Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.spritesanddice.com/2017/09/review-neofeud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQAMJgs5euA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/WIRED/status/1137554885765980160

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So they're just polarized sunglasses? :confused:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
MARRY AND REPRODUCE

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

So they're just polarizing sunglasses? :confused:

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

They Live feeling strong with this one

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The guy mentioned THEY LIVE as inspiration. Honestly I could go for a pair if they weren't super expensive.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

yes, and also they are inspired by they live, and also its a dumb art project social experiment.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
yeah I could do with a pair of those

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ooooooo! Thank the maker!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pirate Radar posted:

yeah I could do with a pair of those

Real-life adblocker. I could certainly use that.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

Real-life adblocker. I could certainly use that.
Same, but for my phone (my phone and carrier don't allow me to block numbers).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
they're like $50, and like it was mentioned earlier... they're just polarized sunglasses; it's a dumb and cynical marketing ploy

brb creating a cool video for my dihydrogen monoxide kickstarter

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

KozmoNaut posted:

A friend of mine owned a fancy sports car for a while. He had to take off his fancy polarized sunglasses (or tilt his head 90 degrees) to see the fancy LCD display for the radio.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
Turns out one of the major reasons for sinking the Iran deal was complete and total bullshit. What a shock! :jerkbag:

https://theintercept.com/2019/06/09/heshmat-alavi-fake-iran-mek/

The details are pretty interesting though, the misinfo originated from the MEK creating a fake activist persona and using it to run propaganda in (primarily right wing) western outlets as part of a broader campaign:

quote:

Although Alavi has published articles about Iran in a number of predominantly right-leaning publications, by far the most frequent publisher of his articles is Forbes. In a span of a year, between April 2017 and April 2018, Alavi published a staggering 61 articles for the Forbes website.

A Twitter account created under Alavi’s name in 2014 boasts over 30,000 followers, including a number of journalists and D.C.-based conservative think tank employees. The account frequently shares articles and hashtags praising Rajavi and shares footage of protests and events held by the MEK.

Alavi seems to have gained some purchase in right-wing circles in Washington. In addition to his many articles published by Forbes and other sites, Alavi also appears to run a blog called “Iran Commentary,” which describes its mission as focusing on “issues related to Iran and the Middle East.” One of its reports was recently cited as a source in an article from the Washington Free Beacon, a neoconservative site that takes an ultra-hawkish view on Iran.

The body of work published under Alavi’s name takes a consistently hawkish line toward the Iranian government and President Hassan Rouhani. Alavi’s articles also mixed criticisms of Iran and U.S. policy with overt advocacy for the MEK. His pieces in the Daily Caller, The Hill, and other outlets — though less numerous than his contributions to Forbes — employed a similar mix of advocacy against the Iranian regime and praise for the MEK. Though the MEK is known to be widely loathed among Iranians, Alavi described the group as the “main Iranian opposition group” in a 2017 Daily Caller article.

The Diplomat, a foreign policy website that published a handful of Alavi’s pieces in 2017, said that Alavi sent drafts from a Gmail account. Alavi pitched the outlet dozens of articles, though only a small number were accepted. The Diplomat stopped accepting pitches from Alavi after determining that his articles were not meeting publication standards, said a source who asked for anonymity to discuss internal matters.

The Daily Caller also told The Intercept that the outlet stopped publishing Alavi’s articles over concerns about the quality of his submissions. The Hill, al-Arabiya English, and The Federalist did not respond to requests for comment.

Some more highlights:

quote:

The MEK initially sided with the Islamic Revolution but fell out of favor shortly after the establishment of the clerical-led Islamic Republic. The subsequent crackdown forced the group into exile, operating between France and Iraq — where, thanks to Saddam Hussein’s largesse, the group occupied Camp Ashraf, used as a staging ground for its participation on Iraq’s side of the brutal Iran-Iraq War.

