Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Ofecks posted:

So uh... your grandparents gave you the console which you opened the xmas eve, then your parents gave you the extra games which you opened xmas morning? Am I understanding that correctly? I'm sorry, this story is oddly significant for some reason.

Those are amazing picks for games. They would have kept me busy for at least a year. I had all 3 myself, but spaced much farther apart. I'm one of the (assumed) many who acquired DW due to the Nintendo Power promotion.

Yep, that's correct! I actually got a second copy of DW through the Nintendo Power promotion, which I sold and bought a different game with the money.

My Mom and I played Dragon Warrior together, even. She actually beat the Dragonlord the night before I did, but didn't tell me. :3:

edit: Incidentally, she gave me DQXI for my birthday in November, and loves that, decades later, she can still give me a DQ game.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I expected the Luminary to show up in smash, but getting the other games' hero skins in was a great surprise.

It's a pretty good time to be a DQ fan right now. I'm definitely getting 11 for the switch again. Now just hoping they localize the DQM game they're developing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

DQB 2 looks great but I keep hearing it's super grindy and worse than the first game in a lot of ways, has anyone here played it?

I haven't heard anything. I didn't feel DQB was too grindy, so it would have to be a huge jump, like a minecraft mod tier grind before I consider not playing it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Luceo posted:

Yep, that's correct! I actually got a second copy of DW through the Nintendo Power promotion, which I sold and bought a different game with the money.

My Mom and I played Dragon Warrior together, even. She actually beat the Dragonlord the night before I did, but didn't tell me. :3:

edit: Incidentally, she gave me DQXI for my birthday in November, and loves that, decades later, she can still give me a DQ game.

Extremely blessed.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Extremely blessed.

I know. :3: :allears: :3:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/SQEX_eSTORE/status/1138616664327565313

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Luceo posted:

dragon quest is extremely powerful

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

10k yen :whitewater:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's a pretty good time to be a DQ fan right now. I'm definitely getting 11 for the switch again.

I'm tempted but I played it on the PC at 1440p and 90 fps and I suspect that the Switch will have a hard time maintaining 30 fps at 1080p. I played without the difficulty options and I could really get into a harder playthrough with pixel mode .

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I expected the Luminary to show up in smash, but getting the other games' hero skins in was a great surprise.

It's a pretty good time to be a DQ fan right now. I'm definitely getting 11 for the switch again. Now just hoping they localize the DQM game they're developing.

Not just alternative hero skins, but skins for the ‘main’ characters of their respective trilogies. :eng101:

(Ok maybe not in 8s case since the dragovarian stuff is far looser than the Zenithian trilogy)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I honestly thought he was a Link Echo Fighter at first.

What does Eight walking through poison to get a sword reference? It's around 2:40.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

RareAcumen posted:

I honestly thought he was a Link Echo Fighter at first.

What does Eight walking through poison to get a sword reference? It's around 2:40.

That's probably [safe passage] keeping him non-poisoned in a stage hazard

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

That's probably [safe passage] keeping him non-poisoned in a stage hazard

Ah thanks, I suppose that makes sense. Took someone else saying it for me to get the Barrel > Franklin Badge Barrel> Mini Medal link.

Happy as I am to see them in there, kinda sad that there's no possible way to make them Greatsword/spear/boomerang users.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Isn't walking through poison how you got the sword in DW1, or was that the armor? It's been a while.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LorneReams posted:

Isn't walking through poison how you got the sword in DW1, or was that the armor? It's been a while.

It was Erdrick’s token that was hidden in the swamp.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Haha I still have the PS2 version of this from back when DQ8 came out.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It’s a drat good time to be a Dragon Quest fan.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The sword was in the basement of the final dungeon, the armor was in the ruins of a city and guarded by a mini boss on the tile. There were a bunch of poison tiles on the way to the tile with the armor.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I got those mixed up. It's been a while.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha I still have the PS2 version of this from back when DQ8 came out.

:yossame: It's an awful controller, actually. Not comfortable to hold/use at all.

Luceo posted:

Jeez, you are really lucky. My parents didn't do a whole lot of parenting. My mom was OK but she was content to let TV and video games raise me. My dad only spoke to me to berate me. They never even pretended to care about what I was playing, and never surprised me with games, either. It was always "tell me which one you want" at the store or "write the title down and I'll try to find it". She managed to find most of them, thanks for the effort mom!

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 12, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I picked up Joker 2 again and man, every time I feel like I'm getting a handle with a good team I find/synth some new even more powerful monster.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hey, so do we know if the Switch version is getting all its soundtrack orchestrated?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yep

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sweet. So how much of a downgrade is it graphically from the PC/PS4 version?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It doesn't seem to be that much of a down grade from what I've seen. DQXI's style went a long way.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

It was Erdrick’s token that was hidden in the swamp.

