Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Steve Jobs became my favorite when he died.

I wish more people in silicon valley would try to cure terminal illnesses with fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
My number 1 is Peter Thiel.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

My number 1 is Peter Thiel.

Listen to this bigot attacking literal gay vampires.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

here is the point I was trying to make yesterday: I want to live in a world where cops treat everyone the same way they treat nazis.

Not every cop is bad, but taken as a whole the right wing elements of policing are willing to infiltrate left wing protest groups, kettle them in at protests and pepper spray everyone etc. But the most extreme left wing thing cops are willing to do is to follow the armed nazis around while wearing a pride sticker to make sure they don't attack anyone. And while the cops doing their job and preventing nazis from committing violent acts isn't a bad thing, when compared to the extra legal things some elements of law enforcement are allowed to get away with against anyone to the left of Biden it leaves a sour taste in my mouth

I don't think anyone here in GIP is a bad cop. The problem is that the institution of law enforcement in this country does not give you the framework to be a good cop. At best you can do your job like a normal person with integrity, but you are 100% not equipped to counter the right wing elements. YOU ARE NOT A GOOD JOB. This is not your fault. The system does not allow anyone to be a good job. I know this because I was a marine grunt. The best I could do was not commit war crimes. That doesn't make me good, that makes me neutral. I saw an attempted war crime (thank god the dipshit can't aim) but what the gently caress could I do to report it?

I mean Chichevache can't infiltrate a nazi group because he'd get made instantly by another cop that knows him.

One of the main problems is that there is little overall authority governing police behavior. I think one of the cops talked about how the academies are actually decent, the problem comes when they get to the force. And well, that kinda goes back to what I mean which is that once people get on the force there are always going to be elements pulling people to the right, and the normal cops aren't equipped in any way to combat that.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 12, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's a tangled web to determine who is the worst. Thiel has developed a thoroughly lovely ideology, part of which is the he thinks he should get to live forever. But he's only one guy, albeit he can do a lot of damage with the amount of money he has. He's also part of the reason Facebook and many other stupid startups exist. Zuck is a sociopath who doesn't seem to have much of an ideology behind what he does. His crime is not giving two shits about privacy, and facilitating the activities of a diverse cast of lovely people. Jack is a far less smart version of Zuck who stumbled into his role through dumb luck. He seems to be in the midst of a Steve Jobs speed run, so he'll probably take himself out of the world sooner than later. Unfortunately he's not the only reason Twitter sucks so it won't change much.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
More movement on HR 553 since I last posted on it. The bill is up to 342 cosponsors and is on track to be added to the Consensus Calendar sometime around July 15th. These are the congressfuckers who have cosponsored since May 31st:

Rep. Fortenberry, Jeff [R-NE-1] 06/03/2019
Rep. Higgins, Clay [R-LA-3] 06/03/2019
Rep. Harder, Josh [D-CA-10] 06/03/2019
Rep. Stanton, Greg [D-AZ-9] 06/03/2019
Rep. Omar, Ilhan [D-MN-5] 06/03/2019
Rep. Lucas, Frank D. [R-OK-3] 06/04/2019
Rep. Quigley, Mike [D-IL-5] 06/04/2019
Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16] 06/04/2019
Rep. Keating, William R. [D-MA-9] 06/04/2019
Rep. Lujan, Ben Ray [D-NM-3] 06/06/2019
Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8] 06/06/2019
Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-11] 06/06/2019
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33] 06/10/2019
Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9] 06/10/2019
Rep. Pressley, Ayanna [D-MA-7] 06/10/2019

The losers who haven't signed on yet are:

