Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Note to Self: Buy a Vortex

EDIT: Aaaaand bought a Vortex

Re: Braggo’s first smoker

Colostomy Bag posted:

For more versatility, Chargriller Akorn for cheapy egg cooking with charcoal. 10% off coupon can be had for $270 or so and it is also basically fire and forget when you have the vents placed right.

This would be my recommendation. You get the best of both cooking with charcoal and set-and-forget, plus it doesn’t cost a ton. Kamado grills are amazing.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

You get the best of both cooking with charcoal and set-and-forget, plus it doesn’t cost a ton. Kamado grills are amazing.

Dumb question here, but what makes a Kamado grill "set-and-forget" versus a Weber kettle? Are the vent placements/settings that drastically different?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dango Bango posted:

Dumb question here, but what makes a Kamado grill "set-and-forget" versus a Weber kettle? Are the vent placements/settings that drastically different?

They burn charcoal super duper efficiently, to the point that once you have the vents dialed in, you can cook on them for more than 24 hours on a single load of charcoal and STILL have useable charcoal left over afterward.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Went oout to costco today, looking for brisket.

All they had were 20+lbs.

Out of curiosity, how long would a 20lb brisket take (knowing that you cook to temp and not time)?

Becasue they had brisket there for ~$5 /lb

:australia:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Probably want to cut that brisket in half unless you have a giant smoker and know WTF you are doing. I've done brisket twice and both times I feel like it went too long/dried out - much less forgiving than pork butt. I would have felt horrible if I had done 20lbs both times.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Most of the packers I've bought from costco have a good 2-3 lbs of fat that can be trimmed off. Sucks paying that money for stuff you're immediately throwing in the trash. That said, figure 1.5-2 hours per pound. Mine is usually on the high side of that (I always keep water pan topped up, 225-250 deg, no foil/wrap usually), so it would take for-goddamn-ever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suburban Dad posted:

That said, figure 1.5-2 hours between eight seconds and nine days per pound.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ok, that had me laughing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can always store it for a few hours and it'll stay warm and tasty.. you can't cook it faster.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a product rec. Big Green Egg used to make these flexible spot lights you could mount on your grill by wrapping it around the handle so you could see what you were doing while cooking in the dark. They don’t appear to sell them anymore, but I know they exist elsewhere.

What the gently caress do you call these flex-y lights? I don’t know what to type in the search engine.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
"grill flex light" brought up a bunch of options for me on Google. Never used one, so can't give you any advice though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I. M. Gei posted:

They burn charcoal super duper efficiently, to the point that once you have the vents dialed in, you can cook on them for more than 24 hours on a single load of charcoal and STILL have useable charcoal left over afterward.

Super-duper efficiency is an understatement. The only time it left me stranded was when I was smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving and it was basically 10F out. Part of that was hubris..."eh, I'll toss this amount of charcoal in so as not to waste." It ran out of fuel trying to keep up with the ambient temps. And that is basically the big downside...not easy to add fuel. Doable of course, but not fun for obvious reasons.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Suburban Dad posted:

Most of the packers I've bought from costco have a good 2-3 lbs of fat that can be trimmed off. Sucks paying that money for stuff you're immediately throwing in the trash. That said, figure 1.5-2 hours per pound. Mine is usually on the high side of that (I always keep water pan topped up, 225-250 deg, no foil/wrap usually), so it would take for-goddamn-ever.

Spudalicious posted:

Probably want to cut that brisket in half unless you have a giant smoker and know WTF you are doing. I've done brisket twice and both times I feel like it went too long/dried out - much less forgiving than pork butt. I would have felt horrible if I had done 20lbs both times.

Cheers guys

I was curious because the only other briskets I've seen are tiny in comparison - like 2lbs, not this 3" 20lb long monstrosity of a brisket.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In other news, I have two 5 lb pork bellies. One will become bacon, the other will become burnt ends.

Does anyone have any burnt ends recipes they like that I can try?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

X13Fen posted:

Cheers guys

I was curious because the only other briskets I've seen are tiny in comparison - like 2lbs, not this 3" 20lb long monstrosity of a brisket.

