Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'd much rather have single-payer and it's not particularly close. we're one senator away from a majority of the senate endorsing NYHA anyway. Cuomo will veto it but flying in the face of his own party should get someone serious to challenge him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

EugeneJ posted:

How would everyone here feel about free/cheap healthcare for everyone making under $48,560 instead of single-payer?
if only people below a certain income threshold can benefit, then those above it may not defend it as though they also had a right to it, especially if they still have trouble getting by right above the limit. this means the program can be slowly be rolled back and gutted more easily, making it less solid as a policy than something like single payer or medicare for all.

an example of a more solid policy is social security, which everyone can collect and everyone would complain about if cuts were to be made.

its good to give a health benefit for people with less money, but it doesnt solve the problem of market based healthcare, which is still a problem for everyone, and it may be on shaky ground by having a limited base of beneficiaries.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
how is the essential plan administered? Is it through a typical insurance provider or is it the equivalent of a public option and all contributions are vested in / managed and disbursed by the government?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gunshow Poophole posted:

how is the essential plan administered? Is it through a typical insurance provider or is it the equivalent of a public option and all contributions are vested in / managed and disbursed by the government?

Administered by health insurance companies within the state using federal funds

Note the final sentence here:

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/managed_care/essential/docs/2017_annual_report.pdf

quote:

The Essential Plan is funded primarily by Federal funds with some State funding. The Federal funds calculation is based on 95 percent of the tax credits and cost-sharing reductions that individuals would have received if they enrolled in QHPs. In State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2015-16, Federal funds covered 98 percent of program costs, with State funding covering 2 percent of the costs. The percentage of Federal funds decreased to 91 percent in SFY 2016-17 as QHP enrollees transition to the Essential Plan. State funds are expected to account for 3 percent of program costs SFY 2017-18 and consumer premium contributions for less than 1 percent of costs. State funds support the lower cost-sharing for consumers in the Essential Plan as compared to the comparable QHP plan. Program administration costs cannot be financed by the trust fund and must be financed with State dollars.

In SFY 2017-18 the State Medicaid program is projected to save over $1 billion from the transition of lawfully residing non-citizens from Medicaid to the Essential Plan.

Seems like weakening the state Medicaid program and relying on federal funding instead might backfire at some point

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
thanks for the detail

money going to health insurance companies is bad flat out

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i was about to say that if people making $48k per year were able to use medicaid, i'd say that might be worth it, but generally propping up for-profit and pseudo-non-profit insurers is a bad idea. weakening medicaid is flat-out unacceptable. i'm on it for one more year and it's worked wonders for me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gravity knives finally loving legalized

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
support Tiffany Caban for Queens DA, folks

https://twitter.com/QueensChronicle/status/1134165210565136385
https://twitter.com/NYSIAF/status/1134107659794337795

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nypd caught under reporting rapes by 38%
only disclosing vaginal rapes to the public and not oral/anal.
accused of not following up on acquaintance/date rape, only stranger rapes.
accused of closing cases immediately if victims dont cooperate in first interview.
detective staffing is 1 per 100 cases vs 1 per 2.5 cases of murder.
detectives told not to investigate misdemeanor sex assault.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

caban is great but it seems like she wasn't prepared for this level of success. three people reported that they were paid late a while back

one of my ex-gfs was raped and she was one of the rare cases where the detective was overzealous about catching the perpetrators. unfortunately, he was still very insensitive because he demanded to interview her friend, and she didn't want a lot of people to know (she only told me and her supervisor at work)

mixed news on the rent regulations front. Heastie and Stewart-Cousins want to present a unified front for the expansion of the rent regulations and tenant protections. even Cuomo has shown some level of support for locality opt-ins for rent regulations. however, Stewart-Cousins claims that only three of the eight bills taken up by the Assembly (as i mentioned, this does not include good cause eviction) have the votes to pass. i suggest contacting DSA Housing, New York Communities for Change, and tenant groups to see what you can do for activism

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

very encouraging update on the rent law fight

quote:

Senate Dems Say They Have Support For 9 Housing Bills
Senate Democrats on Tuesday announced they had the support within their conference to approve nine bills designed to strengthen and expand rent control laws in New York.

Following a long discussion within the Senate Majority Conference, it is clear that we have support for all nine priority housing bills, said Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins. We have 11 days remaining before current rent regulations expire. We must use that time to work with our partners to pass the strongest housing protections in state history.

The statement comes after a day of protests in the Capitol that included 61 arrests, including two people charged with third-degree assault.

Lawmakers are considering legislation that would end vacancy decontrol, expand rent control measures to upstate communities through a local opt-in and a bill that would require good cause eviction as a way to prevent unconscionable increases in rent.
jumaane williams was one of the people arrested

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Real hurthling! posted:

gravity knives finally loving legalized

anyone seen a handy guide to whats legal now and what isnt? As a knife user who works with a ton of other knife users Id love to be able to point out what could or couldnt get people in trouble.

