idk HOW you dodged it for what was basically a decade.

At this point I’m pretty sure he’s a gimmick, don’t bother engaging him

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
why dont we just ask the developers themselves

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The Limited Run Games E3 Stream just used the Barkley 1 victory music and confused the hell out of me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gortarius posted:

CYBEReris posted:

more specifically, otherkin were started as a channer mockery/attack on trans people, with true believers then coming forward and taking it seriously like tends to happen with ironic stuff. that's why there are those oddly specific parallels in the first place. it was essentially an attack helicopter joke with furry flavor but it ended up resonating with some furries for whatever reason.

I know you probably mean well but this sort of thing is a really, really irresponsible form of revisionism. While attacks on furries and otherkin in the mid-2000s didn't really come from a place of enlightenment and could go too far, and while it's reasonable to assume mid-2000s college aged internet funnymen were not necessarily enlightened on trans issues, casting the very existence of otherkin and the entire discussion of such as some long con by hateful bigots essentially turns thousands of discussions of a bizarre subculture into a politically motivated attack on a real at-risk minority.

I'm not at all the type to say that "calling people nazis turns them into nazis", but if you go around telling people the jokes they made about individuals who have headmates or think they're the reincarnation of Drizzt were actually coded transphobia when they know for a fact it was not, it will only further the perception that people who advocate for responsible representation and social justice are people who invent things to be offended about and want to play victim. Additionally, there are already more than enough real, disgusting bigot dogwhistles out there without creating retroactive ones to hurt and be hurt by. I don't doubt some people use the existence of otherkin/furries and how flatly absurd they are to try to discredit the experience of trans and non-binary people, but that doesn't make them the retroactive creators of a genuine weirdo internet community.

Discussing how the Cesspool X community parallels the trans experience to a degree is a valid thing to criticize, but it's important to remember that it only reads that way because the game's story treats a group of deluded teenagers and manchildren's absurd claims of being wolves and anime characters trapped in human bodies with deadly seriousness and follows that to its logical conclusion. The Otherkin community has often appropriated the language and oppression of trans people, so of course the language is similar. Does that completely absolve the devs of the discomfort a trans person feels while playing through those segments? Not at all. But I think accusing them of "punching down" at trans people is quite a reach.

Apologies to the very big brain people in this thread who think serious posts about media themes and social issues are thought crime.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gortarius posted:

Where's Bookworld

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Siri show me a guy swearing that he totally saw protestors spitting on Vietnam vets and Muslims dancing on 9/11 even though it never happened

OK now could you make it infinitely sadder and more petty

Great, thank you for your service Siri

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I know you probably mean well but this sort of thing is a really, really irresponsible form of revisionism. While attacks on furries and otherkin in the mid-2000s didn't really come from a place of enlightenment and could go too far, and while it's reasonable to assume mid-2000s college aged internet funnymen were not necessarily enlightened on trans issues, casting the very existence of otherkin and the entire discussion of such as some long con by hateful bigots essentially turns thousands of discussions of a bizarre subculture into a politically motivated attack on a real at-risk minority.

I'm not at all the type to say that "calling people nazis turns them into nazis", but if you go around telling people the jokes they made about individuals who have headmates or think they're the reincarnation of Drizzt were actually coded transphobia when they know for a fact it was not, it will only further the perception that people who advocate for responsible representation and social justice are people who invent things to be offended about and want to play victim. Additionally, there are already more than enough real, disgusting bigot dogwhistles out there without creating retroactive ones to hurt and be hurt by. I don't doubt some people use the existence of otherkin/furries and how flatly absurd they are to try to discredit the experience of trans and non-binary people, but that doesn't make them the retroactive creators of a genuine weirdo internet community.

Discussing how the Cesspool X community parallels the trans experience to a degree is a valid thing to criticize, but it's important to remember that it only reads that way because the game's story treats a group of deluded teenagers and manchildren's absurd claims of being wolves and anime characters trapped in human bodies with deadly seriousness and follows that to its logical conclusion. The Otherkin community has often appropriated the language and oppression of trans people, so of course the language is similar. Does that completely absolve the devs of the discomfort a trans person feels while playing through those segments? Not at all. But I think accusing them of "punching down" at trans people is quite a reach.

