Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dehry posted:

Pokemon Home better be some kind of sprite based battle simulator.

Pokemon Home better be loving free and stable as a rock. All I'm thinking about is it's one glitch or hack away from Armageddon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Watch them take my Beast Balls away :sigh:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yikes.

I don’t have any friends that I transfer up, but this is some pretty bad news. And I don’t understand why the hell it’s the case. They already have models and movesets and stats for all the old Pokémon.

I guess we should’ve seen it coming though between SuMo not having a National dex and Let’s Go being limited.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
They're not going put in any Ultra Beasts, are they

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

They already have models and movesets and stats for all the old Pokémon.

Maybe not animations for like petting or whatever you do in the camping segments.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ain't this the thread where people were going "lol if you don't play thru the games with all the new pokemon" anyway? Y'all got your wish.

Being less of a dick, I'd wait for more info on why/how that's gonna work because it's Nintendo, they are always poo poo at explaining stuff. Also it's Game Freak, they're always poo poo at explaining stuff.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Zaphod42 posted:

Then they should stop adding so many new pokemon!

IMO rather than adding a billion pokemon that kids can never learn all of the names of, they should focus on adding divergent evolutions to existing pokemon, or adding 3rd stage evolution to pokemon that only have 1 or 2.

Have more regional variations on pokemon, so maybe a charmander from Sword looks different from a charmander from X/Y.

Having to have ~150 new pokemon in every game is unsustainable and not even a good idea. They're starting to repeat, plus we get weird things like keys pokemon and ice cream pokemon.

The last two gens they added like 80 new pokemon each, so they've been pumping the brakes for a bit now.

Also people have already said this, but the ice cream and keys both fuckin rule.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the ice cream and keys aren’t that good but there’s way worse

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Christ there'd better be a better explanation coming because he loving bombed the poo poo out of trying to make excuses for that one. A big part of pokemon's appeal is being able to KEEP what you catch. This is obnoxious and they loving know it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess its literally just they couldn't afford the budget to model every single pokemon and have to hard cut some of them out of the new game?

Pokémon is the biggest media franchise in the world, they can afford anything

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

Pokémon is the biggest media franchise in the world, they can afford anything

Do they need a flogging or something to remind them who's giving them the money?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So in the Treehouse they showed off that because of the open world-ness of the new game you can go to other areas with wild pokemon much higher level than you. Like their team was 12-14 and they encountered a level 26 Machoke. I wonder if catch rate scales with your highest level Pokemon to prevent you from just catching a super high level Pokemon and steamrolling the game. Will they just not obey you?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat pokemon is canceled lol

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

RatHat posted:

So in the Treehouse they showed off that because of the open world-ness of the new game you can go to other areas with wild pokemon much higher level than you. Like their team was 12-14 and they encountered a level 26 Machoke. I wonder if catch rate scales with your highest level Pokemon to prevent you from just catching a super high level Pokemon and steamrolling the game. Will they just not obey you?

One of my favorite parts of Yellow was when they give you a lvl 30 Dugtrio when you're likely barely even at 20. You can steamroll Lt. Surge's gym super easy with it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

your pokémon friends will always exist in your heart, a condition known as pokecardia

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OgreNoah posted:

One of my favorite parts of Yellow was when they give you a lvl 30 Dugtrio when you're likely barely even at 20. You can steamroll Lt. Surge's gym super easy with it.

I steamrolled the entire game, the League and Mewtwo with that Dugtrio and Body Slam.

I miss my old Dugtrio. He was my super Pokemon.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

100% the ability to transfer non-natives is just going to be locked temporarily and the floodgates will eventually open. They do this every time a new generation comes out. Don't jump to conclusions.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Alxprit posted:

100% the ability to transfer non-natives is just going to be locked temporarily and the floodgates will eventually open. They do this every time a new generation comes out. Don't jump to conclusions.

If this is true, why not just say that this will be fixed in a later update?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

taking the game dev at their word is not jumping to conclusions lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even if they back down on this Home won't be out until 2020 so we'll have Galar-only mons for a while anyway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alxprit posted:

I mean that isn't what they do every time? Home isn't out until well after the game is released, this is clarifying once Home is out we still can't transfer non-Galar mons.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way I only just noticed, but Wingull has become the overworld Zubat at this point huh.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Prob just during rain.

Alternatively I also wouldn't be surprised if this demo had a lot of new pokemon turned off so not to spoil them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way, looks like some new mons in the E3 demo

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1138512412896845826

EDIT: Oh god it's the corgi from the leak
EDIT2: https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1138513209378377728

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

RatHat posted:

By the way, looks like some new mons in the E3 demo

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1138512412896845826

EDIT: Oh god it's the corgi from the leak

Man, I don't know if that's the angle, but it sure looks creepy.

e: Other angle:

de: And some weird Imp thing:

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 11, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So at this point the leak is basically gospel including the part about being angry and upset.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Do people genuinely transfer their pokemon over from other games and use them in the story?

Like wouldn't that give you overlevelled pokemon

Also kind of the point of pokemon games is catching new pokemon in a new world

I just don't get the fume tbqh

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

your pokémon friends will always exist in your heart, a condition known as pokecardia

never let them into your heart in the first place, since they are just tools and weapons

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

EvilHawk posted:

Do people genuinely transfer their pokemon over from other games and use them in the story?

In the series with the tagline "Catch 'em all!" you literally can't Catch them all.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

EvilHawk posted:

Not on the first playthrough, but people absolutely want to use their old stuff post-game/subsequent playthroughs.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

RatHat posted:

In the series with the tagline "Catch 'em all!" you literally can't Catch them all.

You can catch them all in the game which has pretty much been the focus in each game.

You couldn't catch them all in Red or Blue, you had to trade them, which isn't catching them.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

For those worried about their old-mons being gone is Home bugs out, do what I do for bank atm:
Backup save, transfer mons, label safe with obvious name like ORAS FULL DEX so I can always get my mons back in the worst case.

Only old switches being able to be cracked does mess that up for gen 8 tho.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

I play the first game raw and unassisted because that's how I like it. The second time I like having the option to make a team of my own liking with hand bred poekmon. I also like being able to keep all my pokemon in order and safe in storage rather than poke bank. I know in my heart of hearts they'll let you transfer the old pokemon eventually but the way they're going about this is poo poo. Also if say for example if you caught a shiny or carefully bred a pokemon you're not going to want to go through the work of doing it all over agin when you already have one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I transferred Shuckle ASAP on US. Was planning on transferring Arcanine and Lapras too but those were available in-game, I think.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

There's usually one mon from last gen I wanted to use but didn't get around to, I usually just breed a fresh one rather than use the transferee.

On that note though, not having everything could also potentially limit egg moves availability and such.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

RatHat posted:

New tagline revealed: "Catch some!"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way, since that leak is pretty much confirmed it suggests all the starters this time are mono type. So another Gen 2 thing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RatHat posted:

By the way, since that leak is pretty much confirmed it suggests all the starters this time are mono type. So another Gen 2 thing

It only really confirms Scorbunny stays pure Fire tbf.

They could pull a reverse gen V and give us secondary types for the Water and Grass mons. Water/Ghost and Grass/Normal :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flopsy posted:

So at this point the leak is basically gospel including the part about being angry and upset.

it was some random post on 4chan so i don't know why some people are connecting the 'angry and upset' part to the pokemon stuff and not maybe just the person being mad about something entirely unrelated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pokebeach_wpm

The Pokebeach admin already got hands on with the demo and will be posting things soon.