Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He also keeps casually showing up at weddings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
I've learned that if there's ever an apocalypse, I need to find Keanu Reeves.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

. And if anybody wants to fight Jackie Chan, I'm gonna fight you, the monster you clearly are.
Make A Wish must answer for their crimes.
https://lifestyle.clickhole.com/4-times-jackie-chan-wept-when-he-was-forced-to-beat-up-1825123040

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Keanu Reeves got so trained for John Wick that he's basically a professional 3-gun shooter now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii9_oWQ7HY

The dude can load 2 shells into a shotgun at once. He's the most lethal actor in the world right now.

The most impressive thing to me is him sweeping up his own brass.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

12 loving years I've been on these forums and someone finally understands where my username comes from.

Thank you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh yeah, Halle Berry went through similar training for John Wick 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2RJPrY2Og

So that's two people to join up with in the apocalypse.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just LOL if you dont blow your brains out when the apocalypse happens.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Where can I go shooting guns with hot chicks watching me, and how much does it cost?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ram/1419726001/

:stare:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well you can't freeze the *entire* body because of accidental zombies

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ada posted:

I've learned that if there's ever an apocalypse, I need to find Keanu Reeves.

Finding Keanu Reeves would improve most days, not just the apocalypse

cnut
May 3, 2016

It would be funny that if in the future they could bring you back to life but only if your head was still attached to your body.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Does the technology even preserves tissues better than just sticking the head inside a fiord or something?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The very rapid freezing from liquid nitrogen makes it so that the water-ice crystals form as multiple smaller crystals, instead of larger ones that rip the cells apart as they freeze.
If this matters at all is purely hypothetical until we can actually revive people. I suspect the technology will demand complex pre treatment before freezing \ while dying, when it eventually exists.

As it is right now it's just a huge scam, though I imagine for the people dying, it might be more of a 'what do I have to lose?' proposition.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

SubNat posted:

The very rapid freezing from liquid nitrogen makes it so that the water-ice crystals form as multiple smaller crystals, instead of larger ones that rip the cells apart as they freeze.
If this matters at all is purely hypothetical until we can actually revive people. I suspect the technology will demand complex pre treatment before freezing \ while dying, when it eventually exists.

As it is right now it's just a huge scam, though I imagine for the people dying, it might be more of a 'what do I have to lose?' proposition.

And starting the process before you die means there's a good chance that the process itself would kill you. Which is problematic, legally.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Jun 12, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

By popular demand posted:

Does the technology even preserves tissues better than just sticking the head inside a fiord or something?

There is a great memoir by someone who worked at Alcor in the early days that suggests their quality control is not all that clients might hope for.

Actually, there are two: Freezing People Is (Not) Easy, by Bob Nelson, and Frozen: A True Story, by Larry Johnson. I’m pretty sure it was Johnson’s book that tells the story of baseball legend Ted Williams’s head being balanced on a tuna can, and Nelson’s book that tells the story of the dewars (big glass jugs) that cracked and had all the nitrogen boil out, but it’s been a while since I read them and could be misremembering.

Edit to add: it is Johnson with the tuna can allegations, as discussed by ESPN here. Both of these books are good reading if you like train wrecks.

To the below, a lot of the cryonics gang are atheists. A surprising number are obscure science fiction writers. Charles Platt, for example, is a tireless cryonics apologist all over the Internet.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Jun 12, 2019

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

AlbieQuirky posted:

There is a great memoir by someone who worked at Alcor in the early days that suggests their quality control is not all that clients might hope for.

I get the feeling that these places are just above the "Rapture Pet Insurance" companies. They only hire atheists, and you pay them to take care of your pets once the Rapture whisks you away. Seems like the perfect scam.

e: the rapture insurance companies only hire atheists. I have no idea about the hiring policies of the frozen head companies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Azathoth Prime posted:

I get the feeling that these places are just above the "Rapture Pet Insurance" companies. They only hire atheists, and you pay them to take care of your pets once the Rapture whisks you away. Seems like the perfect scam.

e: the rapture insurance companies only hire atheists. I have no idea about the hiring policies of the frozen head companies.

That's brilliant. The way an Evangelical will accept an atheist.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Actually, there are two: Freezing People Is (Not) Easy, by Bob Nelson, and Frozen: A True Story, by Larry Johnson. I’m pretty sure it was Johnson’s book that tells the story of baseball legend Ted Williams’s head being balanced on a tuna can, and Nelson’s book that tells the story of the dewars (big glass jugs) that cracked and had all the nitrogen boil out, but it’s been a while since I read them and could be misremembering.

Edit to add: it is Johnson with the tuna can allegations, as discussed by ESPN here. Both of these books are good reading if you like train wrecks.

To the below, a lot of the cryonics gang are atheists. A surprising number are obscure science fiction writers. Charles Platt, for example, is a tireless cryonics apologist all over the Internet.
I saw an article somewhere claiming that, yeah, they frequently don't even not gently caress up the primitive and probably grossly inadequate techniques we have right now. During the initial freezing stage, that is.

