Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

H110Hawk posted:

Renters insurance wouldn't replace landlord provided furniture. But yes everyone should have it.
I'm not suggesting it would've fixed it this time. But a good time to get renters' insurance is when you get a bunch of stuff for your apartment, which they're just about to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

00. scented candles

spend less on candles

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I haven't even started painting my house yet, so I'm about two projects ahead of myself now, but whatever I'm bored at work.

I'm thinking about building a short mortared stone wall. It would be two sections, each eight to ten feet, maybe three feet tall, and two feet wide at the absolute most. I'd put a gate between the two walls and maybe some small mounting bracket of some sort for attaching lights. Something roughly like this, although this doesn't appear to be mortar'd:

Mortar will be necessary because buying all rocks that would work for dry stacking would be about five times more expensive than other, more generic stone. ($500 for 1.5 tons of Pennsylvania flat stone vs $60 for 1 ton of...not that stone.) I haven't gone to look at the $60/ton stone yet though, so maybe I'll get lucky and it will be dry stackable.

It sounds like building a wall like that isn't terribly complicated. Dig a trench that reaches below the frost line, lay down tamped crushed stone, then start placing stones and mortaring. That's reductive of course, and there's obviously a lot of technique and artwork to applying mortar that I'm sure I'll gently caress up completely.

What do you guys think, sound reasonable?

Also if I do a great job (hah) I'd absolutely do something foolish and try to build something like this in a future section

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a bit of a dying art but "dry stone walls" have been built for centuries out of whatever stones are lying about, so it might be worth give some online resources a gander before you commit to mortar.

That said, it's probably fine! I loving hate working with mortar, mind you, but it takes all kinds.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
House update.

Im in the process of fixing up a house in multiple stages. I'd like to post an initial progress update:

Here is the front of the house when we bought it:

Here is a picture of the house now, 3 weeks later:

Here is a picture of the back of the house when we bought it:

Here is a picture of it now:

Here is a picture of the house when we bought it:

Here is a picture of it now:

Total number of broken toilets trashed (these do not include the already existing toilets inside the three bathrooms): 5

Thanks for looking!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What the hell is even happening in that first pic? Is it a tarp across the driveway going into a tent made of tarps on the left?

How did you come into possession of this property in such a state?

I have so many questions and need details.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Woahhh you've been busy!! <3 <3

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's a property purchased in the San Francisco Bay Area. This changes a lot of the calculus because:

1) Bay area houses are super expensive due to land. It makes feasible sense to buy a distressed property and completely reform or even demolish/rebuild.
2) Prices for fixing things, while expensive, are minor compared to the cost of purchasing in the first place.

As to the history behind the property? this probably is an essay in itself, but the TLDR:

• Property was previously purchased in 1981 by the daughter of the owner who was working as a real estate agent at that time, for the owner, who was a Korea War/Vietnam War vet/electrician. Owner had already retired at that time.
  • Son of the owner was extremely eccentric and mostly did odd handiman jobs. They were also to some extent a carpenter.
  • Owner grew too old and is at the age of 92 currently.
  • Owner took out many reverse mortgages on their own property, hence the short sale.
  • Son of the owner decided that he liked the look of "overgrown back yard and front yard" for some apparent reason (that all of the neighbors didn't understand but in any case he was a friendly person).
  • Son of the owner decided to build a bird feeding structure in the back yard with 16 bird feeders.
  • This in turn also attracted rats, and the son of the owner tried to lay traps to fix the problem himself with no success because the issue is way more fundamental than that.
  • Being a handyman, the neighbors next door eight years ago decided to build a play house for the day care (that no longer exists) next door for the kids.
  • The son was eccentric and kept building it bigger and bigger until it was just too large.
  • Fast forward to today.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I thought this was a house with a collapsed garage which you had rebuilt as a 2-story garage/apartment at first glance. Looking closer at these small pictures (:argh: jaded burnout, I don't care if you didn't do it) I see that that isn't the case.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I love the gutterfall in the last picture. And the structural sculpture for the bird feeders.

