Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Our devious plot to increase our population via irradiated refugees is going swimmingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Could you imagine the existential terror of living in a Central European city during this war

I can't imagine not fleeing to the countryside

Germany is probably completely depopulated even in the places that didn't get nuked.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Both sides probably stationed troops outside metropolitan areas to keep people in, lest the very base of society and economic production collapse.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly even if we lost to the Russians, we at least dismembered Morocco and France.

Also with England getting crushed and nuked they can always move back to the newly formed nation of England!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

How close are any other powers to nuclear weapons, primarily Manchuria and the Berber Union (good lord it's big)?

The Berbers have already used a nuke, the Manchurians never even started down the tree. Benin were a ways off while Morocco Usturaliya got quite close, they had one tech left.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

catlord posted:

drat. It will be a shame to see this LP end, but also a relief because frankly this has probably been the most stressful one I've ever read. I hope you do another LP at some point, though I wouldn't blame you for taking a long break.

I'll probably do something else at some point, but not another mega-campaign for a long time. Not with march of the eagles though, and I probably won't even use hoi again, since the AI makes things very frustrating.

Might resurrect that old idea for a legislative ck2 LP, since I've got some interesting ideas there.

WilliamAnderson posted:

The Germans will probably despise both sides forever. Are there any cities in Europe that were untouched by this or the last war?

The Latin Empire and Jizrunid Isle, everyone else got involved sooner or later.

V. Illych L. posted:

how the gently caress do the russians still have a million and a half of manpower

Yeah they went scraping the barrel, so they pumped out a shitton of divisions. I had to go all adults serve towards the end just to keep up.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 11, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I started reading this LP a couple months ago and kind of saved it for boring afternoons at work. I finally got to the end yesterday...right as the world nuked itself into oblivion.

This was a fantastic read and a great effort and should be preserved for all times!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

russia op pls nerf

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Adolf Hitler posted:

russia op pls nerf

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hashim posted:

Yeah they went scraping the barrel, so they pumped out a shitton of divisions. I had to go all adults serve towards the end just to keep up.

So what you're saying is that our coward "Iron" leader has capitulated, just as the Russians were FINALLY reaching their limit? We just needed one more great encirclement, and hegemony could have been ours....

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hashim posted:

The Latin Empire and Jizrunid Isle, everyone else got involved sooner or later.

Haha, once the goons weren’t advising them, the Jizrunids made pretty decent choices.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So what you're saying is that our coward "Iron" leader has capitulated, just as the Russians were FINALLY reaching their limit? We just needed one more great encirclement, and hegemony could have been ours....

What's a good Spanish variation on "stabbed in the back myth"?

EDIT: La mito del apuñalado por la espalda.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 11, 2019

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Clearly the Shura must depose the coward Mizanur and continue this war at any cost

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, that was an intense update.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

By the time that we would have started winning the conventional war, fusion bombs would probably have been invented. Peace is the only sane option.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sanity is the path of the weak, nuke Smolensk now.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Snipee posted:

By the time that we would have started winning the conventional war, fusion bombs would probably have been invented. Peace is the only sane option.

I think by now we've established that over half the Shura is, shall we say, less than interested in taking the sane option.

Mizanur or his successor purging the halls might be a net good at this point.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Clearly the Shura must depose the coward Mizanur and continue this war at any cost

The leader the revolution needs.

e: btw did my admiral accomplish anything of note?

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 11, 2019

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

:golfclap:

P.S. what happened to the minister/commander I had? Nadiya what's-her-name.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

The leader the revolution needs.

:swoon:

I approve

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'm glad my in game Avatar in the Berber Union nuclear program got his hands bloody and his soul damned to hell for eternity. woo!

and yeah as somebody else said the rate of production seemed ahistorically fast, as did the whole nuclear arms race

great, great lp though. this is a masterpiece and I can't wait to see more from you. if you're not one of the ones paradox has snapped up already I hope they get off their asses after this, or your next one

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i absolutely adore how you managed to resist making us the good guy and how you gave us poisoned choices which were nonetheless reasonably fair, given context. just having us go full stalinist when we had our revolution was absolutely excellent

do we get a post-war conference to redraw borders? seems as though we may want to unify france and/or the british isles in the face of our cold-war type of situation, but them being set might make sense

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the one touch that i never would've expected to make such a difference was putting garroting in the place of the guillotine in history

like, we can picture events and movements and causes when somebody posts :thermidor: but garroting is just an awful thing to do to someone. it forces us to confront at least some pale shadow of the 'reality' we're voting on when something historical yet novel is used

or maybe that's just me

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
So instead of the bipolar Cold War we had in the real timeline, we instead have four great powers emerging from the ashes of the last World War, three of which have nuclear weapons. International relations theory says that in this new timeline, humanity most likely won't survive.

