Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 23: Trucking Hell

Well, at least we found Dr. Michaels.

The 1440p and 4K versions of the video are taking forever to render, so I'll just post the 1080p version now instead of waiting until whenever YouTube decides to be done with processing (probably in a couple of hours, or possibly several weeks). Also, keep your eyes peeled for a strange visual glitch which causes Spider-Man's suit to become ultra-shiny at one point.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 24: Off the Rails

Mister Negative puts his evil plan into motion at the Grand Central Terminal, and it is up to the friendly neighborhood wallcrawler and one intrepid reporter to stop him and the Demons.

1080p version is up, 1440p and 4K will take a while to process.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This was one of my favorite levels in the game just for the joy of playing as MJ and summoning Spider-Man to take out enemies. :) And in the next Act, the game really picks up. :D

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that was incredibly neat

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It took a while to get here, but the lead-up to and the encounter with Neg is pretty great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Just a quick update: this LP is still very much alive and I haven't forgotten about it, I just haven't had any time to record footage in the last month or so because I've been stressing over work, my studies, and that sort of pointless crap. I've been able to update Red Dead a bit more frequently because I have a massive backlog of footage for that one, but this one's kind of been on the back burner for a while.

Sorry about the delay, I'll get back to recording and somewhat regular updates as soon as I can. At the very least, I'll try to get an episode out tomorrow or later in the week. :spidey:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 25: Cat's Cradle

With Mr. Negative arrested and sent to the Raft, we're free to go for a spin around the neighborhood and do whatever we feel like. That means it's time to delve into the side content again, so we're taking down a Demon stronghold and finding some collectibles and that sort of thing. We also finally locate Black Cat's hideout, but what of Felicia herself?

On a technical note, I've decided to drop the video resolution back to 1440p. Spider-Man doesn't benefit from the fake 4K treatment as much as something like Red Dead, or at least not to the extent that it's worth the massively increased file sizes and rendering times. I am also currently sitting on a gigantic pile of footage I've recorded this week, so I should be able to get back to more frequent updates from here on.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome back. You’ve been gone so long I had to remind myself how much side content you still have yet to do. I’d recommend you do some catching up on it for pacing, but since you already have a lot of footage recorded, do as you will with your LP and good luck. [watches video] Ah, we’re thinking alike. Good.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 24, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Honestly, I've got so many side content episodes in the pipeline that I'm gonna have to start uploading those videos out of sequence to retain some semblance of pacing. Thus far, everything I've done in the LP has been in chronological order and you've seen all the content in the exact order I played and recorded it in, but right now I have so much footage that if I continue to post everything in chronological order we won't get to the next story mission until episode 30 or thereabouts. I'll probably upload the next side content episode as usual, but from there on I'm thinking I'll skip ahead to the next story mission and upload the rest of the side stuff later on as bonus episodes of sorts (kind of like I did in the Yakuza LP). Nothing that happens in the side content videos has any bearing on the story anyway, so they might as well be kind of their own separate thing.

The reason I recorded all of this stuff now was that I wanted to get the side content out of the way before the final act of the game. Once things start ramping up in the main story, nobody's going to want to see me run around doing dumb collectible stuff or screw about with the research stations (why in the blue hell are there so many of those stations anyway, Insomniac should've cut at least half of them out), and I also wanted the end of the story to be the end of the main run so I wasn't going to leave a bunch of repetitive crap for the postgame. Any side content that is exclusive to the final act will probably show up in the videos as normal, because there isn't a lot of it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 24, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 26: Taken to Task

Our side mission marathon continues as we clobber some more Demons, retrieve stolen Fisk evidence, and search for a missing person. Not only that, but Taskmaster decides to set up a more hands-on type of test for us...

Again, I have a lot of side mission videos in the pipeline, and while I figure it'd probably be better for pacing if I skipped ahead to the next story mission in the next episode (and uploaded the side stuff later on), I'd still be interested in hearing what the folks in the thread would like to see. Do I continue posting everything in the order it was recorded in (which would mean we won't get back to the story for several episodes), or skip ahead to story stuff and post the side content some other time?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Discovered this during my recent playthrough on Ultimate difficulty- you don't have to win the fight with Taskmaster that you get after finishing half of his challenges. If he beats you (which he did me), you don't start the fight over. Instead you're back in the city with a message from Taskmaster. "I'm disappointed. Train better." Then it's back to normal gameplay.

