Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kefkafloyd posted:

Hey all,

I asked mods if it would be all right to share this. A few months ago some of the guys on the Ars Technica mac forum (and myself) started putting together a bi-weekly Apple/Mac podcast because we were tired of all the other ones out there. Aside from talking about the recent stuff, we have a specific topic for each episode where we go into detail on something like retro Apple, or topics of interest to power users. My cohost also does an every episode segment about HomeKit where he reviews stuff and talks about improving automated home setups. We just posted our big WWDC keynote special so I figured it would be a good time to see if goons would like it as well.

It's called the Icon Garden and the RSS is http://icongardenshow.libsyn.com/rss . There's also Overcast and Apple Podcasts and such.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Always wanted a decent Apple podcast.
Welcome To Macintosh is OK but I think the guy stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

"3840x2160 at 30Hz (HDMI)"

Yeah looks like you want to avoid HDMI on that one. Most monitors today have HDMI 2.0 that does full 4k 60hz though.

thanks!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
For anyone who's curious, I'm listening to the WWDC session about the new hardware driver APIs. The summary is that Apple is trying to move several classes of kernel extensions to "system" extensions.

KEXTs run inside the kernel and are therefore inherently potential security / stability / performance problems. Writing and debugging KEXTs is hard, much harder than writing application code.

System Extensions are based on new APIs which allow some classes of KEXT to be rewritten as userspace processes, where they cannot access all the computer's memory, crash the system by doing something slightly wrong, accidentally create a gaping security hole due to a minor coding mistake, and so forth.

Catalina will have System Extension APIs for USB, serial, and network interfaces. They mentioned that support for other classes of devices will come in future macOS releases, and said that we can expect post-Catalina releases to start removing KEXT based support for device classes that have had System Extension APIs long enough to see developer adoption. (Catalina will still support all Kernel Extension classes.)

They're not just doing this for device drivers, but also for other types of software that currently require KEXTs, such as third party antivirus and security software. (Which is great news. gently caress trusting AV software vendors to write KEXTs, they're the absolute worst.)

Thread relevant and notably absent: any discussion of whether System Extensions will cover things like GPU drivers any time soon. USB/serial/network are relatively low performance devices where the overhead of doing the driver in userspace usually doesn't matter. It's probably much harder to push GPU drivers out of the kernel. I would expect that for some time to come, GPU drivers will still need to be KEXTs, and therefore still need to be signed etc.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Apologies if this a commonly asked question but I've gone back a few pages and not seen anything so:

What are my best options for modest gaming on Mac?

I've got a 2015 MBP at the minute with onboard graphics. It's fine for anything casual, but anything more advanced than that is basically impossible. I'm definitely not looking to play triple A games here, but even something moderate like Artifact or Firewatch isn't really doable.

Would the Radeon in a 21" retina iMac be enough? I know these aren't really gaming graphics cards but if they're 'good enough' that's fine.

And any experience with eGPU? It all seems like a bit of a faff and probably much easier if I'd got a newer MBP with USB 3.

eames
May 9, 2009

Major Ryan posted:

What are my best options for modest gaming on Mac?

Build a separate budget gaming PC or buy a laptop on sale with a Pascal GPU or a 1650. Treat that as a gaming console.
For casual/not input lag sensitive games you can use Steam in-home streaming or Parsec to steam to your MBP or even iPad.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

eames posted:

Build a separate budget gaming PC or buy a laptop on sale with a Pascal GPU or a 1650. Treat that as a gaming console.

It's depressing that this is the correct answer. I'd really rather not bother with having to run another machine and/or janitor a windows machine but it's by far the cheapest and most sensible option.

quote:

For casual/not input lag sensitive games you can use Steam in-home streaming or Parsec to steam to your MBP or even iPad.

Yeah, actually not thought about this. Might be an interesting option. I guess if I hold out long enough something like Stadia might work too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Top spec iMac 21" with Vega BTO option should suffice.

But I'm sad to say you'd be better off with a Hackintosh or separate PC.

eames
May 9, 2009

Major Ryan posted:

Yeah, actually not thought about this. Might be an interesting option. I guess if I hold out long enough something like Stadia might work too.

