Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Behind the Bastards with Robert Evans is doing a deep dive into John Brinkley who was the goat testicle guy.

Took a slide from really good (Bill Cosby, etc) to pretty bad lately unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I listened to this show a lot when it first started but I kinda dipped out for a bit. anyone want to suggest a few more recent episodes of quality?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

Another cereal men moment? I'm hype!

god I have to relisten to that just for that golden moment.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

uber_stoat posted:

I listened to this show a lot when it first started but I kinda dipped out for a bit. anyone want to suggest a few more recent episodes of quality?

Some recent ones that are pure unadulterated fun without any depressing present day connections would be The Truck Nutz War (360), Mince Pie in America (376), and The Loomis Fargo Robbery (377).

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Mince Pie was so good I I relistened to it less than a month after it came out; that rarely happens in such a short amount of time

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The Piedras Negras jail brake one (357) is my favorite from within the past year I think. Just a good old fashioned Comedy of Errors Dollop

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

inthesto posted:

Some recent ones that are pure unadulterated fun without any depressing present day connections would be The Truck Nutz War (360), Mince Pie in America (376), and The Loomis Fargo Robbery (377).

Highly recommend the Loomis Fargo Robbery. It is such a jaw dropping cavalcade of idiocy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Moving day moving daaayyyy

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Are the last few posts in reference to the newest episode, in Sanders? Haven't listened to it yet.

Edit: more posts have happened in the hours between me starting this post and actually posting it. I was referring to talk of Gareth taking forever to catch on, a la Cereal Men.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Are the last few posts in reference to the newest episode, in Sanders? Haven't listened to it yet.

Edit: more posts have happened in the hours between me starting this post and actually posting it. I was referring to talk of Gareth taking forever to catch on, a la Cereal Men.

yes, despite this being about a man named Harland Sanders who lives in the vicinity of Kentucky, he doesn't really get whats going on for a while

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I get the sense that Gareth didn’t think Colonel Sanders was a real person.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

I get the sense that Gareth didn’t think Colonel Sanders was a real person.

well I dunno, it's easy to assume. Ronald McDonald wasn't a real-rear end clown who ran a burger joint. the Burger King never wore the crown.

the real Sanders is sort of a human cartoon, tbf.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uber_stoat posted:

well I dunno, it's easy to assume. Ronald McDonald wasn't a real-rear end clown who ran a burger joint. the Burger King never wore the crown.

the real Sanders is sort of a human cartoon, tbf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk4Eq8IcQMk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea of all the dudes to have a 'wait, he's REAL?' moments for the colonel is easily one of the most forgivable. His entire thing is just being a cartoon man who got a chicken empire built around him doing what he does normally.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

Yea of all the dudes to have a 'wait, he's REAL?' moments for the colonel is easily one of the most forgivable. His entire thing is just being a cartoon man who got a chicken empire built around him doing what he does normally.

loving

in seriousness in that I agree partially, but Sanders really started his push when network television was a thing and he would use that for his advantage in marketing and advertising so there's actual video record of him being a person and not a fake

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 12, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

Jet pack madness is a top 10 for sure

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Colonel Sanders would provide free catering to b movie productions in the 60s and 70s on the grounds that he could show up in the movie as himself and promote KFC

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
Like the very first two sentences were "something something Sanders was born in somewhere somewhere, which is so and so away from the Kentucky border and I couldn't believe Gareth didn't get it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Took a slide from really good (Bill Cosby, etc) to pretty bad lately unfortunately

the bonus episode about flat earthers was quite something.

In general it's still pretty good, even though the subjects are sometimes so loving depressing I don't listen to the second part.
Also, his podcast 'It could happen here', about a second american civil war, is interesting and well made in general.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alaois posted:

Colonel Sanders would provide free catering to b movie productions in the 60s and 70s on the grounds that he could show up in the movie as himself and promote KFC

One of my all time favorite moments on The Cinema Snob was when he was reviewing some Nazi biker movie and Colonel Sanders suddenly showed up out of nowhere.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It really depends on the episode I think. There have been some pretty good eps lately like Gary Young and the last days of L Ron Hubbard (which I was delighted to find ended with them discussing this piece of musical magic).

His new shtick of randomly throwing things and the yelling intros are pretty grating though. I guess he's doing these podcasts stoned now?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

I love this episode but my loving God it can be a bit of a bear to follow

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Hell, the episode starts "okay, we invented jetpacks decades ago, please bear with me" which is immediately a lot to take in.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Just wanted to say I gave Jet Pack Madness another listen a few days ago and I think it's still the best, craziest story the show has ever covered.

"Larry visited Joe's family and told them he thought Brad killed Wright - and if the police wouldn't punish him, he would."
"...Can't we just get back to jet pack tomfoolery? Couple guys in a field with some oxygen, trying to go 65 miles per hour for 30 feet?"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JethroMcB posted:

Just wanted to say I gave Jet Pack Madness another listen a few days ago and I think it's still the best, craziest story the show has ever covered.

"Larry visited Joe's family and told them he thought Brad killed Wright - and if the police wouldn't punish him, he would."
"...Can't we just get back to jet pack tomfoolery? Couple guys in a field with some oxygen, trying to go 65 miles per hour for 30 feet?"

theres still the Pendragon plot episode

which doesnt even cover the more recent events in that loving case

which is to say that Mark Richards now claims to be banging space aliens, got remarried, and now his wife goes on any nutjob conspiracy show she can get on claiming that he got set up and couldnt have been in on the murder because he was on a mission for the Secret Space Command in alliance with the Raptors.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 12, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
oh and that theres some old lady on youtube who keeps visiting him on prison and has to take notes in crayons because the guards keep confiscating her pencils, and is now getting in a feud with some British dude who claims to be able to channel aliens on whether or not this makes paranormal/alien research hers look insane

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I liked Behind the Bastards deep dive into Elron Hubbard's life, he from Scientology. There are five episodes total, three from last year, and now two about his final days/decade/whatever.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
The return of Gareth’s H Ross Perot voice for Colonel Sanders is great

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

uber_stoat posted:

New York to Paris Car Race for sure.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Binowru posted:

New York to Paris Car Race for sure.

It's French, but I would love to see the Dollop cover the second Tour de France.

It was a complete shitshow of hilarious cheating and bullshit the likes of which haven't been seen since.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Omg the truck nuts war I gotta say the dollop has had great ones lately

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SalTheBard posted:

I also loved Gareths long pirate ship monologue

It's Gary

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Rube is one of the first I recommend. And ten cent beer night.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Mince pie was unexpectedly great

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!

Reported

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My name's Gary!

...wait

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
All of the reverse dollops are great I'm realizing

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Lord Hydronium posted:

My name's Gary!

...wait

"Hi Gawy." "Well done, my friend," with Gareth's "no no no" in the background is so great and I hope it always stays part of the theme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

in what way. i don't think they are all hits but some are at least pretty interesting. i do think evans fucks up oppertunities like with Oswald Mosley. he just kinda does bad jokes with his friends for alot of that two partier. but georga tann episode is great but really depressing as is assad.

mike12345 posted:

I liked Behind the Bastards deep dive into Elron Hubbard's life, he from Scientology. There are five episodes total, three from last year, and now two about his final days/decade/whatever.

yeah that one is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I love how easy it was to be a criminal in the 1800's.