Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Cover art is still used for gaming icons on consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The guy in the cover art is your pal from that demo isn't it? They probably thought it would be better than having a character that you may never see in the game.

Though I guess it would be like if Garrus was the only character on the Mass Effect cover.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not sure if you're serious but no, the guy on the cover is the default male version of your character. You can play both as a male or female V, and there's supposed to be further appearence customization.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do I get a discount if I own most of the Witcher stuff

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do I get a discount if I own most of the Witcher stuff

No, cause you're paying $87.77 for Cyberpunk, with a bunch other free stuff thrown in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Really, the cover just looks like it might be placeholder art.

If it's not, then maybe they'll redo it based on the poor reception.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Why don't they just put Keanu on the cover

sell a bazillion copies

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cross-Section posted:

sell a bazillion copies

They probably wanted to, Keanu's agent probably said no

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cross-Section posted:

sell a bazillion copies

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Max Wilco posted:

Really, the cover just looks like it might be placeholder art.

If it's not, then maybe they'll redo it based on the poor reception.

Looks pretty set.

It's so, so bland. Do better.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I gotta say, all the complaints about the cover art are actually making me look forward to the game more. When people have to reach for "the cover art is boring" to find something to complain about then you've done pretty good.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Gobblecoque posted:

I gotta say, all the complaints about the cover art are actually making me look forward to the game more. When people have to reach for "the cover art is boring" to find something to complain about then you've done pretty good.

I mean, sure. The game looks to be (from what I've seen) embracing eclectic color schemes and an intriguingly diverse mix of races and characters, even moving well beyond our rather black-white dichotomy of such issues by adding the cyberpunk future that relies heavily on the concept of man-machine augmentations.

They choose to represent this world through a picture of Bland White Guy w/ Gun.

It looks like poo poo. I'm sure it'll be a great game, but you're doing your work a disservice by pandering to a group that really does not need to be pandered to at this point.

Hell, how about these guys on the cover:

I'd say it's far more representative of the setting.

The sooner we can get away from the bullshit myth of 'A Game Won't Sell Unless There's A Straight Dude With A Gun On The Cover', the better.

fake edit: accidentally said 'Straight Dude' instead of 'White Dude' but i'mma leave it there

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why does the cyberpunk man dress like a 2017 man

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

bowmore posted:

why does the cyberpunk man dress like a 2017 man

Fashion's cyclical. And cynical.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If it was just a black box with the title on it, it'd already look better.

Yellow is a great color for highlights, but really terrible for backgrounds. And the guy is so generic-looking. What I assume is the Collector's Edition box (kompendium wiedzy blah blah) literally has a better cover by starring the guy's jacket instead.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cat Mattress posted:

And the guy is so generic-looking.

Welcome to the Flavor-Web.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dissapointed Owl posted:

They choose to represent this world through a picture of Bland White Guy w/ Gun.

"Guy with gun" cover sells games to people who browse stores with no particular goal or idea what kind of game is that, and that's not even a myth, just marketing statistics.

Also, who cares about box cover art, grandma, just buy digital like normal people.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I like how they had a cool lady protagonist that everyone liked in the gameplay demo last year and decided to make their cover character a boring white dude instead.

Well actually there were no women in historical future Poland, furthermore

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

indeed. that's why I'm pretty sure Mystery of the Druids is the best game of all time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pyromancer posted:

"Guy with gun" cover sells games to people who browse stores with no particular goal or idea what kind of game is that, and that's not even a myth, just marketing statistics.

Also, who cares about box cover art, grandma, just buy digital like normal people.

Show me these statistics, because correlation does not imply causation. Overwatch, Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, just some recent hits that bucked this trend completely. It's a trend not because it's a proven success, but it's what is perceived to sell. That's why they keep doing it. Plenty of 'Guy With Gun cover' games have been financial failures.

It's not about having something to look at. It's about general industry trends and their impact on gaming and game culture. Hell, culture in general.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They probably decided that the bright yellow made it stand out on shelves while the gun-guy made it clear at a glance to someone who doesn't pay attention to this stuff that it was a gritty action game.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Overwatch, Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, just some recent hits that bucked this trend completely.

From "guy with a gun" to "girl with a gun", whoa, what a revolution!
Here is a short guide to almost all box covers:
1) Pick a background - solid white, solid black or explosion are the most common
2) Place a picture of the main character on it in one of 4 variants: full height in some action pose, full height facing away, just from waist up or just the head
That's all there is to it, those 3 "trend-bucking" games did that exact thing too.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pyromancer posted:

From "guy with a gun" to "girl with a gun", whoa, what a revolution!
Here is a short guide to almost all box covers:
1) Pick a background - solid white, solid black or explosion are the most common
2) Place a picture of the main character on it in one of 4 variants: full height in some action pose, full height facing away, just from waist up or just the head
That's all there is to it, those 3 "trend-bucking" games did that exact thing too.

I’m not asking for a revolution. The whole point was to show that, no, Guy With Gun cover is not necessarily gonna sell better than something that isn’t Guy With Gun. The fact that it’s a stylised woman carrying some form of weapon still means it’s =/ Guy With Gun cover.

At this point I’m not sure if you’re being dense or just have an issue admitting that Guy With Gun is 1. Not more likely to result in a hit game and you just pulled that ‘fact’ out of your rear end, and 2. Is a telling and extremely boring way to represent a game.

If it helps I can put the covers of Horizon and Nier Automata next to this cover and point out how they’re stylised renditions of something Not Guy With Gun.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'll probably end up playing the guy on the cover, he seems alright.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

At this point I’m not sure if you’re being dense

but,

How the hell would any of the examples you listed have guy with a gun on the cover. Wow a game featuring female protagonists dont have guy with a gun HOW SUBVERSIVE. Tetris Attack doesnt have guy with a gun on the cover and it sold just fine. Game companies please do better.

