Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Lavender posted:

I just started Horizon: ZD, about 7 hours - just got out of the Embrace, and I just have this strong feeling like I've already seen 95% of what I'm going to be doing for the next 60 hours. Hopefully, I'm not quite right, but the gameplay loop has already kind of worn itself out for me. Creep on a robot, whistle at it, shock it or freeze it, jam my stick in it.

I also don't really get Aloy's character. Maybe there are flashbacks upcoming, but I'm wondering when she overcame being universally shunned and spat upon time after crushing time - to becoming the Embrace's most elegant conversationalist who almost everyone she meets has no problem with.

The robot variety increases dramatically once you leave the Embrace. Although the whistle and stab things routine works on people throughout the entire game.

As for Aloy, once you leave the area, the rest of the people don't give a poo poo that the Nora don't like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Horizon Zero Dawn is provably the 43rd best game in the last 8 and a half years

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
It is pretty though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

Has Pokemon always been this grindy, and I didn't realize it when I was younger?

I need to level up some of my relatively-unused Pokemon for a fight in Let's Go so my type matchups are better, and man is it annoying to catch a bunch of the same Pokemon (if they show up, with :lol:, and it's a zone near me because I don't have Fly to just properly fast-travel places) seeing the bar creep up by a handful of pixels each time.

In the og pokemon red/blue you duped rare candies and stuff your pokemon full of steroids to avoid any grinding.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

In the og pokemon red/blue you duped rare candies and stuff your pokemon full of steroids to avoid any grinding.

Well, duh, I thought I didn't have to explain that part of it. :)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Iirc let's Go! has chaining the same mons give out increasingly more xp as the fast xp method. Just go catch like 100 zubats in a row.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TheMaskedUgly posted:

It is pretty though

The body-part/elemental-effect combo system is pretty neat, but Aloy aims so slowly compared to how fast everything is that it's a nightmare trying to hit anything precisely. It's easier just to blast them in the middle with tearblast arrows until something important falls off.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Iirc let's Go! has chaining the same mons give out increasingly more xp as the fast xp method. Just go catch like 100 zubats in a row.

Yup, that is a thing, a thing I mentioned in the post you forgot to read, presumably.

It'd be nice if I was anywhere close to anywhere with a shallow pool of mons like that, which I also mentioned.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BiggerBoat posted:

I get it.

For insance, I've read and seen enough about RDR2 to know that there's a ton of poo poo in that game that really drag it down for me.

I wish I WISH I had listened to myself when I said that RDR2 just sounded like it wasn't my thing. I bought it on sale for half price and 10 hours in deeply regret that decision.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Battletech:

There's a few things with this game that make it wear down on me. At its base it's a great game: Giant mechs fight other giant mechs. It's a lot like x-com in gameplay, and shares some of the issues.

- You can never deploy more than (or fewer than) 4 mechs on a mission, regardless of weight class. Meanwhile the enemy has no such limit. Early game there's a good chance you have more mechs than them, but by midgame it's almost always a 4v6/8. Endgame it's at minimum 4v8, sometimes as bad as 4v12. By that point you're running four of the heaviest mechs you have every mission or you'll lose the fight by sheer attrition.
- Light mechs are useless. They get more Evasion charges (increasing chance of enemy attacks missing), but every time something shoots at them they lose one charge. And they move first in the turn order. So you move a light mech, and over the rest of the round every single enemy mech shoots at them so by the end of the round it's lost every charge and taken a bunch of damage because of the ridiculous amount of focus fire.
- some weapons are basically useless. AC2 is supposed to be a high-range gun so you can sit back and plink, but since it needs direct LOS and does as much damage as a medium laser (at six times the weight) and sight ranges are so bad even using it regularly needs a dedicated spotter mech and jumpjets. Almost anything that can mount the AC2 would be better off with any of the other autocannons. PPCs are also in this category, since they only do 10 more damage than a large laser at similar range for two more tons and double the heat. They do cause "sensor impairment", but that's entirely trivial (something like +2 difficulty on shots).
- Contracts in this game are mostly random, and only three or so ever get posted at a time. They refresh every couple of in-game weeks, and pick planets in your radius at semi-random. So you could pick a contract at a planet ten days away where all your current contracts are, and by the time you get them you can complete that one and the other two are gone. So you spend a lot of time just flying around not actually making money.
- Most of your mechs come from salvaging battlefields. The less damage you do to a target to kill it, the more salvage it can drop. This is a good way to do it. But the mechs used in combat are based on who you're fighting and where on the map, with no indication whatsoever as to what comes from where. So if you have 2/3 of a mech there's a good chance you won't find the third part at all.
- The story is not great but that's not what you're here for, is it. There is one mission about halfway through the game that I loving hate though. It's a battle against around 8 mechs and a bunch of turrets with a primary objective across the map, very poor cover, and as soon as you accomplish the objective an assault lance spawns on highground. And it has a hard time limit to complete the objective, and then you have to fight the assaults. The big bad in this mission is a Catapult K2, which has twin PPCS and the heat sinks to fire them instead of missiles like the standard catapult. If you use the Precision Strike ability you can't try to increase the chance of a head hit, because surprise surprise she comes back in the very last mission of the game