He does challenge you again after you complete all his challenges. That fight I've always won on the first try, even though it's supposed to be harder. But I think you can lose it too and then have to do a challenge or two to get it again. Naturally you have to beat the guy in the second or subsequent fight for a resolution to his story.

My vote- keep the videos in the order you did them. It will be more natural for pacing and the final act of the game's story is such a change in atmosphere that breaks in waiting for it all to get resolved may not seem right. Cliffhangers and continuity snarls in the side content might not work well either. Especially since your video comments already said it'd be a while before we got back to the main story. But, eh, do what you want ultimately. I'll watch and enjoy the videos either way.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I'm sure it's already been asked, but how huge of a weeaboo is Wilson Fisk, really?

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I also just started this LP, and I now wonder: why the hell did they name a black dude Jefferson Davis, of all possible names?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

do NOT jack off posted:

I also just started this LP, and I now wonder: why the hell did they name a black dude Jefferson Davis, of all possible names?

It's not the games fault. Ask Brian Michael Bendis. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jefferson_Davis_(Earth-1610)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

do NOT jack off posted:

I'm sure it's already been asked, but how huge of a weeaboo is Wilson Fisk, really?

This feels like the setup for one of Spidey's fat jokes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 27: Just A Day

More side content! Seriously, we'll be here a while if we just keep on doing the sidequests -- if my admittedly limited math is correct, we wouldn't reach the next story mission until Episode 34! That's more consecutive side content episodes than I was expecting and probably more than you guys want to watch, so I'm honestly thinking I should leave most of these (not all, mind) until the end of the game, kind of a bonus set of videos in between the main story and the DLC. As you can do all of this side stuff at any point during or after the story, there isn't much in the way of continuity problems either. At this point, I'd post one more sidequest episode (in which we hunt down Tombstone) after this one and follow that up with a video that is a mix of side and main stuff, and from there we'd get back to the plot.

The 1440p version is taking some time to process but should be ready soon enough. Also, I finally got a new computer, which has cut my video rendering times to a third of what they used to be. :getin:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'm still blown away by how perfectly they've nailed J. Jonah Jameson. He just keeps getting better and better.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ack, I wasn't aware you had that much side content left. Yeah, maybe just one more video of it and then main story is a good idea. Considering how much side stuff there is to go in the DLC, you got a while left. Glad it's all entertaining.

The secret photo collection isn't that much of a pain if you concentrate on it exclusively and use a guide. That's what I did. The special suit for it is nothing special, just an ESU T-shirt.

Interesting note- The Lockjaw statue is a replacement for the Wall Street Bronze Bull Statue, which apparently they couldn't depict in game because of copyright issues. I personally think Lockjaw's a better fit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

I'm still blown away by how perfectly they've nailed J. Jonah Jameson. He just keeps getting better and better.
Not gonna lie, his rants really started to get to me during my first playthrough of the DLC. Granted, much like the rest of the DLC, the Jameson stuff in it is generally not nearly as fun as the main game and I was probably more annoyed with that than anything else, but in hindsight I appreciate how effectively the game was able to convey how draining it must be for Spider-Man to constantly be on the receiving end of that poo poo. You somehow manage to slog your way through a bunch of crap to save the day, and the thanks you get is some rear end in a top hat screaming about how the whole thing was actually your fault. One nice thing about the game is that you can turn off the JJJ podcasts if you don't want to listen to him, but in the main game he's funny enough that I wouldn't even consider that option..

Unfortunately, the DLC side content also features similar but much more annoying and unmutable commentary courtesy of a villain who shall not be named, and that quite frankly feels less like a villain taunting Spider-Man and more like the actual game designer taunting the player. "LOL, you didn't figure out my arbitrary bullshit well enough! gently caress you!" Any eventual comeuppance will feel hollow as well, because you can't really go and punch the game designer.

Suffice to say I am not looking forward to LPing the DLC, but maybe you'll be entertained by my commentary potentially reverting to endgame GTA IV mode where I'm just completely done with terrible mission design, pointless busywork, and annoying idiot characters. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 11, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Doc M posted:

Unfortunately, the DLC side content also features similar but much more annoying and unmutable commentary courtesy of a villain who shall not be named, and that quite frankly feels less like a villain taunting Spider-Man and more like the actual game designer taunting the player. "LOL, you didn't figure out my arbitrary bullshit well enough! gently caress you!" Any eventual comeuppance will feel hollow as well, because you can't really go and punch the game designer.

