Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The third movie is just two hours straight of an engineer looking a the camera and explaining what the glowing green crystal prominently shown in Prometheus as if it was a major part of the culture but not mentioned again and all of his dialogue is in their language and not subtitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

The third movie is just two hours straight of an engineer looking a the camera and explaining what the glowing green crystal prominently shown in Prometheus as if it was a major part of the culture but not mentioned again and all of his dialogue is in their language and not subtitled.

aka a masterpiece

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

Complaining that the cure to the black goo was across the hall in the next room.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Neo Rasa posted:

They did a show about the Prometheus alien teaching a Neanderthal about simple tools and stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want a subtitled commentary track of all two (three now I guess) of these movies from an engineer in their language.

[stoic engineer speak]I REMEMBER WHEN WE WERE FILMING THE CLIMAX THE PART WHERE NOOMI ATTACKS ME WITH THE AXE WE WERE ALL STILL BAKED FROM HANGING OUT WITH RIDLEY THAT MORNING AND I WAS LIKE LET ME AXE YOU A QUESTION ON EVERY TAKE AND THEY HAD TO CUT THE SCENE OUT

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Open Marriage Night posted:

They did a show about the Prometheus alien teaching a Neanderthal about simple tools and stuff.

Are you saying the next film is going to be a prequel called "Bob?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Are you saying the next film is going to be a prequel called "Encino Mans?"

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Open Marriage Night posted:

LEAKED FOOTAGE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7cwWoK0gz4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cool interview and a funny story from Tom Skerritt about filming Alien

https://film.avclub.com/tom-skerritt-tells-us-the-funniest-thing-he-ever-witnes-1835097540

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I got around to watching Covenant; I kinda wish they'd just adapt Aliens: Salvation (which a goon recommended to me and I really liked). Covenant isn't completely without value; I thought Danny McBride and Michael Fassbender were good in it. But it just doesn't have enough going for it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Colostomy Bag posted:

So uh, might sound like a dumb question...could we do a "Let's play" of the board game?

Are you volunteering ? Please do. I've got a RPG session hanging on a good set of Sulacco blueprints.

Or, a good set of blueprints....

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I got around to watching Covenant; I kinda wish they'd just adapt Aliens: Salvation (which a goon recommended to me and I really liked). Covenant isn't completely without value; I thought Danny McBride and Michael Fassbender were good in it. But it just doesn't have enough going for it.

I was really skeptical of McBride being in it at all and was also pleasantly surprised that he was quite good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I rewatched Prometheus recently, and wished the story had followed Shaws search for the "founders", instead of of killing them both off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was the original idea, but the studio wanted the Alien so Ridley got mean and made
Covenant which owns.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Covenant is Alien 3 all over again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Joe Chill posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Sure. I meant killing off main characters between films. I was pretty disappointed about Hicks and Newt back when I first watched Alien 3. Ditto Shaw in Covenant.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
David's still alive in Covenant, much like Ripley is still alive in 3.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Joe Chill posted:

True. It’s loving awesome.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1143211766463078403

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

MonsieurChoc posted:

David's still alive in Covenant, much like Ripley is still alive in 3.

Yeah, Shaw is a primary character, but I think it's hard to argue that David isn't the protagonist of Prometheus/Covenant.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Tart Kitty posted:

Yeah, Shaw is a primary character, but I think it's hard to argue that David isn't the protagonist of Prometheus/Covenant.

Shaw had an arch though and David stayed the same throughout.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Joe Chill posted:

Shaw had an arch though and David stayed the same throughout.

David "stayed the same" just like O'toole's Lawrence stayed the same.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

David "stayed the same" just like O'toole's Lawrence stayed the same.

No, stuff happened to Lawrence and changed him during the course of the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joe Chill posted:

No, stuff happened to Lawrence and changed him during the course of the movie.

