Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Y'all they hired Yoko Taro, not that Lisa game guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
As always, that dril tweet is prescient.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=20

Honestly, if the WoL is actually tempered, I kinda hope they break out my favorite plot twist ever in a JRPG, the ending of Panzer Dragoon Saga. The Divine Visitor that's been guiding Edge, or who tempered the WoL in FF XIV's case? The one whose every command is followed exactly, who's literally responsible for the character's existence? It was the player all along, complete with your actual name getting pulled from the save file in PDS's case. It'll never happen unless Yoshi-P gets into some LSD or they hire Shigesato Itoi or Yukio Futatsugi or some other auteur game designer, but I can dream.

SirSamVimes posted:

okay I just finished Alexander and A12 is absolutely one of the most :allears: things I have ever seen in this game.

Also, what's the best way to find a static raid group in this game? I had to quit my raid team in WoW a while before I quit WoW altogether due to work, but it turns out at my job I now pretty consistently have tuesday/wednesday off, so I'd like to find a group that raids on those days on Crystal.

There's not a ton of goon raiders on Crystal, though the group that Tanil and I run in might have an open space or two come Shadowbringers, and you shouldn't have any trouble getting ahold of either of us through Discord or Catgirl Bargains. Other than that, /r/FFXIVRECRUITMENT and the FFXIV Recruiter Discord are good places to start.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I thought maybe I'd do some of the weekly BLU challenges for easy seals and poetics, because I'm doing another anima weapon (only far enough to get the first new weapon after Ferdinand). In the end, all it did was annoy the poo poo out of me all over again about what a train wreck BLU ended up being. gently caress.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Honestly, if the WoL is actually tempered, I kinda hope they break out my favorite plot twist ever in a JRPG, the ending of Panzer Dragoon Saga. The Divine Visitor that's been guiding Edge, or who tempered the WoL in FF XIV's case? The one whose every command is followed exactly, who's literally responsible for the character's existence? It was the player all along, complete with your actual name getting pulled from the save file in PDS's case. It'll never happen unless Yoshi-P gets into some LSD or they hire Shigesato Itoi or Yukio Futatsugi or some other auteur game designer, but I can dream.

I mean, we're getting a Yoko Taro raid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

As always, that dril tweet is prescient.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=20

There's not a ton of goon raiders on Crystal, though the group that Tanil and I run in might have an open space or two come Shadowbringers, and you shouldn't have any trouble getting ahold of either of us through Discord or Catgirl Bargains. Other than that, /r/FFXIVRECRUITMENT and the FFXIV Recruiter Discord are good places to start.

What's your name in CGB? Tanil says they don't know about raid times/spot availability for a PLD, so I would like to ask about that potentially.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Mildly spoilery, but I don't believe the map for the Crystarium has been posted here?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ooh I wonder what's in The Cabinet of Curiosity

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ooh I wonder what's in The Cabinet of Curiosity

It's a multi-story library; one of the people from the media tour recorded a tour of the whole city.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zombeef posted:

It's a multi-story library; one of the people from the media tour recorded a tour of the whole city.
Ah, was it this one? Don't think I watched it before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2YkcQmQL-o
Amalj'aa ranchers :kimchi:

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Gonna throw out my wild story prediction: The WoL is actually Hydaelyn, reincarnated. I don't know how the logistics of how it will work, but that's my guess of how the story is going to shake out. Quote this post in a year when you need to take out that poser mother crystal.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The bomb at the end is a bomb yeah but really this has me more intrigued. We were all under the impression that Minfilia de-aged when she went to The First but now I'm wondering if maybe it is actually a direct parallel world situation and there alternate versions of people around. It would explain why everyone that got soul-snatched over conveniently has their own bodies and also why there's seemingly two Minfilias.

The Scions could very well be inhabiting their duplicates who had their aether drained by the Sin Eaters, since that seems to be now fat cat land keeps them tame.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jimbot posted:

I wonder if Midgardsormr will have any part to play in all of this.

Eventually. He has to. He's the only thing we know old enough and foreign enough to have an outside perspective on this insanity. It'll just take him a while and he'll probably be all mystic about it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

Eventually. He has to. He's the only thing we know old enough and foreign enough to have an outside perspective on this insanity. It'll just take him a while and he'll probably be all mystic about it.

If mystic means "sick burns on anyone and everyone around him" then sure

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 11, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

There's probably shades of truth to what he said, but I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I could throw them.

While we are one the whole theory tangent, it did surprise me when Ifrit (or maybe it was Garuda) said that they could smell Her scent on us or something to that effect. The words felt like they were addressing a hated rival than a higher power.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Trailer has me hype a gently caress. I imagine Hydalin being a primal is true in some sense. It’s never made sense to me that there had to be a balance between the two. Good and evil shouldn’t be existing in perfect balance in a normal world.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We are going to murder God and then become a new God and then move to France and become a fashion model.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

We are going to murder God and then become a new God and then move to France and become a fashion model.

