Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Thanks for the tip guys, I'm good until 5/2022!

CDKeys raised the price as I was checking out from $50 to $55, but eh, whatever, $110 for two more years is awesome.

Tip for you guys, turn OFF automatic renewal as you put your first key it, it will ask you to turn it on for a free month, then go in and manage your subscription and turn it off again. When you go to put the next key in, you'll get the offer again. Basically, each key gains you a free month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It offers it either way. Mine was set to auto renew and it still gave me the free month to turn it on.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Wait a console that’s actually focused on gaming and not espn and cable boxes? More than 32mb of ram?

Did they accidentally read from Sonys e3 notes?
That's a little bit unfair since the X already exists but hell yeah they're gonna be apologizing for that 2013 conference for another 5 years at least

American McGay posted:

nothing at all about teaming up with Nintendo to :fuckoff: Sony.
Well, they're also teaming up with Sony to :fuckoff: Google, PSNow is going to be Azure-based

owls or something posted:

I have like at least 6 automatically installed apps from Microsoft that all have Xbox in the name installed on Windows 10.
It's GFWL with a new coat of paint. Treat it like Microsoft's Steam (or Microsoft's GOG Galaxy, judging from that new interface?).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Here's the 20 games being added today to Xbox Game Pass today:

quote:

ACA NEOGEO METAL SLUG X
Astroneer
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Bridge Constructor Portal
Everspace
Guacamelee! 2
Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
Lichtspeer
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Moonlighter
Neon Chrome
Old Man's Journey
Riverbond (released today)
Shadow Tactics – Blades of the Shogun
Shenmue and Shenmue II
Silence
Smoke And Sacrifice
SteamWorld Dig 2
Supermarket Shriek (released today)
Wizard of Legend

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Watching the E3 presentation. I thought we were past the point where showing nothing but pre-rendered cut scenes was acceptable? I was basically looking for any excuse to get excited about owning a console again and saw nothing. Every game is a sequel or a new IP that looks eerily similar to an existing IP. Creativity is dead.

It felt like every second trailer was of a post-apocalypse game.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BisterdDave posted:

I was really hoping for Fable 4, and possibly some Nintendo partnership announcement which was maybe fake (maybe we'll see at Nintendo's direct). Excited to play Gears 5 day 1 though!

The whole "Nintendo partnership" idea was always highly unrealistic. They're still competitors.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SUNKOS posted:

Same here. I just wanted to see Gears 5 multiplayer but they're saving that for later which sucks. Was excited for Forza Horizon 4 DLC but that Lego thing looks really lame, especially in comparison to the Hot Wheels DLC for Horizon 3 that was really cool. Other than that there wasn't much to get excited about but the acquisition of Double Fine was a genuine surprise and it's going to be years before we see a lot of these acquisitions pay off but after seeing Sony's studios shut down and shrink over the course of this generation it's nice to see Microsoft expand so much and acquire so many varied developers. They really screwed up by not acquiring Respawn at the start of the gen when they funded Titanfall development, though.

I mean, MS shrunk their studios down to basically nothing. They need these acquisitions if they want to run a successful subscription service.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2014-2016 they closed like 6 shops and cancelled everything they could

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yeah MS wanted to wash their hands off the Xbox division during that time because of heavy WebTV infection.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They had a severe infestation of Don Mattrick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Donny dont know hardware but he built a game lineup. Phil was the studio killer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Not to say phil is bad, his long term plan is working out i just would have liked to see more games this last gen

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Real hurthling! posted:

2014-2016 they closed like 6 shops and cancelled everything they could

I don't understand why they did that but didn't also just kill the whole thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

I don't understand why they did that but didn't also just kill the whole thing.

they wanted to get rid of expensive projects from big teams. Exactly why is not possible to pin down.

It turned out that they replaced them with small, fast output ones that compliment their cheap sub service. Whether this was the plan all along or more simply they were stripping down hoping to have the books be more attractive in a sale will probably not be revealed to us

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

they wanted to get rid of expensive projects from big teams. Exactly why is not possible to pin down.

It turned out that they replaced them with small, fast output ones that compliment their cheap sub service. Whether this was the plan all along or more simply they were stripping down hoping to have the books be more attractive in a sale will probably not be revealed to us

I actually really like short games so I'm totally fine with their whole "bang out games that are fine for the subscription service" paradigm.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I want more details on Flight Sim. I assume M/KB and stick support.

Super stoked to see what the One X can do with that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

I actually really like short games so I'm totally fine with their whole "bang out games that are fine for the subscription service" paradigm.

Yeah me too but theres perverse incentives. Like i wasnt big on helblade personally but i wanted more single player from ninja theory and here we have ms asking them to push out a melee version of overwatch in a year based on an idea they rejected last gen cause i guess with the design docs done they could start faster? Idk.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Real hurthling! posted:

I think we know why, i.e. management meddling in development. We saw that with most of those big cancellations, like Scalebound and Fable Legends.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fable is a really whack case cause that game was done, in a large public beta, and had a positive reception as a decent but not set the world on fire game but i guess they thought nobody was gonna play it at the height of the destiny craze?