Those 2lb briskets you're seeing are probably just the flat that has been cut into chunks. Flats are usually about 6-8 pounds, approximately 1 to 2 inches thick, 8 by 12 inches wide.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

X13Fen posted:

Cheers guys

Separate the point from the flat. It will cook faster and you get twice as much delicious bark.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was thinking about getting a dedicated smoker, but I've already got two grills and am running out of space. Thoughts on getting a pellet grill to to cover all duties? They seem to have the convenience of a gas grill, and the flavors of wood/charcoal. I don't enjoy all of the maintenance for long term smoking in the Weber kettle, but I do enjoy the hyper heat to sear things, which I understand a lot of pellet grills can't do well? Traeger seems to be the name brand, but I'm reading they have a lot of quality issues. I was looking at the Louisiana grill at Costco, or the slightly lower priced Pit Boss Pro at Lowes.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What’s the current hotness for wireless meat thermometers? I need to get one as a Father’s Day gift. Not sure if it matters, but my dad usually uses a Weber gas grill, but occasionally uses a regular kettle grill.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Orvin posted:

What’s the current hotness for wireless meat thermometers? I need to get one as a Father’s Day gift. Not sure if it matters, but my dad usually uses a Weber gas grill, but occasionally uses a regular kettle grill.

Really loving like my Fireboard. God drat it's good

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

FogHelmut posted:

I was thinking about getting a dedicated smoker, but I've already got two grills and am running out of space. Thoughts on getting a pellet grill to to cover all duties? They seem to have the convenience of a gas grill, and the flavors of wood/charcoal. I don't enjoy all of the maintenance for long term smoking in the Weber kettle, but I do enjoy the hyper heat to sear things, which I understand a lot of pellet grills can't do well? Traeger seems to be the name brand, but I'm reading they have a lot of quality issues. I was looking at the Louisiana grill at Costco, or the slightly lower priced Pit Boss Pro at Lowes.

I recently got a pit boss at Lowes and have been happy with it. Only used to smoke 3-2-1 ribs and a couple pounds of jerky; and grill chicken, pork and steaks so far. Seems to keep temperature pretty steady and the smoke setting on it definitely produces smoke. Trying to do a pork butt and/or a brisket next weekend which I guess is the first real test.

From what I understand the Louisiana and the Pit Boss are from the same manufacturer, just different product lines.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I recently got a pit boss at Lowes and have been happy with it. Only used to smoke 3-2-1 ribs and a couple pounds of jerky; and grill chicken, pork and steaks so far. Seems to keep temperature pretty steady and the smoke setting on it definitely produces smoke. Trying to do a pork butt and/or a brisket next weekend which I guess is the first real test.

From what I understand the Louisiana and the Pit Boss are from the same manufacturer, just different product lines.

I think the Louisiana are a little higher end? The one at Costco is only $100 more, similar size to the Lowe's Pit Boss, and comes with a cover. The Louisiana also has a temperature range of 170 to 600, where the Pit Boss is 180 to 500 I believe.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

FogHelmut posted:

I think the Louisiana are a little higher end? The one at Costco is only $100 more, similar size to the Lowe's Pit Boss, and comes with a cover. The Louisiana also has a temperature range of 170 to 600, where the Pit Boss is 180 to 500 I believe.

They are supposed to be. If it comes with a cover for only $100 more it's likely worth it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drat, 600° on an electric grill? I need to get me a Louisiana smoker next time I’m living in an apartment.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Between now and Sunday, I’m doing:

- Pork belly burnt ends tomorrow
- Carne asada fajita tacos on Friday or Saturday
- Bacon on Saturday night/Sunday morning
- Tomahawk ribeyes on Sunday for Father’s Day

gonna be fun :getin:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Had a baby shower on Sunday. It was a hell of a baby shower. I smoked a brisket, two pork butts, 10 pounds of burgs and plenty of hots.

I only got this picture of the brisket unfortunately. It was immediately gobbled up and the pulled pork was ravaged. Two 8 pound butts, only 2 pounds of left overs.