Ouch, that stinks. It must be tough to find that right balance the Batman games managed with their Riddler sidequests when it comes to in-game character commentary over a long period.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Ouch, that stinks. It must be tough to find that right balance the Batman games managed with their Riddler sidequests when it comes to in-game character commentary over a long period.

I think the main way they managed that was to have the Riddler be so over-the-top it was funny. I love the Riddler anyway, but they turned him up to 11 in Arkham Knight.
"Batman, you've barely begun to solve my conundrums. In fact, Gotham remains riddled with them! Oh, I've been waiting years to use that one!"
Also he very satisfyingly changes his tune as he starts losing, which is something a lot of designers forget to include.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
"Batman, are you looking up the answers to my riddles on the Internet?"

Yes, Riddler. I am. :D

I totally agree about him being more fun compared to Screwball. I had to mute her on most of her challenges in the DLC. It wasn't my least favorite part of it, though. Not even my second least. We'll cover those when we get there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Doc M posted:

Not gonna lie, his rants really started to get to me during my first playthrough of the DLC. Granted, much like the rest of the DLC, the Jameson stuff in it is generally not nearly as fun as the main game and I was probably more annoyed with that than anything else, but in hindsight I appreciate how effectively the game was able to convey how draining it must be for Spider-Man to constantly be on the receiving end of that poo poo. You somehow manage to slog your way through a bunch of crap to save the day, and the thanks you get is some rear end in a top hat screaming about how the whole thing was actually your fault.

On the plus side, I think Jameson is actually aware of Peter being Spider-Man in the comics now and on good terms with him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jameson had one of my favorite comic moments during the Zero Tolerance arc. Bastion was in Government Spook mode and was threatening Jameson at a diner along the lines of "That's a nice newspaper you run, it would be a shame if someone investigated you." Jameson produces his wallet and throws it on the table. "License, credit cards, social security. Investigate me. I'm sending every resource the Bugle has after you."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 28: Tombstone Piledriver

Because I don't want to post yet another sidequest episode with a bunch of nothing happening, we are skipping ahead to an actually interesting side mission. That's right, we're finally going after Tombstone and shutting down his business operations! Next time, I'll be showing off the final research station mission and taking on Taskmaster again, after which it's time to actually continue the plot (the rest of the side missions, research stations and Taskmaster challenges will be shown eventually, I just didn't want to post a million consecutive episodes only featuring that stuff).

I would've posted this a couple of hours earlier but there were some technical problems I had to sort out. Namely, I thought the audio was out of sync by a few frames, so I re-rendered and re-uploaded the episode. Then, while watching another video on Youtube I noticed that was also out of sync, so the issue was with my speakers, screen or a combination thereof and was fixed after I restarted them. Thankfully I hadn't actually deleted the original upload, because obviously now the "fixed" version would've had messed up audio. Ah, technology is fun sometimes.

As for the Ghost Spider thing I mentioned in the video, I looked it up and Spider-Gwen's ongoing comic series is indeed named Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider, although the actual character is apparently still called Spider-Woman. As I've mentioned before, I don't really follow modern comics so I might get confused by this sort of stuff from time to time. Of course, the Spirit Spider suit that is briefly seen in the video and reminded me of Ghost-Spider in the first place is something very different (and I will show it off in action at some point, so don't worry about that). It'd also be really cool if Spider-Gwen somehow ended up in Insomniac's next Spider-Man game, but I'm not sure how they'd go about implementing that.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 25, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Heck, I’d love a Spider Gwen game with suits that let you impersonate the other Spider Women we’ve seen over the years. Jessica Drew, Arana, Mayday Parker, etc.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I liked how Tombstone and Spidey didn't really seem to hate each other during that fight. It just comes across as business for Tombstone and he seems to have been fully accepted that doing business in NY means he may have a superhero come after him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 29: Jailbreak

I mentioned last time that the next episode would consist of a couple of side missions and some plot, but I decided to just forget about that and do a bit of re-editing to keep the side stuff in a separate video. So, we're now back to the main plot, in which Spider-Man's night quickly goes from bad to disastrous to an utter nightmare. Buckle up, because it's going to be one hell of a ride from here on out!

