Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

A Bad Poster posted:

I'll willing to wager that as legitimate reasons to hunt disappear, that weakens the arguments that 2a people have too.

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It never has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bored As gently caress posted:

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It never has.

What are you talking about? It's right there in the text, "the right to arm bears shall not be infringed".

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

my kinda ape posted:

My dad raises a smallish herd and the ones destined for slaughter are always Steak 1, Steak 2, etc lol

I ended up with a pair of Rouen drakes in my flock last year so I named them Thanksgiving and Christmas and dad gum if you think you like duck you should try a heritage breed instead of the weak sauce pekins most commercial farms use.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

BigDave posted:

What are you talking about? It's right there in the text, "the right to arm bears shall not be infringed".

DC v Heller ruled that the 2nd enshrined the right to bear arms for the purpose of self defense. The hunting argument is just a way to try to push disarming the poor and minorities without angering old white rurals.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

RFC2324 posted:

I think most everyone but cops and judges disagree.

The ACLU is famous for a court case where they sued to allow Nazis to march in Skokie illinois and the government was forced to provide police protection.

There's a famous photo of some black state trooper protecting a Klansman.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:lol: read it again buddy

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The appeal of hunting wore off a bunch after my uncle lost his cabin to extreme financial stupidity. Plenty of public land, but also plenty of idiots who think they own it and will make vague threats about what they think is theirs.

Back in 2003 on county land some guy came stomping across a large clear cut to inform my dad and I that his family had been hunting there for 30 years. He had an illegally high tree stand overlooking the whole thing. Dad just let him bitch because out in the woods with guns isn't a good place to get in arguments with strangers, even if they're wrong as gently caress. A point that gets hammered home a year later in WI when Chai Vang gets in an argument with some land owners about trespassing, they use some racial slurs, and he shoots and kills several of them.

Several years after that my dad got a nasty note on his truck from some guy who said that the blind was pitched in his son's spot. The blind went up as soon as was legal and properly marked.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 11, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Internet Wizard posted:

DC v Heller ruled that the 2nd enshrined the right to bear arms for the purpose of self defense. The hunting argument is just a way to try to push disarming the poor and minorities without angering old white rurals.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

Maybe if the polar bears were armed than they wouldn’t be about to be turbofucked by climate change :smith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BigDave posted:

I would watch a show about a dyslexic lawyer

Smiling Jack posted:

The ACLU is famous for a court case where they sued to allow Nazis to march in Skokie illinois and the government was forced to provide police protection.

There's a famous photo of some black state trooper protecting a Klansman.

Oh, they would disagree with me. Gonna have to look this up, but given that I grew up in a time when the NRA and ACLU worked together I can totally see how they would have done that.

It was Illinois Nazis anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCw7RJ5eE8

E: I just made the connection watching that video

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I may be getting my "government forced to protect klan / Nazis" lawsuits confused.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Minnesotan hunters and anglers regularly proclaim themselves the champions of natural preservation because of the money they put into the Department of Natural Resources in the form of hunting/fishing licenses. Of course, the moment the DNR says it needs to raise rates to meet budget targets, or says that a popular lake can't be fished this season due to environmental concerns, those same hunters and anglers work themselves into a frothing rage.

I assume the same is true in other states?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Minnesotan hunters and anglers regularly proclaim themselves the champions of natural preservation because of the money they put into the Department of Natural Resources in the form of hunting/fishing licenses. Of course, the moment the DNR says it needs to raise rates to meet budget targets, or says that a popular lake can't be fished this season due to environmental concerns, those same hunters and anglers work themselves into a frothing rage.

I assume the same is true in other states?

lol if minnesota actually closes poo poo for overfishing then it's all true, they are the A#1 conservation champions of the nation

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

shame on an IGA posted:

lol if minnesota actually closes poo poo for overfishing then it's all true, they are the A#1 conservation champions of the nation
I guess we're #1? Article from 2015, but I've zero idea what came of it or if the anglers/tourism-dependent towns screamed loud enough for it to be overturned. I think the stupid loving businesses got a bailout to compensate the lost revenue. https://www.twincities.com/2015/08/03/unprecedented-lake-mille-lacs-walleye-ban-starts-monday-night/

quote:

The lake’s walleye population has been in decline for years for reasons scientists don’t fully understand. The situation is complicated because the lake is managed jointly by the state and eight bands of Chippewa Indians with contentious but court-affirmed treaty rights to net the fish for noncommercial purposes. Last week, the Mille Lacs Band of Chippewa announced it would suspend its netting of walleye during the spring spawning cycle; it’s unclear if the remaining seven bands will follow suit.

[T]he state is now believed to have exceeded its annual walleye-kill limit [and] the walleyes that remain in the lake — the lowest population measured in more than 30 years, and perhaps ever — “need to be conserved,”.

“They’re gonna shut down the economy. Are you kidding me?” said Linda Eno, owner of Twin Pines Resort on the lake near Garrison, shortly after hearing the news.
let resort towns die, imo

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:confused:

Florida has closed various seasons or shortened them multiple times in the last decade. Is this not something every state does?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Smiling Jack posted:

I may be getting my "government forced to protect klan / Nazis" lawsuits confused.