Ah, here it is: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/everybody-freeze-pein

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Doctors stunned to find hundreds of tiny balls inside teenage girl

quote:

A teenager addicted to bubble tea was left in agony after drinking too much of the flavoured East Asian milk drink.

Her obsession led to her hospitalisation, and doctors were stunned to find more than 100 bubble tea “pearls” accumulated inside her and stuck to her digestive tract.

Xiao Shen was prescribed a strong laxative and was able to pass the pearls.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dammit, why couldn’t the cure have been a strong diuretic? I could have made a bubble pee joke. That would have been better, comedically.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Dammit, why couldn’t the cure have been a strong diuretic? I could have made a bubble pee joke. That would have been better, comedically.

As some one who in the last year had a stint in their genitals, fuuuuuuuuuuuck you for that flash back of horror and pain

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tapioca is digestible, though?

Was some company making bubble tea pearls out of plastic or some other indigestible substance to save money?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jabor posted:

Tapioca is digestible, though?

Was some company making bubble tea pearls out of plastic or some other indigestible substance to save money?

There are theories the company making these particular pearls used additives that made the starch even harder to digest, or that the girl had some digestive tract disorder and couldn't handle that many at once.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Burkion posted:

As some one who in the last year had a stint in their genitals, fuuuuuuuuuuuck you for that flash back of horror and pain
Meanwhile I'm just thinking machine gun penis

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We were all thinking it. You were just the only one saying it

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Zereth posted:

I saw an article somewhere claiming that, yeah, they frequently don't even not gently caress up the primitive and probably grossly inadequate techniques we have right now. During the initial freezing stage, that is.

Ah, here it is: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/everybody-freeze-pein

That's only part of the shitshow that's cryonics. Even if they do get the remains frozen, they can still gently caress things up. It's been a while since I last went reading, but facilities have had freezer failures and bodies go missing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milo and POTUS posted:

We were all thinking it. You were just the only one saying it
It's hard being the brave one, which makes aiming difficult

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Why would some future society wanna revive some dude? Isn't the brain and your mind a complex mess of firing neurons, a soup of chemicals, and some meat? You think you they can bring you back from some chunk of ice? Good luck dude.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
I mean if scientists today could revive some random dude from ancient Rome or whatever, they surely would for a trove of anthropological knowledge. Not that we'll have the technology anytime soon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doverhog posted:

Why would some future society wanna revive some dude? Isn't the brain and your mind a complex mess of firing neurons, a soup of chemicals, and some meat? You think you they can bring you back from some chunk of ice? Good luck dude.

Transmetropolitan had a fun take on what happens even if they DO have the technology to revive cryogenically frozen heads in the distant future.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Azathoth Prime posted:

I get the feeling that these places are just above the "Rapture Pet Insurance" companies.

Misread this as 'Raptor Pet Insurance' and couldn't figure out if it insured your pet raptor or if it insured your pet against raptor attacks.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Transmetropolitan had a fun take on what happens even if they DO have the technology to revive cryogenically frozen heads in the distant future.

Well, don't leave us hanging!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

artsy fartsy posted:

Well, don't leave us hanging!

Well fine. They end up entering a society that's both familiar and completely alien in all the worst ways and almost immediately become shocked and traumatised, and society considers its job done by fulfilling the ancient pact then kicks them out onto the street to fend for themselves since everything they ever owned is long gone, and they end up just yet another kind of transient undesirable in a world that's already trying to ignore plenty of its own problems.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

and the claw won! posted:

I mean if scientists today could revive some random dude from ancient Rome or whatever, they surely would for a trove of anthropological knowledge. Not that we'll have the technology anytime soon.

How much would a random person even know about anything? Would one nowadays random person be able to tell how most things, hell, anything works, even considering we can search for something online?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samuringa posted:

How much would a random person even know about anything? Would one nowadays random person be able to tell how most things, hell, anything works, even considering we can search for something online?

Depends on what kind of knowledge you're looking for. Not everything was written down as it was considered just something everyone knew in their daily lives, like exactly how you would cook a particular meal or bake bread without a strictly written recipe.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Most importantly you can ask them if they heard the Good News.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just for one example I'm pretty sure nearly everything we know about ancient boats and ships is basically guesswork, since people at the time didn't bother describing them since they could assumed everyone knew what a boat looked like the same way we assume everyone knows what a car looks like.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Most importantly you can ask them if they heard the Good News.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Samuringa posted:

It's not about knowing how things work so much as about knowing... IDK.

"What does it mean to 'swipe right'? Why was that a positive thing?"
"Did the 'thin blue line' refer to all of the police, or just the Sheriff's Departments?"
"Why was diet coke viewed as being effeminate?"

Social poo poo that people from the period know about through cultural osmosis but which isn't likely to be documented in any enduring form, and which future historians are likely to come across only as passing references in surviving sources.