Apologies to the very big brain people in this thread who think serious posts about media themes and social issues are thought crime.

basket . . . ball?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

yeah I've looked into it more and it's a case of conflating my own first exposure to otherkin with their origin rather than it being an appropriation of an already existing culture by bigots, mea culpa

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Some good well considered words about the intersection of transness and otherkin with respect to mockery on the internet but this post is too long so im cutting it because it'd be obnoxious to keep it all in my quote

Good post, I just want to add that one particular place where wires can be crossed with this specific topic is how jokes along the lines of "I sexually identify as an attack helicopter" lines up with jokes about otherkin, but more frequently would be used to demean and belittle trans people and their problems. Thinking you are literally the human incarnation of Sephiroth in real life is obviously not equatable to being trans, but it was true that some shitheads would conflate the two

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

spit on my clit posted:

the only jokes in barkley 1 i feel are outdated are the furry sewers and ghost dad

see, the furries should now all be pedophiles to reflect how they are irl

This is some gloriously 2008 level edge. If Sonicfox teaches us anything it is that furries are just folk, and some of those folk have amazing politics and do great at fighting games. I think the intention was probably to laugh at otherkin, but tumblr trawling has its own drawbacks.

Barkley 1 is a game of it's time. It was released with a year still to run of the Bush administration! I think it's good people have questioned the kind of ideals and jokes that were commonplace back then! My big fear is that Barkley 2 would still be a game of the time it was crowdfunded. If the design document is preserved in aspic then I know the writers aren't and they deserve to get a chance to reflect on the jokes in that game from where they are and who they are now. These were games made by very young people. Regarding the aspergers stuff it's definately not a game made from the outside of social anxiety or disorder laughing at sufferers, but we have better ideas now to give the new kids with coming up with autism spectrum disorder more pride and esteem.

JRPGs are fine, as bad as some of the plots are, they have unique and enjoyable things in good plots don't have. The Barkley battle system (which had its own jokes and powerful joke items) was really fun and reminded me a lot of FFVI, plus you were constantly being rewarded with absurdism. It's a good game though I haven't played it in way too long.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Barkley 1 holds up better than awful fantasy

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

brapbeat_hardcore posted:

This is some gloriously 2008 level edge. If Sonicfox teaches us anything it is that furries are just folk, and some of those folk have amazing politics and do great at fighting games. I think the intention was probably to laugh at otherkin, but tumblr trawling has its own drawbacks.

Barkley 1 is a game of it's time. It was released with a year still to run of the Bush administration! I think it's good people have questioned the kind of ideals and jokes that were commonplace back then! My big fear is that Barkley 2 would still be a game of the time it was crowdfunded. If the design document is preserved in aspic then I know the writers aren't and they deserve to get a chance to reflect on the jokes in that game from where they are and who they are now. These were games made by very young people. Regarding the aspergers stuff it's definately not a game made from the outside of social anxiety or disorder laughing at sufferers, but we have better ideas now to give the new kids with coming up with autism spectrum disorder more pride and esteem.

JRPGs are fine, as bad as some of the plots are, they have unique and enjoyable things in good plots don't have. The Barkley battle system (which had its own jokes and powerful joke items) was really fun and reminded me a lot of FFVI, plus you were constantly being rewarded with absurdism. It's a good game though I haven't played it in way too long.

alright ima be real this is a good troll

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Seshoho Cian posted:

Good post, I just want to add that one particular place where wires can be crossed with this specific topic is how jokes along the lines of "I sexually identify as an attack helicopter" lines up with jokes about otherkin, but more frequently would be used to demean and belittle trans people and their problems. Thinking you are literally the human incarnation of Sephiroth in real life is obviously not equatable to being trans, but it was true that some shitheads would conflate the two

