Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"Help thread, I've been blessed by big beautiful butterflies, how do I snuff them out?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

tetrapyloctomy posted:

3/5, would have gone with "Would you gently caress you? Would you gently caress you so hard?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97RcB_vSvbc

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

"Help thread, I've been blessed by big beautiful butterflies, how do I snuff them out?"

Are you aware that moths eat clothes? If you have moths in your house, you'll end up with holes in all your clothing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

Are you aware that moths eat clothes? If you have moths in your house, you'll end up with holes in all your clothing.

Allow me to introduce you to owning rats, the originators of "ratty clothing"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

glynnenstein posted:

#notallmoths

No seriously, clothes moths and pantry moths are both specialized species. Most regular old moths you see outdoors are just doing their own thing with zero interest in your clothing, even if a couple of them follow the light and end up inside.

If you do have an infestation of either clothes or pantry moths, take a pic, identify the moth, then go looking for the source of the issue.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

glynnenstein posted:

Moths actually don't eat clothing, that's an old wive's tale

Certain moth larvae will eat clothing, but they're few and far between; if you have these then you just need to close your closet door so that moths can't get in there to lay their eggs.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

#notallmoths

No seriously, clothes moths and pantry moths are both specialized species. Most regular old moths you see outdoors are just doing their own thing with zero interest in your clothing, even if a couple of them follow the light and end up inside.

If you do have an infestation of either clothes or pantry moths, take a pic, identify the moth, then go looking for the source of the issue.
I've done this step, but I don't know how to do the rest. That's why I posted here friend :shobon:

This isn't a couple moths followed me inside. We've been murdering them regularly every day and aren't leaving doors or windows open.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The home improvement thread isn't full of moth experts, BUT this thread is! You'll need an unblurry pic and what state you're in. You can also just google "moths [state]" or "gray moths [state]" and look through a list with pics.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Thanks, I didn't even know about that other thread. Whatever we kill tonight, I'll try to find the least damaged one to take a good picture of.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Really the answer to "what do I do if I have an empty room I don't have a use for" is "move somewhere smaller" or "get a lodger".

you, too.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It has been a bit, but I haven't been idle. Nothing is properly organized yet unfortunately. It is, however, all off the floor and vastly more organized than before.

Shelf 1

Shelf 2

Shelf 3

With that out of the way I now have this space

With a little of googling and some rough sketching we hatch a plan

Mostly done with the bench

Added a new tool that literally will be awesome and dangerous 1. Do it Right! 2. Uh poo poo that's wrong but it's done? 3. We have a sawzall wooooo!

One of the main reasons for the reciprocating saw is to help trim this stuff and other stuff around the yard and clean up the property in general

That pile necessitated acquiring one of these as well since it's barely 5% of the total amount of garbage to clean out. Also spoke to the neighbor on one side who is completely on board with this plan and will help. Eventually I hope to have shared spots for sticks, leaves, wood chips, and a shredded leaf/compost pile.

Goal of the day yesterday: Finish the bench get some lights and come up with a vague electrical solution.
Lights

Mount another power strip/surge protector thing

So after all that I have a work space that's ~92"x31" with the storage underneath as well. I have a 3rd LED light I might add or put somewhere else in the garage. The two there seem to be more than enough for now. Both sets of power strips are hooked up to 2 sockets in the garage via 14 gauge extension cord and then routed through the ceiling rafters. They are on separate circuits so it should minimize me popping one. On the list for what's left in the garage is another slimmer metal topped work table (with storage underneath) and a much larger holder for firewood in the garage. I'm not sure when I'll be getting to those though with my most pressing projects being the yard work and an outdoor firewood.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 8, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It has been a bit, but I haven't been idle. Nothing is properly organized yet unfortunately. It is, however, all off the floor and vastly more organized than before.

Shelf 1

Shelf 2

Shelf 3

With that out of the way I now have this space

With a little of googling and some rough sketching we hatch a plan

Mostly done with the bench

Added a new tool that literally will be awesome and dangerous 1. Do it Right! 2. Uh poo poo that's wrong but it's done? 3. We have a sawzall wooooo!

