Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Here's a long talk at GDC by Mooncrash's lead: https://gdcvault.com/play/1025732/-Mooncrash-Resetting-the-Immersive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Also note that the QBeam will make something explode when the green bar reaches their current, not max health, so you can totally qbeam something for a bit, then switch to something more mobile so you don't get pasted because of the slow movespeed, and finish the enemy off with something more hard-hitting. Saves in combat reloads too.

I'm not proud of how late in the game I figured this out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not proud of how late in the game I figured this out.

On the other hand I’m extremely proud of how long I managed to straight up miss the Beams and Waves lab. I don’t think I “found” it until after getting into Alex’s office.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The beams and waves lab was straight up the last thing I did before the end game. It was pretty anticlimactic cause I already had the gun but having a butt load of cells for the end was super useful.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey gang, my girlfriend was at the library and she was able to check this out for the PS4. I have been wanting to play it, but I've just been waiting for a sale so I can get it on the PC.

Anyway, my question is, maybe you folks might know, how is this game on the PS4 as compared to the PC? Most shooters I would want to play with a mouse, but lately I've been enjoying our new couch, etc. more excuses for lying around. So I don't really mind using a controller if it doesn't require poo poo to be extremely precise. Anyway, I have a decent PC and found that the PC versions of Dark Souls, Just Cause 3, The Witcher 3, they run so much smoother and look so much better and can usually be modded to look/run/play even better.

So, shoot, really I'm just looking for a general opinion from someone who's played both. Is it fine to play on the PS4? Should I just pay for the PC version?

Edit: I know this question is answered on the front page. Actually, what I'm looking for is an explanation as to why it's better/worse.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I've played through both the PS4 and PC versions and the latter performs better and, most importantly, loads areas much faster.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Aside from that, the most common enemy type is very jumpy and can be a bit hard to track even with a mouse.

That said, it's totally playable on console, and not a bad experience. QoL is just better on PC like it is for nearly everything.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Sounds like I'll just wait for the next sale, then. Alas, back to loving Dark Souls

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The load times are somewhat annoying, but I consider the game perfectly fine on PS4 (it used to have a bunch of other problems). I've played through the game multiple times on PS4.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Prey is absolutely fine on the PS4, and I imagine you could find a used copy for dirt cheap by now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah load times are fine, as good as PC if you’ve put your own SSD into the PS4, and more importantly levels are quite huge so it’s not that big of an issue. It’s fine, you’ll be fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The load times are atrocious at the end of the game when it turns into a wild goose hunt all over the whole ship. Like, there is literally more time spent watching load screens than actually playing the game. That only accounts for an hour or so of a 30ish hour game though so I wouldn't really consider it detrimental. It's a pretty painful hour though. Watching 1 minute loads to run to an exit that is 20 seconds away repeatedly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Imo the game should've just ended at the garden area because at that point you've seen almost everything

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. Everything after you meet Alex was just kind of beating a dead horse although I did like how they actually changed a lot of the station to make it infected by the massive typhon. going back to the beginning and finding a bunch of new areas was pretty cool though. I'm really mixed on the end game tbh. It had some cool parts but was mostly tedious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just FYI, Arkane is involved in (not leading, though) the next Wolfenstein, Youngblood.

“I think players will see a lot of similarities to level design in the Dishonored games, so in that sense it can be a little bit different as an experience but it can be for the benefit of the game, especially when it comes to finding different ways of approaching a combat scenario or a mission in general," -executive producer

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anything would be an improvement over TNC's level design.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Just FYI, Arkane is involved in (not leading, though) the next Wolfenstein, Youngblood.

“I think players will see a lot of similarities to level design in the Dishonored games, so in that sense it can be a little bit different as an experience but it can be for the benefit of the game, especially when it comes to finding different ways of approaching a combat scenario or a mission in general," -executive producer

One of my biggest disappointments of The New Order (I haven't played the others) was that the first few levels after the tutorial teased at Shock/DX style open-ended level design with lots of scope for exploration and sneaking around and picking your approach to battle, and then from like level 2 onwards they 100% forgot about that.

It wasn't the only disappointment and I probably won't pick up Youngblood, but it's good to see Arkane getting some more work, and it's good to see MachineGames both recognizing Arkane's level design chops and realizing that was a weakness in the earlier Wolf games.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
How do you play Mooncrash properly? There are a ton of enemies who are immune to everything and you have no resources, and you're up to Corruption 4, then you die after having spent all your credits and need to start over, except that the game decides it needs to be even harder than it was next time and it is PISSING. ME. OFF.

I still have not unlocked the hacker character.