Also I've played all of those games and cant remember anything about the covers and dont really care so imo it doesnt really matter

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mass Effect 1 to 3 featured default male Sheppard on the cover art and never read this awful "white guy with a gun" stuff. As long as the game is good, who cares?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

but,

How the hell would any of the examples you listed have guy with a gun on the cover. Wow a game featuring female protagonists dont have guy with a gun HOW SUBVERSIVE. Tetris Attack doesnt have guy with a gun on the cover and it sold just fine. Game companies please do better.

Also I've played all of those games and cant remember anything about the covers and dont really care so imo it doesnt really matter

The argument was: Guy With Gun covers inherently sell better.

That’s not true. Games without Guy With Gun covers have mass appeal also.

As for why NOT a Guy With A Gun: I explained the diverse nature of the setting, the characters and the fact you can make your own character. Nobody would make this bland mook.

As for why it matters, not really except for the fact it’s a continuation of pretty toxic game industry trope that shuns diversity because ‘only Guy With Gun covers sell well’ which, again, is untrue.

Also, nobody gives a poo poo if Doom or Call Of Duty has such a cover. It’s almost (but not really) a necessity in those cases. From what I’ve seen, this game is about freedom, modification, and options.

The cover is lazy as gently caress and maybe indicative of something. It’s okay to say that. It’s also okay to have a discussion about it instead of going, “it doesn’t matter’.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Guillermus posted:

Mass Effect 1 to 3 featured default male Sheppard on the cover art and never read this awful "white guy with a gun" stuff. As long as the game is good, who cares?

People complained about it a lot and Mass Effect 3 got a reversible cover to assuage that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Indicative of what lol

Big budget games dont have the liberty of doing wonky experimental stuff. Man with gun is a safe decision that tells potential buyers who dont know what cyberpunk is that you have a gun and you can play as a dude.

Who cares about covers, it's just marketing stuff. The cover isnt lazy, I assure you their top marketing teams focus grouped it to hell. You dont have that data and neither do I, but I know it was an informed choice meant to push more units.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Guy with gun" sells, unfortunately because focus groups are the worst. Bioshock Infinite's cover focus group literally complained about Elizabeth and Booker being on the cover and came back with "more focus on Booker, make the gun bigger". Like...people complain rightly that in America all the box art is largely lovely but it's because the average customer clientele (or at least whoever they drag in to do these focus groups) have lovely taste! But the marketing people need to justify their existence and maybe there is a correlation between box art and sales even today but there's no way the average person is getting their hands on that data.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Indicative of what lol

Big budget games dont have the liberty of doing wonky experimental stuff. Man with gun is a safe decision that tells potential buyers who dont know what cyberpunk is that you have a gun and you can play as a dude.

Who cares about covers, it's just marketing stuff. The cover isnt lazy, I assure you their top marketing teams focus grouped it to hell. You dont have that data and neither do I, but I know it was an informed choice meant to push more units.

Exactly this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't believe anyone really gives a poo poo what the cover is. It's kinda bland, sure, but I agree with the dude who said if this is all there is to criticize, they're doing good work. I can see this being something worth discussion for album covers, but not for video games. I can think of very few video game covers I actually thought were "good" in the first place.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The cover is lazy as gently caress and maybe indicative of something. It’s okay to say that. It’s also okay to have a discussion about it instead of going, “it doesn’t matter’.

None of this is wrong but also well, you can't really obligate people to be as invested in the topic as you are since game covers just genuinely aren't something most people (at least here) care about at all. Don't think anyone's telling you that you can't talk about it, but you might need to adjust your expectations for the quality of said discussion accordingly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kanfy posted:

None of this is wrong but also well, you can't really obligate people to be as invested in the topic as you are since game covers just genuinely aren't something most people (at least here) care about at all. Don't think anyone's telling you that you can't talk about it, but you might need to adjust your expectations for the quality of said discussion accordingly.

I guess so, drat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the salient point is, however, that it's stupid to look at and you should point and laugh at it

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The annoying thing about the cover is (for me) the background color. It's so obviously chosen to yell "notice me" that it almost has the opposite result to me (a semi-colorblind person too).

Meaning, I'll probably buy the game regardless, but I don't appreciate my screen being filled with annoyingly bright colors -- knowing GOG's marketing strategy we're bound to have this as a huge panel and possibly popup in their front page.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The argument was: Guy With Gun covers inherently sell better.

That’s not true. Games without Guy With Gun covers have mass appeal also.

As for why NOT a Guy With A Gun: I explained the diverse nature of the setting, the characters and the fact you can make your own character. Nobody would make this bland mook.

As for why it matters, not really except for the fact it’s a continuation of pretty toxic game industry trope that shuns diversity because ‘only Guy With Gun covers sell well’ which, again, is untrue.

Also, nobody gives a poo poo if Doom or Call Of Duty has such a cover. It’s almost (but not really) a necessity in those cases. From what I’ve seen, this game is about freedom, modification, and options.

I have bad news for you.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Just how much is Keanu in the game even? Is it going to be another Oblivion where it has Patrick Stewart, but only for the intro cutscene?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

Just how much is Keanu in the game even? Is it going to be another Oblivion where it has Patrick Stewart, but only for the intro cutscene?

It'd be kinda odd to have him do voice, likeness, and motion-capture for only an intro scene but on the other hand CDPR has a lot of money to sling around.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The cover is a a subtle homage to Deus Ex: Invisible War, indicating that Cyberpunk is going to be a worthy successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

indeed. that's why I'm pretty sure Mystery of the Druids is the best game of all time.

Hell yeah