Nah

https://www.aclu.org/about/aclu-history

quote:

One of the most noted moments in the ACLU’s history occurred in 1978 when the ACLU defended a Nazi group that wanted to march through the Chicago suburb of Skokie, Illinois, where many Holocaust survivors lived. The ACLU persuaded a federal court to strike down three ordinances that placed significant restrictions on the Nazis’ First Amendment right to march and express their views. The decision to take the case was a demonstration of the ACLU’s commitment to the principle that constitutional rights must apply to even the most unpopular groups if they’re going to be preserved for everyone. Many now consider this one of the ACLU’s finest hours.

I just never actually realized that was a real thing, I thought it was just some Blue Brothers joke.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I think there was a subsequent lawsuit which forced governments to provide some sort of protection so Nazis don't get the poo poo kicked out of them as opposed to just tossing them a permit and saying "take your fuckin chances"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

cops have the most powerful union but they never just refuse to defend nazis despite being literally under no legal obligation to defend anyone. gently caress 'em.

Lmao I know you're mad but gently caress, dude. None of us want to protect nazis (except the literal nazis who infiltrated). It is literally part of the job to try and prevent crimes being committed during a lawful march. Amend the constitution so that being a nazi isn't free speech anymore and we wont have to do this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Elmnt80 posted:

Florida has closed various seasons or shortened them multiple times in the last decade. Is this not something every state does?

florida needs to get more hunters on them pythons loving up the everglades

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

They don't close fishing seasons here in CO, but they will close stretches of river and change limits to manage populations. Having said that, I can't imagine there will be much left for trout fishing on public waters in the next two decades if they don't figure out a way to get more water flowing through the rivers (bomb the Hover dam!) or keep them cooler, YAY GLOBAL WARMING!!!

I would like to go hunting again for elk, but I don't have much of a desire to hunt deer, and it's too much of a gamble to just go on a elk tag. Hunting (and fishing) on public land loving sucks, and the tourism industry here is making it even worse, like to the point that unless you are in a situation where your household can harvest multiple animals, you are paying more per lb of meat than you would to buy at a specialty butcher.
Also as pointed out above hunters are some of the shittiest people known to man.

RE: ethical consumption of meat
I personally only eat red meat like 1-2 times a week, trying to get that down to 0 except for special occasions. We eat a lot of chicken, and I'm personally eating vegetarian a few times a week. I don't eat fish anymore either, unless I catch it, or the occasional can of sardines.
I kind of want to go up to Oregon and do a big salmon fishing trip, because the odds of being able to do that go down every year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good news about heating up rivers! Small mouth bass like them just fine!

If it gets really warm you still have some carp!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Do we know that these nazis had filed for permission to march during the same day as Detroit pride? I didn't see anything about them having some kind of municipally sanctioned rally or anything.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Do we know that these nazis had filed for permission to march during the same day as Detroit pride? I didn't see anything about them having some kind of municipally sanctioned rally or anything.

No. The cops had Intel that the Nazis were going to show up with a bunch of go-pro cameras and a lawyer and try and provoke a confrontation. Since most people at pride don't bring body armor and melee weapons, the cops prevented the Nazi scum from fuckin up the parade as best they could.

Source: https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/nancy-kaffer/2019/06/10/detroit-police-nazis-pride/1412498001/

Imho the Intel obtained and the obvious desire for violence should have resulted in an order to disperse. Not sure what the local laws say about that tho. Law varies widely.

Edit: oh yeah the Nazis were also open carrying.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 11, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bengy81 posted:

They don't close fishing seasons here in CO

At some point we should hang out. Don't worry, I won't drug you with edibles, I save those for myself.

Also CO has a bunch of perks for being a busted rear end vet. 60% or higher disability rating gets you a lifetime fish/small game combo license.

I remember the last animal I killed, and I remember the last time I bothered even hooking a line, let alone baiting it. They were a few years apart. I have no earnest desire to kill an animal unnecessarily, there's plenty of meat at the store. I can afford the store for now, we'll see how the economy looks in a few years, but it's not something I'm comfortable with finding pleasure in.

It's a delicate goddamn topic, but I really hate 15 year old me for killing a rabbit with a .410 using birdshot. I can still agree with 15 year old me hanging out on the top of the grain bins on fall evenings taking potshots at coyotes with a mini-14. gently caress coyotes, especially ones that attack schnauzers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fallom posted:

It’s my schtick? I don’t post about this stuff a lot but it’s not a take I’m prepared to argue into the ground so I’ll let it drop.

It is kind of your thing to come in with absolute takes on issue. You’re not a particularly moderate personality on issues you weigh in on.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RIP Bushwick Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qZAQZpcwxI

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

At some point we should hang out. Don't worry, I won't drug you with edibles, I save those for myself.

Also CO has a bunch of perks for being a busted rear end vet. 60% or higher disability rating gets you a lifetime fish/small game combo license.