One of the main reasons for the reciprocating saw is to help trim this stuff and other stuff around the yard and clean up the property in general

That pile necessitated acquiring one of these as well since it's barely 5% of the total amount of garbage to clean out. Also spoke to the neighbor on one side who is completely on board with this plan and will help. Eventually I hope to have shared spots for sticks, leaves, wood chips, and a shredded leaf/compost pile.

Goal of the day yesterday: Finish the bench get some lights and come up with a vague electrical solution.
Lights

Mount another power strip/surge protector thing

So after all that I have a work space that's ~92"x31" with the storage underneath as well. I have a 3rd LED light I might add or put somewhere else in the garage. The two there seem to be more than enough for now. Both sets of power strips are hooked up to 2 sockets in the garage via 14 gauge extension cord and then routed through the ceiling rafters. They are on separate circuits so it should minimize me popping one. On the list for what's left in the garage is another slimmer metal topped work table (with storage underneath) and a much larger holder for firewood in the garage. I'm not sure when I'll be getting to those though with my most pressing projects being the yard work and an outdoor firewood.

Nice! I like the recip saw, looks cool!

Just for the sake of readers I've reduced your images to 1024px max, since timg helps with table breaking but still requires you to download all the full size images. I've done this by adding an extra `h` (for "huge") before the `.jpg` in your imgur URLs, in case you'd prefer that in the future. (`l` for "large" is also available which shrinks it a bit further and can avoid needing a timg tag at all).

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nice! I like the recip saw, looks cool!

Just for the sake of readers I've reduced your images to 1024px max, since timg helps with table breaking but still requires you to download all the full size images. I've done this by adding an extra `h` (for "huge") before the `.jpg` in your imgur URLs, in case you'd prefer that in the future. (`l` for "large" is also available which shrinks it a bit further and can avoid needing a timg tag at all).

Very sorry about that and much appreciated. I'll note that down for the future. The recip saw is already my favorite tool ever.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Very sorry about that and much appreciated. I'll note that down for the future.

No worries, it's usually fine just when there's a lot in a post or in a page it makes for a heavy old load.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just for the sake of readers I've reduced your images to 1024px max

:mad: boo!

(Is there a specific need for this? I dislike having to hunt for high res pictures if I want to actually be able to zoom in on something in a post. Yes this is on mobile as well.)

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Moths actually don't eat clothing, that's an old wive's tale

Certain moth larvae will eat clothing, but they're few and far between; if you have these then you just need to close your closet door so that moths can't get in there to lay their eggs.

Yes, I realize it's the larvae doing it, but approximately 100% of the moths species in my house eat clothing so while I am pro-friendly spider inside, it's a complete moth genocide at home because even closed drawers get sweaters eaten within.

World is a gently caress, 410,757,864,530 dead moths

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

:mad: boo!

(Is there a specific need for this? I dislike having to hunt for high res pictures if I want to actually be able to zoom in on something in a post. Yes this is on mobile as well.)

Yeah, so, taking an image at random, the 1024px version is 180kB and loads on my fibre connection in 0.1 seconds. The full size 3264px version is 2.4MB and loads in 4.3 seconds. If there's one that's whatever, but the post had 14 of these images for a hefty approx total of 34MB.

A page has 40 posts on it, so you can see how this can quickly get out of hand and grind things to a halt if done en masse. I wouldn't have bothered here if that one post hadn't done exactly that to my page load.

I don't care about the resolution (table breaking aside) but we can't be having each page weigh hundreds of megabytes. Limiting to 1024px was something I could do quickly with a text replacement and I'm happy for the poster to replace the images with bigger but lighter ones if they wish. This could probably be achieved in full size using some basic quality compression rather than the raw photos straight off the phone, but, more work.

Personally I prefer the quick imgur option for my own posts because it results in light images that don't need to be timg'd, and I think the timg size is too small these days and I don't like having to click each image to see it in a normal size, but that's just me.