Well, they DID bring in Nomura...

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Saint Freak posted:

If your WoL isn't already a Fashion Model while doing all this stuff, i don't have words for you.....

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Saint Freak posted:

Jojo crossover event with Gucci et al.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

Know that I will steal your Calvin Klein sponsorship if I have to.

Maybe even if I don't.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Shoutout to Midgardsormr for breaking the link between WoL and Hydaelyn. Whatever the WoL replaced it with later isn't the same, which is a distinction that hopefully finally gets the ingame attention it deserves.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Looking forward to the end of the 5.x patches when we learn the name of the original primal, the one both Hydaelin and Zodiark both splintered from

Tataru

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is alphinaud/alisae a bit taller in the new trailer?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
they haven't shown the sixth zone yet

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Groggy nard posted:

Shoutout to Midgardsormr for breaking the link between WoL and Hydaelyn. Whatever the WoL replaced it with later isn't the same, which is a distinction that hopefully finally gets the ingame attention it deserves.

Hydaelyn drags you into that crystal void place and says, oh cool you have my full blessing back. And Midgardsomr was like, Oh cool you have Hydaelyn's full blessing back. Nothing either of them say would suggest any difference.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 11, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

is alphinaud/alisae a bit taller in the new trailer?

Alphinaud's definitely pulled an Edward Elric, at the least. Makes me wonder if the reason for everyone having a weird new appearance is a consequence of them taking the portal to the First. Recall how Tia in the trailer says that the no-man's land between shards has space-time blending in "unexpected" ways. Might also be how they lead in to whatever post-5.X content they have planned, as there's been a lot of speculation that something'll happen that keeps the events on the Source moving in the WoL's absence.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Tekne posted:

There's probably shades of truth to what he said, but I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I could throw them.

I mean I've got almost 3k strength and he looks pretty light...

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Vermain posted:

Alphinaud's definitely pulled an Edward Elric, at the least. Makes me wonder if the reason for everyone having a weird new appearance is a consequence of them taking the portal to the First. Recall how Tia in the trailer says that the no-man's land between shards has space-time blending in "unexpected" ways. Might also be how they lead in to whatever post-5.X content they have planned, as there's been a lot of speculation that something'll happen that keeps the events on the Source moving in the WoL's absence.

poo poo gets real bad on the source in our absence, and the people cry out for their warrior of light...

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I didn’t want to watch the new trailer thing but I’m bored at work and it showed up on my YouTube recommendations so welp

i don’t know if solus is lying or not but the ascians have an agenda which means everything they say and do must be considered through that lens

he’s probably technically right because hydaelyn needs aether to survive and whatnot but that doesn’t make her a primal

also a little tired of “what you thought were good guys actually aren’t” plots but ff xiv tells its story well enough that I’m still going to play the gently caress out of it

either way I’m extra hype now

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

UHD posted:

I didn’t want to watch the new trailer thing but I’m bored at work and it showed up on my YouTube recommendations so welp

i don’t know if solus is lying or not but the ascians have an agenda which means everything they say and do must be considered through that lens

he’s probably technically right because hydaelyn needs aether to survive and whatnot but that doesn’t make her a primal

also a little tired of “what you thought were good guys actually aren’t” plots but ff xiv tells its story well enough that I’m still going to play the gently caress out of it

Yeah, it's similar to Gaius' whole speech before the Ultima battle.

If you use enough Aether you're able to summon any god. Shiva, Tsukuyomi, and Louisoux's failed summoning of the twelve all proved that. The difference between Hydaelyn and the primals is that Hydaelyn doesn't seem to want that. The primals do.

If anything I imagine it's that if you use enough aether the gods literally cannot refuse to be summoned, and the will of the summoner taints how they manifest (see: scared kid titan). But that doesn't mean that Garlemald's full facist fantasy aetheism now is the correct answer either.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hydaelyn drags you into that crystal void place and says, oh cool you have my full blessing back. And Midgardsomr was like, Oh cool you have Hydaelyn's full blessing back. Nothing either of them say would suggest any difference.

Except it's both a different sigil and Midgardsormr never said what, exactly, the gently caress happened, at least in the English version. Just that he was proud of you and would lend you his wings. Hydaelyn has also never spoken to the WoL since after Ultima was defeated. Whatever the void place is was, Hydaelyn wasn't there. And even Minfilia only shows up because the Warriors of Darkness trying to use their old crstals to get away, and Uriangers' plan.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

UHD posted:

Even with that revelation or "revelation" given Solus may not be entirely truthful, Hydaelin probably still isn't evil so much as inscrutable. There have been other primals like Ramuh and Shiva that aren't bad guys, even though we fight them anyway because that's just how we roll, and fighting Hydaelin once her goals eventually come into conflict with ours has been one of the most common fan theories for years.