For legal concealed carry is it just blades under 4 that arent stilettos, daggers or dirks? whatever that means.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Snowy posted:

anyone seen a handy guide to whats legal now and what isnt? As a knife user who works with a ton of other knife users Id love to be able to point out what could or couldnt get people in trouble.

For legal concealed carry is it just blades under 4 that arent stilettos, daggers or dirks? whatever that means.

stiletto does 1d4+1 dmg so there's a statistically significant advantage over a knife. whereas a dagger can parry and a dirk gets a bonus to hit against armored targets

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

tbh unless they expand rent stabilization/control it's not terribly meaningful except to those who already have fairly strong rights. private rents have little compared to even NJ.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those first 5 points are going to change rent stabilization dramatically, like mega dramatically. Good cause eviction is also a huge deal even for non-rent-stabilized people. Altogether it just seems way too good to be true (and wow I wish it'd been a thing in time for me to take advantage).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

tbh unless they expand rent stabilization/control it's not terribly meaningful except to those who already have fairly strong rights. private rents have little compared to even NJ.
good-cause eviction and opening the door for localities to enter rent regulation are excellent and necessary and i'm glad they're back on the table. good cause eviction, in particular, looked extremely doubtful because Heastie wouldn't put it on the package of the other rent bills

i'll post a link later but an Assemblymember posted a 21-minute video of yesterday's protests and wow, i wish i could have been there. even from a video you could tell they were charged up

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Are IAI and MCI changes included in those 9 bills?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Are IAI and MCI changes included in those 9 bills?
yes. one of them eliminates permanent MCI rent increases entirely and another prevents IAI abuse towards vacant apartments

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

get that OUT of my face posted:

yes. one of them eliminates permanent MCI rent increases entirely and another prevents IAI abuse towards vacant apartments

Dope. Our building is currently fighting an MCI - the owner is claiming ~$600,000 on replacing a broken boiler, replacing a broken elevator, and repointing brickwork. Will the changes help us at all, or are we boned because the improvements are grandfathered in or something?

They also used IAI to increase the legal rent of my unit when the previous tenant moved out. The old legal rent was $800. Now it's $3,200 because they did the standard faux-luxury renovation during the vacancy. I kinda assume this unit is a lost cause, but it would be nice if the owner wasn't incentivised to keep doing this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

one day after the wild success of a powerful protest in Albany that got the State Senate on board to pass all nine bills, the tenant movement is pressing Carl Heastie in the Assembly with... a twitter rally. that's a pretty fuckin steep decline in tactics

Malcolm XML posted:

i'd like to add that i get this line of thinking and agree with it. i lived in a rent stabilized apartment that was subject to all the horror stories of the worst landlord tactics. the thing is, this only happened when my roommate found out that it was rent stabilized in the first place. there are over 250,000 rent stabilized units in NYC that aren't advertised as such, and if they only pass the most basic and least controversial ones, it's not going to amount to that much. hence why the rallying cry yesterday was "9 bills"

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

one day after the wild success of a powerful protest in Albany that got the State Senate on board to pass all nine bills, the tenant movement is pressing Carl Heastie in the Assembly with... a twitter rally. that's a pretty fuckin steep decline in tactics

i'd like to add that i get this line of thinking and agree with it. i lived in a rent stabilized apartment that was subject to all the horror stories of the worst landlord tactics. the thing is, this only happened when my roommate found out that it was rent stabilized in the first place. there are over 250,000 rent stabilized units in NYC that aren't advertised as such, and if they only pass the most basic and least controversial ones, it's not going to amount to that much. hence why the rallying cry yesterday was "9 bills"

Well my issue is that rent stabilization has the same problems as rent control, namely that it might as well not exist for the vast amount of the market. So expanding rent stabilization to basically everyone is >> increasing existing rent stabilized tenants' rights since there's a lot already. The only way to curb landlord power is to curb it for everyone, not just the lucky few.

9 bills will pass the senate but Cuomo and crew know that they can divide and conquer.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

good-cause eviction and opening the door for localities to enter rent regulation are excellent and necessary and i'm glad they're back on the table. good cause eviction, in particular, looked extremely doubtful because Heastie wouldn't put it on the package of the other rent bills

i'll post a link later but an Assemblymember posted a 21-minute video of yesterday's protests and wow, i wish i could have been there. even from a video you could tell they were charged up

the good cause eviction bill whips rear end

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Buffalo News refuses to run any articles on the New York Health Act, but published this editorial:

Another Voice: Single-payer system is wrong prescription for N.Y. health care

quote:

As an an independent insurance broker in the field of health and employee benefits, I, along with a vast number of my insurance industry colleagues, truly understand and empathize with many of the opinions voiced lately regarding the confusion and frustration in our U.S. health care system. But that doesnt mean we should throw it out for a single-payer, government-run system.

lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EugeneJ posted:

Buffalo News refuses to run any articles on the New York Health Act, but published this editorial:

