Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Hell yeah let my 1080 run hogge wilde (coming from a 2500k)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Seamonster posted:

I'm also eyeing a 3700x coming from a 2500k... 8 years of waiting finally pays off!

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
You guys who went for a 2500k over a 2600k 8 years ago, haven't you learned *anything*. 3900X or bust :q:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Threadkiller Dog posted:

You guys who went for a 2500k over a 2600k 8 years ago, haven't you learned *anything*. 3900X or bust :q:

I learned I don't need to spend $500 for a CPU that will last 8 years

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm also eyeing a 3700x coming from a 2500k... 8 years of waiting finally pays off!

:same: But I'm going to wait for comprehensive gaming benchmarks and for the initial price-gouging from retailers to pass before I start buying parts. I won't be surprised if the $329 3700X is going for ~$400 the first few weeks after launch.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Have UK prices been confirmed for Ryzen 2 chips yet?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Show me those min frames so I can decide which CPU I'm going to buy :3:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

I learned I don't need to spend $500 for a CPU that will last 8 years

Pro move is buying the 3950X and immediately shut off half the cores. Then, every year you enable two of them at a time. :smug: Thank me later.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just replaced my 2500k crew chiming in. Went with an R5 2600 in a B450 tomohawk with some 3200 c16. Idea is when I see a Zen 2 chip or a good x570 board on sale, I can jump on it without needing ram, proc and board all at once.

I would have waited, but my last of 3 Z77 boards started to get flakey, I've had to drop my overclock down to about 4400 and the thread count/ram bandwidth alone will make up for any differences in pure CPU grunt.

gently caress, my GTX980 will probably never be cpu limited in this thing even at 1080 anyway. I for one welcome our new AMD overlords.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

incoherent posted:

Pro move is buying the 3950X and immediately shut off half the cores. Then, every year you enable two of them at a time. :smug: Thank me later.

lmbo

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Uhhhhh
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1138443875154944000

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Every part of the silicon buffalo.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

eames
May 9, 2009

That’s genius.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

eames posted:

That’s genius.

i mean if you are locked into a dumb silicon deal with GF might as well stick them to I/O parts.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I dunno, I think that's pretty awesome. Chiplets are wild, and this is the kind of weird science I never expected.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13495867

First 3950x benchmark. 5868 Single-Core, 61072 (!) Multi-Core. drat

And this is with non-final silicon clocked at 3.3GHz base, 4.3GHz boost.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Seamonster posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don Dongington posted:

Just replaced my 2500k crew chiming in.

jesus christ just merge the Intel/AMD threads into one titled "x86: we literally can't stop talking about sandy bridge"

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
My 2500k will never loving die, even with OC abuse, help how can I kill it to justify buying the new AMD poo poo?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

pyrotek posted:

On an X470 :chanpop:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Otakufag posted:

My 2500k will never loving die, even with OC abuse, help how can I kill it to justify buying the new AMD poo poo?

Have you ever checked how it runs overclocked without a fan, during a stress test, over and over again, using the highest voltage you can access on your motherboard?

Edit: or maybe find the highest OC and voltage combo you can manage and set your fan to run so you keep it at maximum temperatures before it automatically resets and run a cpu stress test on it constantly whenever you aren't actively using it.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 12, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pyrotek posted:

Have you ever checked how it runs overclocked without a fan, during a stress test, over and over again, using the highest voltage you can access on your motherboard?

Edit: or maybe find the highest OC and voltage combo you can manage and set your fan to run so you keep it at maximum temperatures before it automatically resets and run a cpu stress test on it constantly whenever you aren't actively using it.

CPU glows with the heat of molten aluminum, still runs Cinebench

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

CPU glows with the heat of molten aluminum, still runs Cinebench

You didn’t see molten aluminum because there isn’t molten aluminum!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

thats an unexpected advantage to just using PCIe links for everything. that also gives them the flexibility in the future to harvest IO dies with broken memory controllers, too.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

pyrotek posted:

If I'm reading this right, it scored 131% of the multi-core performance of the 18 core Intel chip and it's not even running at full clocks?

Oh, and the Intel chip it beats costs $2000. drat indeed.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If I'm reading this right, it scored 131% of the multi-core performance of the 18 core Intel chip and it's not even running at full clocks?

Oh, and the Intel chip it beats costs $2000. drat indeed.

That is what it looks like, although it could be that 4.3GHz is the stock all-core boost limit for the chip and it is running at full clocks. Either way, it is extremely impressive.