I meant stream not steam but yeah, it works much better than one might initially expect. I was going to mention Stadia but we don't know how well it really works and if your internet connection would allow that.
Having Pascal or Turing for low latency hardware encoding via NVENC is key, though Vega drivers might have improved. The nice thing about streaming is that your client machine stays silent and cool while you get solid 60FPS.
I used to stream to my 2015 MBP from time to time and it worked very well with everything but latency sensitive shooters like Overwatch. You really want a high refresh rate panel for that anyway.

There's some hope that the gaming on macOS situation will improve in the future (Apple Arcade, big Intel iGPU improvements, 7nm dGPUs) but for now a second windows machine is the way to go.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'd like to think that Apple will eventually - now that they're back on board with the notion of allowing tower PCs to exist - just make a regular Mac, to sit between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro, that can just be a nice but slightly smaller tower, perhaps even with the old cheesegrater front, that can hold a nice i7 or something, a single one of those modules set up with a single, powerful GPU, and one or two extra PCIe slots, and like dual memory channels with four DIMMs. I don't think people would even mind if there was some Apple Tax on this thing, even if they're just going to bootcamp it, because it'll probably still represent better value than a maxed out Mini and an eGPU.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Apple will never make a non-Pro upgradable PC. We're exceedingly lucky they made another Mini. At some point in the not-so-distant future they'll switch from Intel to their ARM chips, which will probably allow them to make everything even smaller and less upgradable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Apple will never make a non-Pro upgradable PC. We're exceedingly lucky they made another Mini. At some point in the not-so-distant future they'll switch from Intel to their ARM chips, which will probably allow them to make everything even smaller and less upgradable.

I don’t see them replacing the Pro line with ARM chips so I don’t see them splitting the laptops and iMacs up either

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I don’t see them replacing the Pro line with ARM chips so I don’t see them splitting the laptops and iMacs up either

That's the problem, what do they do with pro and business users after they switch from Intel? Unless they can run a pretty fast x64 virtualization, they'll need to maintain both platforms.

I think we're going to end up with a business/pro line and then ARM everywhere else. The MBA and Mini will be replaced by an iPad and an external monitor dongle.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The ARM chips are going to be more impressive than you think, and 90% of their pro machines are thermal throttled down to less than pro levels anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

American McGay posted:

... and 90% of their pro machines are thermal throttled down to less than pro levels anyway.

Lol, what? Are you referring the i9 problem they had that got fixed with a firmware update?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I was on eBay late last night and impulse bought a g4 12 PowerBook in great condition for $50. My question is anyone have a guide to upgrading it’s hard drive to an ssd? Also, a good place to buy a new battery or two? It’s cool as a writing (offline) machine at coffee shops I figure. (Like a type writer but less annoying and new hipster).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

American McGay posted:

The ARM chips are going to be more impressive than you think, and 90% of their pro machines are thermal throttled down to less than pro levels anyway.

Yeah, the current A12X has a TDP of 7W. If they made it with a TDP of even 14W it would be an absolute monster. Well, it already IS a monster, but it would be laughably fast.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

So I was on eBay late last night and impulse bought a g4 12 PowerBook in great condition for $50. My question is anyone have a guide to upgrading it’s hard drive to an ssd? Also, a good place to buy a new battery or two? It’s cool as a writing (offline) machine at coffee shops I figure. (Like a type writer but less annoying and new hipster).

The main issue is that it uses a PATA drive, so I think OWC is the only place to get an ssd and it won’t be all that fast. I’m sure you can find a replacement guide at ifixit. It shouldn’t be too hard.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LionArcher posted:

Just get an mSATA to IDE adapter and then a serviceable mSATA like the Samsung 850. Wouldn't trust any IDE/PATA drives as they're slowly being phased out.

Newer Technology batteries are your best bet among the five zillion battery vendors.

Hope you won't mind the occasional gawker with the "why so thick" comments..

Might also want to get a spare AC adapter or two..

