Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Nobody will own 8k at home for years

It's been available for like 6ish months or so in Japan but as is the norm for this stuff (I think you could also get legit 1080i HD when DVD had barely taken off too) it's ludicrously expensive and limited.

The cheapest 8K set is 60" from SHARP and is $4400USD. The 8K input is super-hacky, because it's literally four HDMI ins (8K-capable HDMI spec is still being finalized). You need a variety of equipment including a $1000 decoder box and a dedicated satellite dish to receive NHK's 8K broadcasting, currently the only 8K content available (started December 1st 2018).

To my knowledge, they've broadcast two movies in 8K: 2001: A Space Odyssey and My Fair Lady. Their big push is going to be the 2020 Olympics, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shits hosed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the 2020 olympics will be all, or at least mostly, recorded in 8k. Its been an annoying sales push Ive had to deal with at work.

As with the usual rate of tech expect 8k to be reasonably priced around when these consoles are on their last legs and we all realize they never really had the power to push out that resolution

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Isn't there a mathematical breaking point for screen resolution in relation to the human eye?

Like a 4K TV smaller than 60" is pointless because you're not going to get any more detail out of it, and inversely the only way to get the benefits of an 8k tv is if the screen is like 120"?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This very much depends on viewing distance. But there certainly are diminishing returns. Personally, I'm fine with 1080p for movies or TV. And for games, 1440p seems perfect to me, even though I'm now on two 4k screens.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Next big thing will be to get those dots up to your face. 120hz+ 4k per eye should make VR much more responsive and visceral.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It's kind of a gut punch to see that they're not doing any more BC for xbone. Hopefully some of the OG xbox emulator projects that have been stewing for years will finally get to the point where they're usable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8k will only enable devs to make text even more microscopic

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Isn't there a mathematical breaking point for screen resolution in relation to the human eye?

Like a 4K TV smaller than 60" is pointless because you're not going to get any more detail out of it, and inversely the only way to get the benefits of an 8k tv is if the screen is like 120"?

Nah. You can always see and benefit from the detail improvement, even when you can't "see" each individual pixel clearly enough to use it for like pixel art or small size text.

It wasn't that long ago that people would claim you would need like a 50 inch TV to really get use out of 1080p over 720p, and that there was no need to shell out for 720p below a 25 inch set - because wide-screen 480p was supposedly fine. Of course this was back when 50 inch sets cost $10,000 and most people were still on standard def CRTs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the 720p switch screen up against your face looks fine

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Real hurthling! posted:

8k will only enable devs to make text even more microscopic

This a thousand times over.

But we all know more TV dots make games better, so bring on the dots I guess.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
MOAR DOTS MOAR DOTS MOAR DOTS

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Finster Dexter posted:

MOAR DOTS MOAR DOTS MOAR DOTS

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

People used to claim a single fish patty was enough, but now we know two are even better.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Adaptabullshit posted:

I'm baffled that no one has lamented the fact that we don't get Jet Set Radio Future for Xbone.

I've lamented it and moved on. As I understand it, the soundtrack (and related licensing rights) are the biggest hurdle.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ixnay posted:

Welp, they just announced a new set of backwards compatible games, but also that these are the last games they doing backwards compatibility for:

I think the key phrase here is "on the Xbox One". They're moving to Scarlett, so I would imagine that means redoing their backwards compatibility VMs / emulators for the Scarlett, and focusing on adding more games to that environment later.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

We'll have to wait and see

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The backwards compatibility program has been a great success for them, and they specifically stressed that the Scarelett will be compatible with "four generations of Xbox games" so I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't keep adding more games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They have 18 months to think about i guess

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Der Shovel posted:

The backwards compatibility program has been a great success for them, and they specifically stressed that the Scarelett will be compatible with "four generations of Xbox games" so I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't keep adding more games.

Big congrats to Microsoft xb division for not repeating the obvious dumb mistake that singlehandedly dragged them from kings of the world with a game system featuring the highest attach rate of all time to a complete joke with no good exclusives and the corpses of like 4 different tentpole franchises.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I just assumed the 8K support was referring to video playback. Did they specifically say it's also for games?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
8K support just means it has the proper HDMI ports. It can be used for anything as long as you've got the processing power for it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

From some digging, Samsung and possibly LG sets are available at least in Canada, starting at 7 grand Canadian. The only 8K material currently available is on YouTube, though. The Samsung units support HDMI 2.1 now, but this is recent; if you bought the same model late last year it didn’t, and you need Samsung to upgrade your breakout box for the unit.