This is one of the best parts of the game in my opinion. It's just this really impressive setpiece that wouldn't look out of place in a Spider-Man movie, with gameplay that does a fantastic job making you feel like Spider-Man as you effortlessly dispatch dozens of thugs while chasing down a bunch of super criminals as everything goes to hell around you. It's pretty spectacular. Amazing, even.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The one big problem is that they forget about Fisk and Shocker. Did they break out of the Raft too? Does Spidey need to hunt them down also after this? The game never says, and a simple blurb about how they were in the courtroom at the time and thus still in custody would have really put me at ease. Oh well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, when I was editing this I was kinda surprised they never mention Fisk during the mission. To be honest, the whole story basically forgets about him and he's barely mentioned after the midway point.

As for Shocker, he's probably out there now but quite frankly we have bigger problems than some dumb bank robber who dresses like Aunt May's couch.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
I guess Fisk and Shocker aren't mentioned because they probably aren't wreaking havoc like all of the other escaped convicts. Fisk is more focused on building up and maintaining his criminal empire so with what New York is going to be like with all of the raft escapees he might have left New York until it settles down. As for Shocker, if I'm remembering it right doesn't he mention that he was being forced to rob the banks when he fought Spiderman? I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to lay low instead of get revenge against Spiderman.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree about Shocker. Fisk, yeah, that's probably what he did but they should at least mention it.

Plot holes aside, the events in this video are excellent. Ock and the arms setting the scene is one of the best supervillain origins I've seen in a videogame. And the prison battle with how fast it escalates, the helicopter jacking thwart (one of the harder QTEs in the game, I think, if you still have them on) and the Sinister 6 showing up... the rush from it is awesome. I too liked the look for Electro and Josh Keaton's voice work (he also voiced Spidey a while back, you know). And I also had issues chasing Electro- at least you didn't have to continue!

BTW, the game has updated with two new suits from the new Spiderman Far From Home movie. Hope you'll show them off at some point.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 15, 2019

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Spidy was putting up a hell of a fight considering that it was 5v1 there. I do wonder how they are going to explain the lack of other superheroes getting involved with this though I mean before now it could be explained by them thinking Spiderman has everything under control. But with something like this happing...

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

cokerpilot posted:

Spidy was putting up a hell of a fight considering that it was 5v1 there. I do wonder how they are going to explain the lack of other superheroes getting involved with this though I mean before now it could be explained by them thinking Spiderman has everything under control. But with something like this happing...

I think Spidey says that the Avengers are dealing with something on the west coast when you take a picture of the Avengers tower.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
And I bet Daredevil and his fellow Defenders are making sure Fisk doesn’t get away so they’re not going to help. Black Cat isn’t that brave.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

savixeon posted:

I think Spidey says that the Avengers are dealing with something on the west coast when you take a picture of the Avengers tower.
At least he would, if his comments about the landmarks weren't always interrupted by some open world event. :argh:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

That just leaves... every other New York based hero. Strange wouldn't get involved since it's not a mystic threat, I guess, but what about the Fantastic Four? X-Men?

Does Scorpion have immunity to Spider-Sense? He seemed to get the better of Spidey a couple of times there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fractalairduct posted:

That just leaves... every other New York based hero. Strange wouldn't get involved since it's not a mystic threat, I guess, but what about the Fantastic Four? X-Men?

Does Scorpion have immunity to Spider-Sense? He seemed to get the better of Spidey a couple of times there.

Martin Li sure as hell seems like magic, then again Strange is an Avenger in the MCU at least (if informally).

Devil's Breath also seems like the kind of thing that would make most supers break their rules about jurisdiction.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

fractalairduct posted:

I don't think the F4 exist in this, do they? It's been a while since I played but I don't recall the Baxter Building being in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

From what I understand, there was some weird licensing stuff going on with the Fantastic Four during the game's development (probably something to do with the old movie deal with Fox) so they couldn't be mentioned. That seems to have been sorted out now that Disney owns both Marvel and Fox, and Insomniac has since added two F4-themed outfits (including the legendary Bombastic Bag-Man) in a patch.

edit: Same thing with X-Men, actually. Marvel didn't promote them or F4 a whole lot in recent years because of the competing movie rights stuff.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 17, 2019