And the biggest problem:
- There are guns that fire in melee, but they take a special small weapon slot and none of the fast big mechs have very many so you can't just make a punchbot that kills everything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Light mechs are meant to reserve to the end of the turn, run in and shoot, then run away at the start of the next turn.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

JackSplater posted:

Battletech:
And the biggest problem:
- There are guns that fire in melee, but they take a special small weapon slot and none of the fast big mechs have very many so you can't just make a punchbot that kills everything.

Grasshopper. You can decimate just about anything except the heaviest mechs in one round with a melee to the back and a billion small lasers or MGs or even flamers. Strong enough to take a few big shots or one shot a bigger vehicle too.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

DyneAvenger posted:

Grasshopper. You can decimate just about anything except the heaviest mechs in one round with a melee to the back and a billion small lasers or MGs or even flamers. Strong enough to take a few big shots or one shot a bigger vehicle too.

Which loops back to one of my other issues. My first run through the game I saw exactly two grasshoppers over the entire game. Had no idea where to find more.

Also, on release Urbanmechs only existed in stores and a tutorial mission. Which is a drat shame.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finally pulled the trigger on the HZD dlc with the Days of Play sale.

It's not the games fault that I don't remember how the hell to play but it's dragging things down because I have all these purple weapons and so many drat modifications but gently caress if I remember what anything is or does.

And I don't really want to start a new game and replay everything just to see the dlc story

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
That's the problem I'm having with Sekiro at the minute; I put it down because it was kicking my rear end, and now I've picked it up again, and not only is it still kicking my rear end, I don't remember how to do anything

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I finally got the Guardian Ape's attack-pattern down to a tee and killed him for the time being. Now I'm struggling on the three recycled mini-bosses that come after him and it's as if I haven't beat poo poo.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

JackSplater posted:

Which loops back to one of my other issues. My first run through the game I saw exactly two grasshoppers over the entire game. Had no idea where to find more.

Also, on release Urbanmechs only existed in stores and a tutorial mission. Which is a drat shame.

It's also based on the tabletop rules which I hadn't played in a decade before getting the game so I was in for a bad time until it all came back to me

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

10 Beers posted:

I wish I WISH I had listened to myself when I said that RDR2 just sounded like it wasn't my thing. I bought it on sale for half price and 10 hours in deeply regret that decision.

Can you get into specifics or is it mainly all the obvious stuff that's already been hashed over?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

TheMaskedUgly posted:

That's the problem I'm having with Sekiro at the minute; I put it down because it was kicking my rear end, and now I've picked it up again, and not only is it still kicking my rear end, I don't remember how to do anything

More games need, like, a warm-up tutorial mode. Something to remind you of how the game functions when you put it down for a while then pick it up later.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you get into specifics or is it mainly all the obvious stuff that's already been hashed over?

I'm not sure what's been hashed over, but when the game starts it's very slow. You spend, I don't know, maybe two hours trudging through snowy mountains for the tutorial and it's like it's dull and dragging and boring for the sake of realism. And once you get out of the mountains you have to worry about how clean your clothes are, what clothes to wear in what temperatures, eating enough, drinking enough, feeding and brushing your horse enough, keeping your guns oiled, etc etc. Just every day boring minutiea that just drags it all down for me. I've heard you don't have to do all that stuff, but you get penalized if you don't. On top of all that I don't care about any of the characters and don't care for the combat, so I put it down and haven't touched it since.

