Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

restore all lawns to prairie status

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mixing in clover is gonna help with #2 and #3.

Totally down with mixing in clover. I have a bunch in the lawn next to my blueberries and it attracts a ton of bees.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hubis posted:

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URJ31uqH07E

Scythe mowing your lawn is actually kind of fun. The clover seems to respond really well to it for some reason.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

bring back old gbs posted:

Hey maybe this is the place to ask, I got a succulent sorta thing from a corner store, planted it in a 3d printed bulbasaur, everything seemed to be going good, it sits in between two of the vine plants you can see in the background. But over the past week this thing's been growing out of it. What the hell?? is it from the vine plants?

Or do succulents do this?

Yay! Mine's flowering too!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yay! Mine's flowering too!

yeah! I didn't even know they did that, now I'm reading conflicting google results re: whether this means my plant is dying or not. Does this kind just flower one time?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for all the additional answers! I'm not really attempting to solve global warming myself in my backyard (though I'm probably already growing enough plants back there to offset at least a portion of my carbon emissions? I wonder how I could calculate that...), but instead was considering it from a theoretical perspective. If I were a botanist trying to genetically engineer a super-plant for carbon capture that could be grown easily lots of places, where would I start?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

restore all lawns to prairie status

I just got done driving from Utah to the east coast, and let me tell you, if I had a couple billion dollars burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy up a few million acres in the midwest and just let it go back to its wild state. It's kind of sad what monoculture has done to that region. I tend to let my lawn just do what it wants, it's probably less than 40% turf grass. As long as it's green, it can grow.

In other news, does anyone know what this plant is? We spread a bag of random "wildflower" seeds in a bed in our backyard last spring, and nothing much came up. However this year this monster is growing like gangbusters. I'm in VA, so it could theoretically be a volunteer, but I'm imagining it's something from the packet that needed to go through a winter.

e: Please ignore my unsightly unturned compost bin.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kedo posted:

Thanks for all the additional answers! I'm not really attempting to solve global warming myself in my backyard (though I'm probably already growing enough plants back there to offset at least a portion of my carbon emissions? I wonder how I could calculate that...), but instead was considering it from a theoretical perspective. If I were a botanist trying to genetically engineer a super-plant for carbon capture that could be grown easily lots of places, where would I start?

I just got done driving from Utah to the east coast, and let me tell you, if I had a couple billion dollars burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy up a few million acres in the midwest and just let it go back to its wild state. It's kind of sad what monoculture has done to that region. I tend to let my lawn just do what it wants, it's probably less than 40% turf grass. As long as it's green, it can grow.

In other news, does anyone know what this plant is? We spread a bag of random "wildflower" seeds in a bed in our backyard last spring, and nothing much came up. However this year this monster is growing like gangbusters. I'm in VA, so it could theoretically be a volunteer, but I'm imagining it's something from the packet that needed to go through a winter.

e: Please ignore my unsightly unturned compost bin.

It's a hollyhock

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

FizFashizzle posted:

Ive got a bunch of white spots on my cucumbers. a lot of the leaves are basically turning yellow, especially the ones that are inside the porch and not hanging off the balcony. Some of the flowers have kinda just rotted.

I read that it's mold and I've started spraying the leaves with a baking soda solution.

The gourd also has some of the spots but the leaves aren't dying yet.
NOT THE GOURD! :ohdear:

If you get a chance, read up on milk treatments. Some veggie gardeners swear by it for treating fungus on cucurbits. Supposedly it's not as harsh as baking soda?

Your gourd is an excellent thread mascot. Hopefully it triumphs! :black101:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sending positive thoughts the gourd’s way.

:pray:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I’m sending positive thoughts the gourd’s way.

:pray:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah, i think the cucumber is sick. All the leaves that have escaped out through the bars are doing fine, but the ones inside are kinda rough. I went ahead and pruned the worst looking ones. The flowers that were blooming like mad have started to shrivel. I've only got like 4 good cukes from this guy, and the ones growing now look kinda lovely.

You can see a lot of the white spots here behind the main leaf.

And here's a close up.

Here's the gourd. This is all only on the lower leaves. This almost looks like rot.

And here's some more white spots.

Overall the gourd is doing great though!

Here is a female bloom on the top. she'll fruit and hang down once i germinate her. Female blooms come off the secondary vines, while males bloom on the primary.

Here's a male bloom right where bumblee was captured. I think the next time I try to grow one I'll try to get something weird attached early so it'll carry it up as it grows.

looking at about sixteen feet total of growth which is about the limit if you want good gourds, but I can't bring myself to trim it.

So yeah, kinda worried about the cucumbers :smith:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Go you gourd thing!

Edit:
My radishes are coming up nicely

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 11, 2019

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

yeah! I didn't even know they did that, now I'm reading conflicting google results re: whether this means my plant is dying or not. Does this kind just flower one time?

Nope, it will keep on trucking. Also, generally, plants that only flower once and die (pineapple, etc) will produce many offsets at the bottom before they kick the bucket, which in turn will become new plants.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I've been growing heaps of cacti and succulents from seeds. They're tediously slow to grow, and most are still very small. These guys here are old enough to withstand close to full sun now - and when spring arrives they should start accelerating in their growth.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

I live in Seattle. What is this? It has such a wonderful scent~

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Privet..?

