Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BeastOfExmoor posted:

On the other hand the pricing scales surprisingly linearly. It's less than the cost of 2 3800X's and clocks even higher out of the box.

And that's why the 3800X exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The only reason I'd buy a 3800x is if it can overclock better, if it doesn't then I just cant justify the price increase

Friends don't let friends buy 3800x. If you want some room to overclock, get a drat 3900x and put a huge cooler on.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Friends don't let friends buy 3800x. If you want some room to overclock, get a drat 3900x and put a huge cooler on.

Or just a normal cooler, these aren't Intel parts.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
$750 feels like a reasonable price, but I think a lot of people who will consider it are going to do so for future-proofing reasons when they could instead get a 3800X or 3900X for the same immediate benefit and trade it in for a future 4950X before the extra cores would really matter.

I mean, it's a great chip for a home VM pod but are any games especially at 1440p+ going to care about the extra 8 cores in the next couple years?

Impressive overall though, I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing my X5660 with one of these.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 11, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ian Cutress over at Anandtech wrote up a deep dive on the Zen 2 uarch improvements.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
For home users, the 3600X, 3700X, and 3900X are the interesting ones. The 3600X and 3700X will be the value buys, and the 3900X, while the extra cores will be useless, may be a real beast for applications that benefit from the extra cache. The 3950X is just silly and I can't really see a point for anything shy of serious workstation use.

A big part of why they stomped Intel so hard in their benches is that they probably ran the Intel parts at 2666 since that's the "official" max ram speed, and given how they've been hyping up their memory controller I bet they went 4000+ on the Ryzen parts.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
DDR4-3733 will probably be the best for gaming due to latency.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lowen SoDium posted:

A couple of PCIe questions:

Have they shown any kind of block diagram of how the PCIe lanes connect to the CPU cores? Do they go to the CPU chiplets or to the memory controller die?

I saw that they are going to be 16+4+4 lanes: graphics slot, M.2 slot, and mobo chipset/peripherals. Can PCIe 4.0 run in mixed mode? ie: Can you use a 3.0 GPU and a 4.0 M.2 drive at the same time at their native speeds?

Can't answer question one, but for the second one, yes. Backwards compatibility is baked in to all PCIe devices since the 2.1 spec onwards, but you might run into some issues running on a mobo with PCIe 1.0/1.1 (and 1.1), but you should be able to run anything on a 2.0 board or later. You'll lose performance, however.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Are there very many gaming situations where memory latency matters more than memory bandwidth?

Those numbers look like at least 3200-3733 is comparable to 2nd-gen+3200CL14 latency.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lowen SoDium posted:

A couple of PCIe questions:

Have they shown any kind of block diagram of how the PCIe lanes connect to the CPU cores? Do they go to the CPU chiplets or to the memory controller die?

I saw that they are going to be 16+4+4 lanes: graphics slot, M.2 slot, and mobo chipset/peripherals. Can PCIe 4.0 run in mixed mode? ie: Can you use a 3.0 GPU and a 4.0 M.2 drive at the same time at their native speeds?

edit:

apropos of nothing: drat, that's a loving rock.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 11, 2019

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

apropos of nothing: drat, that's a loving rock.

Hell yeah, this is now a Lisas finger rock discussion thread.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I guess AMD really had a chip on its shoulder with Source engined games being highly Intel-optimized.

I’m going to assume that’s stock vs stock and Zen 2 is using an advanced form of XFR, so the 9900KS will likely keep the lead when both CPUs are overclocked. There is little doubt that the Ryzen will be the better buy overall though. Nice!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Unfortunately, that picture doesn't show if the PCIe lanes go to the CCX chiplets or to the memcontroller. I am curious how PCIe bandwidth works on the CPUs with more than one CCX die.

Also, that image is misleading/wrong. It shows the 4x chipset downlink on both sides of the CPU.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 11, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

incoherent posted:

Hell yeah, this is now a Lisas finger rock discussion thread.

She should really get it rebuilt on a newer node.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lowen SoDium posted:

Unfortunately, that picture doesn't show if the PCIe lanes go to the CCX chiplets or to the memcontroller. I am curious how PCIe bandwidth works on the CPUs with more than one CCX die.

Also, that image is misleading/wrong. It shows the 4x chipset downlink on both sides of the CPU.

Based on slides that we've seen regarding Rome-based EPYC CPUS, the PCIe links hang off the IO die.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lowen SoDium posted:

Everything goes to the IO die. The CPU dies themselves have a single IF connection each to the IO die, and nothing else. Including no direct connection to each other.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

She should really get it rebuilt on a newer node.

I can currently only afford a 7nm diamond

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there any CPU conference scheduled in Fall yet? I needs me some new Threadrippers.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any CPU conference scheduled in Fall yet? I needs me some new Threadrippers.

https://www.amd.com/en/event-listing

You might get some announcements at Supercomputing or SIGGRAPH but more likely about Rome and GPUs, respectively. I guess maybe they'll tack on Threadripper, seems unlikely though if they skipped mentioning it at Computex. I have no experience with the other two conferences but if someone announces something notable at the HP Enterprise one I'll eat my shorts.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
It's not listed there but they have a keynote at Hot Chips in August as well.

http://www.hotchips.org/program/

quote:

1:45 PM – 2:45 PM: Keynote 1: “Delivering the Future of High-Performance Computing with System, Software and Silicon Co-Optimization” by Dr. Lisa Su, CEO, AMD

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

MaxxBot posted:

DDR4-3733 will probably be the best for gaming due to latency.

