Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Putting aside what I think Square would actually cut, I've been thinking about how I would cut FF7 to better tell the central story of the game, and I've got a weird question. If you cut every party member aside from the main three, would the game be any worse?

e: four counting Aerith

The Vincent fanbase would probably cut you like a fish before cutting on themselves for fun. :emo:

But really, yes. A game like FFVIIR is really meant for the fans rather than new players, and when you take a hacksaw to it instead of crafting tools to temper and improve it you've fundamentally failed at your goal. And pissed off your target market.

ESPECIALLY when the original version has been made readily available on multiple platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vincent is so pathetic I cant bring myself to use him/recruit him in all my playthroughs after the first.

He will 100% be unskippable in the remake

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Vincent fanbase would probably cut you like a fish before cutting on themselves for fun. :emo:

But really, yes. A game like FFVIIR is really meant for the fans rather than new players, and when you take a hacksaw to it instead of crafting tools to temper and improve it you've fundamentally failed at your goal. And pissed off your target market.

ESPECIALLY when the original version has been made readily available on multiple platforms.

Yeah like I said I'm not talking about any sort of business decisions or fan decisions, I mean how would I, the theoretical editor of the original FF7 in a fun discussion not real experiment, cut the game to make the story better, and I think Cid/Yuffie/Vincent are really high on the list.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm totally convinced that the game won't even have an overworld map you explore. But yeah, those two are high on the list of gone locations, Great Glacier is also up there. I'd guess a lot of smaller dungeons like the Mythril Mines and Cave of Gi. Gold Saucer is my longshot prediction.

Wutai is 100% optional but Fort Condor has some story related stuff. Mythril Mines is the introduction of Tseng so they'd have to move that elsewhere. Cave of Gi is part of Red XIII's characterization and within Cosmo Canyon. They can truncate it but not remove it completely. Gold Saucer is the center of several events, you can't cut it completely without majorly restructuring the story like either dropping Cait Sithe completely or moving him somewhere else. Maybe it's just one room with non-interactive cutscenes but it's part of that game world.

Midgar is a highlight but for me all the post-Midgar stuff is following in Jenova-Sephiroth's shadow. Every location has an eerie stillness to it as it's touched by this eldritch horror from beyond the stars, but also the shadow of Shinra's influence. Wutai is basically post-WWII Japan where they're desperately trying to hold onto their culture but touristy corporate propaganda is covering their rice paper walls. And Fort Condor is the last roost of a mythical creature that's just battered by constant Shinra attacks. Even Zack's hometown is technically an optional area but you see it's this backwoods Podunk ravaged by the nearby reactor.

Every time I go back to FF7 I'm always taken aback by how much world building content there is but you're never required to engage with it. FF7's world is kind of halfway to the World of Ruin. It's linear but the world has been ravaged by Shinra long before Sephiroth actually appears to threaten.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

al-azad posted:

Every time I go back to FF7 I'm always taken aback by how much world building content there is but you're never required to engage with it. FF7's world is kind of halfway to the World of Ruin. It's linear but the world has been ravaged by Shinra long before Sephiroth actually appears to threaten.

I agree with a lot of this stuff, but I think that based on the decisions they've made in regards to almost every FF game after 7, that instead of really engaging with these sorts of really interesting worldbuilding, they're instead going to double down on exploring the relationship between characters, specifically Cloud and Aerith, and cut a lot of the more subtle and nuanced parts of the game.

oh and when I say "explore the relationship" I just mean "more cutscenes," I don't actually think they'll manage to do a great job with a lot of that sort of stuff

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nobody's asking the real important question:

will the remake name her Aerith or Aeris

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

I hope both

some people's copies are Aerith and some are Aeris

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I hope both

some people's copies are Aerith and some are Aeris

dilly dally shilly shally

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I agree with a lot of this stuff, but I think that based on the decisions they've made in regards to almost every FF game after 7, that instead of really engaging with these sorts of really interesting worldbuilding, they're instead going to double down on exploring the relationship between characters, specifically Cloud and Aerith, and cut a lot of the more subtle and nuanced parts of the game.

oh and when I say "explore the relationship" I just mean "more cutscenes," I don't actually think they'll manage to do a great job with a lot of that sort of stuff

See, and maybe this is just because I'm loving high on the game lately, I think FFX has both topnotch worldbuilding and topnotch relationship writing. You can do both, even if XII, XIII and XV couldn't.