Fortunately these sets still have composite and component so Just Dance 2020 for Wii will still be playable.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ixnay posted:

Welp, they just announced a new set of backwards compatible games, but also that these are the last games they doing backwards compatibility for

This is unfortunate but they've probably just hit licensing hurdles with everything else. It sucks we never got the obvious ones like Jet Set Radio Future or Burnout 3 but I was also really hoping for Beautiful Katamari and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (the awesome Burnout-styled one from 2010). Hot Pursuit is great on PC but EA never ported the DLC over so I hoped for a chance to dive right back into it. Who knows, since we got a Burnout Paradise remaster maybe they'll do the right thing and remaster Hot Pursuit since it was the last good NFS game. The franchise itself seems to be dead nowadays, kinda like most of EA's other non-sport IPs, so it's guaranteed to be much better than whatever their NFS studio might be or is working on.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a question about this whole Live/Game Pass thing. I'm a part of Ultimate until November due to some game pass trials and then buying the $1 thing to convert it to Ultimate. I just bought my daughter a year of Live (she's currently not Gold), then was going to do the dollar pass to make her Ultimate. I haven't made her Gold yet, but she was able to play BO3 online. She figured since I'm on her console and Ultimate, she can play online. Which leads me to my question.

Should I just add the year to my account so she'll be Ultimate till next December? Or would the Live cards still be ok in November with the changes to Live/Game Pass? Or did I mishear and Live and Pass are still going to be separate?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ultimate includes gold. When you add your one year to your ultimate, you'll add 4 months.

As long as your account is home to her console, then she can play with gold and GamePass.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the Samsung 8K TVs are out in Australia and they are stupidly expensive and hilariously inefficient on power consumption compared to OLED 4K models in the same screen size.

We have government mandated energy ratings on all appliances and a 65" LG gets 4.5 out of 6 stars while the equivalent 8K gets a half star.

Im guessing its all in the processor and the QLED stuff but its still hilarious that people are gonna buy a TV that doesnt have any native content and ruins their power bill.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ineffiable posted:

Ultimate includes gold. When you add your one year to your ultimate, you'll add 4 months.

As long as your account is home to her console, then she can play with gold and GamePass.

But does gold include Ultimate? Basically if I wait until my Ultimate ends (I'm just using it to play stuff on PC, the whole giving her live on the Xbox is a happy bonus), will that year code still work for her in November?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

But does gold include Ultimate? Basically if I wait until my Ultimate ends (I'm just using it to play stuff on PC, the whole giving her live on the Xbox is a happy bonus), will that year code still work for her in November?

She can use the code and she will have a year of gold, that does not include any version of game pass.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

She can use the code and she will have a year of gold, that does not include any version of game pass.

Ok, makes sense then. She didn't care for game pass so I'll just wait. Thanks!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Laserface posted:

the Samsung 8K TVs are out in Australia and they are stupidly expensive and hilariously inefficient on power consumption compared to OLED 4K models in the same screen size.

We have government mandated energy ratings on all appliances and a 65" LG gets 4.5 out of 6 stars while the equivalent 8K gets a half star.

Im guessing its all in the processor and the QLED stuff but its still hilarious that people are gonna buy a TV that doesnt have any native content and ruins their power bill.

Lol it’s mining bitcoins on the backend.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I hope in the era of 8k30/4k60 we'll still have a choice of 1080p120 :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo I love this gif :allears:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cojawfee posted:

Figuring this out is like how I cheat on my taxes. If say my standard Gold membership would expire tomorrow, what is the best course of action to take to get the ultimate conversion rate? And say using Amazon 1 year gold passes or CD keys for example.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Guillermus posted:

Holy poo poo I love this gif :allears:

Here's the original too

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

Figuring this out is like how I cheat on my taxes. If say my standard Gold membership would expire tomorrow, what is the best course of action to take to get the ultimate conversion rate? And say using Amazon 1 year gold passes or CD keys for example.

Hire an Xbox accountant.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Colostomy Bag posted:

If you were to pay full price for 3 years of live gold, you'd spend 180 dollars. If you then pay the dollar to convert those 1:1 (don't know when this switches to the normal conversion of 3:1), you would get 3 years of ultimate game pass which saves you 360 dollars.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you were to pay full price for 3 years of live gold, you'd spend 180 dollars. If you then pay the dollar to convert those 1:1 (don't know when this switches to the normal conversion of 3:1), you would get 3 years of ultimate game pass which saves you 360 dollars.

Actually he's too late because he already converted.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Is there any info on how long this $1/£1 game pass offer is lasting until? I couldn't find anything on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tha_Joker_GAmer posted:

Is there any info on how long this $1/£1 game pass offer is lasting until? I couldn't find anything on it

I believe it's a "this week" deal