Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Remember when GF created models with an obscene amount of triangles for futureproofing plus walking and running animation for every pokemon up to Gen 7 and din't use them at all?
GF does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

I was honestly waiting for this.

lmfao

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Crosspeice posted:

In this case he seems to be talking about the out of battle animations, which are usually quite complex, despite most players never actually seeing any of them. Makes me wonder why they really bother, like what would you prefer, another round of Pokemon Amie, or the 400 left out Pokemon?

They've really struggled with the advent of 3D and their best method seems to be railroading you into seeing all of the effort, otherwise what's the point?

It would explain why there was no Battle Frontier in ORAS. Recreating that in 3D would be so much effort despite the fact that only a fraction of the playerbase would actively participate in it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ometeotl posted:

THE ASSETS ALREADY EXIST

Even if they could do it now, what about in 5-10 years when they need to make new models and there are like 1000+ Pokémon at that point? They need to set a precedent now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RatHat posted:

Even if they could do it now, what about in 5-10 years when they need to make new models and there are like 1000+ Pokémon at that point? They need to set a precedent now.

Then why would I put my Purugly in Pokemon Home, if there's nothing to do with it besides confirm Nintendo doesn't actually have the balls to delete it?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
"Balance" they say as they add the Wilds area where you can get massively higher level pokemon compared to what you have at the time. Home has to be the online battle time/Battle Castle stuff from other games otherwise you just can't use your buddies unless Gamefreak decide they're popular enough to get into a game.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RatHat posted:

No they don't. Nothing wrong with setting a precedent later when they're doing 4k Pokemon that look horrific as the monsters from their name.

Honestly, I liked 2d fine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i personally feel like gamefreak is just kind of pulling off a bandaid that they would need to take off eventually, because no matter how many excuses people come up with for why they should be able to put absolutely everything into each successive game there's 100% going to be a point where that's not true at all anymore and the fans will just kind of have to come to terms with that just like basically every fan of other long-running videogame series has had to

i guess people can argue if sword/shield is absolutely the point where they need to do it but ultimately we're not exactly ever going to truly know

best case scenario would be home turning out that it's going to serve as a comprehensive competitive thing like some people have said. it seems 'simple' enough to just have it as purely a battle sim without needing to have the surrounding game with everything else involved, so who knows.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If home had Pokemon Island and Pokemon Amie and had all the different Battle thingies it would be ok.

They haven't said that though.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

SpaceCadetBob posted:

This is such a simple solution, and I really want it to be to true, but I don't have any faith in it actually happening.

A lot more reasonable than demanding Game Freak delay SxS so you can use that stunfisk you for some reason still use.

RatHat posted:

The whole point of this is that they don’t want to need to create animations and models for 800+ Pokemon(and even more in the future). So the simple solution to have them do that in a different game instead?

Given that Pokémon Home by it’s nature will be around for at least a couple generations and it won’t particularly need new animations right away, yes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

These games sell 10 million copies a year, they can afford to keep the core aspect of their franchise going further.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Game Freak is proud to announce Pokemon We Sent Your Luvdisk To A Farm Upstate, Where We Swear It's Living Happily Among Other Luvdisks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Beachcomber posted:

If home had Pokemon Island and Pokemon Amie and had all the different Battle thingies it would be ok.

They haven't said that though.

to be fair we basically know NOTHING about home yet other than that it's going to serve as a more centralized bank system and it sort of comes off like they're setting it up to be a thing that covers them for a good while. i figure it housing certain functions like we're spitballing here is equally as likely as most anything else. given how they're stuck in a rut when it comes to revealing stuff at the pace that they do they could very well possibly be able to do nothing but sit on their hands for now until such a reveal happens.

this is all assuming any of this could/would happen. which i'm not saying it particularly will, but, there's probably gonna be something further to home than just 'it's the bank but we renamed it'.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Also lol at the idea of literally the most profitable franchise of all time somehow not having enough resources to port up some animations.

[e] Making Home into a perpetual hub/stadium is genius and would totally let them off the hook so they could do a more curated DEX, but lol at the idea of Nintendo ever being that forward thinking. It would be so loving easy to monetize (cosmetics, Pokemon accessories, etc) and easily funnel people into other Pokemon products (get a *Pokemon X* free if you transfer something from S/S! Do this Pokemon GO event and get *Pokemon Y*! go see detective pikachu 2 to earn a special pikachu with a hat!)