The years following the U.S.’s invasion of Iraq were harrowing for the MEK, complicated by the terrorist listing. As the Americans withdrew their military forces, they handed over security at the MEK’s Iraqi base to the Iraqi government; another round of violent crackdowns ensued. The 2012 deal to remove the MEK from the U.S. terror list facilitated the movement of thousands of MEK members from Iraq to Albania, where the group would be housed in a new secretive compound.

quote:

The Intercept reached out to editors at the outlets that Alavi has published articles with over the past several years. None of these outlets were able to confirm that they ever spoke with or met Alavi. He was not paid for his writing at Forbes, the Daily Caller, or the Diplomat, according to spokespeople for those publications.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Literally impossible.

Garden-variety LCDs emit a wide spectrum of light.

A filter that successfully blocks light from screens is known as a “blindfold”.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Platystemon posted:

Literally impossible.

Garden-variety LCDs emit a wide spectrum of light.

A filter that successfully blocks light from screens is known as a “blindfold”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(waves)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes blocking all the wavelengths of light from an LCD screen would leave you effectively blindfolded but as mentioned elsewhere if every screen is polarised the same way then glasses polarised at 90° to that will block them.

I goes not every screen is polarised the same direction.

E: beaten.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I mean whatever, sometimes being blind is fine. they could work like the anti-anxiety sunglasses in Hitchhiker’s Guide that automatically sensed danger and turned opaque so you wouldn’t worry

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man has to read out loud all the boner pill pop ups he sees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Waking down the street wearing they live glasses on my dazzle camouflaged face while an AI babbles nonsense into my phone to screw with big data

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Splicer posted:

Waking down the street wearing they live glasses on my dazzle camouflaged face while an AI babbles nonsense into my phone to screw with big data

Microsoft Sam loudly reading cumshitter posts and that razr meltdown from yospos

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I mean whatever, sometimes being blind is fine. they could work like the anti-anxiety sunglasses in Hitchhiker’s Guide that automatically sensed danger and turned opaque so you wouldn’t worry

That's still a blindfold.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Phone posted:

they're like $50, and like it was mentioned earlier... they're just polarized sunglasses; it's a dumb and cynical marketing ploy

brb creating a cool video for my dihydrogen monoxide kickstarter

To be fair, it's polarised sunglasses with the polarisation at 90 degrees to the usual orientation, which would require custom manufacturing. Still got a hefty margin on them but a fuckload less than a pair of Oakleys :shrug:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

just get those glasses that fool face recognition into thinking you're scarlett johanssen or whatever

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The Scarlett Johannsen masquerade mask is sold out everywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

I goes not every screen is polarised the same direction.

Put two orthogonal filters in series to cover all the bases.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this doesnt make any sense

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Peanut President posted:

just get those glasses that fool face recognition into thinking you're scarlett johanssen or whatever
Slap a babbler in there somewhere and I'm sold!

e: cloud you make the frames LCDs so it changes who I am every few minutes?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
hell yeah the future keeps getting more and more absurd

Picnic Princess posted:

And we are altering weather, except it isn't the government or illuminati, it's insurance companies trying to prevent huge payouts due to hail damage.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Splicer posted:

Slap a babbler in there somewhere and I'm sold!

e: cloud you make the frames LCDs so it changes who I am every few minutes?

At this point, we're basically in A Scanner Darkly.

Also, at this point, I welcome my brain melting from the Substance D. Beats reality.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
You embed IR leds into your glasses frames, which defeats facial recognition, but also doesn't make you immediately stand out to non-algorithm based authorities.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hellworld

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
she violated the NAP by snitching

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bushiz posted:

You embed IR leds into your glasses frames, which defeats facial recognition, but also doesn't make you immediately stand out to non-algorithm based authorities.

Are these actually sold?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Was that on a series of Luther? The serial killer used it to evade CCTV

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

net work error posted:

Are these actually sold?

oh very much so https://www.reflectacles.com/#home

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Amphigory posted:

Was that on a series of Luther? The serial killer used it to evade CCTV

Yeah the last one.

You can make them yourself pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah the last one.

You can make them yourself pretty easily.

Please tell me more friend