Also might want to get an 802.11n or 802.11ac adapter that still has OSX 10.4/5 support as the built in 802.11b/g might be too primitive for some places (as well as being inherently insecure)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 9, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Just get an mSATA to IDE adapter and then a serviceable mSATA like the Samsung 850. Wouldn't trust any IDE/PATA drives as they're slowly being phased out.

Newer Technology batteries are your best bet among the five zillion battery vendors.

Hope you won't mind the occasional gawker with the "why so thick" comments..

Might also want to get a spare AC adapter or two..

Also might want to get an 802.11n or 802.11ac adapter that still has OSX 10.4/5 support as the built in 802.11b/g might be too primitive for some places (as well as being inherently insecure)

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the adapter and an ssd will run me just shy of a hundred. Newer technology’s batteries no longer have the g4 PowerBook in stock... as for the wireless I’ll plug into Ethernet at home to get everything up and running (photoshop 7 and final draft 7 anyone?) and then out and about no wireless. It will be a straight up typewriter basically. (I’m only throwing an ssd in there for boot time and putting a lot of music on there because why not).

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 9, 2019

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

LionArcher posted:

How handy are you with soldering irons and other tools? G4 PowerBook batteries consist of a bunch of standard 18650 Li-Ion cells and a controller board inside a plastic case. New 18650 cells are easy to get, so you can rebuild the battery pack to brand new capacity.

These days a rebuild may be the only option. I can't imagine anyone's making new batteries for any G4 model, and any new old stock you can find is going to be just as flat even if it's still sealed in its original box because lithium ion battery chemistries, especially from that time, don't last more than 5 years from date of manufacture (if that much).

(If I was going to do it, I'd ebay a second battery and do that one first.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

asinine product idea: a kit to mount a Mac mini logic board in an ATX case, with a TB3–>PCIe breakout board.
Why do that when you can just stick the Mac mini in an eGPU :v:
https://egpu.io/external-gpu-desktop-mac-mini-r9-fury-x/

Gyshall posted:

Just started a new job and I'm using a MacBook pro 2017 model.

Any recommendations on how I can reduce the amount of dongles? I need two monitors (HDMI or displayport) and Ethernet.

Bonus points if it's portable as I'll be traveling often.
CalDigit has portable dual HDMI or DP ones w/ethernet...but no power:

http://shop.caldigit.com/us/Docking%20Stations/Thunderbolt%20Station%203?product_id=163
http://shop.caldigit.com/us/Docking%20Stations/Thunderbolt%20Station%203?product_id=164

There’s USB-C ones that do dual display too but I don’t think Apple supports them (specifically DP multi stream transport) for whatever reason still. There’s various TB3 docks and I’m sure a few do dual display, albeit might be like 1 HDMI, 1 DP or USB-C/TB passthrough for video, but I think the more elaborate ones might require a power brick, so not as portable use friendly I imagine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wow, they want to move the system folder to its own protected partition too, guess they wanna make it super hard to modify the system in Catalina, starting to look like Windows..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dosdude isn't doing a patcher for the catalina wine mixer?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nope, he says on MacRumors forums that 1- it's a lot of work, 2 it's super hard to get Catalina to run on non Metal GPUs and frankly the experience would suck running unaccelerated.

He does say he is going to work on Catalina patches but they're not going to work as smoothly as the previous OSes did.

Think of how comically slow your Mac runs in safe mode, especially 5K iMacs, now imagine that as the default speed everything runs in even with the full system loaded.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 11, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The three people left with 2011 MacBooks that still work are gonna be pissed

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That new 15" 8-core i9 is an rear end-kicker

https://barefeats.com/rmbp-2019-vs-2018.html

There's a $200, + .2GHz model above that one too

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What a shame that Adobe PhotoSlop doesn't really improve too much, diminishing returns after 5 cores..

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/

Basically they tell you stick with a quad-core or hexacore if you're only going to do PhotoShop.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

The three people left with 2011 MacBooks that still work are gonna be pissed

Only I could find out my 2011 Air isn’t supported by the current OS this way.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Wow, they want to move the system folder to its own protected partition too, guess they wanna make it super hard to modify the system in Catalina, starting to look like Windows..