So the tarps are covering a giant play house kinda thing?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I thought this was a house with a collapsed garage which you had rebuilt as a 2-story garage/apartment at first glance. Looking closer at these small pictures (:argh: jaded burnout, I don't care if you didn't do it) I see that that isn't the case.

I dint do nuffin guv

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is the playhouse that little green structure in the back of the last picture? It's very cute

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

It's a property purchased in the San Francisco Bay Area.
[*]Owner took out many reverse mortgages on their own property, hence the short sale.

Yep, there's all the information necessary.

Good job. That looks like it was a hell of a lot of work.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Brute Squad posted:

I love the gutterfall in the last picture. And the structural sculpture for the bird feeders.

So the tarps are covering a giant play house kinda thing?

Yup, the tarps are covering a gigantic wood structure with a carved out boat inside, all made by the previous owner's son, who was eccentric (and a carpenter). They used the sturdiest wood available.

The gutters need to be replaced because the previous owner's son hosed with them.

QuarkJets posted:

Is the playhouse that little green structure in the back of the last picture? It's very cute

The green structure is just a shed. Which is sort of funny because there already is another shed on the property (but the green one is a keeper because it is a truly built shed).

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Sorry for long lists but this is the way of life when dealing with a major fix-up.

These are the different threads we are currently working on specifically tied to contractors/building:

• I have hired a contractor for attic cleanup scheduled for next week for: (1) Removal of all insulation from the attic. (2) Removal of all rat feces from the attic. (3) Patch ups/sealing of the attic for rat prevention as well as for air leaks. The previous folks neglected to do this, so we want this to be done right. The patch ups will also include outside areas of the house (4) Disinfection of all surfaces of the attic; this will include removal of some ply-board for access into other parts of the attic as well for completeness. (5) Rat trapping. (6) Replacement/installation of new insulation.
  • Have been working with a building contractor to itemize/finalize costs for our second floor remodel. We determined that remodeling the second floor bedroom and bathroom was of higher priority to allow for moving in, and will follow up with a full first floor remodel of the kitchen/bathroom/rooms/conversion of 'garage living room' to a bedroom. The reason for this is that a second floor remodel can be completed within 1-2 months and only takes approximately 2-3 weeks by a contractor; permits can be acquired over the counter. A full first floor remodel requires a 2 month permitting process that can be intensive.
  • We purchased tile, flooring, and fixtures/rough ins/replacement toilet on Friday. On Saturday, we found that there was a major two month backorder on the tile that we had selected and substituted a different tile instead. All flooring/tiling/fixtures will arrive within 2-3 weeks which is fair.
  • We finalized and purchased custom cabinets from an interior designer that was used in the past, along with LED mirror for the bathroom.
  • We are currently in the process of drawing up the 'bathroom remodel' plans by ourselves. We visited the city hall about five times before purchase of the house to get a good understanding of the permit requirements. The city also recommended that no architect be hired for the bathroom remodel (that's why we're doing the 2nd floor first), and that either a drafts person or us can draw the bathroom plans. Through this process, we also confirmed out knowledge about past remodels of the house/found what the city had on record as legal (story in itself).
  • We have a Garage door replacement estimate, but are working with another garage door company to get a second quote on Saturday for installation of electronic garage overhead doors.

Here is a list for other things that we have already been doing ourselves:

• I have a purchase of Nisus DSV and a Fogger incoming for the purposes of disinfection. This is stronger than bleach without the residual nastiness that bleach provides. We will use this to spray and sanitize the indoor areas.
  • I have bleached out the back area in between space and 'garage living room' for sanitizing. At this point I realized it's probably better to just get a professional disinfectant to speed things up.
  • I used a shop-vac to clean up rat feces from all of the sheds.
  • Trimmed 2-3 hedges.
  • Chopped a bunch of tiny trees
  • Removed a bunch of weeds and leftover leaves that were never cleaned using a blower. We borrowed the yard waste bins of our neighbors since they are kind and were going to be gone for the week.
  • Remove dust from the garage using shop-vac in preparation for sanitization.

