Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can’t really have a mafia state as they are completely defined by their relationship to the state.

Well it's certainly a vexed term and one diluted by overuse.

But in any case mafia in that usage is synecdochic. Litvinenko wasn't specifically talking about Francesco Cuccia or whoever traveling through time and space to late 90s Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

There's a lot of valid criticism to give some of Sarkeesian's lameass Feminism 101-esque takes but anyone who still "hates" her in 2019 is probably a shithead yeah

There's plenty to critique her for if you're really interested in doing so but there's very little to get mad about. She's just some lady who talks about media in a boring way and has been the target of death threats and targeted harassment.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The worst thing to say about Anita is her videos are babbies first feminist critique and that dude she works with is dumb as a sack of potatoes and comes off like a parody of the left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the most amusing thing about her videos is that honestly they're pretty basic stuff. All they did by freaking out about it was give more attention to what probably otherwise would have been a relatively mild criticism series.

(Not to devalue the actual real-life harm caused to people and associated with her by the crazy people. Just saying the crazy people did the exact opposite of their intentions.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

If the worst thing you can say about her videos is that they are somewhat elementary and introductory in order to reach people unfamiliar at all with feminism, maybe it isn't worth saying in the ComicsGate/Industry Terribleness Thread.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the most amusing thing about her videos is that honestly they're pretty basic stuff. All they did by freaking out about it was give more attention to what probably otherwise would have been a relatively mild criticism series.

(Not to devalue the actual real-life harm caused to people and associated with her by the crazy people. Just saying the crazy people did the exact opposite of their intentions.)

Not so sure that's true; while they did give her a lot more exposure, they also made her into sort of an example of what happens to people who they don't approve of. Basically, they showed that even relatively mild criticism would be met with screaming and hollering and threatening and the gnashing of teeth. They sent a message: "This is what happens if you speak out".

The fact that the chuds were able to rile up that many people to try to ruin her life over essentially nothing is slightly terrifying. Which I think is part of the message they wanted to send. Sure, she's more famous because of them; but I figure at least a few voices were silenced by fear of retaliation from her example.

Thankfully, not everyone, but just because they seem to inadvertently shove someone into the spotlight, it doesn't mean things backfired.

I'm terrible at explaining my view, I hope someone understand what I mean.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

If the worst thing you can say about her videos is that they are somewhat elementary and introductory in order to reach people unfamiliar at all with feminism, maybe it isn't worth saying in the ComicsGate/Industry Terribleness Thread.

:hmmyes:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Archyduchess posted:

Yes, thank you. It's good to have basic stuff out there to introduce new concepts to people.

EDIT: also i made a city of heroes character names Antifa Sarkeesian so there's that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: also i made a city of heroes character names Antifa Sarkeesian so there's that.

I'm stealing that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ZachViana/status/1138583345263198209?s=19

If you don't remember, Umbrella Guy claimed Renfamous doxxed him and his children and encouraged people to call CPS on him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh jesus gently caress no Anime Matsuri? Unless he's somehow traveling for one of the worse local cons out there (and a particularly disgraced one recently), I live near this ballsack :cripes:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh jesus gently caress no Anime Matsuri? Unless he's somehow traveling for one of the worse local cons out there (and a particularly disgraced one recently), I live near this ballsack :cripes:

Let's be real though, you live near a whole ton of dudes who are much worse than that guy, they just have more decorum.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In case people were still questioning if Max Landis is a piece of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/TweetneyMoore/status/1138546936489881600

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

TUG made sure to thank one of the co-heads of Matsuri for making him feel welcome, who is also the one who enables her husband to be a sex pest. Warms the heart.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm utterly shocked that Max Landis is a piece of poo poo. Nobody could have seen that coming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I'm utterly shocked that Max Landis is a piece of poo poo. Nobody could have seen that coming.

This isn't even new, it's just that last time didn't stick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean what is Max Landis even doing now.

Shooting lovely indie movies with his dads money

Can’t kill that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

This isn't even new, it's just that last time didn't stick.

Yeah. He went radio silent for ages and waited for it to blow over.

I wonder how many of the women on 'Wrestling Isn't Wrestling' he sexually harassed. If the answer was 'all of them' I wouldn't be shocked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Be a huge shame if somebody stabbed him in the dick.

Edit: I'm over pacifism by the way. I tried. I tried so goddamned hard to be better than these assholes. But that poo poo doesn't work anymore. Sometimes violence is the only answer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean what is Max Landis even doing now.

