Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

This Nomura guy sounds like an interesting talent, can we get him to work on another FF title? Say the FF7 remake?

I'm sorry he may make a character's breasts slightly less improbably large and thus ruin the game forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Argas posted:

They're constructs that are powered/animated/whatever by white magic.

It's possible they the Amdapori somehow encountered sin eaters and built them based off them? Alternatively, they just enslaved sin eaters so well that everyone thought they were constructs.

I would find it very hard to believe that somehow Amdapori constructs and sin eaters are not related given that two of the sin eaters shown in the trailer show up in Amdapor (the winged valkyrie and the crowned lion).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

homeless snail posted:

Important to remember Maybe the Hydaelyn version of tempering is just warrior-of-lighting, idk

As far as that goes, I think you stick with the word we have as others have said. The fire dude tempers, the water dude drowns, it's all fairly to the point. So the trans-dimensional entity that creates other worlds? Echoes.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
In a surprise twist, we find out the First has actually been invaded by the Chin Eaters, a race of neckbeards so prodigious they have achieved sentience ... and hunger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

In a surprise twist, we find out the First has actually been invaded by the Chin Eaters, a race of neckbeards so prodigious they have achieved sentience ... and hunger.

Oh, so that is why the players now have access to The First.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mulva posted:

As far as that goes, I think you stick with the word we have as others have said. The fire dude tempers, the water dude drowns, it's all fairly to the point. So the trans-dimensional entity that creates other worlds? Echoes.
Yeah but my point is the sahagin priest definitely had the echo and was presumably also drowned, and as far as we know not every other drowned sahagin has echo-like abilities. Its implied ascians have the echo or something like it, also. Everything we've seen seems to say they're not the same thing.

Maybe the echo is just like, the chosen among the tempered, the cream of the crop

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 11, 2019

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Badger of Basra posted:

I would find it very hard to believe that somehow Amdapori constructs and sin eaters are not related given that two of the sin eaters shown in the trailer show up in Amdapor (the winged valkyrie and the crowned lion).

Just like the Mhachi reached out to the voidsent for new magics it's very likely the Amdapori were out there looking for an edge.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's always been tweaks here and there. Like the existence of Shiva, or how Odin works. I mean we have a Primal that did the mind whammy on another Primal. There aren't so much strict rules as guidelines to how this all works.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Veev posted:

Just like the Mhachi reached out to the voidsent for new magics it's very likely the Amdapori were out there looking for an edge.

Although that would bring up a lot of weird time nonsense questions if the First has only been like this for 100 years.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

itskage posted:

Yes... but also I have no idea who. I was running around like this:

But my friend saw and linked me to a pick of that character and said I should do that, so I changed it. But I have no idea how who that was.

Sunset Gemini or something like that?

Gemini Sunrise, from Sakura Wars, I imagine.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Elentor posted:

As Papalymo said, the rules are extremely loose and it was never clear and cut to figure out what is what, part of the original campaign was people slowly realizing that every time they established how Primals worked something unusual would happen. I just always assumed that Hydaelyn was like the Idea of Evil in Berserk and all the other thoughtforms and manifestations, including the ones that were born in realms, realities and dimensions outside its domain were still bound by causality and the rules it establishes to an extent, with people becoming Godlike entities, serving as its emissaries and heralds to a certain extent. It's a common theme and one that seemed to be the only logical endgame in my head.

I never played 1.0 but the first moment I heard people talk about the tempering I was like "Oh okay, so that ominous presentation I had in the opening with Hydaelyn telling me about how I'm the chosen one was probably my tempering, it goes with people not remembering anything before it as well."

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up revealing the Echo is just the nice Primals' way of tempering you and being subtle about it.