We also had a 1/6 keg of Brooklyn Summer and 1/4 of Founders All day. And there were no stupid baby games or baby reveals. It was a good shower.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

atothesquiz posted:

Had a baby shower on Sunday. It was a hell of a baby shower. I smoked a brisket, two pork butts, 10 pounds of burgs and plenty of hots.

I only got this picture of the brisket unfortunately. It was immediately gobbled up and the pulled pork was ravaged. Two 8 pound butts, only 2 pounds of left overs.

We also had a 1/6 keg of Brooklyn Summer and 1/4 of Founders All day. And there were no stupid baby games or baby reveals. It was a good shower.

That sounds amazing. I recently gave up my big rusted out propane grill in favor of a 22" weber kettle and a weber Q100 mini propane grill, but I'm going to miss the big grill once or twice a year when I need to throw on 20 burgers at a time. Yes, I could try to find a 26" kettle but they're rare and pricey as hell on this side of the border.

Side note about using a weber kettle, I have substantially less arm hair on my right arm now. When you hang the kettle cover onto the side of the grill it seems to reflect the heat and flare-ups back into middle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

They are supposed to be. If it comes with a cover for only $100 more it's likely worth it.

Yeah, what's a cover cost? $40 or $50 for a decent one? No brainer for $100 more.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Walked posted:

Really loving like my Fireboard. God drat it's good

I too love my Fireboard and have posted about it before in this thread.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Wait are you guys smoking the tomahawks?!

I thought they'd be overcooked?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheReverend posted:

Why so? You can cook at 225F until the core is 131F and you won't have a very steep gradient to the edges. And, perhaps most importantly, it will be delicious.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Finally smoking a butt again. I think my smoker is dialed in, so tomorrow morning I'm throwing a pork shoulder (~7.5lb) on so it'll be ready for dinner Saturday. If it goes as smooth as I anticipate, brisket will be attempted in short order.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

131F is way too hot for a steak. I’d give it some smoke, maybe up to 100F, and then throw it in a 500+F oven/grill up to 122ish and then pull it out to rest and coast to 127ish.

That way you get some smoke and some nice char on the outside.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TheReverend posted:

Reverse-searing. And no, they won’t be overcooked. They’ll be nicely charred on the outside and perfectly cooked, ruby red and juicy on the inside and delicious, just like they were the last time I did tomahawks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pork belly burnt ends

I followed the recipe from the Youtube video posted earlier and they were unbelievable. They literally melt in your mouth. Dad kept making Homer Simpson-esque grunts of satisfaction 20 minutes after he finished eating (which is a high compliment coming from him) and declared this one of the best meals he’s ever eaten. He still hasn’t stopped raving about it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

131F is way too hot for a steak. I’d give it some smoke, maybe up to 100F, and then throw it in a 500+F oven/grill up to 122ish and then pull it out to rest and coast to 127ish.

That way you get some smoke and some nice char on the outside.

131 is a perfectly respectable number of a nice medium rare steak. Since it was done low and slow there won't be much creep while resting, and the reverse sear will finish it up nicely.

Our lord and savior Kenji recommends closer to medium for highly marbled butcher cuts, as the higher temp will allow more of the fat to render into the meat.

Now I want steak at 5 in the morning....

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Canuckistan posted:

131 is a perfectly respectable number of a nice medium rare steak. Since it was done low and slow there won't be much creep while resting, and the reverse sear will finish it up nicely.

Our lord and savior Kenji recommends closer to medium for highly marbled butcher cuts, as the higher temp will allow more of the fat to render into the meat.

Now I want steak at 5 in the morning....

Agreed. Tomahawk cuts are so thick that you kinda have to go low 'n slow + reverse sear to get the center cooked without turning the outside into sawdust.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have a pork shoulder that will be ready around midnight. What's the best plan to serve for dinner tomorrow night (6ish)?

I was thinking foil and keep warm in a 200F oven, but now I'm second guessing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shred and Crock pot it about 2 hrs prior to serving. Keeping in oven whole for that long may lead do some dryness.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

tater_salad posted:

Shred and Crock pot it about 2 hrs prior to serving. Keeping in oven whole for that long may lead do some dryness.

So take it off at midnight, shred, refrigerate, then warm it up two hours prior to service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

no don't shred immediately off the grill