Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mainland European everything is better than Anglosphere everything when it comes to food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Brawnfire posted:

I truly love a slice of american cheese on a burger and am fully on your side bad posts ahead!!!

Plus you have a bad machinery avatar so you're cool in my book

:respek:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Posting peeve (yes, yes, I know, someone is going to say that my posting is a peeve of theirs):

Post A: {Thing 1. Thing 2. Thing 3.}
Post B: {quoting the entirety of Post A} I don't know if you knew this, but {Thing 2}.

Like, c'mon. It's right there. I get you can miss things, and it chafes my rear end when I forget, but at least edit your post to acknowledge that you missed it, or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MisterBibs posted:

Posting peeve (yes, yes, I know, someone is going to say that my posting is a peeve of theirs):

Post A: {Thing 1. Thing 2. Thing 3.}
Post B: {quoting the entirety of Post A} I don't know if you knew this, but {Thing 2}.

Like, c'mon. It's right there. I get you can miss things, and it chafes my rear end when I forget, but at least edit your post to acknowledge that you missed it, or something.

An amusing version of this is:

Poster 1: Posts (thing)
Poster 2: (thing) reminds me of (thing2)
Posters 1 and 2 discuss (thing2)
Poster 3: How can you talk about (thing2) without posting (thing)?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s the specific namedropping that annoys me. You can get american chocolate that doesn’t have that Special Flavour. You can get lots of foreign chocolate in the US too. But nope, it has to be the one massive well-known company that’s famously got Hershey manufacturing its US product.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i've been trying to convince people for years that "american cheese" isn't all kraft singles, and is actually incredibly delicious. sometimes i need cheese to melt properly, and cheddar tends to get oily
Look, it's really hard for people to understand that America is a big place and we have options outside of the cheapest poo poo in the Wal-mart grocery section. That goes triple for people who aren't American themselves.

Incidentally, non-Americans assuming that Hershey's garbage is only chocolate from America is an ongoing peeve of mine.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Minor peeve: when I'm cleaning a bathroom and people stare at me expecting me to stop cleaning and get out rather than looking around to see the Five empty bathrooms in the same hallway.

Major peeve: when people act like I'm an rear end in a top hat for asking them to use one of the empty bathrooms so I can actually clean the one I'm already cleaning.

I feel like part of it is that they're embarrassed and feel like they need to commit or something but like whooo loving cares I'm making it as easy as possible to just say "whoops my bad" and move on like a normal person

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shibawanko posted:

Mainland European everything is better than Anglosphere everything when it comes to food.

Germany mass produces the worst cheese on earth

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

that guy who says "for sandwiches" in the arbys commercial.

what the hell else would the meats be for

Since that's H. Jon Benjamin, I like to pretend it's Bob Belcher in an alternate future where his restaurant failed and he was forced to shill for Big Fast Food.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Look, it's really hard for people to understand that America is a big place and we have options outside of the cheapest poo poo in the Wal-mart grocery section. That goes triple for people who aren't American themselves.

Incidentally, non-Americans assuming that Hershey's garbage is only chocolate from America is an ongoing peeve of mine.

Yeah but in this instance he is talking about the product called "American cheese" that is the specific low quality garbage cheese people look down on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Boy I sure do love being told to update a spreadsheet by the person that currently has it locked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

rodbeard posted:

Yeah but in this instance he is talking about the product called "American cheese" that is the specific low quality garbage cheese people look down on.

The american cheese mentioned specifically called out the poo poo oily garbage that comes in single-serve plastic slips called “american cheese product” vs. the actual cheese you can purchase at a deli called “american cheese.” American cheese the actual cheese is no one’s favourite cheese but it’s a solid option if you want to grate some into an omelette or stick a slice on a cold sandwich or something

“American cheese” is not just kraft singles and McDonald’s topping, sorry if this is hard for you to bear

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Jun 11, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When you click in to your twitter or facebook tab, see a thing you want to read, then it "helpfully" auto-refreshes and knocks it off the page.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Danaru posted:

Minor peeve: when I'm cleaning a bathroom and people stare at me expecting me to stop cleaning and get out rather than looking around to see the Five empty bathrooms in the same hallway.

Major peeve: when people act like I'm an rear end in a top hat for asking them to use one of the empty bathrooms so I can actually clean the one I'm already cleaning.