shitheads get themselves involved in everything and will find any means possible to express their hangups in an acceptable way.
Like there were a lot of sexist critics of 50 shades and twilight and especially their fans. They got a lot of attention that problematic poo poo that just has a male audience would not have and some youtube guys I know have now apologized for their criticism or have tried to weakly defend the works. But Twilight was still creepy poo poo written by someone from a religion that calls women "heifers" and basically treats them as such. To me, both works are wack as hell. I never criticized their fans, either. I criticized them because they perpetuate some of the shittiest parts of heteronormative culture.
Same thing with Anti-Vaxx or "Karen". Rants on the net about those archetypes have gotten louder and louder and more unhinged and you can tell that they aren't by anyone who's concerned about kids or had to work retail, at this point the memes are just pushed by losers who want to put some woman, any woman, in their place while people cheer on. Which is why they're often combined into some weird strawwoman that no one has ever really encountered. I mean, no one really gets all that upset about Jim Carrey being anti-vax, and if you talked about aggressive male customers you'd probably get people trying to defend men in general from such a horrible slight. All that doesn't change that anti-vaxers are doing something horrible to children, and as someone who grew up in the midwest I have encountered (and was raised by) someone from that meme.

Can't throw out everyone who holds an opinion because a shithead said it too because that's how they operate, they try to make themselves look normal. It's usually in how they express that opinion or how specifically targeted it is.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can we get a mod to do a chaos dunk on this lovely thread

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If the Bark1 devs are anything like me, their first and only exposures to asperger's were sad teens on the Internet self-diagnosing themselves with the syndrome to force people to pay attention to them and excuse their flaws and antisocial behaviours. Take a time machine back there and check that stuff out. It was common to see "As someone self-diagnosed with ..." or "As someone that probably has ..." followed by whatever moaning or complaining.

In the years passing people became more socially aware and would recognize it as being a legitimate thing to not make light of, but at the time it was just another wave of lovely Internet culture. Were they untasteful? Yeah, but I think a different light was on the subject at the time.

Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Star Guarded posted:

This is beautiful and I love it, and it validates my note taking style to some extent. Some small extent.

I appreciate the effort it took to scan it, and the efforts of everyone who shares systems/mechanics (gun's, elements, etc.). I'm not a Game Development person, but I enjoy your posts. :)

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Also, shut up. Christ.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

spit on my clit posted:

can we get a mod to do a chaos dunk on this lovely thread

There is a recent GIT push that says "(demo) first stable KS build" so just hang on for a little longer and the topic will change from strange otherkin wars into bashing barkley2 and how bad it is.

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

spit on my clit posted:

alright ima be real this is a good troll

These are my sincere thoughts. The fact I am trolling user "spit on my clit" with my true beliefs and understanding of the last 11 years and our role in it is merely testament to the molecule-fine edge of my posting blade

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gortarius posted:

There is a recent GIT push that says "(demo) first stable KS build" so just hang on for a little longer and the topic will change from strange otherkin wars into bashing barkley2 and how bad it is.

yes....YES....barkley 2 israel

These are my sincere thoughts. The fact I am trolling user "spit on my clit" with my true beliefs and understanding of the last 11 years and our role in it is merely testament to the molecule-fine edge of my posting blade

ok brapbeat hardcore

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah protip let's not drag usernames through the mud, that tends to end badly for most parties

unless a mod wanders in and has Ideas, then it's hilarious

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If the Bark1 devs are anything like me, their first and only exposures to asperger's were sad teens on the Internet self-diagnosing themselves with the syndrome to force people to pay attention to them and excuse their flaws and antisocial behaviours. Take a time machine back there and check that stuff out. It was common to see "As someone self-diagnosed with ..." or "As someone that probably has ..." followed by whatever moaning or complaining.

In the years passing people became more socially aware and would recognize it as being a legitimate thing to not make light of, but at the time it was just another wave of lovely Internet culture. Were they untasteful? Yeah, but I think a different light was on the subject at the time.

Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat.

It's actually really, really difficult to get a proper diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorder after a certain age, particuarly if other illness or disability had been the focus during childhood. It takes years in the UK to get assessed, if you even realise something's wrong. I wouldn't be too hard on people who self diagnose because they have probably realised something's very, very wrong.

I don't really want to say if anyone on the B1 team was neurotypical or not because I honestly don't know! It's a lovely joke but a lot of people make lovely autism jokes in 2019. I don't think any of those people are B1 devs

Edit: not making fun of SOMC's username, just their post and general lack of awareness with current events and such

Edit 2:

Gortarius posted:

I don't really want to go on about the game being possible to complete because I don't think that's likely to happen, but what if it suddenly flipped to a Radical Dreamers/Xenogears style text thing once all the playable content ends? And if rights were sold on to another developer just to put it to rest, would that make it an interesting product? Speaking hypothetically because I can't see that happening

brapbeat_hardcore fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 10, 2019

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
The actual problematic element of Barkley 1 is that all the save pump posts were making fun of people on the autism spectrum

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edit: not making fun of SOMC's username, just their post and general lack of awareness with current events and such

how do current events tie in with a dated game from eleven years ago

also,

Hemingway To Go! posted:

But Twilight was still creepy poo poo written by someone from a religion that calls women "heifers" and basically treats them as such.

oh yeah the Mormons, the most misogynistic religion there is. :rolleyes:

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

spit on my clit posted:

how do current events tie in with a dated game from eleven years ago

also,

oh yeah the Mormons, the most misogynistic religion there is. :rolleyes:

Look I'm not trying to be mean here but you don't know who Richard Spencer is and apparently don't believe in Google

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Look I'm not trying to be mean here but you don't know who Richard Spencer is and apparently don't believe in Google

i don't use twitter how would i know about those kinds of people? what, you want me to google "current nazis in our day and age"? "guy who got punched" brings up a million different results.

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

spit on my clit posted:

i don't use twitter how would i know about those kinds of people? what, you want me to google "current nazis in our day and age"? "guy who got punched" brings up a million different results.

Richard Spencer is in the news all the time. I can't really help you if you don't use google and google "Richard Spencer Nazi". This seems like an odd thing to want to argue about, you objectively aren't aware of the political context most of the people in this thread are discussing but still want to chime in. Either be fragile about that or idk, take some time to learn about it then post?

I don't know if Chef is still reading this thread but I hope Devolver eventually put together the perfect game about stylish RPG murder and Italo Disco and have you write it. An underrated quality is how good the ToG institutional knowledge of obscure dance music and subgenres was because of Chef. I realise what I just described sounds a lot like Hotline Miami RPG, which, yes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Richard Spencer is in the news all the time. I can't really help you if you don't use google and google "Richard Spencer Nazi". This seems like an odd thing to want to argue about, you objectively aren't aware of the political context most of the people in this thread are discussing but still want to chime in. Either be fragile about that or idk, take some time to learn about it then post?

I don't know if Chef is still reading this thread but I hope Devolver eventually put together the perfect game about stylish RPG murder and Italo Disco and have you write it. An underrated quality is how good the ToG institutional knowledge of obscure dance music and subgenres was because of Chef. I realise what I just described sounds a lot like Hotline Miami RPG, which, yes

why would i want to learn about nazis. i want to loving post about slamming and jamming. you are why brexit exists now at ihop for a limited time

this isn't gaming. real gaming is enjoying the b-balls and sucking literal balls. i want to suck nuts and you are keeping me from that. gaymers must rise up against our political oppressors who don't want us to express ourselves sexually and gamically. its pride month bitch

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 10, 2019

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What the gently caress with this discussion? Come on people.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think this is like how vampires make other people vampires but instead of getting to fly and drink the sweet ruby wine they just get depressed/insane

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i believe brapbeat_hardcore is like a dog and they just do things arbitrarily

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Glancing at the notes, it looks like bball tactics has some elements similar to blood bowl, even if it's main inspiration is FFT. Looks pretty cool.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I want to play Tactics Ballre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

spit on my clit posted:

why would i want to learn about nazis. i want to loving post about slamming and jamming.

This is the best single line descriptor of neoliberalism I've ever seen

quote:

you are why brexit exists now at ihop for a limited time

I don't know what this means

quote:

this isn't gaming. real gaming is enjoying the b-balls and sucking literal balls. i want to suck nuts and you are keeping me from that. gaymers must rise up against our political oppressors who don't want us to express ourselves sexually and gamically. its pride month bitch

And yet for you it is still apparently meltdown may. You have made your choice between "FRAGILITY" and "GOOGLE". If you can't suck nuts at the same time as replying to my posts you clearly aren't a true gamer anyway