Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lordy, I haven't had my tvätt serviced in forever

best page snype ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gripweed posted:

You can seriously drive all the way across England, long ways, in 27 hours? How is a place that small allowed to be a country?

Let me tell you about Andorra.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

The Bloop posted:

Lordy, I haven't had my tvätt serviced in forever

PM me :wink:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

idgi, it's just a cleaning service van?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

"What do you mean this law won't work on a national scale? Your states can't all be that different!"

China seems to manage fine with one law. :china:
Shhh, no-one mention Hong Kong.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

organburner posted:

idgi, it's just a cleaning service van?

Let none accuse the Swede of a sense of humour.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

thespaceinvader posted:

Let me tell you about Andorra.

How about Sark?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gripweed posted:

My favorite part of Australian history is the dozens of stories of British dudes who decided to explore the country, set off with wagons full of supplies and scientific survey equipment, and then were found three months later by some aborigines, nearly starved to death, 90% of the party dead, tying their feet skin onto their feet to serve as shoes after it fell off.

The Burke and Wills expedition of 1860 to travel overland to the north coast of the continent is pretty much the gold standard of idiot fuckers leading doomed explorations in Australia. The Exploration Committee had the option of picking noted explorers Ferdinand von Mueller or Wilhelm Blandowski as expedition leaders but because of stupid factionalism they instead chose Robert O'Hara Burke who had no exploration or wilderness survival experience. The expedition team of 19 men, 23 horses and 26 camels set off from Royal Park with 20 tonnes of equipment loaded into 6 carts and one cart broke down before they even left the park. A member of the Exploration Committee had offered to ship all their supplies about 600km up river to save them carrying all of it for that first leg but he'd voted against Burke as expedition leader so Burke declined the offer. The expedition's progress was so slow that for the first few nights Burke would ride a horse back to the city so he could visit an underaged actress he was infatuated with.

Even though history records the expedition as "The Burke and Wills expedition" Wills wasn't even the second in command until a month into the journey when the original second in command George Landells and a bunch of other members (including the medic) got fed up with Burke's bullshit and left. An advance team of Burke, Wills and two other people (King and Gray) eventually left the rest of the expedition at a base camp so they could push forwards and they were technically successful in their goal of reaching the north coast when they reached the an estuary in the Gulf of Carpentaria but due to swampland and heavy rains they never actually saw the sea before turning back.

On the way back south they gradually got weaker and sicker from starvation and bickered and fought amongst themselves, accusing each other of faking it when they acted sick and other dumb poo poo. Gray was caught sneaking supplies so Burke beat the crap out of him and he died a few weeks later. The remaining three members stopped for a day to bury Gray's body and regain their strength and when they finally got back to base camp a few days later they discovered that the rest of the expedition had got sick of waiting for them and left that same day (leaving a cache of supplies under a marked tree), and they'd missed them by 9 hours. They rested for two days, left a letter explaining their intentions in the buried cache and then slowly set off, planning on following a creek upstream and then crossing a desert to reach a cattle homestead 240 miles away. Two weeks later some members of the main party returned to the base camp to check if Burke & Wills had made it back but didn't bother digging up the cache so they missed the letter. Burke & Wills were only 35 miles away at this point but their pack animals had all died so they couldn't carry enough water to cross the desert and abandoned their plans to try and reach the distant homestead. Wills actually returned to the base camp a few weeks later and discovered that the other expedition members had returned but hadn't left them any supplies. The Indigenous Yandruwandha people had been trading food with Burke & Wills in exchange for sugar but while Wills was away Burke shot his pistol at the Yandruwandhas so they abandoned them. Burke and Wills died soon after and the remaining expedition member King managed to convince the Yandruwandhas to keep him alive until a rescue expedition found him three months later.

But after all that they still ended up erecting a bunch of statues and monuments to those idiots fuckers:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ok. Got my retirement trip itinerary set!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Burke and Wills expedition of 1860

My favorite detail about this is that the return expedition didn't know Burke had returned to camp because he hadn't bothered to change the date marked on the tree next to the cache.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

one cart broke down before they even left the park

A proto-goon!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wonder if they would have gone through with the expedition if they had they internet and a forum of people relentlessly mocking their every step, or if they'd have given up after the third day too

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

Always go from Twatt to Shitterton, never the other way around

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all getting excited about hauling all the way across England and Scotland for Twatt when you could take a trip to Austria and walk from Hucking to loving in thirty minutes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Besesoth posted:

My favorite detail about this is that the return expedition didn't know Burke had returned to camp because he hadn't bothered to change the date marked on the tree next to the cache.