Like windows how?

I need to revisit that wwdc session video, wasn’t paying close enough attention, but what I remember the speaker talking about is that it’s a newer betterer way of implementing SIP, which has already been preventing users from writing to /System for some time. It’s not quite a separate partition btw, they’re taking advantage of the APFS capability to have multiple volumes share one disk partition.

The stuff I’m kinda vague on: he was talking about the new-for-Catalina system software update process and I think it sounded like they were going to lean on APFS multi volume technology quite a bit to make the process less complicated and more reliable. Probably something like creating a new volume for the upgraded /System, setting it up, then switching which /System is the active one. There was something in there about a new category of links, firm links, to allow such a switchover to be easy and clean.

Something else in that talk that you should like: they’re (finally) making diskutil restore aware of APFS volumes and snapshots. You will be able to do things like diskutil restore a specific volume snapshot from one APFS partition to a different APFS partition, with a choice between overwriting an existing volume in the target or creating a new one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
What's New in Apple File Systems is the relevant session.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/710/

One benefit of both the snapshots and the new method of creating /System is that we'll FINALLY get rollbacks for system updates without having to do a reinstall.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

That new 15" 8-core i9 is an rear end-kicker

https://barefeats.com/rmbp-2019-vs-2018.html

There's a $200, + .2GHz model above that one too

Christ how big is the sample image that it takes 177 seconds to enlarge to 400%?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Christ how big is the sample image that it takes 177 seconds to enlarge to 400%?

He doesn’t specify anywhere that I can find, but from the program’s homepage:

quote:

PhotoZoom Pro 7 not only creates larger images than any other software (up to 1 million by 1 million pixels), it also produces higher quality results.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Binary Badger posted:

What a shame that Adobe PhotoSlop doesn't really improve too much, diminishing returns after 5 cores..

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/

Basically they tell you stick with a quad-core or hexacore if you're only going to do PhotoShop.

Considering the completely ground-up rebuild of Photoshop is being released later this year, I wouldn't discount more cores making a big difference in the next 3-5 months.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Noticed 2015 rMBP on Apple Canada refurbished today. Bought one for work and one for home to replace my dying 2012.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Noticed 2015 rMBP on Apple Canada refurbished today. Bought one for work and one for home to replace my dying 2012.

They’re on the US store as well. Seems like a lot of money for a 2015 though.

On a related note, would Apple still repair a delaminating screen on a 2015? For free?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

Possibly. Within 4 years of the original purchase date.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did the MacBook Pro get a spec bump last week?

Wife needs a new MBP, Costco is selling a "2.3GHz" i5 13.3" one while the Apple Store is selling 2.4GHz models as base. I would just wait from Apple but the configurations I like (512 SSD) aren't available for a week. If there was a bump it complicates my wait, although 100MHz by itself probably isn't much to worry about. Still wish 16GB models were more prevalent from any retailer, though.

finally :rip: my 2013 air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hed posted:

Did the MacBook Pro get a spec bump last week?

Wife needs a new MBP, Costco is selling a "2.3GHz" i5 13.3" one while the Apple Store is selling 2.4GHz models as base. I would just wait from Apple but the configurations I like (512 SSD) aren't available for a week. If there was a bump it complicates my wait, although 100MHz by itself probably isn't much to worry about. Still wish 16GB models were more prevalent from any retailer, though.

finally :rip: my 2013 air.

The 2018 13" Pro was a 2.3, the 2019 is a 2.4. The turbo increased from 3.8 to 4.1 as well.

So yes, there was a spec bump. But make sure the one you are looking at isn't a 2017 model (only dual core) or nontouchbar (also dual core and slower than the touchbar dual core)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Adoramo has the 13" (2.4GHz 16GB 512GB) Silver for $100 less than Apple so that might be worth looking into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/11/broadcom-renews-rf-chip-supply-deal-with-apple-for-two-more-years

Apple just renewed its agreement with Broadcom for WiFi, trackpad controllers, other parts.

Good, maybe we might also see the return of the Airport Extreeeeeeeeeme with their own Velop-like answer. Maybe.