Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lurksion posted:

It's you get pulled in whenever they feel like rebelling which might be never. So yeah it's not useful.

Ah that's fair enough, I can see how that's what the tooltip is trying to say but it's poorly worded. Makes sound like it makes somebody's vassals declare war on them when you initiate a war.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did any of the vassals have low relationship with yuan shao?

More than a few, yeah. Kong Rong actually hates him and loves me, but he still war decs along with Yuan Shao, Which sucks because he's got like five loving stacks and is my biggest trade partner. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

Despite hating to deal with characters, I have enjoyed the things that spys can do.

This system is so much better than having agents run around I never want to go back. Also, I have to make actual choices about Staffing now. Do I want my Superstar Sentinel to be in my army or producing more industrial revenue?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah this definitely is a new generation of TW game and going back to agents as actual map pieces seems like a nightmare. SO much better to have them as background effects and events.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I didn't mind them much before Rome 2 where each type of agent got ten different abilities, and all of them seem to be capable of assassination. In Warhammer you can at least attach them to an army and let them out to do their thing like Banshee breaking walls. Or some you just let sit there in a province applying buff of some sorts. Still you had dozen of agents pretty soon and it was dumb not to use it.

Reminded me of Heroes 3 where it's dumb not to visit all those creature dwellings and resource generators each week.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm not sad at all to see agents go but having said that S2's rock-paper-scissors of ninja-monk-metsuke was perfect. Every agent had a niche, were useful, but at the same time had an obvious counter if they caused too much trouble.

Also the event failure videos are easily the funniest poo poo CA has ever created.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ok I'm trying to finish a war with Cao Cao and literally every faction but two are declaring war with me, to the point that I'm bankrupt because I can't maintain any trade or even sell grain. I set up trading 30 units of grain to Kong Rong (who is at -7 food) and have a trade deal with him and positive relations, but he still declared war the next turn.

How do I stop the dog pile?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So has the general consensus settled on that this game is really good right out of the gate and isn't the complete broken mess that Rome 2 was at release? I never played the Warhammer games so I'm not sure how well CA did with those.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So has the general consensus settled on that this game is really good right out of the gate and isn't the complete broken mess that Rome 2 was at release? I never played the Warhammer games so I'm not sure how well CA did with those.

Yes, the game's doing great, and almost 2 weeks later is still holding up without any boring/degenerate strategies popping up (beyond the typical hammer & anvil tactics that's present in every single Total War).

I've only had one crash, and that was on release day and I'm fairly sure it was an out-of-memory crash as I had a couple other beefy programs running at the same time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Very cool. Will make nearly decade old overclocked 2500k CPU cry out in pain with this? I'm looking at finally upgrading when the new Ryzen series comes out next month but I'm an impatient bastard.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CA please implement this Medieval 2 mod into Three Kingdoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La8hXeXqP7E

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've only had two crashes, both of which happened on battle initiation just after I quick saved, and I have close to 100 hours in the game already. So it's way more stable than Rome 2.

I'm running the game on max settings (albeit, with a pretty beefy rig) and have only experienced performance issues on the save screen. No other part of the game lags at all. Not sure what GPU you have but if you're getting stuttering even on lower settings and you think it might be CPU bottlenecking, turn off/down shadows as I believe the engine CA is using still has CPU-dependent shadow rendering.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Arglebargle III posted:

Ok I'm trying to finish a war with Cao Cao and literally every faction but two are declaring war with me, to the point that I'm bankrupt because I can't maintain any trade or even sell grain. I set up trading 30 units of grain to Kong Rong (who is at -7 food) and have a trade deal with him and positive relations, but he still declared war the next turn.

How do I stop the dog pile?

Dunno. I quit my Zheng Jiang game when that sort of thing kept happening to me, I couldn't keep a peace going for anything even with factions who liked me. Even Gongsun Zan who voluntarily married his son off to me declared war on me a few turns later. I understand that Infamy has an opinion malus attached but GZ at least was pretty positive in relations with me when he declared and quite a few people broke deals to declare on me. It just got too frustrating.

Then I played as Ma Teng and had everyone behave rationally and cordially and had several long-term large happy vassals. My starting ally stayed an ally until his son (who didn't like me much) took over and I declined to join him in a couple pointless wars, after which he broke the alliance, which made sense.