Oh, the attic inspection helped us realize a couple of important things that are very positive:

The furnace and the ducting of the furnace looks very well done and completely intact; does not need to be replaced (I had thought there was a good chance it would need to be).

There is no asbestos in the attic.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 20, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

[*] We have a Garage door replacement estimate, but are working with another garage door company to get a second quote on Saturday for installation of electronic garage overhead doors.

I like the retro manual garage doors. Now paint them avocado green.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Did you all know that Moen will just mail you faucet cartridges for free? Now both my showers have buttery-smooth knobs for zero dollars and less than one hour of work.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

Did you all know that Moen will just mail you faucet cartridges for free? Now both my showers have buttery-smooth knobs for zero dollars and less than one hour of work.

If you're the original owner, yes. If not, call them anyway, they'll cut you a really good deal, even if the shipping is slow.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

ntan1 posted:

Sorry for long lists but this is the way of life when dealing with a major fix-up.

These are the different threads we are currently working on specifically tied to contractors/building:

[list]
[*] I have hired a contractor for attic cleanup scheduled for next week for: (1) Removal of all insulation from the attic. (2) Removal of all rat feces from the attic. (3) Patch ups/sealing of the attic for rat prevention as well as for air leaks. The previous folks neglected to do this, so we want this to be done right. The patch ups will also include outside areas of the house (4) Disinfection of all surfaces of the attic; this will include removal of some ply-board for access into other parts of the attic as well for completeness. (5) Rat trapping. (6) Replacement/installation of new insulation.
Mind if I ask how much this is going to run you? I’m curious about the insulation part, at least.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Mind if I ask how much this is going to run you? I’m curious about the insulation part, at least.

We were quoted around a $1.50/sqft for removal because they didn't want to do it. (It would have pushed the job to a third day for a low margin item.)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
$4.5/sqft total in the bay area, based on attic dimensions.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

how thick are we talking? uk aims for 300mm

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
US seems to use 6 inches.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Does anyone have recommendations for window treatment companies or brands? I’m thinking about getting a combination of honeycomb shades and (maybe) Roman shades throughout the house- the pricing looks like it varies a ton, but I want something I won’t have to replace in 5 years from normal wear and tear.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for window treatment companies or brands? I’m thinking about getting a combination of honeycomb shades and (maybe) Roman shades throughout the house- the pricing looks like it varies a ton, but I want something I won’t have to replace in 5 years from normal wear and tear.

Just don’t order blinds online thinking you’ll save money, it’s a hassle if they send you the wrong thing or if it doesn’t match what you saw online. Have a company show up with samples and measure your windows themselves.

I made this mistake before, it was a pain to get things resolved and they wanted to charge me money to fix it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

We've been happy with blinds.com for our cordless light filtering cell shades. Pay the $160 or whatever to have the person measure and install them for you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My office is in the basement which is partially finished. Problem is that the floor is uneven. A quick Google search suggests using a self-leveling compound to fix this. Everything suggests that this is **easy to use** just mix, pour and smooth. Any insight or recommendations?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ok, follow up on our attempt to acquire a building permit for a remodel of the 2nd floor bedroom and bathroom. We failed to acquire a permit today because:

• The scope was barely slightly greater than the work allowed for over the counter permits. They asked us to schedule a one-stop appointment on Wednesday, since they expect everything to be fine already and just needed to fill some paperwork. They expect it to be done then and complemented us on our effort.

• The city pulled the county records and found that the house is listed as 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, when we indicated that it was 4 bedrooms 2.5 bathrooms. The city says the discrepancy needs to be resolved. The city says that they would be willing to approve the permit if we wrote down 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms on the city form. The city says that they would be easily willing to resolve everything with an update by the county records.
  • We called the county and asked how to fix the discrepancy, and they said that their property records in fact already do show that the house has 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms and that it is within the property record itself but not in the database. They said that they could fix it within 24 hours, except that they couldn't do it this week because they have a one-week hold on the database because property assessments are supposed to go out. They told us to call them back next week and they would be able to fix it quickly.