Me from a year ago:

Algid posted:

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am Hydaelyn; the eternal will of the Lifestream, and that you have been created to serve me.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Just from the Resonant stuff we know that the Echo is like control of the soul. We can jump into other people's souls to see their memories, we can see other people's souls to understand them without knowing their language and see what they're going to do before they do it, and at the extreme end the Ascians have enough control that they can exist as just a soul without dispersing into the lifestream. Primals "souls" are so powerful they can taint other people's soul" and take control of them, but primals themselves are just constructs built out of a whole lot of crystals and given "soul" by the prayers of the ones summoning them. So, if you have more control of the "soul" than them you can completely override the will they were summoned with your own will, which we see with Phoenix and again with Shinryu. They've said a lot about what the echo is and does but it's still super vague.

It's been presented as something completely personal some souls just have. It is associated with the Ascians and the Warriors of Light, like Tenzen, so it could also be something both Hydaelyn and Zodiark have influence on.

Badger of Basra posted:

Although that would bring up a lot of weird time nonsense questions if the First has only been like this for 100 years.

The sin eaters could just happen on a smaller scale to whoever gets completely overtaken by light. The trailer did directly mention Urianger peering into the future, I wouldn't put it past the Amdapori to accidentally get a glimpse to the future and decide the sin eaters were rad.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm wondering where's the hype for the second MSQ "primal" fight of the expansion. They were released in pairs previously, with Ravana/Bismarck and Lakshmi/Susano, but so far I only have seen Titania advertised as a "primal" fight for this expansion (excluding the end bosses which were also primals, but you get my meaning). Wonder if there's just not going to be a second, or if it's a spoiler?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The 2nd Primal is Innocence

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
The new trailer had a sneak peak of Innocence, including their LB.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Ah yeah that is it. I guess I was close with the name.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Badger of Basra posted:

Wasn't that bit set under not-Limsa?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I didn't recognize that, but I stand corrected. Must've just flown over my head somehow, since now I seem to recall seeing something like that in slides.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 11, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Allarion posted:

The 2nd Primal is Innocence

Fun fact: Innocence is the name of the main bad guy of the first half of Path of Exile, a game who's story shares a few similarities with FF14's.

Innocence in POE is a god of light who resides in the body of the high templar of Oriath, a theocratic fascist nation and the last known civilization in the world after an apocalyptic event 100 years ago. When you kill him, it unleashes a number of forgotten, primal gods upon the world, and it's your job to kill them if you have to. Maybe even if you don't.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The WoL is not tempered you clowns

The Echo and the Blessing of Light aka Hydaelyn’s favor are explicitly two different things. We had the former before the latter and we haven’t had the latter in a long rear end time remember?

Furthermore, the Ascians are also Echo wielders and they nudge the balance back and forth between Hydaelyn and Zodiark as they please.

The mystery of what the Echo is is probably central to the truth behind how exactly the world was sundered in the first place, possibly even a byproduct of breaking reality. But it is not tempering.

What you should be asking yourself is, if Hydaelyn and Zodiark are primals then who summoned them, why, and HOW?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: Innocence is the name of the main bad guy of the first half of Path of Exile, a game who's story shares a few similarities with FF14's.

Innocence in POE is a god of light who resides in the body of the high templar of Oriath, a theocratic fascist nation and the last known civilization in the world after an apocalyptic event 100 years ago. When you kill him, it unleashes a number of forgotten, primal gods upon the world, and it's your job to kill them if you have to. Maybe even if you don't.

Killing The Beast is what unleashed all the gods, killing Innocence is what unleashes Kitava. A cool parallel would be something like Zodiark is actually like the Beast, in that its purpose is to keep all the primals asleep so they don't wreck everything. Maybe Crystal Mom got mad about that so she split everything into shards to be free from Zodiark's control.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, thinking about the First, and pondering the Eden raid and how it may be connected to FF8/Ultimecia, it'd be neat to see if we get expansion on her backstory if Eden does turn out to be ff8 related, especially if it links up with First stuff.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Argas posted:

Wasn't that bit set under not-Limsa?

Both also show up in Amadapor Hard

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Captain Oblivious posted:

The WoL is not tempered you clowns

The Echo and the Blessing of Light aka Hydaelyn’s favor are explicitly two different things. We had the former before the latter and we haven’t had the latter in a long rear end time remember?

Furthermore, the Ascians are also Echo wielders and they nudge the balance back and forth between Hydaelyn and Zodiark as they please.

