Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nail Rat posted:

Why would the software for the dad's bespoke remote controlled rat be 100% compatible with an AI bot made by a multimillion dollar enterprise?

they both used the same Node module

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The dad scanned the brain of a horse and locked it down to the part that lusts for the death of both itself and everything else.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

Also, why in the world would they even tell Billy about the demand to talk to him if they weren't going to let him? He's in the loving desert, he won't find out otherwise. Just leave him in the dark, he supposedly didn't even know anybody knew where he was. Seems like a crappy attempt at more conflict.

That's just CYA and I can 100% see it happening in a corp. Let's say poo poo goes really south and it's a PR disaster. Billy could rightfully say he was cut out of the loop and throw the COO under the bus. However letting him know but not giving him a choice ends up making him complicit and responsible even if the concensus decision was out of his hands. It was pretty much a direct illustration of what Billy was complaining about

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Smithereens feels like the head of Twitter/Facebook/whatever approached the writers to do an episode painting them in a positive light.

The tech giant:
- has more information on the kidnapper and can access that information faster than the cops.
- basically hacks the guy's phone to listen in, before cluing the cops in, and eventually lets the cops in on it.
- steps on the British police's toes again by calling in the FBI.
- has complete control over the weak-spined FBI agent, which is so mean-spirited it's like some tech giant CEO wrote this character as revenge for being investigated
- tells the FBI to go to hell, they're doing what they want
- is shown to be much more competent at hostage negotiation than the actual hostage negotiator
- contacts the kidnapper without the consent of the police

All of this is done by Smithereen to cover their own rear end in case public perception of them is tainted by a lone wackjob, but also there's this almost secondary concern of keeping their intern alive. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop. I was sure the message of the episode was going to be that tech giants overstepping their role in society was going to cause the kidnapper and victim to die.

Then the CEO was also painted in a good light with his self-pity crap, and as soon as he steps in, his management team is suddenly incompetent and he literally becomes a God figure ("God mode" isn't even subtle) who the kidnapper needs to confess his sins to in order to be at peace.

And the unresolved ending where the lowly intern is given agency and blame for whatever happens... I'm pretty sure this episode was written by Jack.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Danny's once-a-year side piece.

How do people look at the visual shorthand of "one day on a month of a calendar marked off" and come to the conclusion that it's once-a-year and not once-a-month?

Karl even says "what about once a month?" earlier in the episode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WampaLord posted:

How do people look at the visual shorthand of "one day on a month of a calendar marked off" and come to the conclusion that it's once-a-year and not once-a-month?

Karl even says "what about once a month?" earlier in the episode.

It's Danny's birthday. Theo gives him the VR jack as a present.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
What ruined striking vipers for me is that after 99 seconds of loving, a disembodied voice didn't yell "TIME"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

Smithereens feels like the head of Twitter/Facebook/whatever approached the writers to do an episode painting them in a positive light.

The tech giant:
- has more information on the kidnapper and can access that information faster than the cops.
- basically hacks the guy's phone to listen in, before cluing the cops in, and eventually lets the cops in on it.
- steps on the British police's toes again by calling in the FBI.
- has complete control over the weak-spined FBI agent, which is so mean-spirited it's like some tech giant CEO wrote this character as revenge for being investigated
- tells the FBI to go to hell, they're doing what they want
- is shown to be much more competent at hostage negotiation than the actual hostage negotiator
- contacts the kidnapper without the consent of the police

All of this is done by Smithereen to cover their own rear end in case public perception of them is tainted by a lone wackjob, but also there's this almost secondary concern of keeping their intern alive. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop. I was sure the message of the episode was going to be that tech giants overstepping their role in society was going to cause the kidnapper and victim to die.

Then the CEO was also painted in a good light with his self-pity crap, and as soon as he steps in, his management team is suddenly incompetent and he literally becomes a God figure ("God mode" isn't even subtle) who the kidnapper needs to confess his sins to in order to be at peace.

And the unresolved ending where the lowly intern is given agency and blame for whatever happens... I'm pretty sure this episode was written by Jack.

This is what really bugs me about Smithereen. For an episode about how social media is bad, it pulls an absurd amount of punches to the point where it feels toothless as a critique, especially when it's revealed that the hostage taker had no real reason to take the Smithereen guy hostage, the whole thing was an attempt to absolve himself of guilt for something he was personally responsible for. But then it tries to have it both ways by implying that the app is responsible for the crash, because it makes people look at their phones too much?The central message of the episode is some fake deep "we live in a society" type poo poo, and it's way below what I would expect from Charlie Brooker.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Theory for ending of Smithereens. Chris was the one who got shot. Jaden is okay. Simply because it's what Billy expected to happen, and if Billy had died he'd have to immediately do damage control since he was personally involved.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Edit: nevermind

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If he wasnt told about it he'd get mad probably. It's not my favorite episode but I dont think anyone was portrayed unfairly. The hostage taker tries the whole time to take people off script and have a "real" conversation with Billy but even Billy's noncommittal aw shucks contrition "gee it's such a bummer my company is like this" is just routine and meaningless.