So in other news, we have a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house until next week, when it will magically be 4 bedroom 2.5 bathrooms!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Glenn Quebec posted:

My office is in the basement which is partially finished. Problem is that the floor is uneven. A quick Google search suggests using a self-leveling compound to fix this. Everything suggests that this is **easy to use** just mix, pour and smooth. Any insight or recommendations?

Self leveling concrete is a bitch and a half to DIY. Don’t even think about it. Pay someone with experience and a crew. Any good flooring store can refer someone.

I wasted $600 in materials trying to do it myself, and ended up with a less level surface than I started with, and there’s no do-overs without my exterior doors not closing right.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

eddiewalker posted:

Self leveling concrete is a bitch and a half to DIY. Don’t even think about it. Pay someone with experience and a crew. Any good flooring store can refer someone.

I wasted $600 in materials trying to do it myself, and ended up with a less level surface than I started with, and there’s no do-overs without my exterior doors not closing right.

Oh god, thank you for letting me know.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ntan1 posted:

Ok, follow up on our attempt to acquire a building permit for a remodel of the 2nd floor bedroom and bathroom. We failed to acquire a permit today because:

• The scope was barely slightly greater than the work allowed for over the counter permits. They asked us to schedule a one-stop appointment on Wednesday, since they expect everything to be fine already and just needed to fill some paperwork. They expect it to be done then and complemented us on our effort.

• The city pulled the county records and found that the house is listed as 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, when we indicated that it was 4 bedrooms 2.5 bathrooms. The city says the discrepancy needs to be resolved. The city says that they would be willing to approve the permit if we wrote down 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms on the city form. The city says that they would be easily willing to resolve everything with an update by the county records.
  • We called the county and asked how to fix the discrepancy, and they said that their property records in fact already do show that the house has 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms and that it is within the property record itself but not in the database. They said that they could fix it within 24 hours, except that they couldn't do it this week because they have a one-week hold on the database because property assessments are supposed to go out. They told us to call them back next week and they would be able to fix it quickly.

So in other news, we have a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house until next week, when it will magically be 4 bedroom 2.5 bathrooms!

Well that all sounds.. not as bad as it could've been!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh god, thank you for letting me know.

Stuff is expensive too... $30/bag, which you mix in a 5 gallon bucket. It doesn't cover nearly as much as you'd think either. I think we probably went through like 35 bags fixing all the floors in our house.

If you do it yourself, buy way more then you think you'll need, and don't try to get clever and only do part of an area... the border between the self level and the rest of the floor is not nearly as flat as you'd want.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any guidance on spraying vs rollers for interior wall painting?

We are going to eventually paint probably ~2/3 of the interior walls in the house in the upcoming year or so. I have a ~4ga Hitachi air compressor for the wood shop and while looking at July 4th sales etc saw sprayers and paint and the like on sale. That got me thinking about whether I should consider buying a sprayer and painting the interior walls with that instead? I would also likely use the sprayer outdoors or in a cabinet to put down finish on woodshop projects etc sometimes, so this wouldn't be a total one off expense if I went that way.

So, is it worth doing, or just a waste of time / effort / expense vs painting with rollers? Given that I already have the compressor etc I was curious if I should take advantage.

If it is worthwhile, any guidance on a cheap / mid-range sprayer to consider for interior paint applications?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

That Works posted:

We are going to eventually paint probably ~2/3 of the interior walls in the house in the upcoming year or so. I have a ~4ga Hitachi air compressor for the wood shop and while looking at July 4th sales etc saw sprayers and paint and the like on sale. That got me thinking about whether I should consider buying a sprayer and painting the interior walls with that instead? I would also likely use the sprayer outdoors or in a cabinet to put down finish on woodshop projects etc sometimes, so this wouldn't be a total one off expense if I went that way.