Did you pull it off a larger bush/tree?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Bina posted:

Flowers and smell make me think lilac, if it was off a bush

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bina posted:

Flowers look like a hyacinth, and they smell nice. They’re a bulb that grows out of the ground. Pics of leaves/ the whole plant help too-lots of flowers look like other flowers.

E: just saw the little leaves up by the flower. Definitely not a hyacinth

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 12, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Schmeichy posted:

Flowers and smell make me think lilac, if it was off a bush

I'm going to second that, I'm in the PNW and lots of folks grow them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's a hollyhock

Thank you! :)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What I can see of the leaves still reminds me more of privet than lilac (taper at the base, not much petiole), but they're very closely related. Which of the two is blooming in the PNW right now?

e: in the SE, chinese privet bloomed a while ago, but japanese/silky privet is currently blooming

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 12, 2019

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What I can see of the leaves still reminds me more of privet than lilac (taper at the base, not much petiole), but they're very closely related. Which of the two is blooming in the PNW right now?

e: in the SE, chinese privet bloomed a while ago, but japanese/silky privet is currently blooming
Agreed, this looks more like privet, and most lilacs have been spent already in Seattle. The exposed anthers are also pretty classic for privet, whereas lilacs tend to keep their anthers where the petals open.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
a very angry storm just blew threw and the rain and wind were so intense it separated a section of roof at my work. I'm so worried for my plants :ohdear:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

indigi posted:

a very angry storm just blew threw and the rain and wind were so intense it separated a section of roof at my work. I'm so worried for my plants :ohdear:

Thinking positive vibes for your plants

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

same fam

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is more General Yardchat than Plantchat, but if anybody is looking for some goodass perfectly-tuned wind-chimes, I gotchu.

https://www.musicofspheres.com/

This place makes awesome wind-chimes that sound totally amazing in at least 12 different chords and like 5 octaves. I got some for my musician dad as an early Father’s Day present and he loves them so much he’s already gotten two more. Best of all it’s a small local business based in Austin TX, which means any money you give them probably won’t end up going to Trump.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tuberose only blooms at night but my god what a show. And the fragrance is amazing.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Tuberose only blooms at night but my god what a show. And the fragrance is amazing.

So jealous right now. I've got a longflower tuberose that's never shown the slightest inclination towards flowering. Maybe this is the year

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I. M. Gei posted:

This is more General Yardchat than Plantchat, but if anybody is looking for some goodass perfectly-tuned wind-chimes, I gotchu.

https://www.musicofspheres.com/

This place makes awesome wind-chimes that sound totally amazing in at least 12 different chords and like 5 octaves. I got some for my musician dad as an early Father’s Day present and he loves them so much he’s already gotten two more. Best of all it’s a small local business based in Austin TX, which means any money you give them probably won’t end up going to Trump.

I’ll just wait for my neighbours to get some and enjoy them for free.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I just got back from a 2 months trip and many of my plants have had BIZARRE reactions. Echeveria stretching despite being outside on a south facing porch in LAS VEGAS. Sempervivum where the central plant died but the pups are fine. Aloes so skinny they look like sanseveria. Just weird what happens when someone who doesn’t give a poo poo takes care of your plants.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I uhh bought a tiny frangipani

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Sempervivum where the central plant died but the pups are fine.

I was guessing that was normal eventually, particularly after they flower. This is what I've got going on right now:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Winter Stormer posted:

So jealous right now. I've got a longflower tuberose that's never shown the slightest inclination towards flowering. Maybe this is the year

It was a bulb my mom gave me. I have no idea how old this thing is. But it came up VERY fast.

There's another one who's not doing much of anything tho

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks again to Kaiser Schnitzel's rose recommendations. Our 'Graham Thomas' is now in the ground (next to a brick chimney so it can climb if it wants) and seems to be happy!

And the voodoo lily bulbs listrada gifted me with a couple seasons ago are starting to leaf! Well, one is huge and tall and pretty much where it's going to be till fall. The other one is much slower going...probably because what I'd thought was a piece of root poking up through the soil was actually a second shoot. :dance: I hope the rest of my plants do as well as these two.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nosre posted:

I was guessing that was normal eventually, particularly after they flower. This is what I've got going on right now:

whoa those look great, the middle pic looks like those leaf lizards

this is the progress on my long boi

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my cilantro isn't doin gwell at all. One of the sprouts looks dead.

The radishes however are thriving. The green onions.....meh.

Basil is steady.

Sadly, I think it's time to 86 the cukes. Mold has overtaken it. All the flowers have withered. He's dead and just doesn't know it yet. Plus, he's taking up some primo real estate. I think what i'll do is get another one going from seed and try to direct his growth a little better. Plus, I got some plans for a morning glory on that corner.

Another of the tuberose. The scent is so strong it i can smell it just when i leave the door open.

And this, ladies and gents, is a baby gourd. I pollinated it by hand with a tooth brush from a male flower. So far that's the only female flower i've seen, but more look like they're ready to grow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Praise the Gᴏᴜʀᴅ!

The Sᴏɴ of Gᴏᴜʀᴅ did not come to be served, but to serve.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The gourd is good the pistol is evil

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

https://youtu.be/Og_g3b5edRY

Welcome to my life

Edit: I have gotten confused between the GBS gardening thread and the diy gardening thread.

I leave this here for posterity

Jestery fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

whoa those look great, the middle pic looks like those leaf lizards

this is the progress on my long boi

Congrats! Two of my bulbies flowered last summer and I somehow never took pictures. :sigh:

Best I got were these two shots, and they don't even show the flower stalk on the middle guy: