Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zereth posted:

I've done attacks which did no damage, but rolled an instant kill crit in Fallout 1 and/or 2.

That was the whole conceit of a Fallout 2 LP someone did in Let's Play ages ago. They played as a complete gormless ogre with 1 Luck and exploited all kinds of goofy edge cases to reach 10 in basically every stat, then ran around bare-assed naked and unarmed tanking plasma guns with their face and scoring critical punches that essentially vaporized fully armoured Enclave troopers. IIRC they beat that Horrigan guy, the endboss, by throwing a rock they picked up at the very beginning and scoring an instant-kill critical to the eyes.

I wish I could remember the name of that LP. I want to say the main character's name was Tor or Gor or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I used to model, rig, and animate stuff. Made a humanoid with walk, run, jump, climb, crouch, turn, and turn-while-crouching animations. This involved an awful lot of very slowly acting out animations in my apartment so I could track where my body parts were and translate them into poses.

Animation is not something you do if you want to maintain a charade that you're a dignified person.

i like to imagine leonaro da vinci doin this exact thing in a room covered in quills and sheets of parchment

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I wish I could remember the name of that LP. I want to say the main character's name was Tor or Gor or something.
Trogg?

https://lparchive.org/Fallout-2/Update%201/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

That was the whole conceit of a Fallout 2 LP someone did in Let's Play ages ago. They played as a complete gormless ogre with 1 Luck and exploited all kinds of goofy edge cases to reach 10 in basically every stat, then ran around bare-assed naked and unarmed tanking plasma guns with their face and scoring critical punches that essentially vaporized fully armoured Enclave troopers. IIRC they beat that Horrigan guy, the endboss, by throwing a rock they picked up at the very beginning and scoring an instant-kill critical to the eyes.

It was 1 Int, not luck.

Also there's a whole two Fallout 2 LPs on the archive, it didn't take me long to

Yeah. Okay I guess it was 3 int. But for a Jinxed Punchman you want HIGH luck.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's not a glitch but rocking 1 int and screaming ICE CREAM! to get into the executive suites of some building owned

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I forgot LPArchive was a thing! There goes my whole evening.

As far as luck, I believe he used some weird feature of the Hubologist cult induction to set it to 10. Really that whole playthrough is just crazy as hell.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
One of the neatest things about the early Fallout games to me (and its spiritual derivative Arcanum) was that they actually had an entire second set of dialogue for low-intelligence characters, sometimes just rewording, but more often actually quite substantially different with different outcomes. That's a degree of dedication to writing your game that you don't see a lot these days, although I suppose the fixation on having everything voice-acted would make that harder.

In Arcanum, there was even a not-quite-glitch where you could get stinking dead drunk and lower your int past the treshold for idiot dialogue. I got some real laughs out of reading my own journal entries again through the drunk filter. I recommend it to anyone who liked that game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

I forgot LPArchive was a thing! There goes my whole evening.

As far as luck, I believe he used some weird feature of the Hubologist cult induction to set it to 10. Really that whole playthrough is just crazy as hell.
There's, I believe, two things which can increase your luck in the game, and he hit both of them. One or both of them are RNG based, so you've got save/reload until it works, but hey.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

:lol: oh god, browsing LPArchive reminded me of my old, unfinished glitchy exploit run of the legendarily sadistic roguelike IVAN, and lo and behold, the roguelike megathread I posted it in is still up somehow.

It lasted four updates before I got busy at work and subsequently lost the saves, and got some great :stare: reactions from the other folks in the megathread. Might be worth a read if you're into that sort of thing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

moist turtleneck posted:

It's not a glitch but rocking 1 int and screaming ICE CREAM! to get into the executive suites of some building owned

That's how you get into the third floor of the REPCONN Headquarters in New Vegas.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Really, more games should take the Goldeneye approach to property destruction. Everything explodes. Even filing cabinets and desk chairs.

I did that to Deus Ex when they released the creator toolkit.

I made everything explosive that it was possible to make explosive - which, as it turns out, was pretty much everything. Chairs, guns (being held by the AI), scraps of paper, birds, most scenery objects, even cactus.

Totally ruined the gameplay because any encounter with enemies turned into 20 seconds of the entire world exploding in massive chain reactions, but by god it was fun.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I did that to Deus Ex when they released the creator toolkit.

I made everything explosive that it was possible to make explosive - which, as it turns out, was pretty much everything. Chairs, guns (being held by the AI), scraps of paper, birds, most scenery objects, even cactus.

Totally ruined the gameplay because any encounter with enemies turned into 20 seconds of the entire world exploding in massive chain reactions, but by god it was fun.

Oh my God, JC, a bomb!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Don Gato posted:

Oh my God, JC, a bomb!

Please.. You can't just say everything is a bomb.. *is handed note* wait what?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Totally ruined the gameplay

What a shame.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Cardiovorax posted:

One of the neatest things about the early Fallout games to me (and its spiritual derivative Arcanum) was that they actually had an entire second set of dialogue for low-intelligence characters, sometimes just rewording, but more often actually quite substantially different with different outcomes. That's a degree of dedication to writing your game that you don't see a lot these days, although I suppose the fixation on having everything voice-acted would make that harder.

In Arcanum, there was even a not-quite-glitch where you could get stinking dead drunk and lower your int past the treshold for idiot dialogue. I got some real laughs out of reading my own journal entries again through the drunk filter. I recommend it to anyone who liked that game.

Another funny little thing if you play a low int character... If you talk to another low int. npc in the game, instead of "uggh hungry" "you me hungry?" dialogue choices, you get (implied) perfect oxford english spoken between the two characters..."uuggh ooh" translates to "Why yes my good sir, I must concede I am quite famished! Shall we parlay together for some afternoon tea?".

Little funny touches like that made for some excellent replayability.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

My favourite thing about arcanum was a very specific interaction you could get right at the start of the game. If you've never played it: the first person you talk to in the game is a guy named Virgil. He's a devout follower of a religion and believes that you are the prophesied reincarnation of the messiah, an elven sorcerer who lived thousands of years ago. Normally, he's very deferential and respectful while trying to explain to you that you are the chosen one. If you play a character with rock-bottom intelligence, he tries to explain it very slowly and simply before getting frustrated and starting to just shout "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE, YOU ARE A POWERFUL WIZARD, COME WITH ME".

but the best version is if you start as a half-ogre, who have a huge intelligence penalty, but then max out your int in order to get over the stupid dialogue threshold. He starts out with the idiot dialogue, where he mutters under his breath about your reincarnation being defective and then trying to explain it to you using small words, at which point you interrupt him to ask him why he's talking like that and he gets incredibly flustered about the fact that he's basically just called his own god an idiot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Since we're talking about Deus Ex, I'm gonna repost this thing y'all probably didn't know about.

https://youtu.be/Hx5LjI0inTc

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

but the best version is if you start as a half-ogre, who have a huge intelligence penalty, but then max out your int in order to get over the stupid dialogue threshold. He starts out with the idiot dialogue, where he mutters under his breath about your reincarnation being defective and then trying to explain it to you using small words, at which point you interrupt him to ask him why he's talking like that and he gets incredibly flustered about the fact that he's basically just called his own god an idiot.
That's amazing, I never even knew that. :allears:

Arcanum was such a wonderful game. I spent a hundred hours playing it, back in the day, and I know for a fact that I still haven't seen everything it has to offer. It's one of those games where you can just tell from beginning to end that it was made by people who loved what they were doing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Arcanum has the supremely offensive anti-semitic questline that's so over-the-top about 'all the Jewish conspiracies are true!' that I don't understand how that ever got a pass. But it's not a glitch and certainly not funny.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Arcanum has the supremely offensive anti-semitic questline that's so over-the-top about 'all the Jewish conspiracies are true!' that I don't understand how that ever got a pass. But it's not a glitch and certainly not funny.

What the gently caress?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Do you have a source on this? It's been decades since I've played it and have no recollection of this at all.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Read on the Arcanum Gnome conspiracy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I never made the connection, but now that you say it, that's, uh, unpleasantly obvious. Evil race of bankers and industrialists who have an active conspiracy to make everyone else stupid? That's... yeah. Probably not intended to be a Jew stand-in, because I don't want to accuse Troika of that degree of bigotry without some kind of proof, but it could in all honestly be something out of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Dunno how they missed that.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Read on the Arcanum Gnome conspiracy.