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 12, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

As long as I can import mons from Bank into home and they don't get sucked into a void in the meantime, I don't care all that much if I can play with them in Sword/Shield

Got plenty of new friends to make

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im hardly a die hard competitive pokemoner, but Ive played every singe main line game and still have plenty of pokes that i pull out from gen 3 from time to time to participate in end game stuff. Just for fun you know.

SxS going to the switch was going to be enough to get me to buy my first console since my PS3 back in college.

If home doesn’t come with a way to do online battles, then I honestly ain’t going to get the Switch and SxS. Single one off dumb storylines is not why I play Pokémon, to me it will always be about the collecting, breeding, and battling. And to do that you need access to all the mons.

It’s really a shame because I don’t really like playing on showdown much, and was hoping nintendo finally bringing Pokémon home to the main console would be the start of them broadening the gameplay to include more pvp support.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i personally feel like gamefreak is just kind of pulling off a bandaid that they would need to take off eventually, because no matter how many excuses people come up with for why they should be able to put absolutely everything into each successive game there's 100% going to be a point where that's not true at all anymore and the fans will just kind of have to come to terms with that just like basically every fan of other long-running videogame series has had to

i guess people can argue if sword/shield is absolutely the point where they need to do it but ultimately we're not exactly ever going to truly know

best case scenario would be home turning out that it's going to serve as a comprehensive competitive thing like some people have said. it seems 'simple' enough to just have it as purely a battle sim without needing to have the surrounding game with everything else involved, so who knows.

either they have to make all the assets eventually (and they already have) so they may as well do them now (which they've already done) or they are essentially going to cull some pokemon forever which is unacceptable imo

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Imagine yelling at Game Freak everyday because they only chose two of your favorite Normal/Flying Route 1-esque birds. "You put in Hoothoot but not Spearow!? My hype is dead."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I would be ok with this if Home could handle online battles so I could get the 6v6 double battles I crave.

I'd still be upset that the flagship product of this massive multimedia empire, that recently had a major Hollywood movie debut, is citing resource limitations for something, but at least I could do something with Torkoal in the mean time instead of sending said Torkoal to purgatory as I desperately tweet to build grassroots support to get in Pokemon Cock & Balls or whatever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
*clapping and chanting in an empty room* tor... koal... tor... koal... it can ohko landot with eruption guys c'mon tor... *starts crying* koal... tor...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DrManiac posted:

Also lol at the idea of literally the most profitable franchise of all time somehow not having enough resources to port up some animations.

It's not as simple as just importing the models and animations from Gen 7...

Also they're only not adding these Pokemon for THIS game. Future games will have different removed Pokemon, like what they did in Gen 3. Yes, this sucks, but this is something they'd need to do eventually.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RatHat posted:

It's not as simple as just importing the models and animations from Gen 7...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't understand why people keep seeing "resource limitation" and thinking "but they have so much money" like that's the only possible stumbling block to doing whatever you want in game dev

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Does that Bunnelby not even have a hurt animation?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sword and Shield should have just been Pokken Tournament 2 with a 900+ Pokémon roster. They've got the money!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can’t believe those meanies at Game Freak are locking up my favorite Pokémon *checks list* Standler forever, never ever to be released from gay baby jail into another game.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Blockhouse posted:

I don't understand why people keep seeing "resource limitation" and thinking "but they have so much money" like that's the only possible stumbling block to doing whatever you want in game dev

Also they're moving from a handheld to a console. Everyone always thought that when that happened EVERYTHING would expand in scope, because of the increased processing and storage.

Now we're being told that things are actually getting smaller.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Takoluka posted:

Sword and Shield should have just been Pokken Tournament 2 with a 900+ Pokémon roster. They've got the money!

Takoluka posted:

Imagine yelling at Game Freak everyday because they only chose two of your favorite Normal/Flying Route 1-esque birds. "You put in Hoothoot but not Spearow!? My hype is dead."

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh weird you picked like the most extreme example to support your non-argument

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I saw this in another thread and it needed to be here.

Byzantine posted:

We're gonna be doing one thing and one thing only - killin' Natzis. Sound good?

Rai rai chu!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Beachcomber posted:

Does that Bunnelby not even have a hurt animation?

It's the same one it has in Sun & Moon, which is the same one as in X&Y.

In other words, they imported the model and animation from gen 7. Which they imported from gen 6.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They have the money to increase their studio's size and let Pokemon, the multimedia juggernaut born from a videogame, take a longer development cycle.
Instead it's GameFreak's B-Team obligation to make a new entry each year, and have chosen to continue to pretend patching is not a real thing outside of game-breaking bugs.