Ideally it would be nice to have a larger server-side thumbnail image that links to the full size one, like this:

but that's a lot to ask of people.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 8, 2019

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Nah that makes perfect sense. No one wants to see my work that up close and detailed anyways :p I never really thought about that before and having had to deal with bandwidth limits and throttling in the past it makes sense...and that's before getting into forum/thread responsiveness.

Decently successful day so far. Finished off the pile of mulch. Looking to dig some of the stumps and roots up, trim the brush pile up a bit, and hopefully if the neighbors are cool with it getting into some chipping.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

glynnenstein posted:

They also eat the money right out of your wallet and when you go to pay for something they'll fly away leaving you in an embarrassing situation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

;_____; forgive me brother

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello, I was directed to this thread. My fiancee and I went through a big tragedy on the 2nd when we were lying in bed and a tree fell onto our apartment and destroyed it. We and our 3 cats are lucky to be alive but as far as furniture goes we're basically clueless since the furniture in there was all provided by the landlord so we've never actually been furniture shopping before. We might have an apartment lined up to move into soon and I was wondering if this is the kind of thread I would ask for help in regarding information about obtaining good quality furniture without paying an arm and a leg for it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello, I was directed to this thread. My fiancee and I went through a big tragedy on the 2nd when we were lying in bed and a tree fell onto our apartment and destroyed it. We and our 3 cats are lucky to be alive but as far as furniture goes we're basically clueless since the furniture in there was all provided by the landlord so we've never actually been furniture shopping before. We might have an apartment lined up to move into soon and I was wondering if this is the kind of thread I would ask for help in regarding information about obtaining good quality furniture without paying an arm and a leg for it.

Ah yes, I heard about this. I'm glad you're all OK.

The question is I think going to be what your yardstick is for "good quality" and "cheap". The default answer for "adequate but cheap" furniture is Ikea, but for the majority of their stuff it's cheap because it's not what most people would consider especially good quality. Ikea is the mainstay of student and rental properties for this reason, at least in the UK.

Are you attempting to replace your stuff with long-lived replacements or stop-gaps?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I live in a big house with a spouse, and we both make plenty of money, but we still buy most of our furniture from discount liquidation places and moving or estate sales that we find on craigslist cause that's a good way to find good stuff for cheap. It takes a lot more time than walking into a high-end furniture store and picking something but it can be fun and you may get to see some really weird poo poo, especially at estate sales in higher-end neighborhoods.

Discount liquidators are basically hired to store and sell whatever good furniture can be found at a place, often either a larger estate or a former business. These places can be great and have all kinds of kooky stuff or they might just have 50 boring office desks in a warehouse, scout out any liquidators that may operate a storefront in your area.

Estate and moving sales are hit or miss but the advantage here is that whoever lived there probably liked their furniture enough to keep it around for awhile, and they're trying to sell the bigger furniture pieces so you can get a good price for nice stuff. Go on craigslist to find upcoming sales, then drive to them early and bring cash + a vehicle that you can haul stuff away in.

You could also look for furniture warehouse places. Think Costco but just for furniture. Check locally

Ikea is kind of a furniture warehouse, but way bigger and selling way more things. Their stuff is all flimsy as hell. They're still a very good option if you just want something short-term (their stuff should hold up for several years at least) because they're cheap and their showroom is usually pretty nce and can give you design ideas.

Costco's furniture seems pretty nice and is a good price but you're very limited on selection. That's Costco for you. Availability will be kind of random as well, one month they may be focused on selling mattresses and various types of chairs, the next they may be selling entertainment centers and sectionals.

The most expensive option will be various stores that basically sell designer furniture. You get a lot of options and customizability but you pay for it. Quality can also be very good but that can be hard to gauge

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

One other option is to check out your town Facebook- on mine there are regularly woodworking hobbyists/semipros advertising for project commissions. It won’t be as cheap as Ikea, but the prices are usually pretty ok and it won’t be made out of lovely veneered particle board. There may also be local companies making wood furniture, but these can vary widely in price.