I'll just say it. FFX is drat near perfect, 9.5/10. That .5 is only subtracted because the final dungeon is such rear end.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't know why people are theorizing about cuts when the problem with this remake seems to be them inflating everything so much that they're splitting it into multiple games. If anything there's going to be a bunch of extra pointless crap and it'll be another ten years before you play it all.

Amppelix posted:

What's a little bit concerning though is that the first boss looks to be about ten minutes long and have 20 phases. I hope they realise they can't have every encounter in the game be like this or it'll get exhausting very fast.

I think if you consider the number of bosses that are in per volume of course they're going to make them last longer, since there's only going to be so many for the first one. I'm sure there'll be new ones but I'm imagining a scenario where the OG bosses are treated specially.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I were doing my idealized FF7 then my goal is to really drive home the dystopian world ruined by capitalism, which would mean nearly every ancillary location would have to remain. The failed space project, the fallen Japanese empire, the rust belt smog choked towns, and Disney World sitting on top of a prison, accessible through a dirt poor shanty town, are all important aspects to the alien grunginess of FF7's world.

The best moments for me were the characters coming to terms with the hopelessness of their world and Yuffie is the only character (aside from Reeve but the less said the better) who doesn't have an honest to god revelation about the death of her culture but I haven't completed the Pagoda on my replay so I'm going off 20 year old memories.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I don't know why people are theorizing about cuts when the problem with this remake seems to be them inflating everything so much that they're splitting it into multiple games. If anything there's going to be a bunch of extra pointless crap and it'll be another ten years before you play it all.

The reason people are assuming cutting is that the game has some easy breakpoints for where to end a game, but they don't all share equivalent amounts of content between those points. So rather than assume they'll make 5 of these loving things, which is roughly how many it would take given how much midgar represents of the original, they're assuming SE will just cut sections so it doesn't take 20 years to finish this.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hwurmp posted:

Square Enix is going use big data to mine your social media accounts and name her the girl you stalk the most on Instagram.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah like I said I'm not talking about any sort of business decisions or fan decisions, I mean how would I, the theoretical editor of the original FF7 in a fun discussion not real experiment, cut the game to make the story better, and I think Cid/Yuffie/Vincent are really high on the list.
I mean, 'more streamlined' isn't 'better.' Almost all of FF7's charm and wit is contained in the weird side stuff that didn't really need to be in the game. The don corneo thing, gold saucer, wutai. That's the stuff that makes the game feel so alive, and they also contain a ton of the game's best jokes. Cid could be replaced with an air transport vending machine but you wouldn't get 'drink your goddamn tea' or the weird exploration of failed dreams and ambition that makes that part of the game pretty memorable. FF7's a story about a broken, dying planet getitng back a bit of its humanity. You need a bunch of random cul-de-sacs and weird detours to sell that humanity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Of course the issue then becomes 'well, FF7 remake is not going to have every piece of content from FF7 and will probably be much more streamlined, so in that context you could cut some of that stuff' but they aren't going to cut any of those people because it's a remake. That's kind of the issue with making a remake.

I'm mostly just interested in the FF7 remake as a chance to see minor redesigns to the characters and get the greatest hits of FF7, and in that context it'll probably be fine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Disgaea 4 is coming to PS4/Switch and curiously it seems to be something NISA have done on their own because NIS JP hasn't said anything about it.

No new content, just everything from the Vita release I guess.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

she's Aerith on the party UI in the footage they showed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just want new noisy Barret to poke in Jenova's chamber and say "shiiiiit, some headless bitch dat look like yo mamma shiiiiiit."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

her name is now ares and she is the god of war

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

waah posted:

Yuffie is the best sorry not sorry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Disgaea 4 is coming to PS4/Switch and curiously it seems to be something NISA have done on their own because NIS JP hasn't said anything about it.