I feel like part of it is that they're embarrassed and feel like they need to commit or something but like whooo loving cares I'm making it as easy as possible to just say "whoops my bad" and move on like a normal person

Peeve: Managers who make their employees mop the floor during high-volume periods. It really annoys me when I'm sitting at a table eating lunch and the guy with the mop comes around trying to mop the floor around me. I know it's not the guy with the mop's fault, but it's still annoying. drat, wait until a slow period.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When you click in to your twitter or facebook tab, see a thing you want to read, then it "helpfully" auto-refreshes and knocks it off the page.

This forever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People still uploading torrents with a sample video. I'm not on dial-up, I'll just download the whole thing.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
People who misuse the word "humbled" when they mean "overwhelmed" (or something else, idk). This really bugs me when people say this in their acceptance speech when they've won a major award, like an actor at the Oscars.

"Wow, thank you, I feel so humbled right now."

That's not what "humbled" is! You're humbled when you DON'T win the award, when your career tanks, when you've been arrogantly thinking you're hot poo poo and something puts you in your rightful place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The american cheese mentioned specifically called out the poo poo oily garbage that comes in single-serve plastic slips called “american cheese product” vs. the actual cheese you can purchase at a deli called “american cheese.” American cheese the actual cheese is no one’s favourite cheese but it’s a solid option if you want to grate some into an omelette or stick a slice on a cold sandwich or something

“American cheese” is not just kraft singles and McDonald’s topping, sorry if this is hard for you to bear

Wait US delis have American cheese?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Aphrodite posted:

Wait US delis have American cheese?

Yes and as they were saying it's not at all like the single serve plastic wrapped slices. It's pretty good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

People who misuse the word "humbled" when they mean "overwhelmed" (or something else, idk). This really bugs me when people say this in their acceptance speech when they've won a major award, like an actor at the Oscars.

"Wow, thank you, I feel so humbled right now."

That's not what "humbled" is! You're humbled when you DON'T win the award, when your career tanks, when you've been arrogantly thinking you're hot poo poo and something puts you in your rightful place.

quote:

adjective
humbled (comparative more humbled, superlative most humbled)
  1. (usually qualifying a first-person pronoun) Grateful for the support of others, touched; honored, flattered.
  2. Overcome with humility; in awe of the strength of another or one's own weakness
Usage notes
The use of such forms as "I am humbled" in victory speeches and the like has been criticised as an oxymoron given the meaning of the verb humble. It indicates modesty via a sense of unworthiness of the honor, or surprise at one's success; humility rather than humiliation. See also humblebrag.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"See also humblebrag." Eat poo poo olds we have the dictionary now.

Peeve: people who take the bus who nobly choose to stand so others can sit... when there is plenty of seating and it's after rush hour. Sit down dumbshits. These people always end up crowding at either the main door or the back exit. Because those areas have room for people to stand together. Because that is where people walk to get on and off the bus.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"See also humblebrag." Eat poo poo olds we have the dictionary now.

Peeve: people who take the bus who nobly choose to stand so others can sit... when there is plenty of seating and it's after rush hour. Sit down dumbshits. These people always end up crowding at either the main door or the back exit. Because those areas have room for people to stand together. Because that is where people walk to get on and off the bus.

Or they stand right in front of an empty seat, not using it but preventing anyone else from using it either.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MightyJoe36 posted:

Peeve: Managers who make their employees mop the floor during high-volume periods. It really annoys me when I'm sitting at a table eating lunch and the guy with the mop comes around trying to mop the floor around me. I know it's not the guy with the mop's fault, but it's still annoying. drat, wait until a slow period.

Very bad management. Where I've worked it's spot-cleans for messes and recently vacated seats, basically as a part of bussing. Nobody gives a poo poo if the table next to them is getting a carpet sweep and a wipedown. Nobody likes a vacuum or mop or broom nudging their ankles or a bucket of dirty water set next to them during a meal. I was at one place where the guy parked a rolling dumpster next to me to empty garbages while I ate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Very bad management. Where I've worked it's spot-cleans for messes and recently vacated seats, basically as a part of bussing. Nobody gives a poo poo if the table next to them is getting a carpet sweep and a wipedown. Nobody likes a vacuum or mop or broom nudging their ankles or a bucket of dirty water set next to them during a meal. I was at one place where the guy parked a rolling dumpster next to me to empty garbages while I ate.