Middy is definitely going to pop back into the story at some point with more cryptic input on the matter. He seems to know what Hydaelin is and doesn't have a big problem with it, so it's hard to say what side he'd take when the throwdown starts. He's watched me beat up a copy of him at his best though so maybe he'll just sit that fight out.

I wonder now, what actually happens to the planet if we punch out Hydaelin?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Thundarr posted:

Even with that revelation or "revelation" given Solus may not be entirely truthful, Hydaelin probably still isn't evil so much as inscrutable. There have been other primals like Ramuh and Shiva that aren't bad guys, even though we fight them anyway because that's just how we roll, and fighting Hydaelin once her goals eventually come into conflict with ours has been one of the most common fan theories for years.

Middy is definitely going to pop back into the story at some point with more cryptic input on the matter. He seems to know what Hydaelin is and doesn't have a big problem with it, so it's hard to say what side he'd take when the throwdown starts. He's watched me beat up a copy of him at his best though so maybe he'll just sit that fight out.

I wonder now, what actually happens to the planet if we punch out Hydaelin?

Given the source of the information? the source becomes another void shard. or reunification.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Groggy nard posted:

Except it's both a different sigil and Midgardsormr never said what, exactly, the gently caress happened, at least in the English version. Just that he was proud of you and would lend you his wings. Hydaelyn has also never spoken to the WoL since after Ultima was defeated. Whatever the void place is was, Hydaelyn wasn't there. And even Minfilia only shows up because the Warriors of Darkness trying to use their old crstals to get away, and Uriangers' plan.

Hydaelyn literally talks to you during the cutscene, and Midgardsomr, going slightly off memory here, thy mothers' blessing has returned to you.

It's the level 59 quest right before Heavensward. A step or two in after meeting Tiamat, if you check the journal at the inn room.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think it's more likely that we'll end up working towards reconciling Hydaelyn and Zodiark and reversing the sundering to make the disparate beings one again than beating up the mothercrystal. With the nature of how the plot rhymes I wouldn't be surprised if Zodiark is doing destructive things in response to a legitimate grievance like the dragons were.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ouhei posted:

Trailer has me hype a gently caress. I imagine Hydalin being a primal is true in some sense. It’s never made sense to me that there had to be a balance between the two. Good and evil shouldn’t be existing in perfect balance in a normal world.

That's under the assumption Zodiark is even evil, all we have to go on is his fan club, who may or may not be acting in Zodiark's best interest. Elidibus seems to be the only one who actually talks to Zodiark, and also happens to be not overtly evil, just kind of a huge loving prick. Considering the first is on the precipice of becoming just the light aspected version of the 13th, it's not exactly cut and dry to say Hydaelyn is strictly good either.

Bolow fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 11, 2019

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Tempered, drowned, sundered... blessed.

Warrior of Light, would you kindly defeat the darkness?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Obviously, the WoL way to reconcile the two is to beat them up at the same time.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Propagandist posted:

Tempered, drowned, sundered... blessed.

Warrior of Light, would you kindly defeat the darkness?

I don’t really like this theory

I’d have to replay the msq to be sure and I’m not that bored yet but at what point has the wol acted out of character? it implies that if given the choice they would have walked away and done anything else but since this is a video game that isn’t actually an option if you want to keep playing so it falls completely flat

it was a cool twist in bioshock but that game is done in a few hours without nearly as much narrative leadup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bolow posted:

That's under the assumption Zodiark is even evil, all we have to go on is his fan club which yeah, who may or may not be acting in Zodiark's best interest. Elidibus seems to be the only one who actually talks to Zodiark, and also happens to be not overtly evil, just kind of a huge loving prick. Considering the first is on the precipice of becoming just the light aspected version of the 13th, it's not exactly cut and dry to say Hydaelyn is strictly good either.

My guess is that they're both similar to Ramuh: they can't help the fact that people see in absolutes and take their respective ideals too far, because, as Primals, they must appear when summoned. If you think back to the times the Echo pops up in Stormblood, it's almost exclusively used to contextualize the nature of people like Yotsuyu and Fordola. If Hydaelyn was merely interested in spreading the Light everywhere, then why give you visions specifically intended to foster a nuanced view of the world?

UHD posted:

I’d have to replay the msq to be sure and I’m not that bored yet but at what point has the wol acted out of character?

That's the thing. The MSQ starts with it being clearly established that you're already Hydaelyn's chosen, and, consequently, you behave in the same obsessive way that someone tempered might behave. The WoL is, diegetically, a loving bizarre person who is endlessly heroic, kind, and self-sacrificing in a way that's well beyond what any normal person would ever be able to sustain. It's not that you're just an awfully nice person: it's that you're unknowingly compelled to be a paragon of good.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 11, 2019