Alabama: 4th, 6th
Arizona: 5th, 6th
California: 2nd, 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 34th, 35th, 43rd, 45th, 50th
Florida: 3rd, 11th, 19th, 23rd, 27th
Georgia: 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th
Idaho: 1st
Illinois: 3rd, 14th, 18th
Indiana: 1st, 6th, 9th
Kansas: 3rd, 4th
Kentucky: 4th, 5th
Louisiana: 6th
Maryland: 5th
Michigan: 3rd, 13th
Minnesota: 6th
Mississippi: 2nd, 3rd
Missouri: 6th
Nebraska: 3rd
New Hampshire: 2nd
New Jersey: 9th
New York: 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 25th
North Carolina: 1st, 5th, 6th, 10th
Ohio: 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 16th
Oklahoma: 5th
Oregon: 3rd
Pennsylvania: 4th, 9th, 10th
South Carolina: 6th
South Dakota: You only have the one
Texas: 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 27th, 29th, 30th
Washington: 9th
Wisconsin: 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

The Senate has bumped up to 73 with the addition of Bill Cassidy (R-LA). The remaining Senators are:

Shelby, Richard C. - (R - AL)
Isakson, Johnny - (R - GA)
Perdue, David - (R - GA)
Ernst, Joni - (R - IA)
Grassley, Chuck - (R - IA)
Braun, Mike - (R - IN)
Young, Todd - (R - IN)
McConnell, Mitch - (R - KY)
Kennedy, John - (R - LA)
King, Angus S., Jr. - (I - ME)
Hawley, Josh - (R - MO)
Wicker, Roger F. - (R - MS)
Fischer, Deb - (R - NE)
Sasse, Ben - (R - NE)
Portman, Rob - (R - OH)
Lankford, James - (R - OK)
Toomey, Patrick J. - (R - PA)
Reed, Jack - (D - RI)
Thune, John - (R - SD)
Lee, Mike - (R - UT)
Romney, Mitt - (R - UT)
Kaine, Tim - (D - VA)
Warner, Mark R. - (D - VA)
Johnson, Ron - (R - WI)
Barrasso, John - (R - WY)
Enzi, Michael B. - (R - WY)

Weird how these bills have so much more support from Democrats than Republicans.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There is nothing to fix in law enforcement because it is working as intended. Face it, thinking that people shouldn't be subject to summary executions for suspicion of committing a misdemeanor still puts you in the minority of Americans. This country loving loves authority and in lieu of just letting the military run everything the next best thing is a giant gang of half-cocked paramilitary death squads.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ah. Rep. Tom Emmer. Repeat drunk driver, thinks it should be legal to bully gays kids till they kill themselves, and apparently hates war widows.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

McNally posted:

Weird how these bills have so much more support from Democrats than Republicans.

"They're just playing to the military welfare queens."

- A GOP Congressmonster, probably

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Casimir Radon posted:

Ah. Rep. Tom Emmer. Repeat drunk driver, thinks it should be legal to bully gays kids till they kill themselves, and apparently hates war widows.

Send him a case of Military Pride gin.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Send him a case of Military Pride gin.

My stomach lining hurts just thinking of this

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yo get in on this if you have a chance to watch live video right now Bernie is freestyling about the global rise of fascism and taking no prisoners and it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndD23MCDF_k

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

The losers who haven't signed on yet
New York: 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 25th

Ungh. Cmon ny you're better then this

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Ungh. Cmon ny you're better then this

Empirically this is false.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

Empirically this is false.

Clearly. But then again we havent passed the 9/11 first responders bill after 18 years so as a country we loving suck

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm guilty of it too but let's not spam up the thread again.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

Look, it's okay, we all hate war widows

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EBB posted:

Not trying to start a chain or anything. Just pointing out that the only MN congresscritter who hasn't signed on is a massive piece of poo poo.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Adam Smith in WA 9 loves creating veterans too much to do a lot of follow up with them afterward

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

EBB posted:

quote:

During an October 9, 2010, televised debate, Emmer said he would oppose legislation to combat school bullying against gay and lesbian young people. Emmer, who voted against anti-bullying legislation as a state lawmaker, said that teachers are most responsible for halting bullies, but suggested that the threat of lawsuits keeps them from doing so. "I don't think we need more laws; I think we need more understanding," he said.
In 2009, Emmer sponsored a bill that would shorten the period of license revocation for driving under the influence and for refusing to take a sobriety test. Additionally, though "suspected drunken drivers [currently] face revocation before they go to court," Emmer's bill would have delayed revocations until after conviction.

