Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

But he’s getting memories of Duncans he has no genetic material from. He’s still made of cells from the original Duncan Prime who got stabbed in the head by Sardukar in Dune 1, that the Bene Tlielax have been shaving bits off of for 3500 years. He’s still genetically that Duncan, minus some conditioning they put in that would make him brainwash-gently caress the first space nun he has sex with, hoping it would be a BG and not an HM.

I thought they made him special with materiel from more than one Duncan and tweaked reflexes etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

yaffle posted:

I thought they made him special with materiel from more than one Duncan and tweaked reflexes etc?

I remember the tweaked reflexes, which was why the BG were paranoid, because a 100% original model Duncan they can verify, but if they gently caress with the base genetics on something like reaction times, there’s no no way to know if the BTs put some other sneaky poo poo in there, and they’re the sketchiest motherfuckers in known space so of course they did.

Were they really able to smuggle bits of other Duncan’s out from under Leto IIs nose?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Alternate sequel series: After escaping from the trap of the evil space robots awakened face dancers Duncan realizes he is the only being able to put up any resistance. He founds an entire civilization based on gholas of himself to wage war against them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Xaintrailles posted:

Sun's more or less directly above so they're in the tropics. Admittedly, it's supposed to be a binary star so could be something odd going on.
Also the shadow angle changes with every cut in that clip.

It's filmed in Tunisia.

Which is a deal north of the Tropics.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well get him a robe then!
What if he likes being nude? Huh? Hadn't thought of that, had you!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

What if he likes being nude? Huh? Hadn't thought of that, had you!

He thinks about that all the time, actually.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
How big a hit will the Villeneuve movie(s) have to be for Warner Bros to go ahead and do movies of the sequel books? Like seriously, even if Dune parts 1 & 2 are massive critical successes and box office smashes I'm sure when the execs finally get around to reading (the précis prepared for them by their assistants of) Dune Messiah and Children of Dune they'll be thinking "Wow, this gets seriously weird.... maybe let's pass." It's hard to imagine even a really well done adaptation of the sequel books being a big success at the box office, even if it is loved by critics, fans of the books and art film types.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I doubt it will happen.

Tv series maybe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Absolutely no chance unless this is a LotR-esque success and probably not even then. Messiah is more like a coda to Dune than its own story, Children is an intermittently filmable story about two nine-year-olds, and God Emperor is bonkers on almost every level. My current reread has convinced me that the only other book in the series which could actually be developed into a coherent movie without doing a total hatchet job on it is Heretics, by which point we’re fully into sex weirds territory. Not to mention it’s basically completely its own thing and you’ll have not the slightest idea what’s going on if you skip there straight from Dune.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Messiah will be a post credits scene after Dune part 2. CoD will be turned into a 4 movie dystopian young adult shlock with laza tigers behind every corner and despotic Alia making pro fascist screeds, while the Preacher works behind the scenes to topple the regime from within.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want Chapterhouse with Judd Hirsch as the leader of the Space Jews

That kid from Room as young Miles Teg

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
God Emperor but every character is played by Gary Oldman.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WarMECH posted:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

WarMECH posted:

Hwi Noree and Duncan Idaho are Dead featuring Gary Oldman and Tim Roth.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

priznat posted:

I want Chapterhouse with Judd Hirsch as the leader of the Space Jews

That kid from Room as young Miles Teg

Philip Haldiman could probably pull off the bullet time. He already can do a hyperactive metabolism when he eats an entire apple between two camera cuts.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

Hwi Noree and Duncan Idaho are Dead featuring Gary Oldman and Tim Roth.

"It must be indicative of something, besides the redistribution of wealth"

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 10, 2019

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Guest starring Carrot Top as Spice Melange

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
My one hope is that the actor they get to play "Lovely" Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen (née Rabban) be so attractive that he makes straight men question their sexuality, akin to the Sting portrayal in the 1984 Lynch adaptation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Infinite Karma posted:

Hwi Noree and Duncan Idaho are Dead featuring Gary Oldman and J.D. Roth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Philip Haldiman could probably pull off the bullet time. He already can do a hyperactive metabolism when he eats an entire apple between two camera cuts.