I thought the armor was in that village with poison everywhere and some knight was guarding it

dq1 has a lot of poison now that i think about it

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sweet. So how much of a downgrade is it graphically from the PC/PS4 version?

the real question is framerate

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/amine_saturn/status/1138906405367406594

Dragon quest has a north African fanbase apparently.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

I thought the armor was in that village with poison everywhere and some knight was guarding it

The armor is in Haukness, guarded by a knight. There are small patches of swamp all over town, but you only have to step through 2 squares to get to the armor.

The token meanwhile is SE of Cantlin in the middle of a giant swamp. You're kind of expected to have both the armor and the Gwaelin's love at that point, though it's entirely possible to rush it without them if you know where it is (or if you're playing a remake where it shows up as a ground sparkle).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pharohman777 posted:

The anime was also massively popular here in Mexico/Latin America in the 90s, as "Las Aventuras de Fly" (the Adventures of Fly). Dai was translated as Fly for whatever reason. It's not based off of DQ3, but rather Dai no Daibouken, which is a manga spinoff. I'm not sure a ton of people here have made the connection between Dai/Fly and Dragon Quest, though.

Fun fact, the animation for the elemental slashes (Earthsplitter, Skysplitter and the rest) the Hero learns in DQXI is straight up Dai's signature skill, the Avan Slash.

https://twitter.com/zeldamn/status/1077351275761553408

I was hit so hard by a wave of nostalgia when I first saw that. Fly's iconic pose is seared into my mind.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The manga is really really good and super long, too. The anime adaptation is like, the first tenth of the entire thing

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Dragon Quest Heroes is half off on the Square Enix store. Is that game worth $20? I've never played those kinds of games before but I heard they get pretty repetitive quickly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ojetor posted:

The anime was also massively popular here in Mexico/Latin America in the 90s, as "Las Aventuras de Fly" (the Adventures of Fly). Dai was translated as Fly for whatever reason. It's not based off of DQ3, but rather Dai no Daibouken, which is a manga spinoff. I'm not sure a ton of people here have made the connection between Dai/Fly and Dragon Quest, though.

I remember catching at least some of the episodes as a kid, but then it ended really abruptly.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Getting kinda tired of Switch versions of games coming out a year later with additional good features that don't get backported to PS4.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Revenge for GameCube exclusive RE4 coming out on PS2 with more features.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pharohman777 posted:

Man, I loved the DQ3-inspired DQ anime as a kid (the one with Abel and Baramos, I never saw the Dai anime). We only got a couple episodes in the US though but what we did get was real cool and I wish we'd have gotten the entire series.

The Adventure of Dai manga was pretty good too and its impact on DQXI is very noticeable.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/dragon-quest-xi-s-list-of-additional-elements-and-improvements-dlc-voice-drama-and-more-detailed

That's a ton more changes than I initially thought there would be.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm really excited about DQ XI on Switch and decided to try out some of the earlier ones.

I noticed on the e-shop both VII and VIII are available on the 3DS. Are these versions decent and if so does it matter which one I begin with? I was thinking of VIII since it features the cool mouse-carrying dude featured in Smash. 40 euro for a new 3DS game feels a bit steep so I may wait for a sale or look for it physically if anything. I imagine if I buy the game in France, there'd be an English language option regardless?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

I haven't heard anything. I didn't feel DQB was too grindy, so it would have to be a huge jump, like a minecraft mod tier grind before I consider not playing it.

It's mostly based on Gaijinhunter's comments, I was hoping someone could corroborate them.

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/1095710460026925061

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What level should I be at for the final boss ending of DQ11? I'm just about burned out on this game after 75 hours. All my quest says to do is explore the world until I'm ready. My main character is level 56.

I started to rebuild Cobblestone but I got my rear end handed to me during the MMA fight.

All this time I've felt severely over powered, stomping enemies and easily winning boss fights. Now it seems like the difficulty has jumped at the very end when I feel least like grinding away at enemies.

I just want this to be over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I'm really excited about DQ XI on Switch and decided to try out some of the earlier ones.

I noticed on the e-shop both VII and VIII are available on the 3DS. Are these versions decent and if so does it matter which one I begin with? I was thinking of VIII since it features the cool mouse-carrying dude featured in Smash. 40 euro for a new 3DS game feels a bit steep so I may wait for a sale or look for it physically if anything. I imagine if I buy the game in France, there'd be an English language option regardless?

The 3DS versions of DQVII&VIII are the definitive versions and are great remakes of the originals. It doesn't matter which you start with. They have completely different characters/stories/worlds. I would choose VIII over VII as your first one since VII takes a long time to get going.

The voice acting in VIII is only in English for the West. There's no voice acting in VII. You can't change the language of text in game, but can change it via changing 3DS' system language.

Really blows they didn't discount VII&VIII for Europe. They're on sale here in North America, but they are 70+ hour RPGs so the €40 might be worth it for you.