Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
gently caress the PRC and gently caress any tankie pos who downplays this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

colachute posted:

If you’re a good cop then be a good cop. But you also have to understand you’re part of an institution that doesn’t exactly have the greatest reputation, and trying to be the lone savior of that reputation in this thread will only 100% serve to frustrate you and is probably not worth it. People here don’t like cops. They have reasons for feeling that way. Running in and “NOT ALL COPS!”ing the discussion is just throwing gasoline on the fire (and yes, that is what you were doing).

One bad apple spoils the bunch. Believe it or not but these sayings exist for a reason.

oh gently caress off you condescending twatwaffle

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If anyone hasn’t watched Jon Stewart’s most recent 911 first responder speech to Congress, you should.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

oh gently caress off you condescending twatwaffle

Well I’m definitely on your side now.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

colachute posted:

Well I’m definitely on your side now.

nobody cares

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CURRENT EVENT: LEE CARTER WON THE DEM PRIMARY FOR HIS SEAT

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mr. Nice! posted:

If anyone hasn’t watched Jon Stewart’s most recent 911 first responder speech to Congress, you should.

Caught it on the news this morning.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Yeah, It's a hell of a watch. His anger and anguish is loving palpable

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Smiling Jack posted:

nobody cares

you seem to. a lot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

I plan to watch it after work today. I was mad enough at other poo poo yesterday.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Re: John Stewart, I’m glad he called out all the assholes who didn’t show up but made sure to post #neverforget in their twitters. I hate that we(Americans, particularly the right) use first responders, military, etc. so readily as political pawns and then poo poo on them when it counts. I don’t understand how more people in those communities aren’t left leaning given how bad the VA, or 9/11 survivors are treated all the while hugging flags and proudly singing the national anthem despite not knowing the words.

Re: China, so right now I’m working in the IC on some stuff with machine learning applications. I’ve been reading a lot of open source white papers in one specific field and happened to go down a rabbit hole when I started looking at the PRC’s research. Lots of stuff specifically looking to find minorities or dissenting Han. Creepy stuff like generating facial profiles based on touch DNA. Russia has some similar things for their anti-lgbtq work, but no where to the same degree.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FAUXTON posted:

CURRENT EVENT: LEE CARTER WON THE DEM PRIMARY FOR HIS SEAT

This is good news.

Also good news,, two candidates for Commonwealth Attorney who were running on criminal justice reform also won their primaries.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

9/11 isn't useful unless you're using it to justify hate or start a stupid war.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I used to be one of those people that was like "cops are good and our friends and protect us from criminals!"

That changed after I served in my national guard unit and realised the...50ish odd folks I knew who served in a variety of LE departments across a major metropolitan area, were bullies who got off on it.

"I love being a cop because I get a badge and a gun and I get to gently caress with people and they can't do anything about it." -literal quote from someone I served with who was a cop in civilian life. He was far from the only one to espouse views like this.

Soooo......if cops want folks to stop thinking they're assholes, maybe.....they should stop being assholes? ::shrugs::

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is good news.

Also good news,, two candidates for Commonwealth Attorney who were running on criminal justice reform also won their primaries.

Cool, that owns.

In other CE news, how's everyone's weather looking today? It's reportedly 54 here but it feels warmer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Cool, that owns.

In other CE news, how's everyone's weather looking today? It's reportedly 54 here but it feels warmer.

We’ve had way too pleasant and cool start to the DC area summer, which can only mean it’s going to be 95 degrees and rainy for the entire months of July and August.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

We’ve had way too pleasant and cool start to the DC area summer, which can only mean it’s going to be 95 degrees and rainy for the entire months of July and August.

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous. I'm sitting outside waiting for an appointment right now and it feels like a cool early spring morning.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FAUXTON posted:

Cool, that owns.

Was up to 43 here today. °C.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nice and cool up here, it really does feel like mid-April.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

88 in Tacoma today. Morning PT thankfully but my little reserve navy unit forgot that big army PTs here so we need to find another field lol

brains
May 12, 2004

CURRENT EVENTS

Breaking Defense posted:

$34B = Biggest Procurement In History As Lockheed, DoD Handshake Deal for 478 F-35s

The $34B agreement for F-35 Low Rate Initial Production Lots 12-14 will see the delivery of 478 F-35 aircraft

...the biggest conventional weapons program in history has just set the record for a single deal in, well, probably, any country at any time. For perspective, the entire Australian defense budget for 2019 came in at about $27.52 billion US.

...the flyaway price of the F-35A will drop below $80 million one year earlier than planned in Low Rate of Initial Production (LRIP) Lot 13.
say what you want about the F-35 program, but at 80 million a pop you'd be hard-pressed to find any other active production fighter for less.

quote:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of [maintainers] suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

The War Zone posted:

Marine MV-22s And CH-53s Executing A Giant Elephant Walk

...neither of the airframes involved have possessed exceptional readiness in recent years, with the CH-53E community, in particular, now emerging from an especially dark period. The Osprey fleet's combined readiness still hovers around 50 percent.

more troops to Poland, along with an upcoming announcement about permanent basing:

Defense One posted:

US to Send 1,000 More Troops to Poland

The United States will add 1,000 troops to the 4,000 already deployed in Poland, a defense official said Tuesday.