- I know I'm "supposed" to run the repair and hacker characters first to unlock as much as possible.
- I found the Epic Artix Propulsion Pack chipset that gives you the super-long jump, so that seems like a good thing to take on every run to save some of the hassle of carefully bouncing from rock to rock in the crater.
- I also found the neuromod fabrication plan, as well as the "Corruption timer reset" fabrication plan.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 10, 2019

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

GLOO solves all problems

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

How do you play Mooncrash properly? There are a ton of enemies who are immune to everything and you have no resources, and you're up to Corruption 4, then you die after having spent all your credits and need to start over, except that the game decides it needs to be even harder than it was next time and it is PISSING. ME. OFF.

I still have not unlocked the hacker character.

- I know I'm "supposed" to run the repair and hacker characters first to unlock as much as possible.
- I found the Epic Artix Propulsion Pack chipset that gives you the super-long jump, so that seems like a good thing to take on every run to save some of the hassle of carefully bouncing from rock to rock in the crater.
- I also found the neuromod fabrication plan, as well as the "Corruption timer reset" fabrication plan.

Off the top of my head.

Always kill the landshark in the first area. Learn to do it, it is very easy to do. It gives you an item for more time. You should never be above corruption 1, EVER. Only the last character should go above corruption 1 and it is a story trigger that you cant stop. You should kill all the guys guarding escape routes because they also give those items.

1st character: pick the enginner(the person with the repair skill). Explore the entire base and repair everything. First go to the science area and loot the psy-knife it is the only weapon you need. After you repair and loot everything, put it all in your storage bot and leave the moon.
After your first run and the base is looted all other runs are faster!!!!
2nd chacter: pick the soldier(person with security skill). Take out weapons and items form the storage bot. Unlock everything on the moon. Put all items back in the storage bot and leave the moon.
The last characters are very easy because you have fixed and unlocked everything.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 11, 2019

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Corruption 3 is the best to stay at for risk vs. reward, and how long it stays there. The trick is that as long as corruption doesn't increase, enemies don't respawn. It gets pretty easy once you realize that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

Always kill the landshark in the first area. Learn to do it, it is very easy to do.

This is not a big enough hint to be helpful. It does not die fast enough to shooting it repeatedly, and I see nothing about those "kill towers" or the control room which can be interacted with to make the towers kill it.

I am not enjoying this at all. Most Roguelikes do feature trial-and-error gameplay, but they usually don't have the layouts fixed to such a big degree, and locking out characters until you do certain actions in a certain order is repetitive, and not in a fun way. Maybe I'll come back to it in a week or so and it might seem like fun then.

Prav posted:

i don't think the shark is worth bothering with tbh. just run past it.

That's what I've been doing. I haven't been spending much time trying to kill it. I did look around in vain for that so-called "easy" way, and I did try a brute force shotgun to the face while in maxed Combat Focus, which was ineffective. So I just try and avoid it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 11, 2019

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't think the shark is worth bothering with tbh. just run past it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

You should never be above corruption 1, EVER. Only the last character should go above corruption 1 and it is a story trigger that you cant stop.

The corruption mechanic is a form of difficulty scaling, if you keep it at 1 then the game is too boring and what's even the point.

The moonshark also isn't worth killing imo

This is not a big enough hint to be helpful. It does not die fast enough to shooting it repeatedly, and I see nothing about those "kill towers" or the control room which can be interacted with to make the towers kill it.

I am not enjoying this at all. Most Roguelikes do feature trial-and-error gameplay, but they usually don't have the layouts fixed to such a big degree, and locking out characters until you do certain actions in a certain order is repetitive, and not in a fun way. Maybe I'll come back to it in a week or so and it might seem like fun then.

You only have to unlock characters once, I think that's pretty normal for roguelikes to only unlock characters after you've achieved certain things.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

That's what I've been doing. I haven't been spending much time trying to kill it. I did look around in vain for that so-called "easy" way, and I did try a brute force shotgun to the face while in maxed Combat Focus, which was ineffective. So I just try and avoid it.

You should be able to rock its world with the shotgun and combat focus.

Ok so like you always enter the big area where they warn you there may be a landshark. To your right are some rocks. Those rocks are your base. Stand up there and throw poo poo on the ground to lure the land shark too you. Engineer can just put down turrets and own it. The security guy can just murder it with the shotgun, you might need like a gold shotgun. Which you can get with the engineer in the first run.

You are not supposed to do everything your first run. Gonna take you a bunch of runs to learn all the layouts. Work on the KASMA Orders and slowly learn how to break the game. It is super easy.