Debatable. I'd argue that his circumstances changed and allowed him to be the person he always was inside and wasn't allowed to be under the constraints of his previous circumstances.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Debatable. I'd argue that his circumstances changed and allowed him to be the person he always was inside and wasn't allowed to be under the constraints of his previous circumstances.

And that's the plot to every Pixar movie ever, it's basic character stuff.

How does that happen with David in Prometheus?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joe Chill posted:

And that's the plot to every Pixar movie ever, it's basic character stuff.

How does that happen with David in Prometheus?

He has a deep contempt for humanity, and that doesn't change. What changes is his ability/willingness to express that contempt in increasingly gruesome and darkly hilarious ways.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

He has a deep contempt for humanity, and that doesn't change. What changes is his ability/willingness to express that contempt in increasingly gruesome and darkly hilarious ways.

David's experiments are all under old man Weyland's orders though, nothing to do with willingness. What you're saying applies more to the sequel than Prometheus.

Again, Lawerance goes through changes in LoA. He gets tortured / implied raped and suffers PTSD. He wants revenge on the turks for what they did to him. This is a arc in his character. Contrast with David, who has none of that in Prometheus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joe Chill posted:

David's experiments are all under old man Weyland's orders though, nothing to do with willingness. What you're saying applies more to the sequel than Prometheus.

Again, Lawerance goes through changes in LoA. He gets tortured / implied raped and suffers PTSD. He wants revenge on the turks for what they did to him. This is a arc in his character. Contrast with David, who has none of that in Prometheus.

My mistake, I thought we were discussing both Prometheus AND Covenant. Your argument does hold a bit more water if we're limiting this to just Prometheus. Even so, I think a lot of David's comments in Prometheus indicate that his feelings about humans are his own, not anything that's been specifically directed by Weyland.

In Prometheus, the development is more on the side of the audience, where you have this character who is a cypher, you don't really know his motivations at first and then you fill in those pieces as the movie goes on. That's just a different form of character development. This idea that a good character has to have an "arc" is not correct.

Edit: Anyway I get that the argument wasn't really even about whether David is a "good character" so I've taken things off track, my bad

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 26, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I love George Wallace.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I love George Wallace.

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1144301876109725696

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Joe Chill posted:

David's experiments are all under old man Weyland's orders though, nothing to do with willingness.

When is this established? I thought he's just doing poo poo on his own accord because he just doesn't give a gently caress.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

s.i.r.e. posted:

When is this established? I thought he's just doing poo poo on his own accord because he just doesn't give a gently caress.

I think he's referring to the scene where David's talking to Weyland while he's in stasis and then his daughter confronts David after he leaves and he says her father is saying to try harder, which then leads to David spiking that dudes drink iirc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

still peeved walter lost.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

still peeved walter lost.

I really dug SMG's read on ending. I can't find the exact post atm, but effectively, just as a spore entering into Ledward's ear was able to turn him into a monster, David's words whispered in Walter's ear likewise transformed him.

That is, Walter didn't lose, he was just inspired to take up gardening.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 1, 2019

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Cross-posted from GiP

https://twitter.com/JnAviPhoto/status/1143947711009435650?s=19

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Heads up to tabletop nerds the publishers who recently lost the rights to keep printing their AvP minis game are doing a clearance. Never played the game but the models look nice and seem good to stock up on for the upcoming ttrpg.

https://prodosgames.com/

E: I ordered like 150 pounds sterling worth of alien dolls because I need to extend my painting backlog and make good decisions

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 2, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Watched OG Alien with My Girlfriend the other night and it was interesting watching it with a newbie. She immediately thought the Ash reveal meant he was a human infected somehow by alien goo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

Watched OG Alien with My Girlfriend the other night and it was interesting watching it with a newbie. She immediately thought the Ash reveal meant he was a human infected somehow by alien goo.

I remember being just as confused when I saw that for the first time, because the white blood isn't something you immediately assume means robot. That's what makes his design so great though, his insides are obviously different than ours but somehow just as gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

probably why they ADRed "ash is a goddamn robot!"