“There will be a troop increase, but what is more important, new capabilities/cohesion to US deployments. Most importantly, though, we are likely to progress from temporary/provisional arrangements regarding the presence,” a Polish official told Defense One on Monday.

The U.S. defense official said the addition of the non-combat troops would not violate the 1997 Founding Act on Mutual Relations, Cooperation and Security between NATO and Russia, which prohibits the permanent basing of NATO troops in former Warsaw Pact countries.

Asked whether additional troops would violate the Founding Act, a senior White House official on a background call with reporters on Tuesday said, “Tomorrow’s announcement will be completely consistent with the commitments we’ve made at NATO.”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ahh that's why my dad was able to do 80-90 miles a day pretty much all last week on his bicycle trip.

He went from crossing the NC/VA border last Tuesday to DC on Friday/Saturday and then a few miles south of Baltimore on Monday. It was all on rural roads to avoid traffic, seems pretty scenic too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dwanyelle posted:

I used to be one of those people that was like "cops are good and our friends and protect us from criminals!"

That changed after I served in my national guard unit and realised the...50ish odd folks I knew who served in a variety of LE departments across a major metropolitan area, were bullies who got off on it.

"I love being a cop because I get a badge and a gun and I get to gently caress with people and they can't do anything about it." -literal quote from someone I served with who was a cop in civilian life. He was far from the only one to espouse views like this.

Soooo......if cops want folks to stop thinking they're assholes, maybe.....they should stop being assholes? ::shrugs::

Maybe they were assholes because they're in the military? Like, they probably just wanted to kill babies and stuff. The cop thing was just a bonus chance to slay someone.

I had a national guard guy in my academy. Literal quote from him "joining the department is just another chance to slay". Hes fired now, thank God. I think the army kept him though. I wish their standards were as high as my departments.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 12, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

brains posted:

CURRENT EVENTS

say what you want about the F-35 program, but at 80 million a pop you'd be hard-pressed to find any other active production fighter for less.

Thank God we'll spend a record amount of money on a piece of poo poo plane

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1138529033094860801

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hahaha

They're gonna delete it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If it had been me who'd made it I would have gone for gold. Have Zuck talk about how he's an enthusiastic pedophile and make allusions to the skin suit he's been making in his spare time.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Phone posting but my guess is that’s not a deep fake. It’s more akin to augmented reality using a canny algorithm to replace his mouth, and his voice isnt remotely his. Surprising since the zuck has enough audio/video out there to just generate his actual voice easily.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You'd think a computer would be able to emulate a robot better.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Facebook blocked people from sharing a Lifehacker post on how to find out what and download the data Facebook has on you. This is all publicly available information; Facebook just didn’t like people getting concise instructions as to how to access that data within their opaque privacy settings.

But yeah, Facebook will definitely block this, but not before releasing a video of Zuck saying, “Can you believe that I, your very human best friend, would ever say such horrible things? You can continue to trust me since I’m your very human best friend. Between us best human friends, Facebook never needs to be broken up or subjected to regulatory authority.”

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
how do you do, fellow hoo-mans?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's a real challenge trying to figure out which of these techbro billionaires I hate the most

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a real challenge trying to figure out which of these techbro billionaires I hate the most

...1st place tie between all of them?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Steve Jobs became my favorite when he died.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Milo and POTUS posted:

fuckerberg and elon are tied for first for me

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Current event: Gaia shall purge the human virus

quote:

Shortly after scientists first noticed signs of thaw in the early 1970s, they rushed to monitor emissions of the two most influential greenhouse gases — carbon dioxide and methane. But until recently, the threat of the third-most-prevalent gas, nitrous oxide (N2O) — known in dentistry as laughing gas — has largely been ignored.

In a 2010 paper, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rated permafrost nitrous oxide emissions as “negligible,” and few studies counter this claim.

But a paper published this month in the journal Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics shows that nitrous oxide emissions from thawing Alaskan permafrost are about 12 times higher than previously assumed. Since N2O traps heat nearly 300 times more efficiently than carbon dioxide does, this revelation could mean that the Arctic — and the global climate — are in more danger than we thought. “Much smaller increases in nitrous oxide would entail the same kind of climate change that a large plume of CO2would cause,” said Wilkerson, the paper’s first author and a Ph.D. student at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences based in the lab of James G. Anderson, the Philip S. Weld Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry at Harvard.

When Wilkerson joined Anderson’s lab in 2013, the nitrous oxide data were still raw. He asked if he could analyze the numbers. “It wasn’t expected to be interesting or take very long,” Wilkerson said. “I viewed it as a mini-project. I said let’s use this data we have, because frankly collecting it had been very expensive. I thought I might as well do this, and I can get more eddy covariance experience at the same time.”

Sure, Anderson said, go right ahead. Both men figured the data would confirm what everyone already seemed to know: Nitrous oxide from permafrost is not a credible threat.

“It was 10 million times larger than any previous study looking at permafrost N2O emissions. It makes [previous] findings quite a bit more serious.”

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

brains posted:

more troops to Poland, along with an upcoming announcement about permanent basing:

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/invest-eastern-poland/1/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

fuckerberg and elon are tied for first for me

Elon is the most overtly and publicly obnoxious, but he is doing actual useful things. Zuckerberg is a mediocre guy who lucked into social media hitting when it did. If he were a bit earlier he'd be another MySpace, Friendster, or Sixdegrees.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Go do your name calling in PMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I don't think fuckerberg has an account