Also I feel like people rag a lot on Ikea but I’ve also had some of their ‘nicer’ lines’ pieces last 4+ moves and almost 10 years of moderate to heavy wear before we phased them out.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
So I'm in the process of rebuilding a tub shower surround from the studs. What is the current generally accepted 'best way' to go about this if I'm planning on tiling? Regular cement board on the studs and then tile? Something else? I'm trying to avoid dealing with/spending $$$ on any number of fancy German waterproofing systems.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So I'm in the process of rebuilding a tub shower surround from the studs. What is the current generally accepted 'best way' to go about this if I'm planning on tiling? Regular cement board on the studs and then tile? Something else? I'm trying to avoid dealing with/spending $$$ on any number of fancy German waterproofing systems.
Well, in fairness, the fancy german waterproofing systems are literally the generally accepted best way. That being said, a nice runner-up would be doing your cement board, then throwing on a coat of redgard, then tiling.

Honestly though, I just redid my shower, and just did tile on cement board for the walls because, eh, that's how it's been done for awhile, and I've never personally seen it become an issue.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I dug a hole in my lawn this weekend to build a firepit. Looking forward to s'mores this weekend.

FirstAidKite posted:

You can also try the interior decorating thread. That one tends to move a bit faster than this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You can also try the interior decorating thread. That one tends to move a bit faster than this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

That's where they started. I directed them here because that thread has a habit of being far less pragmatic when it comes to cheaper furniture. It's usually faster moving because of the arguments.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's mostly just one person whose approach to furniture is "if you didn't get the most expensive version of x peice of furniture then you aren't committed to living well / have fun in your white trash dorm room lol".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That Works posted:

It's mostly just one person whose approach to furniture is "if you didn't get the most expensive version of x peice of furniture then you aren't committed to living well / have fun in your white trash dorm room lol".

Agreed, but it doesn't lead to a useful discussion for the person asking the question.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

OP posted there first, they said to post here instead

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's all the same people :shrug:

Thrift stores and Craig's List still win for furniture in the US (Habitat re-Store also cross-lists on Craig's List.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ah yes, I heard about this. I'm glad you're all OK.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Thanks to SA we've managed to raise a little over $3000 which will go a long way towards helping us replace a large majority of the things that can't be salvaged.

Jaded Burnout posted:

The question is I think going to be what your yardstick is for "good quality" and "cheap". The default answer for "adequate but cheap" furniture is Ikea, but for the majority of their stuff it's cheap because it's not what most people would consider especially good quality. Ikea is the mainstay of student and rental properties for this reason, at least in the UK.

Are you attempting to replace your stuff with long-lived replacements or stop-gaps?

We are mostly looking for something that is simple. It doesn't need to be elegant. A board and 4 legs as a table is fine. What we're mostly worried about is space. I've come across a lot of different pieces of furniture that talk about how great they are because of their ability to fold out and expand and retract and fold away but they end up being so overpriced that I'm left wondering why their target audience is "very wealthy people who live in tiny homes."

One of the reasons I've been hesitant about stuff like Goodwill is the issue of transportation. Idk if they do delivery but even if they do, I can imagine it'll be a pain to get the furniture into the home since the stuff Goodwill would have is likely all pre-assembled.

Idk that they would be long-lived replacements because we've resigned ourselves to the fact that our cats are gonna scratch up basically any furniture we buy regardless of how trimmed their nails are and how much catproofing we do.

As far as what furniture we want, we're thinking of getting:

A mattress and a bedframe, skipping the boxspring
At least 1 end table (probably 2)
Shelves
Dresser drawers
A couple of computer desks that would be set next to each other
A table for dining at and some chairs to go with it
A kitchen island
A table for tabletop gaming (this can also be the dining table but that's why I've been looking at expanding tables)

I did see some ikea stuff that looked like it would work, specifically the uhh I think it was called a gateleg table, but it didn't necessarily look like the most sturdy thing in the world and the closest ikea is out in pittsburgh so it'll be a day trip just to get the furniture or paying a lot to get it delivered. Ikea seems like it'd be fine for some stuff if I lived closer to one but as it is, the prices seem pretty steep and not worth it to drive an hour out to the closest one just to spend several hundred on a table.