So yeah, the diplomatic AI seems a bit schizo sometimes, dunno why.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They've released like 6 games since Rome 2 9 years ago. All have been fine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sydin posted:

I've only had two crashes, both of which happened on battle initiation just after I quick saved, and I have close to 100 hours in the game already. So it's way more stable than Rome 2.

I'm running the game on max settings (albeit, with a pretty beefy rig) and have only experienced performance issues on the save screen. No other part of the game lags at all. Not sure what GPU you have but if you're getting stuttering even on lower settings and you think it might be CPU bottlenecking, turn off/down shadows as I believe the engine CA is using still has CPU-dependent shadow rendering.

I have a GTX 980ti for 1080p so I'm good on that front.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zurai posted:

So yeah, the diplomatic AI seems a bit schizo sometimes, dunno why.

my pet theory is cause its still the same as it was in rome 2. i.e. inherently random but weighted by certain factors

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Won as Sun Jian in 37 years. Sadly, Lady Wu didn't survive to see it, but everyone else did. The biggest takeaway is that trebuchets are way, way too good. They need to be massively turned down since the AI never builds any so one or two forces them to come to you basically all the time. Between them and formations, a Strategist seems mandatory. The only army that didn't have one was Sun Jian's, which had a vanguard with all-army guerilla deployment and a horde of infantry and cavalry to just loving rush things down.

Sniping heroes with Sun Ren never got old, though it was tricky to land sometimes. Also, heroes trying to duel Sun Ce with Yuan Yu's weapon just so he'd stop tearing through armies never got old, because they basically just acted as health packs for him. Finally, sentinels are awesome. I think commanders need some love, and could give troops in the army some basic formations as well.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I've had four crashes. Two from trying to run around the equipment menu too fast, one I honestly can't recall, and a fourth on a loading screen which wasn't the game's fault, it was because firefox was pushing its latest lovely update.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ravenfood posted:

They need to be massively turned down since the AI never builds any so one or two forces them to come to you basically all the time.

They AI definitely build them, not very often, but I've definitely had to fight them and it sucks.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ravenfood posted:

They need to be massively turned down since the AI never builds any

The AI definitely builds trebuchets. I fought a 1v2 army battle where both enemy armies had two trebuchets each once, that was REALLY unpleasant. I was forced to use my cavalry to kill the trebs which meant there were a lot more archers and infantry than normal assaulting my position.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

They AI definitely build them, not very often, but I've definitely had to fight them and it sucks.
Depending on your generals and their items (and cavalry makeup of the enemy) you can rushdown their trebs (one shot per swing) and then slip out since generals are so hard to pin down.

Doesn't work if theres cavalry since they can actually run down your general afterwards unless you have enough of your own.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I saw someone comment on it earlier, but man the buffs for family members going down are kinda insane and I've ended up resorting to some silly, gamey solution to not getting owned by stuff like Lady Bain effectively being a suicide bomber.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I saw someone comment on it earlier, but man the buffs for family members going down are kinda insane and I've ended up resorting to some silly, gamey solution to not getting owned by stuff like Lady Bain effectively being a suicide bomber.

Victory has defeated you!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Arglebargle III posted:

Victory has defeated you!

Another fun one I just got: defeated a breakout attempt while laying siege and killed a few of the commanders involved.

Then an ally of my enemy marched in later in the turn cycle to launch another breakout attempt, pulling in the previously defeated armies as reinforcements...with one of the generic scrubs that went down having been quickly replaced by the exceedingly handsome Xiahao Dun.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i am kinda worried cuz characters make complete sense in 3k and not really anywhere else, not like this anyway

like the retinue end would make sense for feudal lords but that's about it

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Uh whoops I went full on Yaun Shao and vassalized a ton of people and I think it’s limiting my prestige game. Is it true that vassals don’t add anything to your prestige total?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Gamerofthegame posted:

i am kinda worried cuz characters make complete sense in 3k and not really anywhere else, not like this anyway

A Medieval Three with minor lords and knights with their individual retinues would be amazing. You can even tie retinue sizes to the rank of their leader. A minor knight might be able to bring himself and a couple units of foot soldiers, for example, but promote him to a big-shot lord and he can bring half a stack.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