Hopefully someone will do a comprehensive gaming benchmark of Zen 2 including running different memory speeds and timings.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
that 70mb cache tho... the bump to 70mb may actually counter whatever impact cross-die latency has, for most practical purposes. Seems like the 3900X is a pretty solid value leader there. Still not sure about gaming when using 24+ threads (too bad nobody does AOTS anymore) but if it doesn't edge out in front it'll be close enough anyway.

That would have been crazy back in the Monero days... 2mb per thread = 35 parallel monero threads. The days of Opteron barnburners are definitely over.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 11, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

K8.0 posted:

The 3950X is just silly and I can't really see a point for anything shy of serious workstation use.

Room full of spark nodes and/or kubelets, for cheap

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

Ian Cutress over at Anandtech wrote up a deep dive on the Zen 2 uarch improvements.

Very interesting slide here: sweet spot for RAM will be ~3600 MHz

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lube banjo posted:

Very interesting slide here: sweet spot for RAM will be ~3600 MHz

Will most previous gen motherboards support that kind of speed?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Once again, I'm glad I bought nice ram (b die) that should clock up to 3733.

Any chance of decent Matx boards this time around?

Sininu posted:

Will most previous gen motherboards support that kind of speed?

Doubt it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why 3600C16+, when 3200C14 will do fine according to that slide?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm assuming this is about more bandwidth, and recent pricing meaning that you don't start paying a huge price premium until 3733 or higher.

This is so many cores to keep fed. Go back a couple years and you've got quad channel RAM on 8C parts, and now dual channel has to keep up with 16C.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Because bandwidth is really important.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Once again, I'm glad I bought nice ram (b die) that should clock up to 3733.

Any chance of decent Matx boards this time around?

Doubt it.
B-die is going out of production, sadly.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
According to Paul's Hardware, the benchmarks AMD showed off at E3 were done with all the Spectre/Meltdown/etc. mitigations disabled and on Windows 10 1809 which doesn't have the Ryzen scheduler improvements from 1903:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzV24ZqrJ4s&t=394s

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

B-die is going out of production, sadly.

samsung is replacing it with something, so i expect the next memory they will also be super good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

People have been doing 3600 CL18 with Zen+, I don't think it's crazy that Zen2 might be able to do 3600 CL16 with the new faster memory kits. But probably only with 2 sticks populated.

Combat Pretzel posted:

That slide shows latency, while bandwidth would be a straight line going up.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So if I have 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 (on my Ryzen 2600X), would that be a problem or something if I ever wanted to go up to a 3700/3800/3900X ? Or is one of those "yeah you'll lose 1% of actual real-life performance, don't sweat it" situations?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Because bandwidth is really important.
I suppose I get it a bit easier, with what wanting to upgrade a Threadripper. Improved latency across the board (severely reduced maximum latency), and proper quad channel this time instead of the 2x dual channel.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

sincx posted:

The only reasonably priced 16GBx2 3600 kits I can find are CL19.

I wonder what'll end up being better for overall performance--latency or bandwidth.

We can probably extrapolate off Epyc and the new Rome stuff. Epyc was 1 channel for every 4 cores @2666 and did not seem to be bandwidth limited. Rome is going to double that to 1 channel per 8 cores @3200 so only a moderate 20% frequency bump while doubling the addressed cores so there must be a fair amount of memory bandwidth available on the vast majority of workloads. They'd be adding in more memory channels if it wasn't. I'd venture a guess that even with a 16 core dual-chiplet Zen2 chip you'd be better off with 3733 and the higher IF frequency. You're dealing with higher core clocks on the desktop processors but the ram is also clocked faster and I suspect those will about balance each other out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Klyith posted:

People have been doing 3600 CL18 with Zen+, I don't think it's crazy that Zen2 might be able to do 3600 CL16 with the new faster memory kits. But probably only with 2 sticks populated.

Mine won't do it, hoping zen2 does with a 570 board.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm finally getting into that AnandTech article, and this is really interesting especially for VM nerds (I'm still new to virtualization, so I'm not sure how much this will impress other folks):

AnandTech posted:

As with Intel’s implementation, when a series of VMs is allocated onto a system on top of a hypervisor, the hypervisor can control how much memory bandwidth and cache that each VM has access to. If a mission critical 8-core VM requires access to 64 MB of L3 and at least 30 GB/s of memory bandwidth, the hypervisor can control that the priority VM will always have access to that amount, and either eliminate it entirely from the pool for other VMs, or intelligently restrict the requirements as the mission critical VM bursts into full access.

Intel only enables this feature on its Xeon Scalable processors, however AMD will enable it up and down its Zen 2 processor family range, for consumers and enterprise users.

This is super cool, and it makes even higher-end Ryzen processors pretty great for virtualization, since that's an awesome use for all those cores. I'm extra excited for Threadripper for workstation builds & SFF NAS builds. Not needing to find the space for a 1U cabinet or anything is super helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr.Radar posted:

According to Paul's Hardware, the benchmarks AMD showed off at E3 were done with all the Spectre/Meltdown/etc. mitigations disabled and on Windows 10 1809 which doesn't have the Ryzen scheduler improvements from 1903:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzV24ZqrJ4s&t=394s

Oh wow, more specifically, BOTH systems were done without hyperthreading mitigations. So on a fully-updated bench rig, Intel perf is only going to go down, and Ryzen perf should only go up, making the gaps even wider.

Talk about a kicking a man when he's down.