The mystery of what the Echo is is probably central to the truth behind how exactly the world was sundered in the first place, possibly even a byproduct of breaking reality. But it is not tempering.

What you should be asking yourself is, if Hydaelyn and Zodiark are primals then who summoned them, why, and HOW?

We regained the Blessing of Light near the end of Heavensward.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We regained the Blessing of Light near the end of Heavensward.

yeah this. the echo is a separate thing but us being tempered is really foreshadowed

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if Midgardsormr will have any part to play in all of this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jimbot posted:

I wonder if Midgardsormr will have any part to play in all of this.

Did you do the Omega quests?

He exhausted his life force to safe us after Sigmascape. He's not dead, but I think he's written out of the story for a long time.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It is relevant to bring him up in this discussion given he is clearly on some level of peerage with Hydaelyn, and his protection/sanction can function just as well as the Blessing of Light. One wonders whether the only reason Ysayle never created any Tempered was because everyone in a position to be Frozen by her had already taken dragon blood and was immune. There’s no guarantee that a species alien to this planet has the same “frequency” that would allow for control in the same way. Even though dragons have summoned primals, they’ve never really been overtly controlled by those primals either. Bahamut’s faithful are either acting under neurolink duress or were made feral by millenia of captivity, and the remaining Nidhogg loyalists probably just couldn’t let go of the grudge.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Welp, we gotta kill us a Momcrystal.

spoiler

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

OneDeadman posted:

Both also show up in Amadapor Hard

Yeah but I mean that the ones in Amdapor may not be sin eaters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Did you do the Omega quests?

He exhausted his life force to safe us after Sigmascape. He's not dead, but I think he's written out of the story for a long time.

Alpha will show up in his place confusing everyone but the WoL

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

lol

but actually *frowny face, punch hands, thumbs down*

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

okay I just finished Alexander and A12 is absolutely one of the most :allears: things I have ever seen in this game.

Also, what's the best way to find a static raid group in this game? I had to quit my raid team in WoW a while before I quit WoW altogether due to work, but it turns out at my job I now pretty consistently have tuesday/wednesday off, so I'd like to find a group that raids on those days on Crystal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Isn't it right around when Midgardsormr stripped the Blessing of Light from us that the WoL suddenly started being more proactive and getting dialogue options? :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I think I realized one way they can tie all this back into our journey on the Source -

Ascians can't really be killed. Well, they can, but it requires a gently caress ton of aether and a white auracite. Neither of which are easy had on hand majority of the time.

In that trailer today, they mention with the Sin Eaters that "for each we have put down, another has risen in its place born of the self-same aether."

That certainly sounds a lot like Ascians to me.

My theory: through the story of Shadowbringers, we're going to come up with a way to easily and efficiently kill Sin Eaters, permanently. And if it works for those, it'll probably work wonders on Ascians.

So after we solve the problems on the first..... we feastin'!

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi

somepartsareme posted:

the new raid is called "eden" and has characters designed by tetsuya nomura. ff8 had "eden" designed by tetsuya nomura. huge if true

hell yeah good enough for me

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

justblais posted:

hell yeah good enough for me
I'm excited for our new friend Gaia

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

So I think I realized one way they can tie all this back into our journey on the Source -

Ascians can't really be killed. Well, they can, but it requires a gently caress ton of aether and a white auracite. Neither of which are easy had on hand majority of the time.

In that trailer today, they mention with the Sin Eaters that "for each we have put down, another has risen in its place born of the self-same aether."

That certainly sounds a lot like Ascians to me.

My theory: through the story of Shadowbringers, we're going to come up with a way to easily and efficiently kill Sin Eaters, permanently. And if it works for those, it'll probably work wonders on Ascians.

So after we solve the problems on the first..... we feastin'!

Why are you spoilering your fan theory

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Why are you spoilering your fan theory
In case it turns out to be right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Alphinaud has been a primal this whole time. The Crystal Braves was his first attempt at tempering people and he failed at it. He's going to succeed in Shadowbringers. Believe it Dattebayo.