I still wish there was last playthrough of mooncrash where you got to be the spoiler character in the ending credits.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 11, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Don’t fight the shark.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

You can also lure the shark to a tentacle nest which will drain its health pretty quickly.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I'm going to buy Mooncrash just so I can kill the shark.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

When you get to the Crew Annex you must resist the temptation to rock out at the jukebox playing Semi Sacred Geometry for an hour until the corruption level hits 5 and you drop dead.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Former Human posted:

When you get to the Crew Annex you must resist the temptation to rock out at the jukebox playing Semi Sacred Geometry for an hour until the corruption level hits 5 and you drop dead.

Don't resist

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have tried Tenzarin's suggestions.

Tenzarin posted:

You should be able to rock its world with the shotgun and combat focus.

This is bullshit. Yes, I used maxed combat focus, maxed damage, and a gold shotgun.

quote:

Engineer can just put down turrets and own it.

This is loving bullshit. Wait, I guess this means the portable ones from your inventory, reinforced? That must be what you mean.

quote:

It is super easy.

This is suuuuuper loving bullshit.

EDIT: Look, I admit that a great number of my deaths are because I am dumb or am forgetting to use my resources properly, but "super easy"? No.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 11, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anything that works on a Nightmare should also work on the Moon Shark; you just have to coax it out of the dirt first.

If you have control modules to spare, you can just use the magic towers in the crater to destroy it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 11, 2019

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Q-Beam the fucker? I don't remember how I did it. I had crafted enough time thingies that I never left corruption level 1. Maybe I robbed myself of something.

Big tip for you though, when you are doing the psy-prisoner guys storyline theres a bit where you get knocked out and wake back up (Being vague here). Do not hurt any typhon after that or you'll have to start the entire series of runs over again. Yes, even the cysts, although they can blow themsleves up no problem. Any damage you do to them ends the quest. It blows.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The answer to the moon shark at any level of corruption is to use a few well-placed tentacle grenades against it. If you don’t have them, use EMP / stun gun against the gate computers to skip ahead until you find them, and if you don’t have those then simply rock hop to get a head start on the moon shark and hang out at an area gate until the moon shark has looked for you and hasn’t found you. You can always come back later.

You are meant to die as you go around collecting permanent adds (schematics and chips), and the key to surviving is finding ways around obstacles until you’re kitted out. If you don’t like that, it’s not a game for you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also, Typhon Lures are a common drop on the corpse you pull the Jetpack from. Use one as you rock hop and make a run for a gate if nothing else.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

according to the wiki, two full charges of a qbeam should kill it completely on corruption 1

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If you haven't already unlocked all the characters and completed most or all of the KASMA challenges, you shouldn't be trying to optimize your runs to get everything done in one go; just focus on the challenges.

Personally, I always just run past the moonshark. It's easy to get past it into the central platform, and from there you can check the station power status and access one of the main areas via underground tunnel.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Yeah, don't go mano y mano with the moon shark - that's more a late-game thing. I always ran straight for the central tower as well.

Use 2x control modules on the killtower consoles in the central tower to kill everything around that tower. You can use the modules from the sublevel below if you know you won't be visiting a certain area. The Engineer can repair modules and Typhon respawn at every Corruption transition, so you can grind up loads of Sim points by reusing the kill towers at each Corruption level, then repairing the modules. You'll eventually get a schematic for control modules so you can start a run pre-packed.

You can short-circuit the forcefields with electricity, e.g. stun gun (once again the MVP) if you just want to book it.

By the end of the game you should be floating 50k+ Sim points easily - that's when you can start worrying about harvesting Corruption timers and which order of characters to run through first.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
After much idiocy and bumbling on my part I finally escaped in the mass driver with the security chief. So some progress. Unfortunately Yu was promptly eaten by the moonshark because I failed to use all my powers to the best of my ability.

Hwurmp posted:

Anything that works on a Nightmare should also work on the Moon Shark; you just have to coax it out of the dirt first.

If you have control modules to spare, you can just use the magic towers in the crater to destroy it.

I looked at those control module things in the tower, but they seem to be lit up green and don't have the slots open like they would if a module was missing, nor is there a prompt to open those slots up, so I don't know what I'm missing with the towers or control room.

ToxicFrog posted:

If you haven't already unlocked all the characters and completed most or all of the KASMA challenges, you shouldn't be trying to optimize your runs to get everything done in one go; just focus on the challenges.

I've been focusing on unlocking all the characters, probably too much, as it has led to a feeling of repetitiveness. I've only just now finished the Security Chief's escape to unlock their story objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

I looked at those control module things in the tower, but they seem to be lit up green and don't have the slots open like they would if a module was missing, nor is there a prompt to open those slots up, so I don't know what I'm missing with the towers or control room.

Yu's mission goes into how to do it.