Holy poo poo, how did I not remember something like that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I wanna believe it was supposed to be a parody of those conspiracies but accidentally got too involved for its own good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's spectacularly tasteless no matter what. Ogre Island is one of those places I never went to and oh my God, that is so much worse than I ever thought it would be. I'm glad now that I never did, I think my ten year old self might have started to barf.

I stand to my opinion about the rest of the game and I'll keep recommending it, but wow, that's pretty bad.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Gnome Conspiracy questline is also unfinished iirc, but yeah it's... pretty bad. I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it wasn't specifically intended to be antisemitic, if only because the game was made before the goddamn Nazis felt brave enough to walk around in broad daylight.

Really the whole concept of gnomes (and goblins) is often heavily bound up in antisemitic tropes, so it's very possible that what sounded like a great idea for a questline on paper turned out to be maybe not a great idea simply because the source material is incredibly fraught.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I hope so, it is $1.49 on gog and I purchased it before learning about gnomes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I played the game for a hundred hours and never even stumbled over whatever particular quest reveals this, so I think you'll get your money's worth. It's honestly a good game.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

the game was made before the goddamn Nazis felt brave enough to walk around in broad daylight.

Wow I didn't know Arcanum came out in the 1920s.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The gnome conspiracy thing is a bit weird, yes. I can't exactly say how bad it is, because it's very clearly not finished(deliberately or otherwise). Gnomes(who represent a disproportionate amount of Tarant's industrial elite) can be interpreted as being meant to represent Jews, but I don't know that that was actually intended or not, and I wouldn't say it's blatant enough for it to be 100%. The half-ogre conspiracy quest has a build-up which might suggest that it's heading in the direction of "the gnomes are trying to replace everyone with half-ogres because they think they represent the ideal industrial worker", but there's no resolution to it. You find the facility where they've done medical experiments to try and produce half-ogres, it's abandoned, you read a couple of journals and then that's it. When you go back to the guy who gave you the quest, he's gone. Exactly what's going on or who exactly is involved is never explained.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think it's like how the muppet show had a Rastafarian baboon: they did something racist, even though it's easy to believe they weren't trying to say something racist.

It's bad, and does not need defending...but it does remind me of South Park's much worse "joke" of saying ":grin: haha yeah I hate Jews" over and over again

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

The gnome conspiracy thing is a bit weird, yes. I can't exactly say how bad it is, because it's very clearly not finished(deliberately or otherwise). Gnomes(who represent a disproportionate amount of Tarant's industrial elite) can be interpreted as being meant to represent Jews, but I don't know that that was actually intended or not, and I wouldn't say it's blatant enough for it to be 100%. The half-ogre conspiracy quest has a build-up which might suggest that it's heading in the direction of "the gnomes are trying to replace everyone with half-ogres because they think they represent the ideal industrial worker", but there's no resolution to it. You find the facility where they've done medical experiments to try and produce half-ogres, it's abandoned, you read a couple of journals and then that's it. When you go back to the guy who gave you the quest, he's gone. Exactly what's going on or who exactly is involved is never explained.

It seems like one person wrote that quest and knew exactly what was up and everyone else was naive. I mean it's only been a few years since I found out that white supremacists literally thought that all jews were conspiring to eliminate all white people through breeding. All of the more blatant antisemitism was on the back burner before Trump ran for president. It really is word for word the exact white supremacist conspiracy with ogre and gnome replacing black and jew

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what if it was a high elf psyop to sow discord tho

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rodbeard posted:

It seems like one person wrote that quest and knew exactly what was up and everyone else was naive.
Honestly, I find this pretty likely. The entire thing is majorly out of tune with the tone of the rest of the game, which has its dark moments, but doesn't ever go that kind of places.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It feels like the author wanted to make X-Files/Deus Ex style "what if this crazy conspiracy was actually true?" story, but didn't stop to consider that (1) picking an extremely racist conspiracy is not a good idea and (2) using fantasy races as a paper thin disguise doesn't make it any less racist.

e. Or just didn't care, since it's not like gaming press was going to rise an issue back then.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Jun 13, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Unless it's elves, because everyone hates elves anyway.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Unless it's elves, because everyone hates elves anyway.

:siren: DWARF SPOTTED :siren:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And proud of it! Bitch, my beard is glorious.

VV You're just jealous that you can't grow a proper beard.

Cardiovorax has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Shocking that goons identify with the short, fat alcoholics who live in the basement and shun the light over the personable and attractive people who enjoy the outdoors.