I remember the last animal I killed, and I remember the last time I bothered even hooking a line, let alone baiting it. They were a few years apart. I have no earnest desire to kill an animal unnecessarily, there's plenty of meat at the store. I can afford the store for now, we'll see how the economy looks in a few years, but it's not something I'm comfortable with finding pleasure in.

It's a delicate goddamn topic, but I really hate 15 year old me for killing a rabbit with a .410 using birdshot. I can still agree with 15 year old me hanging out on the top of the grain bins on fall evenings taking potshots at coyotes with a mini-14. gently caress coyotes, especially ones that attack schnauzers.

gently caress any dog small enough to be prey for coyotes, America's Native Goodboy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

It is kind of your thing to come in with absolute takes on issue. You’re not a particularly moderate personality on issues you weigh in on.

I won't argue with that or feel bad about it in general. I won't be moderate on things like healthcare access, police violence, and science denialism but I can learn to hold my tongue when it comes to personal feelings about peoples' activities. I think CRUSTY MINGE had a better take on what I was trying to get at but being a dumbass about. Strawmanning is not a thing I see myself doing a whole lot, though.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 11, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fallom posted:

I won't argue with that or feel bad about it in general. I won't be moderate on things like healthcare access, police violence, and science denialism but I can learn to hold my tongue when it comes to personal feelings about peoples' activities. I think CRUSTY MINGE had a better take on what I was trying to get at but being a dumbass about.

I mean that’s fine. We’re all adults here. Don’t be surprised when someone comes back at you like an rear end in a top hat because of it, though. Writing with such a heavy tone is basically asking for people to focus on the delivery rather than the content of what you’re adding to the discussion.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Chichevache posted:

gently caress any dog small enough to be prey for coyotes, America's Native Goodboy.

The st. bernards usually played security, but we were down to our last and she was a loving antique of an animal. Easily cleared a decade, but was too old to protect a couple little dogs at night. Coyotes were rampant at the time, so much so that the county would pay you for each you killed. They hosed up the fox populations locally too. Raccoons were less trouble.

So coyotes were my first true enemy. We have a truce, for now.

Honestly, the most irresponsible thing about that time period of my life was my father agreeing to buy the mini-14 for me. I'd been through hunter safety courses, had a FOID card because Illinois is annoying, lived with an 8 mile buffer of corn between me and the closest town. Still, a teenager definitely did not need that rifle and a couple high capacity mags to pick off coyotes. Also, it was the 90s, pre-Columbine.

poo poo was weird back then, but it's even loving weirder now.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If you need to pop a couple of coyotes to protect dogs thats one thing but when I was working in texas this house had 8 foot high chainlink fences with about 75-100 coyote bodies strung up 4-5 feet off the ground rotting with a few heaps of bones where the bodies had rotted too much for the wire to keep them suspended anymore which is just disgusting

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's a bit beyond. I mean, I use that logic with mayflies and wasps, leave the dead on display to warn off the living, but coyotes will eat their own without a thought otherwise, especially if its buddies are already dead and advertised on the air.

That dude has more mental health problems than this entire subforum.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stravag posted:

If you need to pop a couple of coyotes to protect dogs thats one thing but when I was working in texas this house had 8 foot high chainlink fences with about 75-100 coyote bodies strung up 4-5 feet off the ground rotting with a few heaps of bones where the bodies had rotted too much for the wire to keep them suspended anymore which is just disgusting

Oh cool the titular House of a 1000 Corpses

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I dont have the pictures anymore it was 2 phones ago.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, that's a bit beyond. I mean, I use that logic with mayflies and wasps, leave the dead on display to warn off the living, but coyotes will eat their own without a thought otherwise, especially if its buddies are already dead and advertised on the air.

That dude has more mental health problems than this entire subforum.

I've never seen a wasp that gave a gently caress about another dead wasp tho :confused:

e] I'm genuinely curious about whether that's a real thing or if you're just joking

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I've never seen a wasp that gave a gently caress about another dead wasp tho :confused:

e] I'm genuinely curious about whether that's a real thing or if you're just joking

It's definitely not effective on wasps. Not really with mayflies either. Wishful thinking is all it is.

Maybe it works with spiders, but I usually don't kill spiders. They have far more annoying things to eat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKwkDCJ6ox8&t=66s

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm really curious what effect it has on a state's hunting culture whether the State game commission is State-funded or self-funded.

Here in PA it's the self funded route and hunting and fishing are in a death spiral as tags and fines go up every year, and the remaining hunters are more likely to be of the lovely fudd variety.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

oh another fun thing: if you're trying to only buy ETHICALLY SOURCED LOCAL MEAT there is a good chance you're buying from literal nazis

getting to play little house on the prairie with your wife and make blond, blue eyed babies is like the aryan hipster wet dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

oh another fun thing: if you're trying to only buy ETHICALLY SOURCED LOCAL MEAT there is a good chance you're buying from literal nazis

getting to play little house on the prairie with your wife and make blond, blue eyed babies is like the aryan hipster wet dream

I like how we went from "All hunters are sociopaths who love murdering animals" to "small, independent farmers are most likely Nazis."