At age 20, Emmer received a driving under the influence-related ticket. In 1991 he pleaded guilty to careless driving while two charges for DWI and a license-plate violation were dropped. Emmer denied that his own drunk driving and legal consequences played a part in the bill, stating, "We all come to the Legislature with life experiences, but it has nothing to do with this bill." Emmer also stated that his sentence in 1981 should have been harsher. Had it been, Emmer felt that he "...probably wouldn't have taken the second chance" that led to his subsequent arrests and guilty plea in 1991.

On May 13, 2010, Emmer was one of three legislators not to vote on a bill that would have provided such tougher penalties for drunk drivers. He said he missed the vote when a previously scheduled lunch ran long.
In 2005, as a state representative, Emmer introduced an amendment that would have eliminated Minnesota's minimum wage law.
On July 5, 2010, after visiting a restaurant in St. Paul, Emmer was asked during a press conference if he supported a tip credit, the policy of allowing businesses to subtract tips from a server's hourly wage. His response was "Yes... if you didn't have a minimum wage law", adding, "somebody could be taking home well over one hundred thousand dollars as a server" while the restaurant owner could be making much less.
Emmer has supported "conscience clause" legislation that would allow pharmacists to refuse to dispense contraception on the basis of "ethical, moral or legal grounds as long as the pharmacist notifies their employer in advance and the employer can ensure a patient has timely access to the drug or device".

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Tom Emmer is that beefy drunk uncle who eventually loses all of his money and becomes a sovereign citizen who shoots a census worker.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not that there is any reason I'd ever want to live in St. Cloud but Bachmann and now Emmer continually getting elected there really drives it home.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

Look, it's okay, we all hate war widows

You're doing great work McNally

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol

https://twitter.com/missmayn/status/1138862715399630848

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They're literally going to give the country away

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh man, loving wyoming. It's so close and but still so angry at the devils lettuce. That's a venture worth wasting money on someday.

Hey nieces and nephews, ever tell you about the time I ran as a democrat in wyoming? Lol, I lost.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

OHMYGOD, and there's only 10 months until the filing deadline!!!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Fun fact, there's no officially declared Republican candidates either in Alaska, Mississippi, Oklahoma, or South Dakota. Guess those states just won't have Senators next cycle! :downs:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 12, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

joat mon posted:

Uh yeah. There's a loving process. You need to be campaigning if anything to get your name and platform out there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fun fact, there's no officially declared Republican candidates either in Alaska, Mississippi, Oklahoma, or South Dakota. Guess those states just won't have Senators next cycle! :downs:

Good.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would assume if there is no electoral victor the state government (R) appoints a senator.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cop chat lock threw me off yesterday but no one has posted anything about Hong Kong?

https://twitter.com/glcarlstrom/status/1138856834251599873

China gonna China but at least my people aren't going to go down without a fight

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/12/street-protesters-dig-in-for-hong-kong-last-battle For background

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

remember when this guy got 28% in the SC senate general?

~blue no matta who~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HER2pGdAak

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Eej posted:

Cop chat lock threw me off yesterday but no one has posted anything about Hong Kong?

https://twitter.com/glcarlstrom/status/1138856834251599873

China gonna China but at least my people aren't going to go down without a fight

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/12/street-protesters-dig-in-for-hong-kong-last-battle For background

I only take my news from these threads and I heard about it so I'm sure it was mentioned. My heart goes to the people of Hong Kong; I hope they succeed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wasabi the J posted:

Uh yeah. There's a loving process. You need to be campaigning if anything to get your name and platform out there.

There is indeed a process and all the candidates are probably following it. None of the potential candidates have the money, time or organization, let alone an articulable need, to start campaigning more than a year before the primaries.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

RE: Fake Zuck, this poo poo is only beginning to get wild.