It's like he's willing to kill himself to say "can you make your app slightly less addictive, I still think it's sweet tho tbh". Or he was planning on killing himself anyways and he thought this would be an ok thing to do. There are these peripherally bad things related to privacy stuff like listening in on phone conversations, using them while driving, accessing user data with god mode, but no real articulated critique of actual social media in the episode (which might be the point? Not that social media is good, but that nobody has a problem with the grieving mom's belief that the truth behind her daughter is somewhere in her smithereen account).

Again I'm still not sure about the ep in general it's certainly an odd one.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 11, 2019

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Andrew Scott knocked it out of the park.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh brooker mentioned in an interview that he understood the striking vipers ending as a once a year meetup not a once a month one. That's way sadder for poor Karl.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fun fact: Anne Sewitsky who directed the Miley Cyrus episode also directed Homesick (De Nærmeste) which is one helluva trip: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4210992/

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Normy posted:

Anthony Mackie, Andrew Scott and Miley Cyrus knocked it out of the park.

I must say all the famous actors carried their episodes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Theory for ending of Smithereens. Chris was the one who got shot. Jaden is okay.

Was that supposed to be ambiguous?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Was that supposed to be ambiguous?

Yes? I mean, they don't show it and there's no solid indication either way. IMO, the snipers constantly missing throughout the episode and Billy's reaction make me lean toward the intern being the one who got shot, but it could really go either way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

Yes? I mean, they don't show it and there's no solid indication either way. IMO, the snipers constantly missing throughout the episode and Billy's reaction make me lean toward the intern being the one who got shot, but it could really go either way.

I just assumed that Chris got shot.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

El Jeffe posted:

None of the people at the hostage situation seemed to react as if they had shot the hostage by accident. Billy was the only one to really have a shocked reaction, probably because he was the only person who actually knew the hostage taker's story and saw him as anything other than a dangerous criminal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/947370500040179712

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fortunately i think BM has avoided that particular cliche.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

No Wave posted:

Fortunately i think BM has avoided that particular cliche.

I dunno, White Christmas kind of goes that way a little bit.

So does USS Callister since he ends up trapped while his creations go free.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

El Jeffe posted:

The snipers were bad but not that bad I don't think. Anyway the reaction would have been a lot worse had the intern died. And there probably would have been another gunshot.

edit: adding spoiler tags for a new season episode.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 11, 2019

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Loved that the snipers just couldn't get a freaking shot! Unless they moved 100 feet lmao

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

orange sky posted:

Loved that the snipers just couldn't get a freaking shot! Unless they moved 100 feet lmao

Yeah, positioning himself in a perfect line with the hostage and the criminal is a bit of a blunder. You'd think that he'd catch on to it after staring at them for a couple minutes.
"For some reason their position in this stationary car doesn't seem to get better. Well, I already set up the rifle and moving somewhere else is a bit of a hassle. Besides, it's way prettier from here. Let's just see what happens.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Normy posted:

Andrew Scott knocked it out of the park.

Definitely, he sells the poo poo out of the triteness of it all. "Look up from your phones" is some bad PSA levels of messaging, but he brings so goddamn much intensity to it.

I'm one of the only people who liked "Ashley Too" in my friend group. Yes, it's saying a lot of things "15 Million Merits" said better years ago, but the specific focus on femininity under capitalism is good stuff. Pop "empowerment" ballads have always bothered me, and this episode really nails down why: aspirational pop-feminism is always tied to consumption, so any real social or systemic critique it might hit upon gets excised or neutered. There's no space in that framework of "empowerment" to express real anger or sadness about the world...it's always a simplified narrative where your problems are solved by "being strong," or "choosing happiness," or "speaking your truth." Basically, performing femininity as untroubled and confident, and internalizing transformation rather than challenging specific structures outside yourself to change.

"Head Like a Hole" isn't just an edgy industrial rock song, it's also explicitly anti-capitalist. The episode doesn't forget that. I liked it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Definitely, he sells the poo poo out of the triteness of it all. "Look up from your phones" is some bad PSA levels of messaging, but he brings so goddamn much intensity to it.

I'm one of the only people who liked "Ashley Too" in my friend group. Yes, it's saying a lot of things "15 Million Merits" said better years ago, but the specific focus on femininity under capitalism is good stuff. Pop "empowerment" ballads have always bothered me, and this episode really nails down why: aspirational pop-feminism is always tied to consumption, so any real social or systemic critique it might hit upon gets excised or neutered. There's no space in that framework of "empowerment" to express real anger or sadness about the world...it's always a simplified narrative where your problems are solved by "being strong," or "choosing happiness," or "speaking your truth." Basically, performing femininity as untroubled and confident, and internalizing transformation rather than challenging specific structures outside yourself to change.

"Head Like a Hole" isn't just an edgy industrial rock song, it's also explicitly anti-capitalist. The episode doesn't forget that. I liked it.