I will say though, the game is really pretty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schubalts posted:

That's what finding the bracketed strings are for. Strings enclosed in brackets remove a dud password, or refill your attempts.

On the other hand, it annoys me that finding those bracketed strings is just busywork and the result is random (and actually the number of those you get is also random, I think). Too often I need my tries reset and instead it removes a dud I already know is a dud. And I would never try to remove duds early because what if I get a reset before I've spent enough tries first? :ohdear:

Hedgehog Pie posted:

You're definitely right on the narrative logistics side of things though I'm not sure if I agree about the characters... except for The Boss who is a legitimately interesting MGS character with little camp value. I acknowledge that MGS2's excuse of "the characters are supposed to be two-dimensional!!" is an extremely slippery one, and I do think that the cutscenes in MGS3 have some really great moments of animation that probably hadn't been seen in the series up to that point. I'm just not a fan of the pacing, at least in the opening act.

I'm probably just frustrated at not being as good at 3 as I am at 2, and I'm not sure why that is (no one else seems to struggle with it!). Maybe I should just start again on easy or something.

I've only experienced it secondhand (first time was actually a buddy buying Subsistence and playing the "movie" version for me, from then on the Chip and Ironicus LP) but I thought MGS3's pacing wasn't great either.

And while it is a fine game on its own merits, it was also certainly buoyed thanks to people who hated MGS2 and were just happy to be playing as Snake again. Of course, nowadays MGS2 has been re-evaluated for its meta-commentary and prescient writing while people don't really talk about MGS3 in terms of its story.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I forgot to eat for like, 90% of RDR2, I think by the end the game was begging me to please feed the poor cowboy

My horses always got their favorite snacks, proper accessories, and brushies though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vampyr: I've got so much time for Don't Nod, the writing is great, the voice acting is awesome and it's really atmospheric. But the loading times are ridiculous. 1-2 mins when you die and start the game, random loading screens when you enter buildings and load pauses as you move around the city as it struggles to load the environments. How can you gently caress up an Unreal Engine game this much?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I feel I'm getting Better at God of War PS4 after starting it over but this time trying to find all the stuff I can, like that one enemy in Escape the Ruins that's level 3, I actually managed to kill although it took a few tries due to it 2-shotting me, so that felt pretty good. I do dig that it's pretty much pure skill based, but my problem is that the Ogre's suck to fight (the giant dudes with the big columns). They just aren't any fun, they have far too much health.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I forgot to eat for like, 90% of RDR2, I think by the end the game was begging me to please feed the poor cowboy

Cowboy needs food, badly!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
To tell the truth, I've rarely had to eat or drink in either of the two playthroughs I've done of RDR2. If you're not going to eat or drink then you need to sleep, but that comes with the added bonus of letting you reset the time to morning so you can actually see stuff again, and can be done easily at most camps or towns.

My complaint would be that the "cores" are really small and badly explained - I didn't fully get how they worked or how to heal them until about halfway through my first playthrough. The game also has the issue of not letting you set up camp because you're too close to "activity", even if you're out in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight, but this was a problem with the first game too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

I do dig that it's pretty much pure skill based

It really, really isn't which is probably the major flaw in the game. One level makes one hell of a difference.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How do those levels work anyway? I know you use points up buy moves and money to upgrade weapons, but what about Kratos' personal level? What makes that go up, it still seems to be at level 1 at the Lake of the 9 Realms?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

10 Beers posted:

I'm not sure what's been hashed over, but when the game starts it's very slow. You spend, I don't know, maybe two hours trudging through snowy mountains for the tutorial and it's like it's dull and dragging and boring for the sake of realism. And once you get out of the mountains you have to worry about how clean your clothes are, what clothes to wear in what temperatures, eating enough, drinking enough, feeding and brushing your horse enough, keeping your guns oiled, etc etc. Just every day boring minutiea that just drags it all down for me. I've heard you don't have to do all that stuff, but you get penalized if you don't. On top of all that I don't care about any of the characters and don't care for the combat, so I put it down and haven't touched it since.