Another Voice: Single-payer system is wrong prescription for N.Y. health care

lol

Speaking of which, what are good local newspapers I should consider subscribing to? I think I might start doing that in a few paychecks.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I like The Post Star out of Glens Falls. They do sales pretty often.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

swinging back to bad news on rent laws, the legislative leaders agreed to negotiate with the head goomba. cuomo is as close to a dictator in the current american system as you can get, and second only to Huey Long in that category historically. shame that our voters are stupid enough to keep voting him in

i would legitimately move to New Jersey if the situation there wasn't reversed (good governor, godawful legislature). can we combine forces and kick out the bad elements so that we have a half decent political system in both places? at least neither of us are Massachusetts, home of the straight pride parade

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Jun 6, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that huge tower going up at 3rd and 88th that was in the news for shady zoning shenanigans a few years back just had all construction stopped. turns out the city didnt check how many floors they were allowed to build and approved the plans with too many. they may have to remove 5 floors of already sold apartments. its loving glorious.

edit: sorry, its at 63rd street. different shady zonng shenannigan tower on 3rd ave than the one i was thinking of. (so many)

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Jun 7, 2019

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

that huge tower going up at 3rd and 88th that was in the news for shady zoning shenanigans a few years back just had all construction stopped. turns out the city didnt check how many floors they were allowed to build and approved the plans with too many. they may have to remove 5 floors of already sold apartments. its loving glorious.

edit: sorry, its at 63rd street. different shady zonng shenannigan tower on 3rd ave than the one i was thinking of. (so many)

holy poo poo

this owns

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
can we please get a link? "63rd st tower zoning" gets me nowhere, and I need to tell a small-town town planner asap

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://news.google.com/articles/CB...US&ceid=US%3Aen

link

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
tyvm, that also led to the NYT article if anyone's interested. My planner friend is going to love it, he regularly makes people do the same thing, but like Home Depot sheds, not five stories of a luxury high rise

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

passed this going on yesterday

how many of you goons are in there?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
oh, was just reading about the Cabn/Katz race.

here's a solid rundown:

https://theintercept.com/2019/06/07/queens-new-york-district-attorney-race-melinda-katz/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I appreciate that the race hasnt gone negative enough to really bring out this sort of dirty laundry, but the part of me that flips through tabloids while I wait in line at the deli really wishes someone would blow the lid off what the gently caress went down between Katz and Curtis Sliwa over the years.

(For those not familiar, heres a 2016 article that waves in the direction of the various incredible elements of this tawdry tale: https://nypost.com/2016/04/14/curtis-sliwa-plans-ultimate-revenge-against-ex-gal-pal/ )

quote:

In 2014, Sliwas second ex-wife, Mary Galda, took him to court over support payments.

She accused Sliwa of carrying on a torrid extramarital affair with Katz while only pretending to have fathered their two sons chastely, through in-vitro fertilization.

Last night was about the fact that you are capable of making love to me twice, Katz purred to him in a 2010 voicemail held up by Galda as proof Sliwa cheated.

Chevy Slyme has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Jun 7, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CaptainPsyko posted:

I appreciate that the race hasn’t gone negative enough to really bring out this sort of dirty laundry, but the part of me that flips through tabloids while I wait in line at the deli really wishes someone would blow the lid off what the gently caress went down between Katz and Curtis Sliwa over the years.

(For those not familiar, here’s a 2016 article that waves in the direction of the various incredible elements of this tawdry tale: https://nypost.com/2016/04/14/curtis-sliwa-plans-ultimate-revenge-against-ex-gal-pal/ )

:lol: Incredible.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DA primary races in NY, for some reason, seem pretty tame compared to other ones. the last Brooklyn one also wasn't that heated. i can see Manhattan's getting pretty nasty though, especially if Dan Fliedner runs

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DA primary races in NY, for some reason, seem pretty tame compared to other ones. the last Brooklyn one also wasn't that heated. i can see Manhattan's getting pretty nasty though, especially if Dan Fliedner runs

I mean, these are positions that until the past few years, all had incumbents with literal decades on the job.

There's a reason they haven't had competitive enough races to get heated.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I loving hope Cy Vance is booted, and that whoever replaces him manages to uncover evidence for all that loving bribery.

Edit: In other legal news, anybody hear about this body? I might be getting paranoid, but it seems to me like they're advocating for the legal services equivalent of payday loans:

https://twitter.com/ALFA_Law/status/1137103688168857600

Link to the Times Union article in case the tweet or account magically disappear

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Jun 8, 2019

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean, these are positions that until the past few years, all had incumbents with literal decades on the job.

There's a reason they haven't had competitive enough races to get heated.

before Ken Thompson (R.I.P.) the incumbent Brooklyn DA had not lost an election in over 100 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL, all these grifters are making GBS threads their pants at this competent Dem trifecta.

https://twitter.com/TeamAPCIA/status/1138137841505095680