Good stuff.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
This world now has two (or more?) continent-sized liberal democratic superpowers. Communism now has... Iberia and a collection of Western European and North African rump states, and the enmity of the rest of the world. What was the refusal of Russia's (initially reasonable) peace terms except outright greed and hubris? Iberia defeated and dismantled its fascist and reactionary neighbours, but what kind of future does it now really have?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Russia's a military dictatorship and also just got demographically obliterated, and the communist bloc controls the heartlands of Iberia, the Franks, and the Moroccans. Sitting on top of the three largest/oldest metropoles is one hell of an advantage, even if the colonies are gone the territory we have is still some of the most densely populated and industrially advanced in the world. Al-Andalus certainly doesn't dominate the planet, but they're in a very solid position. Better than OTL's Soviet Union at the end of the war, I'd even argue.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 12, 2019

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Was really hoping this would just end with an arbitrary third Fitna, but I guess life is full of little disappointments. Poor Germany, Jesus loving Christ.

It's been a pleasure absolutely ruining the world with you, gentlegoons.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah the russians took fifteen million military deaths, almost twice what OTL soviet union did, and they suffered almost as harsh an occupation from their fascist invader. they've had two coups in the last ten years, and that's actually the only way their government has changed - the dude in charge now is there only because of the war and has no civilian legitimacy and no power base but the army

the gharbians are basically equivalent to our USA, and remain the premier superpower. al-andalus are, however, a real contender for number two

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
In terms of unsullied industrial heartland you have al andalus, the Berber union and that’s basically it.

Japan and Benin are intact but where largely second tear powers. Maybe the celts depending on where things got built. Every other industrial heartland has been ground to dust via years of mechanized combat and bombing.

Russia will go bankrupt trying to rebuild and maintain the pace of nuclear production, an actual postwar concern would be where their destitute nuclear program scientists end up. They are a proliferation nightmare.

Depending on how much the Berber union tries to hold onto they could be locked in to decades of low intensity conflict across large chunks of North America.

Not to say everything will be fine for us, the remnants of Morocco will be especially problematic, but compared to our peers we have a straightforward path.

And that’s why humanity is doomed.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

So in our timeline, George Kennan identified five key industrial/economic areas that were essential for global power in the post World War world, that the US needed to secure at least 4 of: the Rhine river valley, US, UK, Japan and the Soviet Union.

If Kennan were writing in this world, and to build off of Everydayfalls' post, the central loci of powers in the globe are the Iberian peninsula, literally all of Central and Southern America, anything in Russia east of Smolensk, Manchuria and, arguably, the Middle East or UK (though balkanization limited the potential of the latter).

Andalusi foreign policy post conflict would most likely focus on strengthening middle eastern positions/access to oil, helping the Balkans recover as a closer check to Russian resurgence, "peacekeeping" in former Germany, and all the while trying to find a way to counter Berber ambitions.

Sorry for the speculation, but as an international relations scholar and professor this kind of counterfactual spitting in the wind is a wonderful opportunity to evaluate theory and practice

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Wtf happened to Scandinavia at the end there? And how did we avoid nuking any of their cities

Those smug Swedish bastards deserve the nukes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Crazycryodude posted:

Russia's a military dictatorship and also just got demographically obliterated, and the communist bloc controls the heartlands of Iberia, the Franks, and the Moroccans. Sitting on top of the three largest/oldest metropoles is one hell of an advantage, even if the colonies are gone the territory we have is still some of the most densely populated and industrially advanced in the world. Al-Andalus certainly doesn't dominate the planet, but they're in a very solid position. Better than OTL's Soviet Union at the end of the war, I'd even argue.

In the fiction, I think this assumes the Frankish French and Moroccans are going to forget several generations of hostilities and us brutally dismantling their global empires. Our hold on Germany and Batavia is also probably shaky. I imagine what remains of their countries' leadership is more than a bit miffed that we and Russia used their cities to test out our nuclear weapons.