One thing I kind of wish they did more with in the episode, especially since Brooker said that it was one of the inspirations for it, is the ghoulish way that dead celebrities are used to promote causes they might not have supported, or hell, just selling more poo poo. Like there seems to be this unspoken assumption that once someone is in the public eye they lose any sort of autonomy over their identity so it's totally fine to use their image without their consent after their death. Even if they explicitly told people not to do that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I kind of wish they did more with in the episode, especially since Brooker said that it was one of the inspirations for it, is the ghoulish way that dead celebrities are used to promote causes they might not have supported, or hell, just selling more poo poo. Like there seems to be this unspoken assumption that once someone is in the public eye they lose any sort of autonomy over their identity so it's totally fine to use their image without their consent after their death. Even if they explicitly told people not to do that.

Hell yes. That's basically my fanfic for a whole episode. Some franchise film actress dies tragically, and a studio Rogue One's her likeness into a simulated persona that they now own and exploit in increasingly scummy, dehumanizing ways.

I was pretty into that aspect of this episode, but I'd probably have been upset if they focused on it more without going all-in with the premise. There's so much about that poo poo that's upsetting and bizarre.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the season is a meta commentary on how apparently there's a police car around every corner eyeing you i guess

the robot was funny and the hostage sitch was kept my attention well enough so i'll give it that. kind of feels like black mirror didn't really keep up with the world though? the episodes didn't really have any punch. an episode on social media being addictive and companies having tons of data access, having one weird guy being able to just look at it all- it's hardly original at this point. did anyone have a reaction other than... ok, and?

i echo lifelynx on smithereens and cheshire cat's idea for ashley too would have been better. all the episodes just missed the mark.

e2: it's playing them in different orders for everyone, i've seen all 3 said. it was ashley/vipers/smithereens for me. is this going to be something where they gauge people's reactions to the episodes based on what order they saw them in like the facebook thing where they tried to manipulate people's emotions by ordering their timelines? there's going to be an episode about this isn't there.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 12, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Quotey posted:

the season is a meta commentary on how apparently there's a police car around every corner eyeing you i guess

Yeah, good point. The cops are fully awake in this season, they roll up on the protagonists in seconds flat in literally every episode.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, good point. The cops are fully awake in this season, they roll up on the protagonists in seconds flat in literally every episode.

I was so expecting for them to get out of the car to the striking vipers guys rolling around the tarmac in a passionate embrace

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Did the Ashley Too's really got withdrawn due to battery problems?

Or were they considered a security risk for some other reason?
The robot owned though, only the plug-in-butt joke was ridiculous.

Also I laughed hard at the fangirls in the end that were disgusted with the new music in a raunchy bar :D

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

They were recalled and discontinued due the them freaking out when they found out they were in a coma.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Alhazred posted:

If anything the last episode is another argument for that screenwriters should not write songs.

They’re all Nine Inch Nails songs “””reimagined””” apart from the final performance which is just NIN - Head Like A Hole performed badly

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Striking Vipers bothered me in that it's portrayed as this secret thing between bros, but it's obviously a mainstream game on what's essentially Playstation VR. It went on way too long for the wife to not have at least caught a news blurb about "The video game that's actually a gently caress club. Think of the Children!" . Like, imagine you being able to gently caress the characters in Mortal Kombat XI today, not even virtually but with QTEs . That'd be blasted on every conservative tabloid within minutes of discovery.

The alternative was that Anthony Mackie was always playing it when his wife was asleep, but that's just goofy at that point.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just watched Smithereens, and it was a fantastic character drama. I was invested through and through, but man the politics. It portrays @jack as sympathetic, as a victim of circumstances and business. The problem with Twitter isn't that it's addictive, the problem with Twitter is that it's encouraging people to shoot up mosques.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Thundercracker posted:

Striking Vipers bothered me in that it's portrayed as this secret thing between bros, but it's obviously a mainstream game on what's essentially Playstation VR. It went on way too long for the wife to not have at least caught a news blurb about "The video game that's actually a gently caress club. Think of the Children!" . Like, imagine you being able to gently caress the characters in Mortal Kombat XI today, not even virtually but with QTEs . That'd be blasted on every conservative tabloid within minutes of discovery.

Spoken like a guy without a VR headset haha.

That kind of thing is going to be intrinsic to any VR experience, all the more so when it's as realistic as the VR setup in Striking Vipers. You're there. You're controlling what feels like your own body. You're probably going to be able to perform any action your real body is capable of, plus throw fireballs or whatever. You could probably gently caress the horses in Barbie Horse Adventure if you wanted to, just because you're there, standing behind the horse. If there was going to be an outcry, it would have happened when they originally released the Playstation 7 or whatever it was.

e: Actually, I'm watching USS Callister now and there's no genitals in Space Fleet haha. That would turn a Star Trek game into some nightmare fuel imo.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 12, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

gbs but from 2004 posted:

They’re all Nine Inch Nails songs “””reimagined””” apart from the final performance which is just NIN - Head Like A Hole performed badly

What other songs were used?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Zachack posted:

What other songs were used?

Right Where it Belongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows

Evernoob posted:

Did the Ashley Too's really got withdrawn due to battery problems?

Or were they considered a security risk for some other reason?
The robot owned though, only the plug-in-butt joke was ridiculous.

Also I laughed hard at the fangirls in the end that were disgusted with the new music in a raunchy bar :D

It might have been because they realized there was a risk of them being jailbroken and they couldn't have that happen.