Room, not The Room!! :haw:

:thejoke:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Done with Chapterhouse. Like Heretics, it wasn’t as bad as I remembered, but unlike Heretics, I don’t think it’s very good either. The Jews are really annoying caricatures (somehow I doubt they will be saying “oyy” in 15000 years) and way too much of the rest of the book is occupied by Duncan moping. Odrade and her cheerful attempts to outmaneuver the multiple orgasm empire and their cannibal cat people slaves every which way are the better part of the book and contains probably one of the more memorable scenes in the later series, namely Odrade having a subordinate rape a juvenile clone of her own dad to restore his memories for the greater good. She’s an entertaining character and it’s mildly lame that we don’t get to see her death from her own perspective. All she wanted was a nice gazebo.

The ending also underwhelms a bit. It’s not so much a cliffhanger as it is giving up before the denouement. Not looking forward to where Failson and Darksaber Guy took this in Hunters of Dune. I remember practically nothing about that book except that it used the word “whores” over 100 times, and never read Sandworms.

I have to say that I’m not at all convinced Herbert was intending the Honored Matres’ enemy to be super robots either. There’s very little which foreshadows anything such and it’s no surprise to me that Failson thought he needed to write a bunch of prequels about that before anyone would buy it. On the evidence of Heretics and Chapterhouse I think it’s fairly clear that the enemy was just autonomous face dancers of the upgraded soul-absorbing variety. Mostly I’m not convinced that the series was really going anywhere though. Call me a cynic but I don’t see a grand design in the Dune series, it’s more like Herbert writing whatever he felt like and then committing fairly strongly to exploring the consequences of it, regardless of what the result looked like. Hence the enormous differences between the various books, and the constant urge to top himself with weirder and weirder poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WarMECH posted:

My one hope is that the actor they get to play "Lovely" Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen (née Rabban) be so attractive that he makes straight men question their sexuality, akin to the Sting portrayal in the 1984 Lynch adaptation.

so Idris Elba

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:hmmyes:

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

WarMECH posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Including the wall

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

WarMECH posted:

God Emperor but EVERRRRRRYOOOOONE! is Gary Oldman.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

Including the wall

Gary Oldman having an orgasm watching Gary Oldman climb Gary Oldman while Gary Oldman watches on his motorised Gary Oldman

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I have no idea how reliable this site is but google news just gave me an article about a bene gesserit TV series being ordered
https://deadline.com/2019/06/dune-the-sisterhood-series-warnermedia-streaming-service-1202630479/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

I have no idea how reliable this site is but google news just gave me an article about a bene gesserit TV series being ordered
https://deadline.com/2019/06/dune-the-sisterhood-series-warnermedia-streaming-service-1202630479/

Looks legit, seeing it other places too like the verge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Gary Oldman having an orgasm watching Gary Oldman climb Gary Oldman while Gary Oldman watches on his motorised Gary Oldman

Doxxing our shameful homoerotic dreams

Shameful because Oldman is a chud

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

drunkill posted:

I doubt it will happen.

Tv series maybe.

Bistromatic posted:

Well look at that, only had to wait 8 hours.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drunkill posted:

Well look at that, only had to wait 8 hours.

Now doubt the possibility of a Dredd (2012) sequel with Karl Urban again!!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

Dune: The Sisterhood counts among its executive producers representatives from the Frank Herbert estate, and along with that star-studded 2020 movie (which, if all goes according to plan, will be the first of two Dune films), the series is a signal that Legendary Entertainment is planning to push ahead with what THR calls a “larger plan for Dune, which also includes video games, digital content packages and comic book series.”

Paradox, you know what you have to do...

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Zune: mp3 planet

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

Zune: mp3 wma planet

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

uber_stoat posted:

Paradox, you know what you have to do...

Crusader Jihadi Kings Dukes?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bistromatic posted:

Smart marketing. Warner going full platform with obscure book, capture the Handmaid's Tale audience

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bistromatic posted:

quote:

Villeneuve, who also is a co-writer on the upcoming Dune movie, and Spaihts will executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J Anderson will co-produce.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I started Heretics and I think it cemented the fact that I hate Duncan Idaho, his character sucks, and he is sapping my enjoyment of the series.

Dune: Does nothing, gets drunk and threatens Jessica, dies offscreen.
Messiah: Is a robot man, tries to kill the main character, awakens and does nothing.
Children: Is sad and confused the entire story, tries to kill himself, gets murdered by Stilgar.
God Emeperor: Is angry and confused and stupid the entire time, tries to murder Moneo because he sees two women kissing, climbs a wall.
Beginning of Heretics: Is confused and also a child.