So, is it worth doing, or just a waste of time / effort / expense vs painting with rollers? Given that I already have the compressor etc I was curious if I should take advantage.

If it is worthwhile, any guidance on a cheap / mid-range sprayer to consider for interior paint applications?

I'm in the middle of rolling most of my house right now. It's probably 10+ hours of work to cut and roll one coat of primer and two coats of paint. I imagine spraying the paint on the wall would be maybe 2 hours, but the prep would be a hours and hours and hours. I can't imagine the effort involved with sealing your floor and every inch of trim would be worth it when cutting+rolling is so easy, if a tad slow.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

A 4 gal compressor will spray paint for about 30 seconds before it kicks on and it’s probably never going to catch up. That being said, it actually can do sort of alright finishing small furniture kind of stuff-I’ve finished a bed before with just a little 4 gal hitachi compressor, but I wouldn’t recommend you do it all the time or you might burn the compressor up. For spraying, you need a fairly high volume of low pressure air, where a pancake compressor can supply a low volume of high pressure air. You would think capacity x pressure= volume and it would even out, but it doesn’t because physics or something.

Lacquer/shellac/polyurethane etc are much less viscous and lower solids than paint and so much easier to spray. A turbine rig like an Earlex will do okay too with a fat enough tip, but it’s not going to get the atomization or control you really need for a fine finish without lots of sanding to get rid of orange peel, and it still struggles with thick paint. I’ve never met a paint sprayer aside from a big professional rig that could compete with brush and roller on time and certainly not price.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 1, 2019

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Speaking of paint,

I live in a super rainy place and the paint on the outside deck that the previous owner applied is peeling like crazy.

After I strip off the old paint, is there any reason not to use chalk paint outside (cost aside)?

I saw a video where a guy mixed tung oil into the chalk paint, and another where they applied tung oil after the fact -- if I do that, will it create problems down the road when I repaint?

edit:
Pretend I said "milk paint" throughout, but I guess we have chalk paint available here as well.

just another fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 1, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That Works posted:

I've wrestled with this one for some time now and despite being in a somewhat ideal situation (rooms with very little needing spray protection) I still haven't done it for a few reasons, but a big one being that you should really roll the paint after spraying anyway, so really you're not saving that much time for interior walls.

Any comparison video I've seen has always been bullshit.

But by all means give it a go and report back with empirical evidence one way or the other.

I'll probably spray cabinetry since a super smooth finish is nice there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks all, seems like not a good way to go after all.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That Works posted:

If you aren't a painter by trade I would not spray walls inside or outside. The setup work is really intense and if you aren't doing it daily it takes a LONG time. 3 of our neighbors just had their houses sprayed and it took the painters a day to set it up. I imagine that means it would take me a week and be done poorly.

That Works posted:

Thanks all, seems like not a good way to go after all.

Just noticed this in the reply screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

This is kind of a dumb simple question but how do people choose baseboard moulding?

Currently, I have something similar to https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alexand...3096C/205958689 which is fine and unoffensive and I don't mind how it looks but it's getting ripped out when I get my floors refinished.

I'm kind of leaning towards something simple and square like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alexandria-Moulding-7-16-in-x-3-1-4-in-x-96-in-Primed-Pine-Finger-Jointed-Base-Moulding-03112-93192C/205576573 (not necessarily those dimensions) but I don't know if there are visual and interior decorating reasons why this style wouldn't work. I also know there are different heights of same styles and I'm not sure how that translates visually (makes a small room look smaller if the moulding is 5 inches instead of 2 and a half for example). So I guess my question is are there kind of rules of thumb as far as how moulding styles and sizes can make a room feel? There is a similar moulding to the one I linked that is 5 1/2" as an example of how would this visually affect the room.

I'm also leaning towards solid wood instead of MDF. Any strongly held opinions on that?