Coming soon to an election near you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ybLCfVeFL4

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

McNally posted:

More movement on HR 553 since I last posted on it. The bill is up to 342 cosponsors and is on track to be added to the Consensus Calendar sometime around July 15th. These are the congressfuckers who have cosponsored since May 31st:

Rep. Fortenberry, Jeff [R-NE-1] 06/03/2019
Rep. Higgins, Clay [R-LA-3] 06/03/2019
Rep. Harder, Josh [D-CA-10] 06/03/2019
Rep. Stanton, Greg [D-AZ-9] 06/03/2019
Rep. Omar, Ilhan [D-MN-5] 06/03/2019
Rep. Lucas, Frank D. [R-OK-3] 06/04/2019
Rep. Quigley, Mike [D-IL-5] 06/04/2019
Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16] 06/04/2019
Rep. Keating, William R. [D-MA-9] 06/04/2019
Rep. Lujan, Ben Ray [D-NM-3] 06/06/2019
Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8] 06/06/2019
Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-11] 06/06/2019
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33] 06/10/2019
Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9] 06/10/2019
Rep. Pressley, Ayanna [D-MA-7] 06/10/2019

The losers who haven't signed on yet are:

Alabama: 4th, 6th
Arizona: 5th, 6th
California: 2nd, 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 34th, 35th, 43rd, 45th, 50th
Florida: 3rd, 11th, 19th, 23rd, 27th
Georgia: 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th
Idaho: 1st
Illinois: 3rd, 14th, 18th
Indiana: 1st, 6th, 9th
Kansas: 3rd, 4th
Kentucky: 4th, 5th
Louisiana: 6th
Maryland: 5th
Michigan: 3rd, 13th
Minnesota: 6th
Mississippi: 2nd, 3rd
Missouri: 6th
Nebraska: 3rd
New Hampshire: 2nd
New Jersey: 9th
North Carolina: 1st, 5th, 6th, 10th
Ohio: 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 16th
Oklahoma: 5th
Oregon: 3rd
Pennsylvania: 4th, 9th, 10th
South Carolina: 6th
South Dakota: You only have the one
Texas: 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 27th, 29th, 30th
Washington: 9th
Wisconsin: 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

The Senate has bumped up to 73 with the addition of Bill Cassidy (R-LA). The remaining Senators are:

Shelby, Richard C. - (R - AL)
Isakson, Johnny - (R - GA)
Perdue, David - (R - GA)
Ernst, Joni - (R - IA)
Grassley, Chuck - (R - IA)
Braun, Mike - (R - IN)
Young, Todd - (R - IN)
McConnell, Mitch - (R - KY)
Kennedy, John - (R - LA)
King, Angus S., Jr. - (I - ME)
Hawley, Josh - (R - MO)
Wicker, Roger F. - (R - MS)
Fischer, Deb - (R - NE)
Sasse, Ben - (R - NE)
Portman, Rob - (R - OH)
Lankford, James - (R - OK)
Toomey, Patrick J. - (R - PA)
Reed, Jack - (D - RI)
Thune, John - (R - SD)
Lee, Mike - (R - UT)
Romney, Mitt - (R - UT)
Kaine, Tim - (D - VA)
Warner, Mark R. - (D - VA)
Johnson, Ron - (R - WI)
Barrasso, John - (R - WY)
Enzi, Michael B. - (R - WY)

Do you have a spiel I can read to my Senator's office? Joni Ernst retired as a LTC from the IA ARNG, there isn't any excuse why she isn't supporting this.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Everyone shut up

https://twitter.com/ChrisEvans/status/1137781320489193472?s=19

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

dubzee posted:

RE: Fake Zuck, this poo poo is only beginning to get wild.

Coming soon to an election near you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ybLCfVeFL4

Elections are one of the many problems. As novel ways of cutting down on training time on the models we are going to basically be playing catch up worse than anything in IT/cyber security. Extortion, forged documents, people are going die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Faily Stormer shithead now owes a Daily Beast contributor $4.1M

That was a typo but I've decided to keep it