Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

E: Carl's vids are pretty bad in this regard too but he's fun to watch at GDQ events.
His thumbnails are indeed silly, but apparently that poo poo works, so some youtubers who don't really like it, do it anyways.

and if I remember correctly he has someone else doing his video editing (since he streams, but has cut down vods on his channel) so maybe the editor is to blame. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

E: Carl's vids are pretty bad in this regard too but he's fun to watch at GDQ events.

oh for sure. i'm not really big on the way his editor does things and carl himself definitely exaggerates himself a lot more now than he used to. he's still good overall though imo

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tayter Swift posted:

I wanted to see the Invitational Saturday night so I searched YouTube for "super Mario maker invitational" and while the original video was nowhere to be found the first forty hits were reaction videos. Every last ones' thumbnail was the Youtuber making an exaggerated baboon face in front of a screenshot.

That's when I learned that that I have aged out of popular culture and I'm honestly a bit salty up over it.

Be honest, regdate 2002 goon, were you ever 'with it' with popular culture?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I watched the final level of the invitational and my only thought was that it looked like a mid-tier expert level so I didn't bother to find the rest.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ItBreathes posted:

Be honest, regdate 2002 goon, were you ever 'with it' with popular culture?

Hey now, I, uh, liked that one Daft Punk album at the appropriate time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sharrrk posted:

carlsagan42 is great, he's a great combination of knowing a lot about the game and actually being good at it and also still being completely susceptible to falling for the dumbest tricks, also he isn't a terrible person like a lot of streamers. he puts together great levels and now romhacks of his own as well

Yeah, he is a genuinely positive person. I'm more drawn to carl and dragonfeeney than people like Dode/Grandpoobear for that reason. Dode/Grandpoobear are good to watch but they sometimes get super salty and take it out on chat (who probably do deserve it, but still).

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

IcePhoenix posted:

I watched the final level of the invitational and my only thought was that it looked like a mid-tier expert level so I didn't bother to find the rest.

Really? I thought it looked pretty easy.

As for SMM streamers, Feeny is pretty good. Mario Lab is pretty underrated. BigJon is cool too.

You could also always watch me stream it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Little Mac posted:

Really? I thought it looked pretty easy.

It did but I think there were enough gotchas to put it in expert

e: I've never actually played the game so my guess at where it would end up could be off and it's just a "normal" level, but it looked like a lot of levels I see in expert from what I've watched on streams/youtube.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 12, 2019

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

IcePhoenix posted:

It did but I think there were enough gotchas to put it in expert

e: I've never actually played the game so my guess at where it would end up could be off and it's just a "normal" level, but it looked like a lot of levels I see in expert from what I've watched on streams/youtube.

When I think expert I'm thinking troll poo poo and shell jumps. I don't think there was anything TOO trolly there. Any time they failed climbing the mountain there was a quick way to come back. Most expert levels I've played are pretty brutal.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tayter Swift posted:

I wanted to see the Invitational Saturday night so I searched YouTube for "super Mario maker invitational" and while the original video was nowhere to be found the first forty hits were reaction videos. Every last ones' thumbnail was the Youtuber making an exaggerated baboon face in front of a screenshot.

That's when I learned that that I have aged out of popular culture and I'm honestly a bit salty up over it.

Don't be mad about this. You're missing out on reaction videos. They're all completely boring and useless. Here I'll sum up literally every one of them for you so you don't miss out:

"HEYYY WHATSUPEVERYBODY ITS [name] HERE AHAHAHAHA" *starts watching video* "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's INSAAAANE I'M LITERALLY DYING AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Please like and subscribe and enable notifications and donate to my Patreon account so I can keep doing this and providing you with this amazing content that you definitely love and it's a good thing I told you that otherwise you wouldn't know because it's definitely not something you hear in every single video on youtube now."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 12, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Little Mac posted:

When I think expert I'm thinking troll poo poo and shell jumps. I don't think there was anything TOO trolly there. Any time they failed climbing the mountain there was a quick way to come back. Most expert levels I've played are pretty brutal.