There's a special kind of restaurant shame reserved for the times where your manager orders you to do something you know the customers will hate.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Yes and as they were saying it's not at all like the single serve plastic wrapped slices. It's pretty good.

It's literally the same thing just unsliced. By definition everything labelled American Cheese is the fake stuff. Buy Colby cheese instead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It most certainly is not. Only someone who has never tasted either kind would say something like that. Go to the store once in a while.

be clear with the words you are using. Kraft singles fake is not equivalent to the deli sliced cheese "fake".

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Jun 11, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never seen "American" cheese for sale at the deli, at either supermarkets or the fancy groceries. What does it taste like? Cheddar?

I do like Kraft singles for burgers and baked potatoes. In any other context they taste vile.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I've never seen "American" cheese for sale at the deli, at either supermarkets or the fancy groceries. What does it taste like? Cheddar?

I do like Kraft singles for burgers and baked potatoes. In any other context they taste vile.

I think the primary components are cheddar and colby, so a mix of those basically. There's a white and a yellow variety (maybe more) that taste slightly different.

I don't like it as much as cheddar on a sandwich, but it's still not in the same category as the "food product" singles. You can tell just by looking at the stuff - one is shiny and actually feels fake, the other feels and looks like cheese.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
http://thecookinggeek.com/american-cheese/

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The whole point is kind of stupid to argue about (as with everything else I've posted/argued about ITT) because all of them (cheese whiz, velveeta, artificial food product singles, and deli american cheese) are good for their own purposes. Imho it's like arguing about different fat content of ground beef. You use the cheap fatty stuff one way, the lean more expensive stuff another way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

rodbeard posted:

It's literally the same thing just unsliced. By definition everything labelled American Cheese is the fake stuff. Buy Colby cheese instead.

It’s literally not friend

One is a crappy cheese that melts well and one is solidified vegetable fat with natural flavour

As an american who moved to Canada, this is a hilariously stupid and exaggerated take on the actual differences between the two countries.

Like it’s the black-and-white infomercial family version of what lovers moving between the two actually entails. I’m shocked no one did a wacky slip on a melting kraft single while their child threw gravy and cheese curds around, before the full-colour parents made kraft dinner with boatloads of ketchup and with kraft brand gravy packet sauce on some fries.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Jun 12, 2019

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Canadian cheese is superior to everything.
Same goes for Alberta beef, and BC weed.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

American cheese vs "American cheese". It's one of those weird things like "salad" or "a salad".

I think of the processed and individually wrapped kind by default, but it also exists as an actual cheese that's a blend of colby and cheddar. Both are good.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

[dictionary post]

I don't agree with that dictionary. :colbert: This is what Merriam-Webster says:

quote:

humble adjective
Definition of humble (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2 : reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission
3a : ranking low in a hierarchy or scale : INSIGNIFICANT, UNPRETENTIOUS
b : not costly or luxurious

humble verb
Definition of humble (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb
1 : to make (someone) humble (see HUMBLE entry 1) in spirit or manner
2 : to destroy the power, independence, or prestige of

But then I found this article in The Atlantic which explains what's going on with actors and "humbled." and apparently it's not a misuse of the word after all.

quote:

Winning an award is about the least humbling thing in the world, and yet when people receive an Oscar or some other illustrious honor, they often say they feel “humbled.” Really, what winners feel is immense pride—and immense fear of being seen as prideful—and so they cover for it by saying they feel the exact opposite, humility. No one wants to come across as cocky. Are winners right to fear backlash for expressing a natural emotion at their most exultant moment? New research finds that they are. [...]

In their first experiment—published in the journal Emotion under the title “Don’t Grin When You Win”—Kalokerinos and her collaborators showed Australian university students 30-second clips of people winning things: Academy Awards, tennis matches, and game shows. Some winners expressed obvious happiness and pride, while others suppressed it. In each clip, there were no actual words spoken, just an initial emotional reaction. Participants expressed how positively they viewed the winners by rating them on several traits: aggressive, selfish, intelligent, friendly, nice, and likable. They also judged the winners’ hubristic pride by rating how arrogant, conceited, and egotistical they were. Winners who kept their emotions in check were rated more positively (5.35 versus 4.88 on a 1–7 scale), and this was, in part, due to lower perceived hubristic pride.