Shooting lovely indie movies with his dads money

Can’t kill that

He did that Superman comic that everyone swooned over while handwaving away that he's an awful person who doesn't deserve anyone's money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Be a huge shame if somebody stabbed him in the dick.

Edit: I'm over pacifism by the way. I tried. I tried so goddamned hard to be better than these assholes. But that poo poo doesn't work anymore. Sometimes violence is the only answer.

I am not endorsing or advocating violence when I say the following:

We're already better than them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

He did that Superman comic that everyone swooned over while handwaving away that he's an awful person who doesn't deserve anyone's money.

Which one was that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Which one was that?

Superman: American Alien

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf American Alien came out and finished before women started openly coming out about him being a shitbag

At that point the worst thing he had done was write a bad Shocker fanfic

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

John Landis killed the wrong kids.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

tbf American Alien came out and finished before women started openly coming out about him being a shitbag

At that point the worst thing he had done was write a bad Shocker fanfic

lmao no it wasn't. By 2016, he was calling Force Awakens "Mary Sui fanfic" and had a pretty misogynistic interview. And that's just stuff on record. There was also at least one report of him being a PUA dickbag at MorrisonCon back when that happened.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endless Mike posted:

lmao no it wasn't. By 2016, he was calling Force Awakens "Mary Sui fanfic" and had a pretty misogynistic interview. And that's just stuff on record. There was also at least one report of him being a PUA dickbag at MorrisonCon back when that happened.

Oh, well then!

Then I guess it was just me not personally being aware of that at the time, then. I retract my post.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

From the interview posted:

what’s it like being a single, successful guy in LA?

well the times when your single, well i can’t equate because i’m kind of a good looking guy, and i have a very outgoing personality so like a lot of the girls i end up hooking up with aren’t girls who came at me because i was successful.

BRB, vomiting forever.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1138828100970668032

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

What an astonishingly bad interview. Were we all like this in 2013. Was this ok for people to look at and read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Could you tell us who this is in reference to

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Vic whatever, the sex pest voice actor with the idiot lawers.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

site posted:

Could you tell us who this is in reference to

It's Vic.

I had to read the tweets after it to find that out though. Apparently "it's all OK because it's referencing a person in FMA that he didn't voice and is also a terrible person. No we're not all Nazis"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduchess posted:

What an astonishingly bad interview. Were we all like this in 2013. Was this ok for people to look at and read.
This is no way excuses Landis or in any way suggest "we were all like this" but I really do feel like there are sort of social cycles where arts/culture people do the "Whatever you're for, I'm against it" style shift, non-awful examples of it off the top of my head is Michael Stipe running around 25 years ago insisting that Automatic For the People was the most Punk Rock album around in a world of Nirvana and Green Day ascendant because it was all slow sad acoustic guitar and strings, or Grant Morrison running around 20 years ago acting like wearing a suit was more rebellious than [insert mass-cult punk/raver stuff].

This isn't quite the same thing, but relevant since Landis is trying to be in that Grant Morrison lane, and Morrison/Ellis (and I suppose Moore, though he sort of blurs the line between Public Persona and Genuine Eccentric) really pioneered this particular sort of brand building for comics when Landis was a youngster. All three writers seem to be taking a lot of notes from popular music, too.

So I can believe that Landis was riding the Woke Archie Bunker Golem Wave stomping around the internet being that was celebrated or at least politely ignored deep into the Obama era in a way that no one does now. It was sometimes hailed as some sort of refreshing tonic in an era where Barack Obama was president and LGBTQ rights were advancing and look everything is headed in the right direction, isn't it fun to pantomime vestiges of the bad old days that aren't really scary anymore because we've come so far?

It's sort of the same ground from whence came comedians like Louis CK and sites like Gawker or Barstool, it's even sort of where someone like Milo or Gavin McInnes spin out of, this sort of performative "Ain't I A Stinker? But don't worry, I'm just being outrageous and don't really mean it. I'm a good guy!"

Spoiler, most of them really meant it.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 12, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

This is no way excuses Landis or in any way suggest "we were all like this" but I really do feel like there are sort of social cycles where arts/culture people do the "Whatever you're for, I'm against it" style shift, non-awful examples of it off the top of my head is Michael Stipe running around 25 years ago insisting that Automatic For the People was the most Punk Rock album around in a world of Nirvana and Green Day ascendant because it was all slow sad acoustic guitar and strings, or Grant Morrison running around 20 years ago acting like wearing a suit was more rebellious than [insert mass-cult punk/raver stuff].