Good point, a lot of fail states resulted in setbacks but not deaths. And the biggest troll I'm thinking of is the on/off switch and red coins

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
You thought you hated pick-a-pipe? How about long and difficult level where an On/Off switch is at the beginning and you don't know whether hitting it lets you win or NOT hitting it lets you win

On/Off switches are going to cause more rage than any other SMM2 item, calling that poo poo now

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

timp posted:

You thought you hated pick-a-pipe? How about long and difficult level where an On/Off switch is at the beginning and you don't know whether hitting it lets you win or NOT hitting it lets you win

On/Off switches are going to cause more rage than any other SMM2 item, calling that poo poo now

How many levels do you think are going to exist where you'll have to hit the ON/OFF button the correct number of times and with the right timing, to control the path of an off-screen turtle shell that eventually will hit the P switch to unblock your way to the flag. You'll just have to hit the button randomly and hope for the best without being able to see anything.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

How many levels do you think are going to exist where you'll have to hit the ON/OFF button the correct number of times and with the right timing, to control the path of an off-screen turtle shell that eventually will hit the P switch to unblock your way to the flag. You'll just have to hit the button randomly and hope for the best without being able to see anything.

Well I know what my first level is going to be now :getin:

HINT: the jumps will be synced with the soundtrack

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

timp posted:

The future is the past

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope the on/off blocks are powerful enough to make cool puzzles.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

timp posted:

Just make it so that if you get it wrong, the turtle shell filters down onto the same platform Mario has to stand on to hit the on/off switch. Of course this platform should also be book-ended by hard blocks to make the shell bounce back and fourth at Mario indefinitely.

Required blind guessing + huge price for failure = totally fun!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 12, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, I asked this before and didn’t get a clear response. Is there something I should do to promote goon levels to streamers?
I can tweet at them, but I don’t intend to subscribe to anyone on twitch (Except Maybe Cartridge blowers), and I suspect that they will mostly be interested in playing subscriber levels, right?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DalaranJ posted:

So, I asked this before and didn’t get a clear response. Is there something I should do to promote goon levels to streamers?
I can tweet at them, but I don’t intend to subscribe to anyone on twitch (Except Maybe Cartridge blowers), and I suspect that they will mostly be interested in playing subscriber levels, right?

Not all streamers require subscription to submit a level. Most don't, at least that I've come across.

Chances are, goons will be submitting their levels in this thread (or the next if there's a new one at release), so they'll be easy to find. Hopefully there will be some better cataloging features in the game this time around, but it's Nintendo, so probably not.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Not all streamers require subscription to submit a level. Most don't, at least that I've come across.

Chances are, goons will be submitting their levels in this thread (or the next if there's a new one at release), so they'll be easy to find. Hopefully there will be some better cataloging features in the game this time around, but it's Nintendo, so probably not.

I’ll be creating the new thread after I get home from work on the 27th. And I’ll be posting every level mentioned in the thread to the thread twitter account.

While I’m at it, I have to remember to ask for a discord sub forum on the goon switch discord.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

DalaranJ posted:

Yo, thank you for the plug! I will never ask for subscriptions to play viewer levels. I will get killed by all of your terrible off-screen thwomps a million times for free. :)

(though i mean subs are cool or w/e)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DalaranJ posted:

I’ll be creating the new thread after I get home from work on the 27th. And I’ll be posting every level mentioned in the thread to the thread twitter account.

While I’m at it, I have to remember to ask for a discord sub forum on the goon switch discord.

This is fantastic :toot:

Does anyone know if there'll be a way for me to get levels downloaded to my Switch while at work (and the Switch is home, obviously)?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is fantastic :toot:

Does anyone know if there'll be a way for me to get levels downloaded to my Switch while at work (and the Switch is home, obviously)?

You could do this with SMM1 so hopefully you'll be able to do it for 2

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You could do this with SMM1 so hopefully you'll be able to do it for 2

Yeah, even though stuff like search seems to be greatly expanded, I'd love for the Bookmark sitr to come back.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Treehouse showed off the night castle theme today. Mario swims through the air but the enemies have normal behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krW5kUKxI_8&t=812s

I'm not sure that was worth the secrecy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that was in a promo image before the Mario Maker 2 direct even came out anyway

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I still think forcing the pairing of night theme and mechanical effect is a dumb and bad idea. The night themes look fantastic but the effects that go with them are really gimmicky, and way less appealing than the night aesthetic. It would be so much better to be able to toggle effects on and off with a check box. Or you know, tie those effects to triggers in levels, like blocks or on/off switches.