[...]
In a final experiment, Kalokerinos and colleagues tested a factor besides perceived hubris that might lead viewers to prefer inexpressive winners. Americans online watched the expressive and inexpressive videos and rated the hubris and positive and negative traits of the winners as before, as well as how well they thought they’d get along with the winners. They also rated how much each winner was trying to protect the loser’s feelings. Suppressing pride led to more positive impressions, and greater appeal as a potential friend. These judgments were partially accounted for by lower ratings of hubristic pride, and, independently, a greater perceived desire to protect the loser. So inexpressive winners were seen as both humble and considerate.

[...]
In deciding whether to express self-satisfaction, one must make a context-sensitive tradeoff. Put simply, would you rather be seen as on top of your game or a good sport? Would you rather be feared or loved? In a competitive situation, it might be better to take the personal and positional hit of not beating your chest, and in exchange reap the reward of being seen as a nice, humble success story whom everyone really, really likes.
So here's another peeve: that lovely, too common, Crabs-in-the-Bucket syndrome that makes people resent the successes of others.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bathroom hogs. Some people have a rougher time making GBS threads than others, but no matter how bad your diet is it shouldn't take an hour or longer.

(Yes, I currently really need to poop.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Bathroom hogs. Some people have a rougher time making GBS threads than others, but no matter how bad your diet is it shouldn't take an hour or longer.

(Yes, I currently really need to poop.)

"Boss makes a dollar while I make a dime, that's why I always poop on company time"

In my pet peeve news, engineers:

- The software I use isn't magic, it takes work to do these things you want me to do. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes it takes hours, and whenever you call me to ask how it's coming, I"m going to go shitpost for a while instead.

- I have completed the mark ups you gave me, why are you now giving it back to me with more that weren't there the first time around? I"m going to shitpost for a while instead.

- It's 10 minutes before I go home for the day, why are you giving me instructions now? You better drat well believe that the first 30 minutes of the day tomorrow is going to be shitposting.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I know I've bitched about this at least twice in this thread but it just happened again--idiots ordering me to cross the street.

I stopped at the corner with my dog, saw an SUV coming--no big, I'll just wait.

Of course he stops in the middle of the loving road. Surely not for me, I think. If he'd kept going I could have already crossed by now. But now I'm waiting to see if he's actually turning and wondering if I've waited long enough that he'll lunge forward if I do try to cross.

Another car comes along the opposite way. Oh good, I'll just wait this one out, I think, and the SUV can move on in the meantime.

Instead waits for the other car to pass, then keeps sitting like a lump in the road, then loving honks at me.

Aaauugh. What is the line of reasoning here? "I'm going to create a dumb, unnecessary situation where everyone's time is getting wasted, and if the pedestrian doesn't validate my dumb choice fast enough I'm going to blast noise at them."

I used to jump at horns and scuttle across the road but NO MORE. Now I gesture angrily until they give up and go. DON'T TELL ME WHEN TO CROSS, YOU FUCKS.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been sitting in a meeting for the last 45 minutes. My boss brought his lunch and he's a notoriously noisy eater. He's spent almost the whole time chowing down and talking with his mouth full, and it's taking so much willpower to not completely blow up on him right now.

If you don't close your mouth when you chew, you're a horrible piece of poo poo and you can :fuckoff:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The duplex behind me has had a canoe atop a pile of trash behind their garage for over a year. Today I noticed a second one has joined it. Would it be weird for me to go over an knock on the door to ask if I could just take the canoes? Are they likely to even know what I'm talking about, or is the landlord the one chucking garbage back there?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

artsy fartsy posted:

Aaauugh. What is the line of reasoning here? "I'm going to create a dumb, unnecessary situation where everyone's time is getting wasted, and if the pedestrian doesn't validate my dumb choice fast enough I'm going to blast noise at them."

Yes, the line of reasoning is that we want to create an unnecessary situation where everyone's time is wasted and definitely not that we're trying to give you the right of way since it appears that you want to cross the street. If you don't want to cross the street you should make it obvious by not standing in the spot one does when they want to cross the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My backpack counts as my personal space! If you're close enough to compress my backpack you're too close