I hadn't heard of Burke beating up Gray. The story I read was he died more or less out of the blue. Him being beaten to death and just saying he dropped from heat stroke or something makes sense.

I had heard that Burke was famous for getting lost even in regular cities and towns. And among the supplies he felt he needed included a giant oak table, a wardrobe and a Chinese gong.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

MrUnderbridge posted:

"Kids, gather round to hear the story about pee-pop's last big trip before drowning in Twatt."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If you got two hours, this is the funnest way to learn about it:
http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-110-dollop/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

The Burke and Wills expedition of 1860

Is that the one where they brought a bathtub and dining table?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trig Discipline posted:

Y'all getting excited about hauling all the way across England and Scotland for Twatt when you could take a trip to Austria and walk from Hucking to loving in thirty minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXe2WTYngQ

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Trig Discipline posted:

born on a mountain
raised in a cave

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

marshmallow creep posted:

And among the supplies he felt he needed included a giant oak table, a wardrobe and a Chinese gong.

Gripweed posted:

Yep, also 12 dandruff brushes (for the camels), four enema kits, six tonnes of firewood and tonnes and tonnes of other useless poo poo.

But they also only took two field glasses, two watches and twelve water bottles.

Edit: we should also note that their aim was to reach the Gulf of Carpentaria which was 3,250 kilometres (~ 2,000 miles) north of their starting point.

Edit 2: their average speed was about 2 miles per hour (less than normal walking speed), they were slow as gently caress.

quote:

They reached Menindee on 12 October having taken two months to travel 750 km (470 mi) from Melbourne—the regular mail coach did the journey in little more than a week. Two of the expedition's five officers had resigned, thirteen members of the expedition had been fired and eight new men had been hired.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Jun 12, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I see Derek Huff's kid grew up just as expected.

For those of you who haven't seen Step Brothers: https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Derek_Huff

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

minato posted:

born on a mountain
raised in a cave

Lmao

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Gripweed posted:

So Goons demanding grandfather clocks in early LPs of The Oregon Trail was historically accurate for Australia?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Pookah posted:

They shouldn't have skipped Muff.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's why you should never allow Trump to return.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

minato posted:

born on a mountain
raised in a cave

I enjoyed this post.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but most of Australia is uninhabitable wasteland where everyone just lives on the coasts.

Isn't the US something like 95% "empty land"?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Jerry Cotton posted:

a good chunk of that empty land is actually natural beauty preserved for future generations under America's revolutionary National Park system, you gently caress.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gripweed posted:

a good chunk of that empty land is actually natural beauty preserved for future generations under America's revolutionary National Park system, you gently caress.

It's a drat good thing we got it when we did because it sure as hell wouldn't happen now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, but it's not a gigantic desert filled with poisonous monsters and terrifying ambush dinosaurs. The US' empty land is full of trees and stuff.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but it's not a gigantic desert filled with poisonous monsters and terrifying ambush dinosaurs. The US' empty land is full of trees and stuff.

Don't forget the CHUDs that's where most of them live. Rural backwoods fucks.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Jerry Cotton posted:

The great plains are much less empty than the outback, really.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia has roughly the same land area as mainland USA with less than 1/13 the population.

Edit: here's a map of Australia superimposed over the USA. The area shaded red has a population of about 4.6 million, roughly the same as the state of Louisiana (shaded green)

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jun 12, 2019

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's not a contest. Both continents are terrible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Australia has roughly the same land area as mainland USA with less than 1/13 the population.

Probably has to do with the murderous wildlife, raging fires, and totally inhospitable "middle zone". Oh and everything is upside down which is really hosed up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Probably has to do with the murderous wildlife, raging fires, and totally inhospitable "middle zone". Oh and everything is upside down which is really hosed up.

Could be worse. They could be living in Rand McNally.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

mng posted:

It's not a contest. Both continents are terrible.

That's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Samovar posted:

Could be worse. They could be living in Rand McNally.

he can only fit one person inside him at a time, two at most