Landis is a weird outlier of this, and a terrible cargo cult version of Morrison and Ellis. But I do think that deep into the Obama era, there was a real sort of Woke Archie Bunker sort of golem stomping around the internet being somewhat politely ignored in a way that no one does now. It springs from the same ground as comedians like Louis CK and sites like Gawker or Barstool, it's even sort of where someone like Milo or Gavin McInnes spin out of, this sort of performative "Ain't I A Stinker? But don't worry, I'm just being outrageous and don't really mean it. I'm a good guy!"

Spoiler, most of them really meant it.

I guess in my head I'm trying to line up the dates with the hey-day of alt lit, which was also heavily invested in a performance of "I'm very sorry about my sex crimes, and I'm wistful about psychologically mutilating everyone around me, but it was loving hot, and I'm not very sorry about it, and isn't that the real signifier of tremendous sensitivity"

I guess looking it up Tao Lin's novel Richard Yates came out in 2010 and I feel like that was when a lot of people started really seeing through his charade en masse, but it was only a few years later that there was a real sense of people finally being able to identify and implicate abusers in those 20-35 y/o literary circles. But then again as far as I know that sort of anemic leering machismo of whatisname, the American Apparel guy, was still sort of the aesthetic zeitgeist at the time. I definitely remember dudes in my MFA, which I think I finished in 2013, approaching sexuality in a fashion similar to Landis in that interview, albeit in a slightly more polished way. That sort of, "I'm self-aware and reflective of my patterns of abuse, and I want to acknowledge that changing them is difficult. Well, so I guess I never will, the end" thing.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 12, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduchess posted:

I guess in my head I'm trying to line up the dates with the hey-day of alt lit, which was also heavily invested in a performance of "I'm very sorry about my sex crimes, and I'm wistful about psychologically mutilating everyone around me, but it was loving hot, and I'm not very sorry about it, and isn't that the real signifier of tremendous sensitivity"
I mean, that pretty aptly describes at least half of America's most beloved and revered male authors, comedians, fictional characters, musicians, etc. of the past five or six decades. Before that you get into the ones who didn't even make a play of being sorry about it.

Reading your edit, I guess it's just been a continuum of how much of an apology/self-reflection is involved with the self-exoneration? I am fully willing to believe ol' Max was several years behind the times. And one of us is giving him too much or too little credit, because I'd kind of be surprised if he had any idea who Tao Lin was, unless one of his books got optioned for a big budget screenplay when I wasn't looking.

And yeah, at the time of that interview a lot of people like Dov Charney and Terry Richardson certainly had people complaining about them, but they hadn't yet been in any meaningful way punished. McInnes had been gone from Vice since 2008, but in 2013 they were just starting to pivot from being The Source for Dirtbag News to the broader hard news/culture/investigative reporting with an ample helping of dirtbag stuff they are now.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 12, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1138910833021526021

"Naive enough to miss changing times." Good lord.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 12, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Reading your edit, I guess it's just been a continuum of how much of an apology/self-reflection is involved with the self-exoneration? I am fully willing to believe ol' Max was several years behind the times. And one of us is giving him too much or too little credit, because I'd kind of be surprised if he had any idea who Tao Lin was, unless one of his books got optioned for a big budget screenplay when I wasn't looking.

I'd be surprised too, but I think they were both adept at toeing the line of what they could say without getting called out during that time, of taking the temperature of those spaces and putting on the right performance to continue getting away with predatory behavior. And that those spaces, in the early parts of this decade and the late parts of the aught, were pretty accommodating for male artists who wanted to simultaneously be creeps and to cultivate an image of introspective sensitivity about their own bad-boyness.

I think maybe a useful point of reference would be Junot Diaz' 2018 essay where he frames his mistreatment of women in the past as the unhappy but understandable results of his own history of being abused. In that case, there was a brief period where the reception was largely warm and celebratory, but it quickly pivoted to "wait, he's confessing to some truly hosed up stuff," and when some of the women alluded to very vaguely in his article came forward with more detailed and less white-washed accounts of his abuse they were, at least in the venues I was involved with, taken seriously.

The bloom, thank god, has to a significant degree come off the rose of that particular fetishized model of wounded male heterosexuality, and the kind of poo poo that could fly under the radar in 2013 often can't now, I guess is my broader point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Landis was on an episode of Kumails old xfiles podcast and went on a big rant about the Ghostbusters reboot and Kumail was audibly uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One of my friends was really into alt lit as an artistic movement and was pretty devastated when Tao Lin was revealed to be as horrible as he is.