We might be able to hold onto one of these but I wouldn't be surprised if all tried to bolt the moment we let down our guard.

E: Of course, seeing as we're at the end, Hashim can do whatever he likes for the ending. Maybe we'll get a thousand years of uninterrupted Iberian–Moroccan friendship.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 12, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

how far into south america did the fighting ever get? as far as i can remember, the places where gharbia would probably have its industry* edit i forgot to finish this sentence whatever it was boring anyway

* here's a classy old map that gives some idea where it might be

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 12, 2019

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

ManifunkDestiny posted:

So in our timeline, George Kennan identified five key industrial/economic areas that were essential for global power in the post World War world, that the US needed to secure at least 4 of: the Rhine river valley, US, UK, Japan and the Soviet Union.

If Kennan were writing in this world, and to build off of Everydayfalls' post, the central loci of powers in the globe are the Iberian peninsula, literally all of Central and Southern America, anything in Russia east of Smolensk, Manchuria and, arguably, the Middle East or UK (though balkanization limited the potential of the latter).

Andalusi foreign policy post conflict would most likely focus on strengthening middle eastern positions/access to oil, helping the Balkans recover as a closer check to Russian resurgence, "peacekeeping" in former Germany, and all the while trying to find a way to counter Berber ambitions.

Sorry for the speculation, but as an international relations scholar and professor this kind of counterfactual spitting in the wind is a wonderful opportunity to evaluate theory and practice

Mostly points I would agree with, but remember that Central America was the focus of a brutal civil war and the the English and Berber powers fighting over the remains.

Really the only areas that didn’t see armed conflicts where South America below the equator, the Iberian peninsula, the benise heartland. Possibly Japan but we didn’t see much of them and maybe the Middle East. Frankly as many people that died in the armed conflict the famines that are about to grip the world will be far worse.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

oystertoadfish posted:

how far into south america did the fighting ever get? as far as i can remember, the places where gharbia would probably have its industry*

* here's a classy old map that gives some idea where it might be

I don't think there was ever any fighting in the Berber heartland, just some of the northern/western South Gharbian countries the Berbers annexed.

Also, as far as identifying industrial heartlands goes, perhaps these pop density mapmodes from 1836 and 1936 would help enlighten us in the case of Europe

1836:
1936:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Not being as familiar with HoI4 as I am with other Paradox games, Hashim is there a way you can pull demographic info, primarily population and industrial capacity? What are the biggest cities in this timeline?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

We definitely made it out of this war with more overall pops in our bloc overall, we've won the long game and the last four years of nuclear warfare were invaluable for accelerating our long term advantage.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah looking at the 1936 population map, every pink/red area east of the Rhine doesn't exist anymore, and the ones that are left are all in the communist bloc. Now, the bloc may not be that easy to hold together, but they're in a pretty drat good condition compared to how hosed the rest of the continent is.

Mind you, this is mostly a testament to how hosed the rest of the continent is.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 12, 2019

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Crazycryodude posted:

Mind you, this is mostly a testament to how hosed the rest of the continent is.

We are the living embodiment of the DEFCON catch phrase: "Nobody wins a nuclear war... but maybe you can lose the least". :cryingMizanurOnAlAndalusFlag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
The biggest beneficiaries of the Second World War are the Berbers, Iberians, Manchurians, and Russians in that order. I’m still not sure how Bengalis will come out of their war against the Moroccans, but if they secure the Indian subcontinent, then they would be up there with the Manchurians.

The Berbers are the undisputed victors with two continents worth of resources and population. We have managed to take control of Western Europe, but we still don’t have enough access to oil and other resources (unless Hashim is going to conquer all of the Egyptians’ African holdings). The Manchurians have control of the most populated parts of China and all of Korea, but they are technologically behind and lack crucial resources within their borders.

And well... I do not envy the Russians at all. They managed to secure an armistice, but their population has suffered 15 million military deaths, not to mention the Frankish occupation and multiple sackings of Smolensk. They are in a far worse position than our timeline’s Soviet Union even if they have more resources within their borders and more influence in the Middle East.

e: I just realized that we have conquered all of the most holy cities in the Abrahamic traditions. The most atheist bloc holds Jerusalem, Rome, Mecca, and Medina... this might turn out quite bad for us in the long run.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 12, 2019