I will say though, the game is really pretty.

That all sounds about right.

I wasn't interested in it for the precise reasons you describe. I don't want to make coffee, do laundry, groom my pets, shave, oil my gun and do chores in a video game. That poo poo's boring enough in what passes for my pathetic life.

I know Breath of the Wild comes up a lot in this thread and I stumbled across this sequel announcement.

https://news.avclub.com/watch-a-surprise-trailer-for-a-surprise-the-legend-of-z-1835418087

Hard to tell if they're addressing specific complaints about the first game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

How do those levels work anyway? I know you use points up buy moves and money to upgrade weapons, but what about Kratos' personal level? What makes that go up, it still seems to be at level 1 at the Lake of the 9 Realms?

Wear high-level equipment, that's it. If it makes your number go up, its better than what you had before.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Witcher 3: this loving ghost boss

It just hovers outside of the circle that makes it take any damage at all and laughs at me. Then it splits into three and sucks all my blood out to recover any damage I've managed to do. Nothing else that I've been on the same level as has been nearly as infuriating. Can't bust this ghost!

The rest of the game seems occasionally annoying but pretty good.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Samuringa posted:

Wear high-level equipment, that's it. If it makes your number go up, its better than what you had before.

Literally the only thing that matters is Level. If something has a cool effect but equipping it lowers your level, dont use it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I've been on a Warframe kick lately and it's a good game, and while I know it would be against the whole aesthetic of the game, I really would like to see more (non-bio) mechanical Warframe skins.

On the plus side, I got to drain a pimple on my rubber-skinned robot ninja's neck and turn the pus into a puppy, so that's cool.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

To be fair, while not straight up robot the graxx line of tennogen skins are very mechanical and are beloved enough that the only reason I can see them not being made for every frame eventually is something with the creator themselves, wither it be health or simply boredom.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yeah, those are pretty cool, though they feel less "robot" and more "Master Chief" to me.

I kinda dig the the Corpus robot style since it's basically "Boston Dynamics meets Giger," and I'd like to see more Warframes like that. Maybe with those giant ridiculous Corpus computer tower helmets and with Alad V's silly saucer collar.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
There's a couple that do have a less biomechanical look to them, but they're more incidental on it. Garuda and Gara are both pretty convincingly normal-armored, Vauban is a bit more 'weird spacesuit', and Valkyr goes straight for 'cyborg'. There's one they've showed previews of that's going almost straight Gundam, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Literally the only thing that matters is Level. If something has a cool effect but equipping it lowers your level, dont use it.

So far my biggest complaint with the level system is this - I've been trying to do sidequests to get stuff to buy/upgrade good equipment (just drained the lake and am exploring it) but all the stuff I've bought so far has only got me close to level 2 (like, nearly filled the bar of getting to level 2 but still actually at level 1), and the sidequests are starting to throw level 4/5 enemies at me. It feels so wonky.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

BioEnchanted posted:

So far my biggest complaint with the level system is this - I've been trying to do sidequests to get stuff to buy/upgrade good equipment (just drained the lake and am exploring it) but all the stuff I've bought so far has only got me close to level 2 (like, nearly filled the bar of getting to level 2 but still actually at level 1), and the sidequests are starting to throw level 4/5 enemies at me. It feels so wonky.

The lake level lowers several times. Where are you at story-wise?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The first one, just unlocked the central forge/shop and the ability to return to it from any other gate. Just after meeting the Witch. It's just last time I tried to play the game I got as far as the first other dimension with the flying guys that like to try to slam you and got stuck, so I'm exploring more thoroughly this time so that I have more of an edge.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Trick Question posted:

Witcher 3: this loving ghost boss

It just hovers outside of the circle that makes it take any damage at all and laughs at me. Then it splits into three and sucks all my blood out to recover any damage I've managed to do. Nothing else that I've been on the same level as has been nearly as infuriating. Can't bust this ghost!

The rest of the game seems occasionally annoying but pretty good.

Iirc I beat that one by keeping it in the circle and setting it on fire as much as possible.

Also if you use the decoction for it before the fight it'll go down quicker