No new content, just everything from the Vita release I guess.

nis jp is dying because phone game

that could explain them not saying anything, them not being involved, or both

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is Square still going with Tina over Terra because that I will not stand for at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every cast member, even Cait Sith, is good in FFVII. Even Vincent who exists to suck

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

A specific phone game or just in general?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

that could explain them not saying anything, them not being involved, or both

Yeah, who even knows at this point. The entire situation is bizzare.

Andrast posted:

A specific phone game or just in general?

The Disgaea one which launched for about two days and then went into emergency maintenance for a month before getting an announcement that it wouldn't be back from being fixed for another three months more

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Oh, you wanted a Disgaea mobile game?

Gacha.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, who even knows at this point. The entire situation is bizzare.

The Disgaea one which launched for about two days and then went into emergency maintenance for a month before getting an announcement that it wouldn't be back from being fixed for another three months more

Well that sounds like a mess

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

waah posted:

Square Enix is going use big data to mine your social media accounts and name her the girl you stalk the most on Instagram.

Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Carly Rae Jepsen.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think people are overanalyzing the state of the development based on trailers.

If anything it seems more of a common trend that devs these days like to keep the cards close to their chest even for a game thats releasing in less than a year.

RE2 did it and Death Stranding comes out in few months and its a total mystery. Who the gently caress even knows what Cyberpunk devs are doing? What do we actually know about the game?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I think people are overanalyzing the state of the development based on trailers.

If anything it seems more of a common trend that devs these days like to keep the cards close to their chest even for a game thats releasing in less than a year.

RE2 did it and Death Stranding comes out in few months and its a total mystery. Who the gently caress even knows what Cyberpunk devs are doing? What do we actually know about the game?

Cyberpunk had a pretty extensive gameplay showing last year

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Tired Moritz posted:

Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Carly Rae Jepsen.

Hey I just met you
And this is crazy
So here's my number
Impale me maybe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is worth noting that this is not the last of what they are showing of FF7R. There is still almost a year and several major conferences

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I boggles my mind that NIS managed to make a phone game about disgaea that nobody is playing, or at least isn't making them money. Half of gaming in japan is pure gacha and if the trend continues we'll have 3/4 phone poo poo and the rest split between pc and whatever nintendo toy is new at that particular moment. With that said, I've never been able to get into disgaea because of the circus music.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Nintendo is releasing the Secret of Mana collection on Switch today. With Seiken Densetsu 1, 2 and 3!!!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

lagidnam posted:

Nintendo is releasing the Secret of Mana collection on Switch today. With Seiken Densetsu 1, 2 and 3!!!

I'm gonna buy it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah those six seconds of combined footage don't really change my theory of "if they had anything more iconic to show they would have"

The PS4 thread has theorized that this would be part 1 of 2, and that some later plot events would be re-organized or the entire beginning would be expanded upon to make this a full game, but I'm not very sold on that idea. I said the same thing, Midgar was like a tight five hours of game and I'm worried about how they're going to pace things if this is a whole entry in an of itself. I also speculated that they would cut a LOT of poo poo, like the airship and POSSIBLY the entire overworld, the Golden Saucer, and probably the crossdressing mansion part too. Like, if they had modeled and textured Cloud in a dress you know they would've shown that poo poo off

If they cut the part with Cloud crossdressing what the gently caress is even the point of the remake?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lagidnam posted:

Also a remake of 3 is coming that looks like it has an actual budget behind it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ka0 posted:

I boggles my mind that NIS managed to make a phone game about disgaea that nobody is playing, or at least isn't making them money.
literally nobody is playing it. the game is not playable. it was so fundamentally broken that it was pulled immediately from the app store.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Skwirl posted:

If they cut the part with Cloud crossdressing what the gently caress is even the point of the remake?

they literally, specifically confirmed that'd still be in the game lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Ka0 posted:

I boggles my mind that NIS managed to make a phone game about disgaea that nobody is playing, or at least isn't making them money. Half of gaming in japan is pure gacha and if the trend continues we'll have 3/4 phone poo poo and the rest split between pc and whatever nintendo toy is new at that particular moment. With that said, I've never been able to get into disgaea because of the circus music.

bruh, why did you have to say this