Like, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that getting new animations (which are just for camping stuff and miscellaneous, somehow not the flagship combat that the games are based around) on 800+ pokemon takes too much time to release the game with. However, Home is already slated to launch sometime Next year. Update SS every few months with a batch of pokemon, or delay Home until you can put all the pokemon on SS.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I mean, OFS keeps doing the dumb bunny gif thing when they're actually doing map animations and poo poo for Pokemon so...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

*clapping and chanting in an empty room* tor... koal... tor... koal... it can ohko landot with eruption guys c'mon tor... *starts crying* koal... tor...

Torkoal died so that Drednaw may live

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Beachcomber posted:

Also they're moving from a handheld to a console. Everyone always thought that when that happened EVERYTHING would expand in scope, because of the increased processing and storage.

Now we're being told that things are actually getting smaller.

Yeah I didn't actually expect them to move to consoles ever, but if they did, I kind of assumed it'd be some absolutely bonkers huge thing with like the entire world and a thousand mons and 60 gyms and who even knows. Bigger fields with better graphics is fine and all... it does feel a bit :effort:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

https://twitter.com/MKriisan/status/1138794942023815168?s=20

Sorry if I think y'all are being really weird about this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They have the money to increase their studio's size and let Pokemon, the multimedia juggernaut born from a videogame, take a longer development cycle.
Instead it's GameFreak's B-Team obligation to make a new entry each year, and have chosen to continue to pretend patching is not a real thing outside of game-breaking bugs.

"Increase the studio's size" is also not a magic bullet to game dev problems. First, you have to actually have enough qualified people to hire when you're trying to staff up, and then you need to make sure you either have or can hire competent managers for those teams because nothing will kill a development process faster than poor communication and huge spread-out groups of people who have no idea what anyone else is doing. Then you're stuck with the third resource beyond money and people - time. Games choke to death on these problems all the time - there's an article on Kotaku about Star Wars 1313 slowly dying for five years because of a situation exactly like that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I get that they can't keep expanding the game forever, but they pretty much announced it in the worst possible way. Three weeks after talking about how using the same pokemon across multiple games is a core part of the franchise's appeal, they announce that some pokemon cannot be used in the newest one - and they don't say anything about possible future support, nor do they mention which ones are going to become unsupported. So everybody's wondering, worrying, about whether their favorites (every pokemon is somebody's favorite) are just going to be banished from the series forever. It really harms the collection aspect of these games. With that possibility looming overhead, it's hard to be enthusiastic about the new stuff.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dias posted:

I mean, OFS keeps doing the dumb bunny gif thing when they're actually doing map animations and poo poo for Pokemon so...

They reused those too. I compared Snorlax, Butterfree, Rhydon, and Golurk to the footage from last week's direct. They finally found a place for the unused walking animations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Uh, unless i'm misunderstanding something, this isn't the same as RSE not having every pokemon from Gens 1 and 2. Last I checked, when FRLG came out, you could trade all of the unavailable pokemon over to the Hoenn games. You couldn't catch them, but their data was still in the game.

But over here in Gen 8, Masuda is saying that you straight up cannot use any pokemon not in the Galar Dex.

Now you're probably thinking, "Gee that'd be awful if you can never use any pokemon on the list, surely they'll patch them in at a later date." And I would agree, because it's completely illogical to maintain a living bank of pokemon from generation to generation and never let you use the majority of them ever again. Then why the gently caress hasn't GameFreak said anything about patching in more pokemon later?

Maybe i'm being needlessly cynical, but I feel like if they were going to assuage our fears, they would have done so by now. They know people are reacting negatively towards the news, and I can't see why they aren't doing a better job at damage control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blockhouse posted:

"Increase the studio's size" is also not a magic bullet to game dev problems. First, you have to actually have enough qualified people to hire when you're trying to staff up, and then you need to make sure you either have or can hire competent managers for those teams because nothing will kill a development process faster than poor communication and huge spread-out groups of people who have no idea what anyone else is doing. Then you're stuck with the third resource beyond money and people - time. Games choke to death on these problems all the time - there's an article on Kotaku about Star Wars 1313 slowly dying for five years because of a situation exactly like that.

That is a fair point, it would not magically fix things and indeed it would be a move that would take a lot of time and resources.

It simply feels like GF has chosen very wrong moves with their organization when their flagship titles are publicly for their secondary team, and the move to needing to expand to an HD console was known internally for enough years to carefully prepare for it.