Of course, even if that is the stock all-core maximum, single-core benchmarks should improve some with the 4.7GHz boost speed.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Bear in mind that geekbench's multicore benchmark is weird and gives a lot of weight to performance in applications that don't really scale with core count. The 32-core 2990WX scores 27653, for instance, putting it just behind a 6-core i7-8086K at 27779. I'm sure that's correct by whatever metric they use -- I'm guessing they bake a bunch of codec and stream processing -- but it's an absolutely ludicrous ranking for the sort of work where a 32 core CPU is a relevant consideration.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pyrotek posted:

just wire up SocketKiller, the sequel to EtherKiller

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Otakufag posted:

Ln2 and volt mods

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

just wire up SocketKiller, the sequel to EtherKiller

on this note I've kinda been wondering what happens if you plug a normal GPU into Apple's new PCIe-as-power-bus thing

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

on this note I've kinda been wondering what happens if you plug a normal GPU into Apple's new PCIe-as-power-bus thing
The extra power comes from additional slot behind the normal one.

eames
May 9, 2009

Can anybody else think of fun functionality coming from reusing the Matisse I/O die as the chipset?
The twitter thread mentions repurposing DDR4 memory controllers as DRAM cache for SSDs. I suppose they could also put a nearly worthless 1-core chiplet on there so one could reflash the BIOS or reinstall windows without a CPU in the socket. They could also put a Vega 10 GPU on the chipset for a few extra bucks, turning regular CPUs into APUs.

Otakufag posted:

My 8700K gets 1.45V after recent AMD news. :kimchi:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

pyrotek posted:

That is what it looks like, although it could be that 4.3GHz is the stock all-core boost limit for the chip and it is running at full clocks. Either way, it is extremely impressive.

Of course, even if that is the stock all-core maximum, single-core benchmarks should improve some with the 4.7GHz boost speed.

That single core score is insane for 4.3GHz too, it crushes my Skylake chip which is sitting at 4.4GHz.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gems of self awareness sometimes come from Reddit:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

You didn’t see molten aluminum because there isn’t molten aluminum!

I was in the toilet, what did I miss?

But seriously, I won't kill my 2500k on purpose but after I build my new system I'm probably going to retire it because I won't get much for it on ebay and I would have to buy a new PSU for my 2500k rig as well because my current HX650 PSU is also 8 years old.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 12, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spasticColon posted:

But seriously, I won't kill my 2500k on purpose but after I build my new system I'm probably going to retire it because I won't get much for it on ebay and I would have to buy a new PSU for my 2500k rig as well because my current HX650 PSU is also 8 years old.

Dunno if it's still the case with 6+ cores becoming the norm and DDR4 speeds going into the stratosphere, but a while ago you could sell a working Z series Sandy mainboard for several 100$

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Dunno if it's still the case with 6+ cores becoming the norm and DDR4 speeds going into the stratosphere, but a while ago you could sell a working Z series Sandy mainboard for several 100$

Unfortunately, my Sandy Bridge board is a P67 series. I might sell the RAM though. Everything else is my system is so old I don't think I could resell it for much. Does used DDR3 RAM (Two different 2x4GB kits) fetch a good price?

But first I just want to build a 3600X or 3700X rig in August and move only my GTX1070 over to the new rig. Re-using the video card is going to save me $300-$400 on my next build which is nice. Or is the GTX1070 not going to cut the mustard for 1080p60 gaming much longer?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I noticed that ASRock released the updated BIOS for my motherboard, so I did some messing around with underclocking/undervolting. I've always run everything stock, so I wanted to learn how this all worked before the 3X00s dropped.

I used one of my 2700 machines for this. Before changing anything, here's what it looked like:

* All cores boosted to 3300MHz at full load (100MHz over base clocks)
* System power of 24.5W at idle
* System power of 104.5W at full load (all threads 100% utilization)

I read in a couple of places on the internet that Ryzen systems were ridiculously efficient, if you wanted them to be. I now agree. I was expecting to fiddle endlessly with things to get single-digit wattage reductions, but the very first thing I tried:

* Turn off XFR/PBO (labelled as "AMD CBS" in my mobo's bios)
* Set overclocking mode to "manual"
* Leave CPU clock at stock (3200MHz)
* Set Vcore offset to -100mV

And rebooted. Under full load, the entire system was now pulling 86W. That's an 18.5W drop just from telling the CPU to stop overclocking itself, and the Vcore offset. Also, the CPU is running about 10C cooler than it was previously.

I am crazy excited for the 3900X now.

Edit: my load testing is the work these machines are usually doing: scientific grid computing tasks. Not all tasks are created equal. I just observed total system draw at 92W, so there's going to be some up and down, clearly. I'm still happy with how dramatic the reductions are for so little effort.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 13, 2019

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Seeing as I've been playing low utilization games lately, maybe I'll undervolt my CPU and GPU and post the results. It's hot in the summer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The 3900X and 3950X are pretty cool and exciting but overkill for gaming at the moment. But if you're a content creator and/or run A LOT of VMs then yeah, the 3900X and 3950X will be fantastic values from a price/performance standpoint. Intel is probably freaking the gently caress out right now. :derp:

Edit: Or if I had the money to burn I'd build a 3950X rig and run scientific apps on it like Folding@home and/or SETI@home. :science:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 13, 2019