I mean, the vast history of humanity was feudal lords up until about 200 years ago. Only a couple of these games have been on the edge of that time period, and even with Empire the retinue system would make sense.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think if you tone down the individual fighting capabilities of generals, the hero and retinue system is applicable to more periods than you might think. As previously discussed, a medieval system would work well with minor changes. The classical era had no shortage of warrior kings, and the base Three Kingdoms systems have the potential to create a much more interesting political and civil war system than Rome 2 ever had. Even the Napoleonic era works - consider Napoleon’s marshals ans their various political machinations (such as being elected King of Sweden). This all leans heavily on a great man interpretation of history, but that was already the case in Total War so why not go all in?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gamerofthegame posted:

The "leader plus retinue" system would make real sense for literally every era that CA has ever covered in a TW game, honestly, even if superhero characters wouldn't. It's pretty much just a better way of doing things than the normal general + stack system.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'd love it if they could somehow make Lord bonuses a little more broadly applicable so you could encourage each little retinue to be a semi-capable fighting force in their own right instead of having each Lord bring one of ranged/infantry/cavalry for a full stack. I don't know how you'd do that though.

Retinue system is great. Only other change I'd like is to be able to add to an administrator's retinue while they were off the field.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's apparently a Pretty Strategists mod floating around but you need a baidu account to get it?

https://mod.3dmgame.com/mod/132779

I'm really feelin dude on the left

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Did anyone else start having performance/load time problems recently? Battles took like 30 seconds to load when this game first came out, but now even the starting battle of a new campaign (so under ~500 units total) takes about as long as a Warhammer battle.

Kanos posted:

The "leader plus retinue" system would make real sense for literally every era that CA has ever covered in a TW game, honestly, even if superhero characters wouldn't. It's pretty much just a better way of doing things than the normal general + stack system.

Ok but now I want a Total War game that's literal superheroes and supervillains leading armies of mooks and henchmen. In general I'd really love to see them branch into some weird stuff like this, or a sci-fi setting, or do some weird-rear end poo poo where I pick a type of insect and conquer a back yard Sim Ant style but with Total War battles. I love the entire TW series but Warhammer and 3K show me just how much fun it can be when it's mixed up, so I'd like to see it get mixed up even more once or twice.

Imagine a Marvel or DC tie-in Total War where total war breaks out in some big city and you have to choose a hero or villain and lead a conquest across the city, gathering whatever kind of stand-in mook for soldiers they want or that fits the faction. SHIELD soldiers or whatever. Just get us away from realism more and give me more options for blowing up entire armies with magic and superpowers.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 12, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Xarbala posted:

There's apparently a Pretty Strategists mod floating around but you need a baidu account to get it?

This reminds me of old image I can't find anymore.

1) Dude in power armor stands in a wasteland with a big gun.
2) Fat nerd sitting in front of his PC saying "Bethesda has ruined a great franchise. I hope modders can save it."
3) Dude in rainbow power armor stands with even bigger gun with the anime waifu.
4) Nerd happily says "Masterpiece".

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Here's a question about a franchise in general: why did they stop hiring the composer Jeff van Dyck? I think he was great and is one of the reasons why Rome & Medieval 2 were so immersive. I can understand the switch for Empire & Napoleon - there they had pseudo-baroque music and wanted a more conventional composer. Then they want back to him for Shogun 2 which, you may notice, is also well regarded. But he didn't work with TW since. And he has some experience in Chinese style music, he wrote OST for Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom (ancient China city builder) that sounds pretty rad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIHvnKluOL8&t=493s.

So I wonder why he's not there anymore. I think more than anything Rome became memorable for me because of how immersive the soundtrack was. Just listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GityoGjUj0g, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-tmfCL2t8.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
With Three Kingdoms CA were clearly going for an Epic Wuxia style aesthetic.

https://youtu.be/uEyWuefdc6E

The music you linked sounded jazzy if anything, it doesn't fit that at all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Since when can wuxia not sound jazzy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWQedOnszU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2VisWsItc
Does this sound like a work of a man who can't do Wuxia?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any way to deliberately get rid of the Emperor when I'm in control of him? I captured chang'an and a few turns later my order is spiking across the empire for "People in Power" and I'm not equipped to handle it.

I tried giving chang'an away but that didn't work because the emperor moved to my capital

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think van Dyck mentioned that it was difficult for him to create the music from his home and coordinate with CA, what with CA being in England and he being in Australia. This was from a social media post a few years ago, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really know what you are trying to get at ilitarist, I thought the music for Three Kingdoms and Warhammer is fantastic and better than that for earlier Total Wars