It's just such an arbitrary constraint in a game that's otherwise entirely about being a platform (heh) for creativity and variety.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 13, 2019

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I just want to be able to use the normal stage music with the night themes. The music box versions of the songs are neat, but they’ll get old after awhile.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

You should at leas be able to set something like the boss or galaxy music if you don’t want the lullaby versions of the level themes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I still think forcing the pairing of night theme and mechanical effect is a dumb and bad idea. The night themes look fantastic but the effects that go with them are really gimmicky, and way less appealing than the night aesthetic. It would be so much better to be able to toggle effects on and off with a check box. Or you know, tie those effects to triggers in levels, like blocks or on/off switches.

It's just such an arbitrary constraint in a game that's otherwise entirely about being a platform (heh) for creativity and variety.

Has this been totally confirmed? I thought it was the addition (and usage) of the moon that put the effect in, but maybe I misunderstood.

Yes, the look and gimmick (and music!) should all be separate, I totally agree.

EDIT: Also, these Treehouse gameplay videos are fantastic :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 13, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You people have terrible opinions

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Question for all you "linked level" opinion havers. How many of you actually downloaded level sets (ie, World 1-1 through 1-4) and played through them in Course Bot?

Admittedly, there were a few makers I followed that created their stages in this format, but I'd usually just sequence directly from the Bookmarks, which killed any coin + power-up tracking between levels.

The reason I ask is because as I'm planning out my next 8 worlds of content, I'm not even sure if there is a good reason to worry about a proper sequence or escalating difficulty. Instead, I may just pick a world type and build a handful of levels that fit the theme and have some recurring challenges. For most players, I don't think there's a difference between "3-1 Perilous Pipeline > 3-2 Carnivorous Cavern" and just playing them individually anyway.

Do y'all feel anything would be lost if a maker simply said "Here's a collection of ice themed levels. Play them in any order you want!"?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

DarkLich posted:

Do y'all feel anything would be lost if a maker simply said "Here's a collection of ice themed levels. Play them in any order you want!"?

I think that depends entirely on the levels. For example, if you design your second level with a ? block that has a Star in it... that can only be hit by flying up at it using the Racoon powerup you were able to keep from the last level, then yes, something would be lost if you started that level out of order with nothing. Also, if your last level is really super hard and you want to prep players for it by making your second-to-last level a cakewalk that throws 1UP mushrooms at Mario like confetti, then playing those out of order wouldn't make much sense either.

But yeah, if the person making the levels just wanted to make a bunch with no continuity to throw at the player, then nothing would be lost.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 13, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DarkLich posted:

Question for all you "linked level" opinion havers. How many of you actually downloaded level sets (ie, World 1-1 through 1-4) and played through them in Course Bot?

Having not played SMM1, I had to look up Coursebot just now. Did it allow for you to keep your lives/status between levels that you put in a certain order?

I sincerely hope Nintendo allow that ability. If I have to order them myself, I don't care, I'll do it. Just let me make and/or enjoy a series of levels, meant to be played in a certain order.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Did power ups carry over when playing a string of levels in course bot? I could swear it was just lives and coins. Anyways I don’t think we’ve heard confirmation that you can still do that in course bot but it didn’t seem to be present in the UI.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Never played OG MM but carrying powerups over sounds like it would break a ton of maps and even make some unplayable. Imagine starting as Super Mario on a map that starts you off in a little-mario sized corridor. Or putting a tough map right after your own custom map filled with powerups.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tayter Swift posted:

Never played OG MM but carrying powerups over sounds like it would break a ton of maps and even make some unplayable. Imagine starting as Super Mario on a map that starts you off in a little-mario sized corridor. Or putting a tough map right after your own custom map filled with powerups.

I think the point would be to string together a bunch of courses that are meant to work together.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I'm kind of fascinated by the 'movement', for lack of a better term, of clearing out all of the SMM1 levels that have a 0.00% clearance rate. That's pretty neat, and I wonder if they'll get them all done before SMM2 is released.

EDIT: Also, here's a really well-designed troll level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28kItTOSQM

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 14, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Double post, sorry whatever; I'm curious as to how the game determines the difficulty of a given level. Is that an option when you create it, to say what it is? Or is it based on the completion percentage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Or is it based on the completion percentage?

It's this, but also it counts runs instead of users, so if your level is only played by one person who plays ten times and only clears it once, it's a 10% clear rate.