Like scalebound had culture clash, publisher meddling, absent exasperated directors, and never came together but lionhead got done dirty. They all should have scrambled to advertise cloud features so they could have had protection from the axe like crackdown did so as not to embarrass azure.

Edit: just read some post mortems on fable legends and i forgot some stuff. It was originally a cloud project but then that changed at some point. Then it went f2p too late in development to support the type of mtx they would need to make money after spending 75 million on what was essentially a fantasy role playing take on evolve.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 10, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Flight Sim looks sweet and I might just pony up the 1 dollar or whatever for gamepass to see if I can see my house in Seattle area.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah im hype to play it. I loved the series in the 90s

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Two of my old apartments are close enough to the space needle that I will definitely be able to 9/11 my exact windows on them. :cool:

Edit: the streets are pretty narrow so maybe it'll be more like the guy who flew his two seater into the IRS building

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah my building is right under one of the approaches for O'Hare so I'm really excited. Used to play tons of Combat Flight Sim in the dorms in college.

Bunch of drunk 20 year old pilots trying to gun eachother down was something else.

Our other favorite was getting drunk and seeing who could land what on a carrier in X.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Flight Sim looks sweet and I might just pony up the 1 dollar or whatever for gamepass to see if I can see my house in Seattle area.

Yep, most interesting annoucement.

I used to be a hardcore flightsimmer like 10 years ago, had tons of payware add ons and was active online on VATSIM and IVAO.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Beastie posted:

I want more details on Flight Sim. I assume M/KB and stick support.

Super stoked to see what the One X can do with that.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft is sitting on an agnostic VR headset play for scarlet, but i'd really like to play FS in VR on the xbone x.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They didn't even add support for their own VR standard for the X, even though it was announced pre-launch. VR seems too small a niche to be worth developing support for, but who knows.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

incoherent posted:

I'm pretty sure Microsoft is sitting on an agnostic VR headset play for scarlet, but i'd really like to play FS in VR on the xbone x.

I have Ace Combat 7 on PSVR and it is mindbogglingly fun. Seriously like Disneyworld caliber amounts of thrill. I hope you're right because I'll pony up for Scarlet plus headset.

All I ever wanted is a VR flight sim.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Can't wait for nothing in my home metro to be 3D again after all these years

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The new console sounds powerful enough that it would be a real surprise if they don't at least do something with their WMR VR headsets on it. Even if they haven't announced anything right now.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Welp, they just announced a new set of backwards compatible games, but also that these are the last games they doing backwards compatibility for:

Original Xbox
Armed and Dangerous
Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

Xbox 360
Asura’s Wrath
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Enchanted Arms
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Far Cry Classic
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Infinite Undiscovery
Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
Skate
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syndicate
Too Human (free for everyone)
Unreal Tournament III

Already back compat but now in 4k for the X
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
Banjo-Tooie
Kameo Elements of Power
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1138220345108787201?s=20

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xbox just released what is apparently the last planned Backwards Compatible titles.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1138220345108787201

RIP Max Payne 3, the dream is dead.

EDIT lol beaten

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want all of you sick bastards to inflict Too Human on yourselves

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
SKATE SKATE SKATE SKATE SKATE SKATE SKATE

This is it my dudes, EA will definitely make Skate 4 now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
From my understanding these are just the final BC games for Xbox One. Microsoft will still continue to make OG Xbox and 360 games BC for Scarlett, right?

Also, how's Infinite Undiscovery? It's on my list of 360 exclusives that I've been wanting to play. Too Human is on that list as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Seems like a weird statement to make, unless what they're really trying to say "no one is willing to sign over the rights for additional titles anymore".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

From my understanding these are just the final BC games for Xbox One. Microsoft will still continue to make OG Xbox and 360 games BC for Scarlett, right?

Also, how's Infinite Undiscovery? It's on my list of 360 exclusives that I've been wanting to play. Too Human is on that list as well.

They might make more in future, it sounds like everyone who was working on it is now on “make sure poo poo works on the Xbox Two” duty, so don’t hold your breath.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Its not very good. Not anywhere near as awful as Too Human, but still, why?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Barudak posted:

Its not very good. Not anywhere near as awful as Too Human, but still, why?

No matter how lovely everyone says something is, I still like to experience it for myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

No matter how lovely everyone says something is, I still like to experience it for myself.

But like there are lots of other mediocre titles out there that, at least to me seem, more interesting. Like that RPG boardgame everyone hyped up in the late PS2 early 360 lifespan

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

But like there are lots of other mediocre titles out there that, at least to me seem, more interesting. Like that RPG boardgame everyone hyped up in the late PS2 early 360 lifespan

RIP Culpcept Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
No Beautiful Katamari :(