QuarkJets posted:

I live in a big house with a spouse, and we both make plenty of money, but we still buy most of our furniture from discount liquidation places and moving or estate sales that we find on craigslist cause that's a good way to find good stuff for cheap. It takes a lot more time than walking into a high-end furniture store and picking something but it can be fun and you may get to see some really weird poo poo, especially at estate sales in higher-end neighborhoods.

Discount liquidators are basically hired to store and sell whatever good furniture can be found at a place, often either a larger estate or a former business. These places can be great and have all kinds of kooky stuff or they might just have 50 boring office desks in a warehouse, scout out any liquidators that may operate a storefront in your area.

Estate and moving sales are hit or miss but the advantage here is that whoever lived there probably liked their furniture enough to keep it around for awhile, and they're trying to sell the bigger furniture pieces so you can get a good price for nice stuff. Go on craigslist to find upcoming sales, then drive to them early and bring cash + a vehicle that you can haul stuff away in.

You could also look for furniture warehouse places. Think Costco but just for furniture. Check locally

Ikea is kind of a furniture warehouse, but way bigger and selling way more things. Their stuff is all flimsy as hell. They're still a very good option if you just want something short-term (their stuff should hold up for several years at least) because they're cheap and their showroom is usually pretty nce and can give you design ideas.

Costco's furniture seems pretty nice and is a good price but you're very limited on selection. That's Costco for you. Availability will be kind of random as well, one month they may be focused on selling mattresses and various types of chairs, the next they may be selling entertainment centers and sectionals.

The most expensive option will be various stores that basically sell designer furniture. You get a lot of options and customizability but you pay for it. Quality can also be very good but that can be hard to gauge

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely look into estate and moving sales as well as checking for any local furniture liquidation places and furniture warehouses. For the time being I've basically been left checking Aldi for any cheap furniture since I know they occasionally get in some decent-looking stuff like big folding tables that could easily be used for dining or tabletop gaming.

BadSamaritan posted:

One other option is to check out your town Facebook- on mine there are regularly woodworking hobbyists/semipros advertising for project commissions. It won’t be as cheap as Ikea, but the prices are usually pretty ok and it won’t be made out of lovely veneered particle board. There may also be local companies making wood furniture, but these can vary widely in price.

I hadn't thought to check for woodworking hobbyists. I'm not sure I'll go through with that though if only because I'd rather have something that I know works and isn't made by a hobbyist carpenter.

Thank you, all of you, for the help and support. I know it's kinda silly and dumb just dropping into a thread and going "help I don't know how to do thing" but I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions and pointers for how to best go about doing this and budgeting our money enough that we don't overspend on things like replacing furniture.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I've come across a lot of different pieces of furniture that talk about how great they are because of their ability to fold out and expand and retract and fold away but they end up being so overpriced that I'm left wondering why their target audience is "very wealthy people who live in tiny homes."

Cities. Specifically, small apartments in cities that cost £500k+ for one bedroom and a combined kitchen/lounge that you need to put a table in. A couple of my London friends recently spent something like £800 on a small table with fancy fold outs because they're wealthy but not London wealthy and more floor space costs vastly more there than smaller furniture. I imagine NYC and San Francisco are similar.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

priority:

1 A mattress and a bedframe, skipping the boxspring
6 At least 1 end table (probably 2)
4 Shelves
2 Dresser drawers
7 A couple of computer desks that would be set next to each other
3 A table for dining at and some chairs to go with it
5 A kitchen island
8 A table for tabletop gaming (this can also be the dining table but that's why I've been looking at expanding tables)

One step at a time. Rediscover sitting on the floor, eating at the coffee table.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
0. Renters' insurance

It's so important, you absolutely don't want to be in this position again in a few years

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

00. scented candles

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

00. scented candles

Just, uh, avoid pine..

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

0. Renters' insurance

It's so important, you absolutely don't want to be in this position again in a few years

Renters insurance wouldn't replace landlord provided furniture. But yes everyone should have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not even sure renter's insurance, if we had it, would have replaced any of our non-kitchen-related valuables anyway since the way in which the apartment fell and the way we stored our valuables meant that none of the 4 closets we had collapsed, all of our valuables survived and don't need to be replaced. They just need to be dug out.